Lamia Ambuscade V1
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Sechs
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-01-12 03:23:42
Link | Citer | R

The problem is the initial setup. I.e. setting them all in the right spot and having the tank face the right direction.

Like if the tank faces the wrong direction the 2 adds will start their annoying enmity management that ignores the tank and fixate whoever is next in the hate list.
And that creates serious problems and from that point onwards everything becomes a mess.

If you manage to position them in the right way, it's fast and smooth I guess.
IF, and I repeat IF.
Our tank the other day didn't seem to be able to, but I think he was probably lacking knowledge on some key aspect.
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2024-01-12 04:47:40
Link | Citer | R

From BG Wiki: If the target with hate turns their back and breaks gaze contact for ~4 seconds then the Freyja will gain an aura.
This causes the Freyja to begin ignoring enmity and changing targets.

There's no real reason to sit with your back turned the whole time, so as long as you do this it will be fine.
By SimonSes 2024-01-12 04:56:26
Link | Citer | R

Is it really a problem if the adds are not on tank though? At this point in the game with MLs and gear progression everyone should easily tank them on anything right? Unless you talk about new/less equipped players.
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2024-01-12 05:04:58
Link | Citer | R

I don't think it's so much of an issue of tanking them, it's more that they kind of go all over the place and then turning away gets to be more tricky and people will definitely mess it up.

Hard to get their attention back without risking getting hit by moves at that point.
By Seun 2024-01-12 06:06:02
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »
Is it really a problem if the adds are not on tank though? At this point in the game with MLs and gear progression everyone should easily tank them on anything right? Unless you talk about new/less equipped players.

It really depends on who it's after and what else they were supposed to be doing besides tanking. The NMs are off-tanked fairly easily if you have a support keeping an eye on you. TP denial is still an option.

I understand why people think the medusa mechanic is annoying. The great thing is that once you understand it, you realize that there's a lot of job viability this month.
[+]
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2024-01-12 09:07:13
Link | Citer | R

Since this fight initially came out, the damage type on each Lamia was fairly crucial for efficiency. With all the gear creep and MLs over the years, damage type really isn't a thing anymore. Been going in with SAM/DRG with standard buffs and doing 60k+ IDs to Frigg and Skathi.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-01-12 17:17:39
Link | Citer | R

Seun said: »
Asura.Jenniferrr said: »
Do you have a list of frame/attachments? Always fun to have a reason to hang out with my little buddy.

VE Head and SS Frame

Fire, Wind and Light maneuvers

Inhibitor
Inhibitor II
Magniplug
Magniplug II
Attuner
Speedloader II
Truesights
Turbo Charger II
Couler II
Optic Fiber
Optic Fiber II
Auto-Rep. Kit IV

You can swap out Magniplug and/or Truesights for more defensive options depending on your gear and needs.

You can also change these options depending on which target you're in charge of. Since you want Freya down first you would use what's listed if you're on her or swap out the magni/TS for reduced damage against the adds.

Tried this setup and it works nice but I had some occasional issue in getting hate to bring Frigg out of range (once you do everything is smooth).
What I was doing was Provoke on Frigg, Warcry and then Hate Swap on the pet. All of this while running towards the direction I want to bring the Frigg.

Sometimes it works smoothly, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't it's a huge mess to bring the Frigg away from the tank.
Was wondering if using a Strobe instead of Inhibitor 1 would make things a bit smoother perhaps? Because then I could do the same thing I was doing but the second I engage (provided a Fire Maneuver is up) the automaton would use Provoke, furtherly increasing his enmity on Frigg and maybe being enough to smoothly pull Frigg away from everybody else?
By Seun 2024-01-12 18:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Could also have PUP pull and tank peel off of you/them. That or if tank pulls, have them delay their enmity until everyone is set up.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-12 19:55:01
Link | Citer | R

Last time this came around we didn't even have a tank. I took the Freyja on Shining One SAM, DRK took the Frigg, MNK took the Skathi. We had the WHM stand in the middle and pulled the 3 in sort of a triangle so we were all far enough away from each other not to get hit by each other's lamia while also letting the WHM position so they couldn't see any of the 3 while still being able to heal everyone. Doesn't even really require that much complexity but yeah. Tank absolutely not required. The hard part is trying not to kill TOO fast and having too many EES get queued up at once, really.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-12 20:19:09
Link | Citer | R

Velner just posted video where he literally destroys this on buffed DRG with 5 boxed chars standing 15' away facing other direction. Pretty much what I was expecting.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-12 20:44:00
Link | Citer | R

Velner just posted video where he literally destroys this on buffed DRG with 5 boxed chars standing 15' away facing other direction. Pretty much what I was expecting.

Doesn't matter what the others are facing if they're not doing anything else. I assume he's still following the mechanic?
By Thunderjet 2024-01-12 21:11:03
Link | Citer | R

why are people over complicating this fight, just dont turn away from impale
By Seun 2024-01-12 23:17:50
Link | Citer | R

I will convince myself that this ambuscade is hard so I can feel better about daily Sortie. I complain that I don't like all the running, but I can't even be bothered to turn around. //load react
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2024-01-13 09:40:07
Link | Citer | R

Is there away to avoid the enmity reset from Skathi's Heavenly Arrow?
 Bahamut.Baronton
Serveur: Bahamut
user: baronton
By Bahamut.Baronton 2024-01-13 20:07:02
Link | Citer | R

Seun said: »
Asura.Jenniferrr said: »
Do you have a list of frame/attachments? Always fun to have a reason to hang out with my little buddy.

