PLD Helm
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-05-02 21:05:21
Link | Citer | R

I just got the Koenig Schaller and now have quite the pld helm collection.

I have the Valor Coronet for Rampart and healing.

I have the Aegishjalmr for enmity. I use it for provoke but also Flash, warcry, anything that gives me hate and I don't have a better helm for.

I just got the Koenig Schaller. I'm assuming this is what I should fulltime.

I also have the Adaman Barbuta.

Which one's should I use and for what? Which should I get rid of?

[+]
 Cerberus.Eanae
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2010-05-02 21:17:53
Link | Citer | R

Toss adaman, not really worth carrying around valor though it doesn't hurt.

Flash: Walahra Turban
Job Abilities: Aegishjalmr
Blood tanking and Ustusemi Ichi: Koenig Schaller
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-05-02 21:18:34
Link | Citer | R

Ditch the Adaman Barbuta--get Iron Ram Sallet.
[+]
 Garuda.Galadriel
Serveur: Garuda
user: Galadriel
By Garuda.Galadriel 2010-05-02 21:21:35
Link | Citer | R

You have it right for the most part, tho you may want to look into a TP setup that has more acc and haste. Another thing to consider is a mix of Shield Skill and Haste Gear for Ichi casting if u start playing Pld/Nin. Since Ichi has a low recast time you can afford a little more shield skill gear so u block more and less often get interrupted.

On a side note i wouldn't bother macroing a valor coronet for cures as it will make you blink when mages are trying to heal you. Healing skill probably wont make or break anything anyhow.

Valor coronet isn't worth it unless you have Iron Will macros which will let you cast nearly anything without interruption for 45 seconds. I've found it really nice for things that attack a bit fast.
[+]
 Shiva.Lucant
Serveur: Shiva
user: Lucant
By Shiva.Lucant 2010-05-02 21:24:22
Link | Citer | R

ditch all of them and main a walahra turban for head piece
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-02 21:25:03
Link | Citer | R

Blinking shouldn't matter unless your mages suck.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-02 21:25:09
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Ditch the Adaman Barbuta--get Iron Ram Sallet.
^ but for your MDT set only, your other pieces cover everything else as far as I can see.
[+]
 Shiva.Lucant
Serveur: Shiva
user: Lucant
By Shiva.Lucant 2010-05-02 21:32:01
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:

I have the Aegishjalmr for enmity. I use it for provoke but also Flash, warcry, anything that gives me hate and I don't have a better helm for.

nobody cares what helmets you got for PLD,beside you aint gonna be tanking anything big like a HNM anytime soon
[+]
 Bismarck.Evolex
user: Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-05-02 21:33:49
Link | Citer | R

HAI CHAS!!

Pretty much what everyone said. Ditch the purple adaman head.

Flash/NI/repris/anything needing lower recasts - Wally head
Ichi casting/both shadow timers down - koenig schaller
Aegis - JA/cure/cure kit
MDT/MDB - Iron Ram head
Idle - wally head or enmity headpiece
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-02 21:35:20
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Eanae said:

@ op: This is exactly right. Well. almost, I would suggest that at your stage you could carry around coronet for rampart macro and not be sacrificing anything else due to space concerns.

Edit: Just saw you were on bis. Feel free to send me a tell if you need any advice. You can avoid idiots like Lucant that way.
 Odin.Lowblow
Serveur: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-05-02 21:54:41
Link | Citer | R

Turban = haste
enmity = for your hate gathering
shield skill for ichi cast / shadows down or straight tank
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2010-05-02 22:34:43
Link | Citer | R

here is my opinion

1: Sell Adaman Barbuta
2: get W.Turban if you dont have
3: work on getting Bahamut Mask, Aegishjalmr is fine for now tho
4: Get Iron Ram for MDT
5: Valor Coronet is useful for a Rampart VIT build only (Magic Shield tests have shown that the amount of damage Rampart absorbs is variable. The currently accepted formula for damage absorbed seems to be VIT*2.), i have 2 rampart macro's 1 for just pure enmity and one for VIT build depends what i tank depends on what macro i use.
6: Koenig Schaller for Ichi, W.Turban for Ni
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-02 22:36:12
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
[+]
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
Serveur: Alexander
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-05-02 22:46:47
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Lucant said:
ditch all of them and main a walahra turban for head piece
Please ignore this troll he has no idea. :/

