Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 08:05:35
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
haste/accuracy build only works in safer situations, you can't expect to always be able to use it. when unable to, it's better to use valhalla/darksteel 1/koenig/noctus or even coral 1 pending situation.
In a situation where you can't engage and use Atonement then you should be tanking with a RDM.
what did paladins ever do before atonement
They fed TP and did negligable damage. Now they feed TP and do reasonable damage. If damage is a fully viable means of holding hate then the best tank is SAM If damage is a semi viable means of holding hate then the best tank is DRK or PLD If damage isn't a viable means of holding hate then the best tank is RDM Edit: assuming each of the above have spesific tanking sets, damage reduction sets and are capable of tanking

Were any bricks shat, just now?
 Valefor.Argettio
Serveur: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 08:23:25
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
haste/accuracy build only works in safer situations, you can't expect to always be able to use it. when unable to, it's better to use valhalla/darksteel 1/koenig/noctus or even coral 1 pending situation.
In a situation where you can't engage and use Atonement then you should be tanking with a RDM.
They fed TP and did negligable damage. Now they feed TP and do reasonable damage. If damage is a fully viable means of holding hate then the best tank is SAM If damage is a semi viable means of holding hate then the best tank is DRK or PLD If damage isn't a viable means of holding hate then the best tank is RDM Edit: assuming each of the above have spesific tanking sets, damage reduction sets and are capable of tanking

I am not sure what you refereing to, but if you are aiming that comment at my edit, then that was just and attempt to get in before some one saying that they don't know a RDM, SAM or DRK that couldn't tank as their mate Sir_LEET_of_PLD.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 08:27:35
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
I am not sure what you refereing to, but if you are aiming that comment at my edit, then that was just and attempt to get in before some one saying that they don't know a RDM, SAM or DRK that couldn't tank as their mate Sir_LEET_of_PLD.

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. But I know WAR, MNK, and PUP were left out, and they can tank to an extent.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2010-05-05 08:47:09
Link | Citer | R

Aej Helm - Flash/Cure/Abilitys!

Valor Cornet - U can store 10Healing Magic is adds up2 around 2hp, the duration of
Rampart, Shldnt be an issuse, Only really used for nerfing magic dmg if u want it for that use vit gear, other wise eminty aswell thow haveing 2macs may be useless but not nessery

Walh Turban - Melee Idl, don't flash with it, any endgame sceniore u shld have cap'd recast reducation from haste/marchs, thow this will depend on the rest of your gear!

Koeing - Idl (just standing there looking @ the mob as he swings at u), Shield build/Ichi

Adam - get rid of it useless
 Lakshmi.Razius
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Razius07
By Lakshmi.Razius 2010-05-05 09:03:37
Link | Citer | R

As both a PLD and a RDM I am always reconsidering my set ups, espech in regards to "macro this in for this" as seen lots on the 1st page. Yes, to paraphrase a earlier comment, "blinking shouldn't be a problem with good healers", but if u actually think how often u flash/voke, cast Utsu and heal yourself, plus do job abilities, you would be CONSTANTLY flashing. As a healer myself, this would be hell.

Ok, PC Windower users can use 'BlinkMeNot', i can, but i prefer not to. I rather get on without, but then i havnt seen many PLDS or other tanks that change gear for everything they do. I once tried this route, and it made even simple things like Suzzy and Seiryu a nightmare for my mage support, and for me, as was in the red far too much for what the mob was. So ive changed my gear set macros to how they are now.

Basically i dont swap visual stuff unless i NEED a more 'Shield skill set' (ie: on Faust and in Dynamis, or when /war) or a 'Haste set' (ie: general sky/sea/limbus and exp mobs/NMs), any extra haste or enimity would come from accessories.

Macroing in Swift belt, Loq. Earring and Harmonia's Torque (and Cerberus Mantle if im in Resentment cape mode) for flashes isnt the best, but its a more than adequate way of pushing as much haste and hate as possible from my gear without compromising safety.

You can do this for voke, all job abilities and your heals should u wish, and for Utsu casting. Make accessory sets for your magics/ja's that match ur style, then use them in the macros for those things. Windower really helps here, but is not needed to make decent set ups.

