PLD=No Thx?!?!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD=No thx?!?!
PLD=No thx?!?!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Serveur: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2008-12-24 12:00:17
Link | Citer | R

PLD's -are- in my opinion, and im sure many if not all will agree, the best tanks hands down without question. There was a short period in time when Ninja ruled yea... but anyways those days are over for the most part.

in a nyzle isle group, its true, your priority are DD's who can double as a short time Blink / Third eye tank, even for boss floors.

I'm not saying your or any pld/nin is crappy or anything. A+ sword skill ect and all that~ I heard of a pld/nin who offhanded K club. and rocked the DD's in that group. since the pld/nin was actually tanking the fact he was using a K club wouldn't matter in an exp pt.. anyways thats kinda irrelevant

Its easier and much more safe (safe in terms of actually winning) to say take a monk over a PLD thats basically what it comes down to in the end. People want their gear and they don't want to try weird stuff that has a risk of failure, blah.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2008-12-24 13:34:34
Link | Citer | R

Idk, you saying giving a PLD/SAM a subduer, mythril grip+1, tiphia sting, walahra turban+wyvern helm, chivalrous chain, coral earing, spike earring, haubergeon, pallas's bracelets, ruby ring, ecphoria ring, amemet mantle+1, warwolf+life belt, royal knight's breeches, w/e feet gear, having 8/8 GS merits, and 4/4 crit merits isn't going to make it a decent DD? (I know that was a run on lol) But all of those things except the subduer and walahra turban are in the ah and fairly cheap (costing less than a mil all together i'd say). I know I'm saying things that have been said "oh PLD can DD". I just want to change some ppls' minds if I can. I think its an interesting idea. And I don't think askar is your only option. I haven't been able to get it and I have SAM/DRK75 and do Nyzul Isle alot.

EDIT: And if you want you can even add swift belt, or some things like that. Its still easier to get than Homam or some of those gear sets I'd say.
 Fenrir.Parak
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-24 13:57:02
Link | Citer | R

Wardens said:
Idk, you saying giving a PLD/SAM a subduer, mythril grip+1, tiphia sting, walahra turban+wyvern helm, chivalrous chain, coral earing, spike earring, haubergeon, pallas's bracelets, ruby ring, ecphoria ring, amemet mantle+1, warwolf+life belt, royal knight's breeches, w/e feet gear, having 8/8 GS merits, and 4/4 crit merits isn't going to make it a decent DD? (I know that was a run on lol) But all of those things except the subduer and walahra turban are in the ah and fairly cheap (costing less than a mil all together i'd say). I know I'm saying things that have been said "oh PLD can DD". I just want to change some ppls' minds if I can. I think its an interesting idea. And I don't think askar is your only option. I haven't been able to get it and I have SAM/DRK75 and do Nyzul Isle alot.

EDIT: And if you want you can even add swift belt, or some things like that. Its still easier to get than Homam or some of those gear sets I'd say.

Exactly lol
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-24 16:46:38
Link | Citer | R

Why doesn't someone do this and try to proove a point?

Make for an interesting story, Indeed!
 Phoenix.Vandyr
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Therin
By Phoenix.Vandyr 2008-12-24 17:42:26
Link | Citer | R

Wardens said:

You'd do more damage single-wielding a Joyeuse on /WAR and spamming Atonement/Vorpal Blade than wearing that horrible abomination of a no-haste gear set.

A PLD CAN DD, but it's a gimp DD. If you're gimping your gear like that on an already gimp DD, you're just a complete waste of a slot.

BEING A MAIN JOB PLD, I would still NEVER invite a PLD DD to Nyzul unless they were capable of fielding something like the following:

Weapon: Company/Justice/Joyeuse for /NIN, Algol for /SAM
Head: Askar Zucchetto/Walahra Turban
Neck: Peacock Charm/Fortitude Torque/Prudence Torque
Earrings: Ethereal Earring/Brutal Earring
Body: Ares's Cuirass/Haubergeon+1/Homam Corazza/Askar Korazin
Hands: Homam Manopolas/Askar Manopolas
Rings: Toreador's Ring/Sniper's Ring/Rajas Ring/Ulthalam's Ring
Back: Cuchulain's Mantle/Forager's Mantle/Amemet Mantle+1
Waist: Velocious Belt/Swift Belt
Legs: Homam Cosciales
Feet: Homam Gambieras

With, of course, a WS set including Hecatomb or Ares in appropriate slots.
[+]
 Phoenix.Azuzu
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Azuzu
By Phoenix.Azuzu 2008-12-24 18:30:23
Link | Citer | R

Wardens said:
Idk, you saying giving a PLD/SAM a subduer, mythril grip+1, tiphia sting, walahra turban+wyvern helm.