Bismarck.Altar said:
Cerberus.Eanae said:
Toss adaman, not really worth carrying around valor though it doesn't hurt. Flash: Walahra Turban Job Abilities: Aegishjalmr Blood tanking and Ustusemi Ichi: Koenig Schaller
@ op: This is exactly right. Well. almost, I would suggest that at your stage you could carry around coronet for rampart macro and not be sacrificing anything else due to space concerns. Edit: Just saw you were on bis. Feel free to send me a tell if you need any advice. You can avoid idiots like Lucant that way.

^that is what i would have said.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-05-02 22:58:22
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Galadriel said:
On a side note i wouldn't bother macroing a valor coronet for cures as it will make you blink when mages are trying to heal you. Healing skill probably wont make or break anything anyhow.
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Both very good points.
I noticed this issue, but as a whm I felt that if anything it would teach them how to be a better healer. But you are right Galadriel, getting cured by the healer quickly is better than the +10 to healing skill.

Thanks for the input. 99% of it was very good info. I do have the walahra turban and it is in my fast cast set. I never considered it but I see your point.

What I am thinking now is to ditch the valor coronet because when I use Rampart I'm usually more concerned about getting as much hate as possible from it. So then I can only carry around a Schaller, Aegis and Turban.

Oh right, the Iron Ram Sallet. I think I will wait to get that until I am doing a lot of tanking for a linkshell.

Thanks again!
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2010-05-03 01:19:39
Link | Citer | R

I'd like to add that with regards to the Valor Coronet, I tried macroing it in for cures for a bit, really noticed no difference in cures so I took it out.

Only thing that will affect your cures will be stuff with cure potency and the only item PLD gets (besides weapon slot items) is the Hospitaler Earring, well worth it if you don't have it in my opinion.
 Bismarck.Aryden
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-05-03 01:52:58
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Altar said:
Cerberus.Eanae said:

@ op: This is exactly right. Well. almost, I would suggest that at your stage you could carry around coronet for rampart macro and not be sacrificing anything else due to space concerns.

Edit: Just saw you were on bis. Feel free to send me a tell if you need any advice. You can avoid idiots like Lucant that way.

Cant go wrong with Altar advice.

But again, look into Askar/Homam Head for tping, W.turban for flash and ni, Koenig for ichi/stoneskin/phalanx. Aeg for sentinel, shield bash, voke if youre blood tanking, atonement etc.
Quote:
I'd like to add that with regards to the Valor Coronet, I tried macroing it in for cures for a bit, really noticed no difference in cures so I took it out.

Only thing that will affect your cures will be stuff with cure potency and the only item PLD gets (besides weapon slot items) is the Hospitaler Earring, well worth it if you don't have it in my opinion.

This is only partially true. Healing magic skill effects the amount healed marginally. Vit and Mnd will boost your heals to cap. I will direct you to http://members.shaw.ca/pizza_steve/cure/Cure_Calculator.html[/link] to verify

Quote:
What I am thinking now is to ditch the valor coronet because when I use Rampart I'm usually more concerned about getting as much hate as possible from it. So then I can only carry around a Schaller, Aegis and Turban.

This is situational, if youre popping rampart for pure hate generation, then Aeg is going to be your best bet. However, i use rampart to help lessen dmg on occasion as well and still use my coronet in those cases.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-05-03 01:54:12
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
[+]
 Cerberus.Eanae
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2010-05-03 18:24:13
Link | Citer | R

Healing Magic skill does *** all for cures. It's more worth it to use Aegishjalmr for Cure III (-1 point cure) but DO NOT USE AEGISHJALMR FOR CURE 4. It will cost you more enmity then you gain from the points of cure lost to the MND -7.
 Unicorn.Fosgate
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Fosgate
By Unicorn.Fosgate 2010-05-03 18:34:28
Link | Citer | R

If you have Joyeuse and Atonement, full time your turban. (of course there are exceptions)

M.head and your other shield gear for utsusemi ichi. Also for monk type mobs to lessen the overall damage they hundred fist you with.

