Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 13 14 15
By Fayona 2020-11-16 08:19:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
I only have R15 Epe and R1 Lion.
Lionheart is still a nice weapon and R15 Lion is one of the few aeonic where it's worth it to go for R15, at least in theory.

In Zerg fights, RUN can be an excellent DPS when not tanking, and when I mean excellent I mean it can actually outparse other DDs.
It's not a surprise, a long time ago RUN DD with Lion used to come in first place on stuff like Warder of Courage zergs etc.

Why? Well because when you're capped on acc/att Resolution is a beast and Lioneart is awesome, but mostly it was because of the huge magic evasion RUN has, allowing RUN to resist most debuffs/stun and continuing to do full DPS while other DDs would be crippled by a few seconds of paralyze, a few seconds of stun, and so on.

Now, are things still the same? I don't think so. The gap in gear (meva) is much smaller between RUN and the majority of the other DDs, plus a lot of other DDs received noticeable buffs since then. So no, I don't think RUN DD nowadays is still in the same position it was back then.

So we're left to using Lionheart in hybrid setups when RUN is tanking but the stuff he's tanking is not really that dangerous and wants to maximize DPS.
Would R15 offer more DPS in such situations compared to R15 Epe?
Quite likely.
Is it worth it though?
Imho no.
Especially because Epeolatry grants you a lot and I mean a lot of freedom in the gear you can swap in the other slots without fear of being completely defenseless if you get hit, say, during a WS and stuff like that.
Even if you want to do more DPS because u're in a hybrid set, at the end of the day you're still a tank.
If it's such a situation where a tank is not needed, why use RUN at all then, just go with a MNK or something else.
So yeah, if u're using a RUN, even in Hybrid, it's because you do need a Tank, and given this, I'd rather be with Epe and swap the rest of my gear rather than going for Lionheart.

That's just my personal view on things of course.

I would second this if you look through my previous posts you’ll see I was a huge advocate for lion in the past. I have both weapons at R15 now and I find my self rarely swapping to lion less and less. Epeo is still really strong with AM3 up and rune builds tp soo fast in hybrid builds you can keep hate better and maintain consistent damage without swapping to lion.

This months ambu is the first time in a while where I’ve swapped to lion. I typically do the first phase of the fight with Epeo. And the second phase with lion swapping on the blm. I go either /Sam or /drk and keep hate on the boss with a couple JA and then through DPS alone.

If you don’t have an Epeo, lion is a massive step up from any other sword. Being able to drop 40k-70k reso’s while battuta is up is really significant. However, if you don’t have appropriate swaps, DT ws toggles and the right gear Lion can get you killed in an instant if your not careful. If you’re a new rune and you have access to lion and are awaiting the sixth month period to get Epeo, lion will make you fall in love with the job. As you being to min/max rune, lion falls behind in terms of its effectiveness.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-11-16 09:52:04
Link | Citer | R

Fayona said: »
If you don’t have an Epeo, lion is a massive step up from any other sword. Being able to drop 40k-70k reso’s while battuta is up is really significant. However, if you don’t have appropriate swaps, DT ws toggles and the right gear Lion can get you killed in an instant if your not careful. If you’re a new rune and you have access to lion and are awaiting the sixth month period to get Epeo, lion will make you fall in love with the job. As you being to min/max rune, lion falls behind in terms of its effectiveness.
So much this.

I will likewise third, the only times I ever use Lionheart anymore is if I come RUN "as a DD". Which is basically only for various Ambuscades. The ability to spam Resolution and get Lights off of them (nearly) every time is what really shines about Lionheart and let's RUN actually go full DD.
By Crossbones 2020-11-16 10:38:19
Link | Citer | R

Warder of courage was actually the last fight I tried using lionheart on, when I ate a Medusa javelin at the wrong time and got murked I was like "*** this sword". Whatever damage it had over epeo just wasn't worth it. I did vagary last night and was still dropping 60k+ reso with epeo, just without having aftermath but faster tp gain. Maybe if a mob had zero physical attacks and only magic damage that would be a case for LH but there just aren't that many. Think there are one or two ambu where LH is viable as well.
[+]
By Korgull 2020-11-16 11:07:28
Link | Citer | R

I loved the very few moments when using Lionheart was viable (Like the Goblin Ambuscade). I wish there were more situations that demand a tank doing some damage.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Autocast 2020-11-16 12:38:15
Link | Citer | R

endxen said: »
Run will top the parse on a Melee burn Albumen with Lionheart every time. Run can do this on almost any content, just have a good ws set, hybrid tank/dd set and the usual.

Not these days. Plenty of heavy DD have the defensive gear enabling them to resist everything on top of all the job buffs that have gone out.