I'm just gunna stop you there because i feel like bursting someone's bubble. PLD can't equip Wyvern Helm.....

Back to the topic... PLD can< DD but to do so efficiently requires such a vast investment in gear that IMO would be pointless. When you focus on one particular aspect of a job, I.E. getting +STR gear for your PLD, you take away from the other aspects which people look for in PLD's.

If you're considering becoming a "DD PLD" for Nyzule Isle only. Then you're going to end up spending millions of gil on gear that you would only be using for 30minutes a day, or 2 hours every 4 days depending on how you use your tags, all for the sake of getting Askar for your PLD, or Goliard or Denali for another job.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2008-12-24 18:47:10
Link | Citer | R

idk why everyone so addicted to the mythril grip

pole grip + brutal DA + 7% with great weapons

my dd set is
Weapon: Company/Joyeuse
Head: Walahra Turban --> Ohat
Neck: Chiv Chain
Body: Haubergeon --> Hecatomb Harness
Hands: Homam Manopolas --> Fourth Guantlets
Rings: Rajas Ring/Ulthalam's Ring
Back: Amemet Mantle+1
Waist: Swift Belt --> Warwolf Belt
Legs: Askar Dirs
Feet: Dusk Ledelsens --> Savage Gaiters

but ive done floor 0-81 with my WAR75 =P
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2008-12-27 00:31:42
Link | Citer | R

This is to Vandyr and Krazyrs.

1. My bad on the wyvern helm. That didn't burst my bubble. :P I just forgot not all jobs can use it. Sure you could get Ohat too or something, but even that would require a good bit of farming or gil to get not to mention the NM fight. I'll just say Walahra turban then.

2. Not everyone can get things like the Joyeuse or Brutal earring for all the double attack. I know double attack is a great way to increase damage considering PLD has a good sword skill. But to make it efficient you need to stack it. /WAR would be very helpful then with the polegrip. Before I was just mentioning some affordable DD gear with some very basic DD stats like acc, STR and att. I wasn't really saying all of the options like a double attack build with Joyeuse. And I'm certainly not mentioning how great a haste build could be. Mostly because that requires Sea or gil for Dusk gear or something.

3. I said the mythril grip+1 because at the time I was only talking about using a GS (I was also saying you might want to have GS merits because its not as high as sword skill) and being /SAM having only +2% double attack is not exactly helping you. Having the +2 STR and +2 acc would be more helpful IMO.

I'm not trying to argue with all this or anything. I find other people's opinions interesting and it is helping me decide some different options for my PLD. If I made any mistakes please be my guest and correct me. lol I want to know what other people think.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2008-12-27 00:36:21
Link | Citer | R

Also I really like the DD set Krazyrs mentioned. Off the top of my head most of that gear would be what I would choose to DD in. But alas I have very little of that gear minus Walahra turban, Chiv chain, Hauby, and Amemet mantle+1. I also have the dusk gloves but I'd rather have Homam.
 Remora.Kutsurabi
Serveur: Remora
user: Kutsurabi
By Remora.Kutsurabi 2009-01-02 06:40:57
Link | Citer | R

Its because you suck Parak... Anyway yeah I never invite PLDs, and i played PLD in one of my runs and it was useless even with atonement my decent haste gear Joyeuse and Justice sword. Maybe if you got your M Sword back and sub DNC you can replace a BRD somewhat (if you have a BLU with sheep song and oh gosh i can't remember my own spell xD Blank Gaze there u go, was thinking Glaze >_>;) and be erase and curaga *** then toss in cure IVs with your taru MP :D but this is the only case where i would invite a PLD to a boss party :x I have runic key so i dont want to think about climbing anymore xD
 Remora.Kutsurabi
By Remora.Kutsurabi 2009-01-02 06:41:59
Link | Citer | R

Vandyr said:

BEING A MAIN JOB PLD, I would still NEVER invite a PLD DD to Nyzul unless they were capable of fielding something like the following:

Weapon: Company/Justice/Joyeuse for /NIN, Algol for /SAM
Head: Askar Zucchetto/Walahra Turban
Neck: Peacock Charm/Fortitude Torque/Prudence Torque
Body: Ares's Cuirass/Haubergeon+1/Homam Corazza/Askar Korazin
Hands: Homam Manopolas/Askar Manopolas
Rings: Toreador's Ring/Sniper's Ring/Rajas Ring/Ulthalam's Ring
Back: Cuchulain's Mantle/Forager's Mantle/Amemet Mantle+1
Waist: Velocious Belt/Swift Belt
Legs: Homam Cosciales
Feet: Homam Gambieras

With, of course, a WS set including Hecatomb or Ares in appropriate slots.