You can throw on m.head and shield gear after reprisal just for fun if you want to see you shield go off like crazy but its not really needed

Adaman barbuta? whats that? Just throw it away anyways. Dont even NPC it. People might see you with it. That would be embarrassing.

And i second what Eanae said about cure 3/4
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-03 18:39:24
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Eanae said:

This^

Wear turban always unless above situations are met
[+]
 Leviathan.Willoflame
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-05-03 18:41:21
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:

Well, you can start by ditching the Barbuta (like everyone else suggested). It's really not necessary for anything at 75. Koenig is such a dreamy piece! It has a great defense+VIT setup, and more importantly shield skill. You should main the Koenig as /war. No questions asked.

Main the Turban when you're /nin, haste is key in that aspect. Also, the HP and MP boost are quite nice.

Assjammer (lol) for enmity, obviously. If you can, upgrade to Bahamut's mask. It looks cooler and has more enmity.

Good call on the Coronet. I don't cure in it though, unless for some reason I'm outside main alliance curing. You'll want to cure in enmity.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-05-04 02:33:27
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Eanae said:
Healing Magic skill does *** all for cures. It's more worth it to use Aegishjalmr for Cure III (-1 point cure) but DO NOT USE AEGISHJALMR FOR CURE 4. It will cost you more enmity then you gain from the points of cure lost to the MND -7.

Cure 3 is such a beautiful thing on PLD, quick to get off and decent hp recovery. Mostly by time you finished casting cure 4 a mage has beat you too it.

Cure 3 was also one of my main hate tools on the ACP final fight XD

PLD is all about 3 things mostly; haste, shield skill and enmity. Lot's of good advice on what to use when here. Can't see anyone mentioning is Valhalla Helm which is another great situational piece and if you're a pld in a einherjar shell this should be your main lot. Then there is Nocturnus Helm which is an interesting option for soloing since it occasionally heals you from physical attacks.

So there are a few more heads out there that you could look into getting. Just remember no matter how many you have you still need 3-4 or more macros for all of them depending on what you're doing.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2010-05-05 01:36:09
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Wear turban always

personally i main Bahamut's Mask and macro and macro others in
[+]
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-05 01:42:30
Link | Citer | R

Re: not-maining Turban

Since Atonement, a Haste/accuracy TP setup has become more prudent than ever. It's pretty logical, since faster/accurate swings = more Atonements.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-05 06:08:20
Link | Citer | R

haste/accuracy build only works in safer situations, you can't expect to always be able to use it. when unable to, it's better to use valhalla/darksteel+1/koenig/noctus or even coral+1 pending situation.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
Serveur: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 06:21:22
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Abriel said:
haste/accuracy build only works in safer situations, you can't expect to always be able to use it. when unable to, it's better to use valhalla/darksteel 1/koenig/noctus or even coral 1 pending situation.

In a situation where you can't engage and use Atonement then you should be tanking with a RDM.

[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 06:45:56
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
haste/accuracy build only works in safer situations, you can't expect to always be able to use it. when unable to, it's better to use valhalla/darksteel 1/koenig/noctus or even coral 1 pending situation.

In a situation where you can't engage and use Atonement then you should be tanking with a RDM.

what did paladins ever do before atonement
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 07:10:49
Link | Citer | R

PLD Helm
 Valefor.Argettio
Serveur: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 07:29:21
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
what did paladins ever do before atonement

They fed TP and did negligable damage.

Now they feed TP and do reasonable damage.

If damage is a fully viable means of holding hate then the best tank is SAM

If damage is a semi viable means of holding hate then the best tank is DRK or PLD

If damage isn't a viable means of holding hate then the best tank is RDM

Edit: assuming each of the above have spesific tanking sets, damage reduction sets and are capable of tanking
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6