VE Head and SS Frame

Fire, Wind and Light maneuvers

Inhibitor
Inhibitor II
Magniplug
Magniplug II
Attuner
Speedloader II
Truesights
Turbo Charger II
Couler II
Optic Fiber
Optic Fiber II
Auto-Rep. Kit IV

You can swap out Magniplug and/or Truesights for more defensive options depending on your gear and needs.

You can also change these options depending on which target you're in charge of. Since you want Freya down first you would use what's listed if you're on her or swap out the magni/TS for reduced damage against the adds.

Which Animator do you use?

Also, would you mind posting gearsets?

I am fairly new to PUP

Thank you!
By Hopalong 2024-01-13 20:28:19
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
//load react

I thought about react, but decided that it was just too intrusive to the play experience. Sure, when I was slogging through Malignance drops react would have made things brain dead easy, but I persevered and got 99% anticipating and acting to her moves.

I see it as: #1 If you use react you might as well quit because screw playing the game right... or #2 Devs need to attune their fight mechanics to something more realistic (if react is necessary to win).
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-01-13 20:44:38
Link | Citer | R

Hopalong said: »
#2 Devs need to attune their fight mechanics to something more realistic (if react is necessary to win).

I've often wondered if latency is a factor here and the timeframes are intended to be more reasonable on things like Gaol procs, Pain Sync damage, and this ambu's mechanics but the latency between NA and the JP servers makes the timeframe much tighter than intended. It wouldn't be the first time they didn't account for that.

We obviously work through these things, but it does seem like sometimes the timing is more punishing than intended.
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-01-13 20:49:00
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Iamaman said: »
#2 Devs need to attune their fight mechanics to something more realistic (if react is necessary to win).

I've often wondered if latency is a factor here and the timeframes are intended to be more reasonable on things like Gaol procs, Pain Sync damage, and this ambu's mechanics but the latency between NA and the JP servers makes the timeframe much tighter than intended. It wouldn't be the first time they didn't account for that.

We obviously work through these things, but it does seem like sometimes the timing is more punishing than intended.

The last time this Ambuscade came around, the ready time for TP moves of the Lamiae was increased. You have several (~2) seconds now to turn/face as needed. The average human reaction speed to visual stimuli is ~200ms. If you can't turn/face in time, you are probably drunk.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-01-13 20:51:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hya said: »
you are probably drunk.

I feel seen.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-01-13 20:52:18
Link | Citer | R

Originally ping could make it impossible. Sometimes the game still says you're facing a mob even when you're clearly not.

Had literal countless pics of my back turned with the message "you're unable to see mob" in the chat box, while still getting gazed. But they did double it and now it should be impossible not to react in time.
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-13 21:51:17
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Baronton said: »
Which Animator do you use?

Also, would you mind posting gearsets?

I am fairly new to PUP

Welcome to obscurity.

Short range and ilvl 119 animator from this list

The guide in the PUP forum is current with gearsets. Even if it weren't, this ambuscade is 7 years old now. You can do well even with dated gear.
 Shiva.Myamoto
Serveur: Shiva
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-01-13 21:55:17
Link | Citer | R

yeah, react truly isn't needed if you pay attention. The lamia take forever to actually do the abilities. Very easy to watch and turn without. It's not rocket surgery lol (>'.')>
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2024-01-13 22:15:12
Link | Citer | R

Moral of the story: You don't need PUP, you don't need react

Just try the fight and learn for yourself, it's actually not hard at all!
[+]
 Shiva.Myamoto
Serveur: Shiva
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-01-13 22:58:16
Link | Citer | R

But I still support the pet jobs approach! lol its just more fun mixing things up :) Pet jobs don't get much screen time, so its fun playing something else imo.
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-13 23:11:32
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Myamoto said: »
But I still support the pet jobs approach! lol its just more fun mixing things up :) Pet jobs don't get much screen time, so its fun playing something else imo.

This is true, but also for other niche jobs. Nobody is benched this month if you understand how to read your chat log.
[+]
By gregchiro2013 2024-01-15 21:17:28
Link | Citer | R

Id focus on Thunder (no wind) remove speedloader and one inhib for two flash or provoke. I have one pup who is tank, full tank attachments to hold so you dont kill too fast. Daze spam will melt these.
 Fenrir.Ahlen
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2024-01-16 10:48:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hya said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »

The last time this Ambuscade came around, the ready time for TP moves of the Lamiae was increased. You have several (~2) seconds now to turn/face as needed. The average human reaction speed to visual stimuli is ~200ms. If you can't turn/face in time, you are probably drunk.
*Blind or animation locked
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-16 12:20:22
Link | Citer | R

If you're not using tools to bypass the mechanics, you really need to time your WS after the enemy WS, to be sure you aren't animation locked. If you WS and then they use a TP move you need to turn away from, you're all but certainly ***.

That said, if you have a really solid WHM there isn't much risk of anyone dying by being hit with one of the moves you're supposed to turn away from.

This month is an easily farmable ambu with lots of job flexibility. If you want to do it on EZ mode, just bring RNG and COR DDs. So long as your tank can handle the turning away/turning back, you'll win every time. I did it the other day with 3 people and we got ~10 wins in a row with no losses.
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-16 16:31:07
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
If you're not using tools to bypass the mechanics, you really need to time your WS after the enemy WS, to be sure you aren't animation locked. If you WS and then they use a TP move you need to turn away from, you're all but certainly ***.

SMN and /SMN

Follow the mechanic, cancel it out or ignore it completely. We have the technology.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7