Organics main hand too :x
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-01-02 09:32:07
Link | Citer | R

lol, kuts xD. I knew you would eventually comment on this. I bought another merc. sword btw nubzi ;P. you need to get your DNC to 37 haha
 Remora.Kutsurabi
By Remora.Kutsurabi 2009-01-02 19:00:31
Link | Citer | R

hush hush hush 35 close enough... lol i suck at RDM in ballista ;;
/forumderail
 Lakshmi.Visc
user: Visc
By Lakshmi.Visc 2009-01-03 12:02:47
Link | Citer | R

The proper DD equipped pld (especially with that new weaponskill from Nyzul), or spinning slash or retribution shouldn't have a problem in Nyzul as long as the rest of the setup is standard. I've won plenty of times with these (actually, I can't think of a time that I lost with a PLD).

The true downside is that a vast majority of PLDs don't have or use the right gear in proper situations, they're either in crappy tanking gear or good heavy tanking gear when one or the other is not needed at all.. I'm getting sick and more sick of the common PLD walking around in full enmity and no VIT and no shield skill gear. Three years back, it was actually difficult to level PLD and it kept most of the noobs away from touching it that are unfortunately leveling it today. PLD's without DD are basically not needed in Nyzul and that turns off most people, they don't want to bother risking a crappy PLD with their own tags.

But, if you find a good DD pld, he can hold his own for the most part (heal himself and others), get people out of trouble and add some good damage to the party to keep it moving in nyzul. GL.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-04 01:06:47
Link | Citer | R

Parak said:
I think that PLD is good as it is. But in order for people to take it seriously it needs more job specific abilites with shields and stuff like that. I don't really know how to explain it but sometimes I just feel like people think PLD is worthless because other jobs can tank and still deal tons of damage. Parak=PLD=worthless? hahaha! /cut /cut ; ;

more job abilities on PLD? look at NIN, only 1 =P
 Asura.Malekith
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-04 01:26:46
Link | Citer | R

What I love about this thread is how everyone bashes the pld... Not like none of us here have ever had a bad experience because of a crappy healer, bad puller, or gimped DD? Everyone has a role to play and honestly a PLD in Nyzul no matter how well geared is NOT going to outparse the other DD in pt. A PLD is a complimentary piece that works best if you have 2 heavy DD that can do most of the killing, and you have a group that plows through the flrs as a team... where people don't split up and in the process get picked off.

What a PLD does offer is the ability to help heal, pull with flash, use Cover to save DD's like DRK, as well as invincible tank at outset of fights on the HNM flrs so DD don't have to pop fanatics right away.

My group goes me PLD/NIN, DRK/SAM x2, WHM/SMN, BRD/WHM and our 6th goes SAM/WAR or NIN/ THF. It's a balanced group and in it, I do everything I wrote out in the preceeding paragraph which happens to help everyone else in my static focus on what they do best. My WHM always knows I have her backed up, the DD's appreciate that because they're not going to get killed if they go full out and the whm can only heal one person and then my BRD and THF know that I always help pull... Crim legs & flash ftw...

Take from my post what you will, all I'm trying to say is keep an open mind and try to keep your eyes on the big picture don't just hate on a job out of hand... unless it's lolPUP in that case be my guest... j/k about the lolPUP ;)

Oh and one other thing, if you as a PLD are tired of being told, "PLD no thanks!" you owe to yourself to start your own Nyzul static... and that's all there is to it...
 Ifrit.Preluder
Serveur: Ifrit
user: preluder
By Ifrit.Preluder 2009-01-04 01:31:12
Link | Citer | R

Level another job!!!! And as far on PLD being a better tank then NIN it all depends on the MOB. NIN can tank things pld cant because a one shot blow and be takin by shadows..
 Caitsith.Monsterrain
By Caitsith.Monsterrain 2009-01-04 03:26:43
Link | Citer | R

i really cant feel bad for the poster, i lvled nin to 75 and guess what i got more invites than your pld...i lvled faster than you, can i tank endgame as good as you? nope...

all i have now is a nin/drk that is situational and good nm soloer. other than that i wish i woulda lvled a pld.

i mean you saying you cant get a pty in nyzul is kinda wah...i mean lvl sam, brd, rdm if you want invites

i mean i have been told to DD b4 going nin in endgame, so i cant feel bad for you that you cant get a nyzul sorry.
 Caitsith.Gdubbz
user: Gdubbz
By Caitsith.Gdubbz 2009-01-04 04:51:13
Link | Citer | R

