Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 13 14 15
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-03-10 07:26:53
Link | Citer | R

Bump just to let the smarties know to figure out new gear stuff for Run applications
By SimonSes 2021-03-10 07:33:55
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
Bump just to let the smarties know to figure out new gear stuff for Run applications

SimonSes said: »
EDIT: oh and I forgot about RUN! Path A is AMAZING set for tank TP set with Epeo. On the other hand path B would also work (despite not synergize well DA% is barely a gain with AM3) and path B is amazing defensive WS set for Dimidiation.

EDIT2: On the other hand path A could also work as Dimidiation set tho. Since it has native +25% attack bonus and PDL is on A.
So its kinda a choice between amazing WS set and good TP set or amazing TP set and good ws set for Epeo RUN.
 Asura.Shiraj
Serveur: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-10 07:39:11
Link | Citer | R

I've been messing with new MEva sets, got a new and improved set finished, but need to see augments for the DD sets(Haven't seen any augments outside the legs.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-10 07:41:35
Link | Citer | R

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/55805/odyssey-gaol-gear-augments-march-2021/#3569803

Format is full set A, full set B, full set C, full set D
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-10 07:47:46
Link | Citer | R

Damn this is gonna be really hard to put together the most optimal set, there is so much variation in these pieces. The body with Path A will more than likely be BiS for AM3, however body slot also has the best WSD piece from Oseem. So unless you have Turms Body +1 or Ashera Harness, that STP path will be an insane upgrade.

I think we're gonna need to figure out the most reasonable explanation as to what path to take for each piece, they're both so good, damn. So many variables to take into account and for each person will be different.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-10 07:49:30
Link | Citer | R

Also remember that you only get 1 piece and you have to decide which path based on it being for all jobs.

A might be "good" for "job" but B might be "great" for "job" but you use that job less. A lot of weight on the decision.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-10 07:51:11
Link | Citer | R

This is the Magic Evasion set I've been messing with, not sure if more could be done to it, but looks like a solid upgrade to what we had. (I'd put into ffxiah item sets, but no doubt needs updating.)

Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-03-10 07:57:06
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I knew legs were an easy replace and Turms hands/feet were definitely staying. Body and head were the pieces I lneeded the experts to decide on, ha
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-10 07:59:18
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
Yeah I knew legs were an easy replace and Turms hands/feet were definitely staying. Body and head were the pieces I lneeded the experts to decide on, ha

Yeah the body beats AF by like 6 Meva iirc, and head beats Turms cap by about 14. Also each piece has DT which opens more slots for magic evasion such as belt.

Since we swapped legs out, we lose 11 enmity, I used Supershear ring to fill in for the little enmity lost so the tradeoffs weren't that massive, 6 enmity and 2 parry rate from legs.

Edit: I think before the OP gets updated with new sets, I think sets for non-augmented pieces should be included or discussed and compared between current options. Adding sets based around R20 all the time might not be viable so I think maybe having an R0 set and an R20 set.
[+]
 Hades.Dade
Serveur: Hades
user: Dade
By Hades.Dade 2021-03-11 15:15:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Shiraj said: »
This is the Magic Evasion set I've been messing with, not sure if more could be done to it, but looks like a solid upgrade to what we had. (I'd put into ffxiah item sets, but no doubt needs updating.)

assuming grip is utu

why staunch over yamarang? guessing etiolation is to match HP of fc/enmity set? Could swap in sanare otherwise Can drop both and still be MDT cap with shell, not capped without either way.

if want a capped mdt/pdt set can swap tuisto to odnowa+1?
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-03-11 15:32:37
Link | Citer | R