Atm all my accessory macros are fitted in to the visual gear sets, ie my /war, my /heavy war, /nin, /ninsea etc, but im looking to seperate the visual gear from the accessories, so i can tailor visual armour to the specific mob im doing, as opposed to generic sets. Thats still a work in progress ^^'

As per your question, ditch the adaman, use that "assjammer", turban and those Iron Ram and Koenig heads, but make a balanced set to meet ur means at that time. Gears such as the homam set, askar, iron ram etc make this easy, and will allow a balanced visual set up which does its job but keeps u from constantly flashing gear.

Personally i believe only certain weapon skills, elemental and heavy PDT/MDT sets (such as for Citadel buster) would require you to flash gear, otherwise try not to, and defo not a different set for every action you take.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 09:17:37
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
I wasn't sure how to respond to that. But I know WAR, MNK, and PUP were left out, and they can tank to an extent.

I am not talking about 'to an extent'. I am talking about the most efficent method of tanking a mob.

Yes WAR can tank, but doesn't have the raw damage potental against high defence mobs as SAM (Gekko > Steel cyclone) and doesn't have the spam-able spells of DRK or PLD.

MNK is a great tank in some situations, basically any situation where MNK can get a decent hit rate and decent cratio, the main situation where MNK is used is salvage. But due to how counter works, they need a high hit rate, which MNKs can't do on standard HNMs.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-05 15:29:32
Link | Citer | R

not sure where you get your plds, but before I had rdm geared for it I could keep hate as pld/nin pretty danm easy w/o dealing any damage. through an initial spike (sentinel > flash > C4 > C4 > flash) pld can pretty much cap VE and get somewhere around 1800 CE, from there it's pretty much down hill tossing out flash when it's up and cure-cheats as mp allows. pld/nin's a bit versatile when it comes to tanking style, it can do them all pretty decently but overly excels at none (it is the simplest to maintain and perform well on though).

I'll have to say rdm does take less dmg, but you have enmity trouble early on without blowing your 2hr or putting yourself at risk (after you got it it's not really going anywhere though), which can make solo-tanking a bit tougher.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 15:31:12
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
I am not talking about 'to an extent'. I am talking about the most efficent method of tanking a mob. Paladin.

K.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 15:34:00
Link | Citer | R

That was my point.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 15:37:45
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
That was my point.

Your point was that PLD is the best tank? Then again, NIN is fine, too.
 Phoenix.Airbag
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:43:09
Link | Citer | R

you dont really have a point

we all know what jobs can try to tank but some choices are clearly inferior, you always take these threads too far injecting your expertise on everything ffxi
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 15:43:23
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
That was my point.

Your point was that PLD is the best tank? Then again, NIN is fine, too.

You ninja'd me, my comment was aimed at Abriel

And PLD is far from the most efficient tank, certainly not all the time.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:45:41
Link | Citer | R

in every linkshell out there about 1-2% have a RDM with acceptable gear to tank, a pld in full iron ram can be an acceptable tank
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 15:46:36
Link | Citer | R

'cos easy = better?

[+]
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-05-05 15:47:40
Link | Citer | R

DD/thf exists for a reason, especially good when there are other mobs you can tp on so you're ready to TAWS the NM when timers are up. Basically negates the issue of "which tank generates/holds hate better".

Of course if you're low-manning or against some NMs your choice of tank is dependant on your strategy for the fight.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:48:16
Link | Citer | R

did I say that? begos being an elitist *** is cool

[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 15:48:49
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Celestinia said:
DD/thf exists for a reason, especially good when there are other mobs you can tp on so you're ready to TAWS the NM when timers are up. Basically negates the issue of "which tank generates/holds hate better".

Of course if you're low-manning or against some NMs your choice of tank is dependant on your strategy for the fight.

So your advocating your DDs gimping their damage in order to help your tank out?
Phoenix.Airbag said:
did I say that? begos being an elitist *** is cool

I am elitist for wanting to use the best job for each task? In that case, I'm proud of being an 'elitist'.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:49:10
Link | Citer | R

hurrdurr its all about the parses
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 15:49:19
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Airbag said:
you dont really have a point we all know what jobs can try to tank but some choices are clearly inferior, you always take these threads too far injecting your expertise on everything ffxi
Me or her?