Rune is still insanely strong but not miles ahead of every other option when it comes to DDing vs debilitating debuffs anymore.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2020-11-16 12:40:10
Link | Citer | R

Looking at more DD focused weapons before REMA, what Ambu weapons should RUN get?
By Autocast 2020-11-16 12:44:54
Link | Citer | R

Honestly pre rema Ambu 1h axe and /nin dual wielding is prob your highest dps.

Montante +1 from sarama isn't bad either. Not sure how it compares to Ambu Gsword.
By Crossbones 2020-11-16 13:16:55
Link | Citer | R

The great axe might not be bad, although I haven't tried it, and it gives you access to supportive WS in the "break" line. Decimation, as was already mentioned above, is also a solid option due to having access to a lot of multi attack gear. Keep in mind that any time you plan to use resolution to factor in the innate attack penalty (on an already attack starved job), so if you want to use a GS dimi might be a better option in many cases even without an epeo.
[+]
By Korgull 2020-11-16 13:33:45
Link | Citer | R

endxen said: »
Korgull said: »
I loved the very few moments when using Lionheart was viable (Like the Goblin Ambuscade). I wish there were more situations that demand a tank doing some damage.

Run will top the parse on a Melee burn Albumen with Lionheart every time. Run can do this on almost any content, just have a good ws set, hybrid tank/dd set and the usual.

I understand your point, but why do i want to do melee albumen in the first place?
 Asura.Shiraj
Serveur: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-11-16 13:40:03
Link | Citer | R

Korgull said: »
I understand your point, but why do i want to do melee albumen in the first place?

Fun.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-11-16 13:41:49
Link | Citer | R

Some people don't SMN burn everything.
[+]
By Numquam 2020-12-14 11:49:53
Link | Citer | R

I need help with Resolution WS set. I'm looking at the set posted on the first page. Is Triple attk the priority or would I be trying to maximize STR with ATTK and ACC assuming I might not find myself in situations I don't have buffs other than what my trusts give me and no food.
 Odin.Creaucent
Serveur: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-12-14 12:08:28
Link | Citer | R

Since FTP transfers over yes TA is a priority on reso but on the Herc boots you would want str+12-15 acc/att+20+ and TA+3 so all 4 really.
By Crossbones 2020-12-14 12:10:19
Link | Citer | R

Reso has an innate attack penalty. How you gear for it revolves around if you are above pdif or not. Generally you will not be above pdif on rune in most cases, especially with trusts. If you really want to use reso make sure you have tons of attack in your set, but honestly you might get better damage out of dimi > dimi. There are good adhemar pieces that have the combo of STR/attack/TA so those are obviously no brainers. Megh legs have a ton of attack and TA. Most of the pieces are pretty straightforward you just need to be aware of the attack penalty and put that in consideration.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-12-24 08:51:27
Link | Citer | R

Revisiting my SIRD set for Cocoon/Aquaveil/Poisonga, tbh not to concerned with enmity as I was thinking priority should be

SIRD cap (assumeing 5/5 merits 10%)
HP +2800
PDT/DT

Lets see what sets people are using
 Shiva.Applesmash
Serveur: Shiva
user: Hyriu
By Shiva.Applesmash 2020-12-24 12:46:04
Link | Citer | R

I had started to put one together before I got Epeo a couple months ago and never actually finished it, went back this morning and got the last couple augments I needed.

3141HP, 35DT, 104 SIRD
Code
sets.SIRD = {
		ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
		head={ name="Taeon Chapeau", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -8%','HP+49',}},
		body="Futhark Coat +3",
		hands={ name="Rawhide Gloves", augments={'HP+50','Accuracy+15','Evasion+20',}},
		legs="Carmine Cuisses +1",
		feet={ name="Taeon Boots", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -10%','Phalanx +3',}},
		neck="Moonlight Necklace",
		waist="Audumbla Sash",
		left_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", augments={'Path: A',}},
		right_ear="Tuisto Earring",
		left_ring="Defending Ring",
		right_ring="Evanescence Ring",
		back="Moonlight Cape",}

Could use Gelatinous for more HP and a bit less DT but over 3100 it feels unconsequential. I rarely ever get interrupted as is.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-12-24 15:54:45
Link | Citer | R

Use Magnetic or Halasz over Odnowa and Gelatinous +1 over Evanescence. More HP and PDT.
 Shiva.Applesmash
user: Hyriu
By Shiva.Applesmash 2020-12-24 20:42:57
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, that's true.

I already use Evanescence on my DRK and nobody has any uses for Halasz aside from the SIRD, so not worth the inventory space on my end.

Definitely a better option if you can allow for it.
By DaDrifter 2020-12-26 23:37:31
Link | Citer | R

How come R15 Sailfi Belt +1 over Fotia Belt for Resolution? Wouldn't that do overall better because of the increased STR, Att and Multi-attack?
 Odin.Creaucent
Serveur: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-12-27 08:15:37
Link | Citer | R

DaDrifter said: »
How come R15 Sailfi Belt +1 over Fotia Belt for Resolution? Wouldn't that do overall better because of the increased STR, Att and Multi-attack?