What is goal as much MEVA and capped DT?
using this for swap in
Code
	sets.defense.MEVA = { ammo="Yamarang",
    head="Nyame Helm",
    body="Nyame Mail",
    hands="Nyame Gauntlets",
    legs="Nyame Flanchard",
    feet="Nyame Sollerets",
    neck={ name="Futhark Torque +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
    waist="Engraved Belt",
    left_ear="Eabani Earring",
    right_ear="Flashward Earring",
    left_ring="Purity Ring",
    right_ring="Defending Ring",
    back={ name="Ogma's Cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Mag. Evasion+10','Mag. Evasion+15',}},
}
	 	sets.defense.LightMEVA = set_combine(sets.defense.MEVA, {ear1="Arete del Luna +1",ear2="Arete del Luna"})

and this more for engaged tanking
Code
sets.engaged.TankMEVA =   { ammo="Yamarang",
    head="Nyame Helm",
    body="Nyame Mail",
    hands="Turms Mittens +1",
    legs="Nyame Flanchard",
    feet="Nyame Sollerets",
    neck={ name="Futhark Torque +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
    waist="Engraved Belt",
    left_ear="Flashward Earring",
    right_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", priority=1},
    left_ring="Defending Ring",
    right_ring={ name="Gelatinous Ring +1", priority=1},
    back={ name="Ogma's Cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Mag. Evasion+10','Enmity+10','Parrying rate+5%',}},
}

The real thing I have been playing with is how much Inquartata gear to use in my engaged sets
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-11 15:43:41
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Dade said: »
why staunch over yamarang? guessing etiolation is to match HP of fc/enmity set? Could swap in sanare otherwise Can drop both and still be MDT cap with shell, not capped without either way.

Yeah Etiolation is for those reasons as well as balancing MP. I'm not a fan of dropping below 1000 MP in any of my RUN sets and I try be a weirdo and balance 2800 HP and 1000 MP and capped DT in that Meva set. And that's why I kept Etiolation over Odnowa, but depending on your preference you can of course swap some pieces out etc.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Serveur: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-03-12 06:13:24
Link | Citer | R

Seems we're on the same page about the T4 set. Took a look at it thought "Hmm. Some of these pieces can totally replace idle tanking slots with little down side."

I'm still a bit hesitant about replacing Empy legs though, their 11 enmity and 2 parry is nice to have.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-03-13 12:24:58
Link | Citer | R

Still playing around with this set as well, keeping all parrying stuff
Code
	sets.engaged.TankP={ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
   head="Nyame Helm",
    body="Nyame Mail",
    hands="Turms Mittens +1",
    legs="Eri. Leg Guards +1",
    feet="Turms Leggings +1",
    neck="Futhark Torque +2",
    waist="Engraved Belt",
    ear1={ name="Tuisto Earring", priority=1},
    ear2={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", priority=1},
    left_ring="Defending ring",
    right_ring={ name="Gelatinous Ring +1", priority=1},
    back={ name="Ogma's cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Mag. Evasion+10','Enmity+10','Parrying rate+5%',}}}
By eeternal 2021-03-13 13:52:49
Link | Citer | R

what's the best way to resist Torrent? been having issues with it.. is it water element?
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-13 13:54:48
Link | Citer | R

eeternal said: »
what's the best way to resist Torrent? been having issues with it.. is it water element?

It seems to be physical, so try battuta and parry it. I heard from a tank in discord that it appeared in chat log that Torrent missed him, magic damage can't miss.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-03-13 14:02:59
Link | Citer | R

Torrent doesn't do damage, it's solely gear strip.

I've seen it miss before, but I don't know if it's considered a physical attack and checks evasion, or if it's considered a status effect and checks magic evasion. My hunch is that it's the latter, but I don't really have good evidence.
[+]
By eeternal 2021-03-13 14:05:28
Link | Citer | R

Thanks, I happen to come across this site, and it says its enfeebling .. not sure tho but I had better success in full meva, as opposed to full parry

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI_enemy_abilities#Torrent
 Ragnarok.Martel
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-03-13 14:20:58
Link | Citer | R

eeternal said: »

It seems to be physical, so try battuta and parry it. I heard from a tank in discord that it appeared in chat log that Torrent missed him, magic damage can't miss.
Torrent doesn't deal any damage when it lands, so magic damage not being able to 'miss' is not applicable. It's closer to an enfeeble if anything.

I very much doubt it's physical or else it'd never 'miss' me on PLD. And Shield blocks clearly don't prevent it like they would the effect of regular physical ws.