MY point was that holding hate isn't really tanking. Holding hate and not dying is tanking. SAM, DRK, and RDM could only tank 'to an extent'. SAM until healer runs out of MP and they die. DRK till the mob gets one good blow in, or till Drain/II, Stun, and Dread Spikes recast is down, then healer's MP runs out and they die. And RDM, Till convert is needed, Stoneskin won't absorb till it wears, it absorb till it breaks, you gotta be hit pretty hard to have it outright broken with Phalanx up, but it can happen.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-05 15:49:20
Link | Citer | R

that was pretty much the point of my last post, commenting that pld wasn't the best for any style of tanking. it's just the easiest to maintain and perform well on, other jobs require quite a bit more work to be able to perform well.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:52:37
Link | Citer | R

im talking to argietto, I know what youre saying kojo
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 15:53:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Airbag said:
im talking to argietto, I know what youre saying kojo

Oh.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 15:53:06
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
you dont really have a point we all know what jobs can try to tank but some choices are clearly inferior, you always take these threads too far injecting your expertise on everything ffxi
Me or her?

MY point was that holding hate isn't really tanking. Holding hate and not dying is tanking. SAM, DRK, and RDM could only tank 'to an extent'. SAM until healer runs out of MP and they die. DRK till the mob gets one good blow in, or till Drain/II, Stun, and Dread Spikes recast is down, then healer's MP runs out and they die. And RDM, Till convert is needed, Stoneskin won't absorb till it wears, it absorb till it breaks, you gotta be hit pretty hard to have it outright broken with Phalanx up, but it can happen.

SAM, DRK and RDM all sub NIN to tank.

RDM has more survivability than a PLD will ever have, and if any of the above jobs are getting similar support as a PLD would (WHM, RDM, BRD or 2) then they won't be dying any time soon.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-05 15:54:56
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Me or her?

please note that there are damage reduction builds and that all those jobs can use them w/o any detriment (except sam since they can't really use an E./T. staff and still damage tank).
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-05-05 15:55:27
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Leviathan.Celestinia said:
DD/thf exists for a reason, especially good when there are other mobs you can tp on so you're ready to TAWS the NM when timers are up. Basically negates the issue of "which tank generates/holds hate better". Of course if you're low-manning or against some NMs your choice of tank is dependant on your strategy for the fight.
So your advocating your DDs gimping their damage in order to help your tank out?

More aimed at what plds did before atonement and the issue of a RDM tank being slow to cap hate. What ever job is tanking, hate generation shouldn't be a problem if A. You gear properly and B. Setup parties appropiatly.

Besides it doesn't have to be a DD, THFs can do it and you'll have 1 of those (TH4) anyways.

Of course PLD and RDM have an advantage over other jobs in survivability but again that's down to what your fighting.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:55:31
Link | Citer | R

neither will a paladin with a WHM a RDM and 2 BRDs lol... you try too hard
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 15:56:34
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Me or her? MY point was that holding hate isn't really tanking. Holding hate and not dying is tanking. SAM, DRK, and RDM could only tank 'to an extent'. SAM until healer runs out of MP and they die. DRK till the mob gets one good blow in, or till Drain/II, Stun, and Dread Spikes recast is down, then healer's MP runs out and they die. And RDM, Till convert is needed, Stoneskin won't absorb till it wears, it absorb till it breaks, you gotta be hit pretty hard to have it outright broken with Phalanx up, but it can happen.
SAM, DRK and RDM all sub NIN to tank. RDM has more survivability than a PLD will ever have, and if any of the above jobs are getting similar support as a PLD would (WHM, RDM, BRD or 2) then they won't be dying any time soon.

Then add "Utsu: Ichi/Ni Recast are both down." You also need THF for any of those to work, not to mention when your DDs are tanking, they die, dmg goes down, blah-blah-blah. Just give up.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-05 15:57:36
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Airbag said:

And a SAM and DRK would deal more damage, and RDM take less.

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Then add "Utsu: Ichi/Ni Recast are both down." You also need THF for any of those to work, not to mention when your DDs are tanking, they die, dmg goes down, blah-blah-blah. Just give up.

Then use your PDT set.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-05 15:59:30
Link | Citer | R

why do you do this
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 15:59:52
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
And a SAM and DRK would deal more damage, and RDM take less.

SAM and DRK deal damage as DD, RDM doesn't take as much damage if they are on the back lines.