I assume you mean why use Fotia instead of Sailfi+1. The ftp on reso transfers over all hits so on weaponskills like that its hard to beat Fotia belt and neck.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Casey
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2021-01-16 00:42:50
Link | Citer | R

Has anyone really bothered to figure out how rune enchantment damage is calculated? Seems related to weapon D and if you're single wielding or dual wielding. 1D weapons seem to only be able to to 0/1 damage regardless of target, 2H seems to have a higher cap than single wield 1H -- in that it seems with the weapons I have available on RUN the highest D 2H weapon does more damage unlike 1H where fettering blade and neagling seem to do the same damage.

The damage variation is pretty consistent on all weapons I tested, plus seems to have normal magic damage resists.

I was tracking a formula that was using floor(rank/2) as a base number for 2 hand but it seems that was totally off as I tested different weapon Ds.

All data I was using was using 1x Lux rune, assuming that the damage calculation is similar to how vivacious pulse is calculated in that there's a base damage and each rune adds damage. Lux was chosen really only because it was neutral damage/day/weather.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-01-20 01:47:08
Link | Citer | R

Blurred sword +1 still the best offhand or have I over looked something?
 Garuda.Ramathorne
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Ramathorne 2021-01-20 15:24:14
Link | Citer | R

Offhand for what?
Loxotic Mace +1 R15 has 10% WSD for Savage Blade with Naegling, along with big slow club damage and +61 accuracy and 10 DEX.
40 ACC 10 DEX over Blurred probably means you can drop some accuracy out of TP set and find some additional +MA.

I've never had RUN's DPS sheet work for DW, but dropping an "equivalent sword" into Bard Dual Wield (using 242-49=193 skill to account for C- skill difference) the mace seems to be about 5-7% better than a Blurred sword +1, with relatively little Multi attack and with identical TP/WS sets capping accuracy (wasting that accuracy advantage).

adding: Reikiko seems to be neck and neck with Loxotic R15 when accuracy is cap and using same TP set, falling behind when the accuracy from Loxotic is useful. Reikiko beats Blurred +1 in both cases, and looks cool doing it.
 Asura.Bippin
By Asura.Bippin 2021-01-20 16:11:49
Link | Citer | R

Normally find Dolichenus better then Naegling
 Garuda.Ramathorne
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Ramathorne 2021-01-21 23:58:49
Link | Citer | R

I did some hacking about with the existing RUN sheet to get Decimation to load in cause I was curious too.
Blurred+1 is still behind the others on 1k TP spam of Decimation with cap ACC, nevermind if you need the accuracy from the other options.

Naegling off-hand to Dolich was actually strongest of these 4; this is what I saw in a quick glance; threw in Firangi too in case that DA helped enough on Decimation:
cap acc Naegling > Reikiko > Loxotic r15 = Firangi > Blurred +1
uncap acc Naegling > Loxotic > Reikiko > Firangi > Blurred +1

I can't think of any other off-hands to check out.

Edit: on a lark I threw in Malignance sword and Beryllium pick +1 (SU2). They have big base dmg, accuracy; they seem around the 2/3/4 spots trading with Reikiko and Loxotic, and are also better than Blurred Sword +1.
 Asura.Bippin
By Asura.Bippin 2021-01-22 12:41:43
Link | Citer | R

Thanks saves me from carrying around a different off hand
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-02 11:31:52
Link | Citer | R

Question, does anyone have a gearswap handy with the priorities defined? Thank you in advance!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-02 11:56:05
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bippin said: »
Normally find Dolichenus better then Naegling

It's going to depend a lot on your buffs. RUN gets nothing native attack-wise, so it would benefit a lot from self buffing some enhancing spells and getting Naegling's Attack bonus. I have tried Dolichenus in scenarios without much buffs and it is very weak, unsurprisingly. You won't get the benefit of TP bonus offhand, but I think you could still pump better numbers with Naegling under a certain level of support.

As far as RUN offhands, R15 Combuster +1 has STP+10, a huge amount of accuracy and good attack (especially for an attack-deficient job). There is also an option in Raetic Blade +1, assuming you can utilize the MP-draining properties to your advantage (Tenebrae, Refresh, etc). I think R15 Loxotic is still going to be your best supporting OH if you can deal with the delay. I always hated Blurred items, they seemed slow for anything not Dagger, especially the Axe.
 Shiva.Osborn
user: Osborn
By Shiva.Osborn 2021-02-02 19:51:52
Link | Citer | R

I've been messing with my HP and priority equips in my RUN & PLD sets and was wondering if anyone else has tried this -
I was getting annoyed with checking each applicable set for my HP dip, so I would prefer to be able to define the gear once and just plug them into my sets anywhere and move on.

Can also adjust/add/remove priority without having to redo each and every set- similar to changing an augmented piece of gear.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 13 14 15