But since I started using Sakpata's vs Lamia it almost always misses. It was still screwing me over sometimes, until I made a toggle to keep Sakpata's on during WS. Now I've not seen it land in several runs.

I'd like a more absolute method of verification, but with what I've seen so far I think it's a magical effect.

Also, I don't know for certain, but I've been putting barwater up for Lamia anyway. I mean, between the name Torrent, and the water visual effect there's some pretty strong indicators of the possible element. Not that's I'd put it pas SE to screw it up.

Might go dig around on JP wiki or something. See if they have any more info.

EDIT: The JP name for Torrent is being translated as "Undressing Dance". rofl. Nothing on physical vs magical or element though.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-13 14:46:12
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Torrent doesn't deal any damage when it lands, so magic damage not being able to 'miss' is not applicable. It's closer to an enfeeble if anything.

I very much doubt it's physical or else it'd never 'miss' me on PLD. And Shield blocks clearly don't prevent it like they would the effect of regular physical ws.
Good to know, now my question is what did the tank who I spoke to about it actually see if it wasn't Torrent? A mis-read is always possible for sure. I haven't done much testing on it tbh. I kinda be lazy about it and just load my lua and Torrent doesn't affect me.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-03-13 15:08:00
Link | Citer | R

Good to know, now my question is what did the tank who I spoke to about it actually see if it wasn't Torrent? A mis-read is always possible for sure. I haven't done much testing on it tbh. I kinda be lazy about it and just load my lua and Torrent doesn't affect me.
No, he saw Torrent. It says it misses when it fails.
Code
[21:27:16]Agon Rabblerouser readies Torrent.
[21:27:19]Agon Rabblerouser uses Torrent, but misses Martel.

But that doesn't mean it's physical. There are many non-damaging monster attacks that say missed when the enfeebling effect fails.

Spells say resisted. TP moves miss.

The Cerberus move Ululation is a good example.
Code
[19:48:08]Asena uses Ululation, but misses Martel.

Here's one with a Resist! proc too.
Code
[20:50:57]Resist! Agon Magister uses Sandstorm, but misses Martel.
Huh... I didn't even know this one could happen. lol.
Code
[16:45:41]Resist! The Prognosticator Commander uses Doom, but misses Lowen.
[16:50:44]Resist! The Empath Commander uses Doom, but misses Roskva.
Resist ailments procs on Doom.... Cool. It's nice to have a log library you can search for stuff later.
And Charm. and some extras.
Code
[17:18:34]Resist! The Volte Beastmaster uses Charm, but misses Roskva.
[16:49:29]Resist! The Evincing Idol uses Tormentful Glare, but misses Martel.
[20:56:10]Resist! The Nostos Buffalo uses Lowing, but misses Martel.
I've focused on the Resist! in these example cause it's much easier to filter the results than with 'misses', but this should still be pretty clear.

There's no reason to believe that any of these effects are physical. Missing is just how SE chose to express an enfeebling monster ws failing.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-13 15:15:24
Link | Citer | R

There's no reason to believe that any of these effects are physical.
Main reason I said was the tank who told me was on RUN and stated he had Battuta up. My mind just instantly went with physical for non-thinking reasons lol.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-03-13 15:26:06
Link | Citer | R

Amusing addendum. We don't know for certain if Torrent is water elemental, but if it is... then the BRD merrow is out to get you naked.
Code
[21:22:52]Agon Rabblerouser casts Water Threnody.Martel receives the effect of Threnody.
She casts Water Threnody on you, lowering your water resist by 50. Probably pushing it into negative ele resist unless you have barwater up(or are a RUN.) I see 49 cases of this in my logs. So, they do this pretty often. Seems very targeted. Be sure to erase that. <,<
By SimonSes 2021-03-13 15:48:43
Link | Citer | R

Lowering water resist by 50 when you have 700+ doesn't seems to be that scary. I mean its possible it will take you down the tier, but probably not. There is no reason to not have barwater tho.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-03-13 17:58:32
Link | Citer | R

On the question of if Torrent is water elemental, after some brief tests I'm going to go with, yes. Pretty much certainly.