Everything in this game is based on how you play it. Sure, some get more of an edge then others. Equipment swap macros for Paladin is godsend. Can do whatever you want, whenever you want. With 70 inv spaces. I can carry all of my gear, including haste, enmity, shield, damage reduction, tp/haste, ws build, etc etc. Now would I bring PLD over my other DD jobs, no per say, but Paladin shouldn't be knocked as a DD at all. Don't need to mention close to max haste, 304 skill, full ws set like few other jobs. only thing it lacks are DD JA's. KC on PLD is *** incredible too(Miss my KC; ;) can't compete with 269 base skill and all the gear access. Mediocre gear on any job makes for a mediocre job. Incredible gear on any job can make for endless possibilities. The few, the proud, the elitists can tell you, and throw proof in your way.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-01-04 05:43:27
Link | Citer | R

idk as PLD/SAM with gs i'd go with Bahadur for the 489 delay and have a 6hit GS :o

calc shows u need sTP+27

/sam +15
Rajas +5
Askar body +5
CChain +1
Brutal +1

+27

now you'll want that 7% DA from the pole grip to spam spinning slash/ground strike XD

--edit--
Nyzul Isle
0-95 WAR
96-100 SAM (just to get my windslicer >.>)
 Shiva.Eleazar
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Eleazar 2009-01-04 07:00:22
Link | Citer | R

Here is my DD set for PLD/NIN:

Joyeuse/Justice Sword
Walahra Turban
Fortitude Torque
Brutal/Suppa
Haubergeon
Homam Manos
Jaeger/Rajas
Amemet +1
Swift Belt
Homam Cosciales
Aurum Sabatons

In addition, I have 8/8 sword merits, 4/4 crit merits, and I just unlocked Atonement. It doesn't hold up against high tier DDs, but it does very well in merits or in climbing Nyzul until we get to the boss floor, where I switch to tank gear.

That said, I usually go BLU to Nyzul because it does so well there due to its versatility.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-01-05 11:22:57
Link | Citer | R

Atonement caps 750 dmg for enmity cap on said mob

can get higher DMG on Cerebres Type mobs
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [324 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Inga
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2009-11-25 11:01:42
Link | Citer | R

Just make a DD setup for paladin, you can push out numbers easily, if you don't have a joyeuse then shame on you, it's not that difficult to obtain.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-25 11:08:38
Link | Citer | R

If a pld wants to do serious dmg he needs to do this!!!

Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-11-25 11:11:22
Link | Citer | R

LMAO pld don't DD. No amount of Gear will make them a DD. PLD/NIN dd is a waste in nyzul. May as well go pld/dnc tank off heal be a good little tank and open light with atonement.
 Kujata.Argettio
Serveur: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-25 11:18:34
Link | Citer | R

Holy hell, nearly a 1 year necrobump...
Ramuh.Dasva said:

And although that would be fun, there are some bad choices in there..

* B.Cape -> Cuchulain (assuming you need the acc) or cerb +1
* C.Chain -> Acient torque (assuming you need the acc) or Fort/Justice torque
* Attila's Earring -> Hollow (assuming you need the acc) or merman's +1

It isn't a DoT set I know, but all that sTP is a little wasted if you can't hid anything
 Siren.Murdock
Serveur: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2009-11-25 11:20:53
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Argettio said:
Holy hell, nearly a 1 year necrobump...
it was so important it had to be said.
 Cerberus.Geldric
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-11-25 11:27:17
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Urial said:
LMAO pld don't DD. No amount of Gear will make them a DD. PLD/NIN dd is a waste in nyzul. May as well go pld/dnc tank off heal be a good little tank and open light with atonement.

*** please..
 Cerberus.Virgil
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Virgil 2009-11-25 11:32:33
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Urial said:

Hahahahaha....you´re full of ***.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-25 11:51:40
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
And although that would be fun, there are some bad choices in there.. * B.Cape -> Cuchulain (assuming you need the acc) or cerb 1 * C.Chain -> Acient torque (assuming you need the acc) or Fort/Justice torque * Attila's Earring -> Hollow (assuming you need the acc) or merman's 1 It isn't a DoT set I know, but all that sTP is a little wasted if you can't hid anything
The whole point was to see how much tp how fast you can lol. Cerb+1 helps you hit!?! And justice torque!?! Also fort torque is kinda a waste since like the vast majority of your hits will be with a club. Really as long as I hit for 1 dmg it is doing it's job lol. I was gunna do the the 2sTP neck but I figured 5acc and 3 str was worth 1stp so I guess cuch could go in 2. Though really str isn't gunna do much of anything in this lol since the swd has a fstr cap of 8 and the kclub is only 9
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7