Went out to ye olde Arrapago Reef and rounded up a group of Merrows, and proceeded to let them strip dance me. lol.

Torrent's very watery visual effect shown in image.

First I did a set wearing no ilvl gear or elemental resistance. I actually have an eva- set(a relic of cleaving things in older areas) that puts me at 380 evasion so these were able to get TP from hitting me as well as from diaga spam.

15/42 missed
35.7% resist rate.

I'm surprised this was still so accurate considering this was vs lvl 83 mobs on a lvl 99 master PLD. <,< But this is good, cause if I was capped I wouldn't be able to tell if adding water resistance does anything. Not a huge sample, but sufficient when the purpose is only to detect if there is an effect at all.

Casts barwater and used two sulpor runes(PLD/RUN) putting me at 184 water resist.

28/30 missed
93.3 resist rate. Probably 95%, but small sample size.

It was super effective! <,<; That is a very clear result. And if water resistance works, then meva should help too. So barwater up, and keep meva high to stay clothed.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-03-13 18:02:27
Link | Citer | R

Lowering water resist by 50 when you have 700+ doesn't seems to be that scary. I mean its possible it will take you down the tier, but probably not. There is no reason to not have barwater tho.
This actually reminds me of something else I found that I've been meaning to do a post on. Turns out that tiny ele resist- could actually have significant effects regardless of how much meva you have. Not sure if it also applies to enfeeble resists, but for resisting elemental dmg... yeah, don't let your ele resists go negative.

I'll work on getting a full post out soon.

UPDATE: I posted about this in the PLD thread, since it's likely more relevant to PLD's that RUN's.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-03-16 08:23:28
Link | Citer | R

Given Martel's latest findings about the relation between Elemental Resistance and Meva, does this change anything in gearing for a RUN?

I think, if anything, AF+3 body now looks even more attractive.
There's other things that come to mind too, like Engraved Belt and Warder's Charm +1.
The latter not so much maybe, I dunno. It's good but renouncing to the +2 RUN neck seems like a sour pill to swallow.

Are there any other ilevel items with all elements+?
Can't think of any other relevant one aside from the three I mentioned.

@Martel
I wonder if this resistance relationship that we discovered, just like it applies to magic damage, applies to debuffs as well?
Would I be more less likely to resist "Paralyze" if, in addition to Resist Para/Meva I have zero or even negative Ice element defense?
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-03-16 08:28:38
Link | Citer | R

I already use af body, so I think I'll use nya head and legs and rock the engraved belt as my changes. And probably nya hands and feet as well for non-engaged (I'm hardly ever not engaged, but we will see)
By SimonSes 2021-03-16 09:10:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
@Martel
I wonder if this resistance relationship that we discovered, just like it applies to magic damage, applies to debuffs as well?
Would I be more less likely to resist "Paralyze" if, in addition to Resist Para/Meva I have zero or even negative Ice element defense?

Asura.Geriond said: »
I just reflected some Stuns off of a Colibri, in 5/5 Malignance.

Neutral resistance: 5/5 resists
-30 Lightning resistance: 5/5 landed for 2 seconds

So you cant fully resist debuff with negative elemental resist, but you dont need positive elemental resist to fully resist debuff.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-03-16 10:34:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
@Martel

Asura.Geriond said: »
I just reflected some Stuns off of a Colibri, in 5/5 Malignance.

Neutral resistance: 5/5 resists
-30 Lightning resistance: 5/5 landed for 2 seconds

So you cant fully resist debuff with negative elemental resist, but you don't need positive elemental resist to fully resist debuff.
I suspect that this will depend on the number of resist states for the debuff.

Like for sleep, there's full duration(no resist) half duration(1/2 resist) and then fully resisted(which I guess would equate to 1/4 resist.)

So with negative resist you'd only get 1/2 at best, so fully preventing sleep would become impossible.
But for a debuff that only has full duration or doesn't land at all, then I suspect even a 1/2 resist would fully prevent. So negative ele resist wouldn't lock you out of preventing the status.

Keep in mind that I'm speculating here. This would need to be tested.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 13 14 15