Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 13 14 15
 Asura.Pergatory
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-10-21 11:06:19
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Toralin said: »
Taeon Augs until herc 4/5?

phalanx+3
sird(10) or -crit(4)?
Defense 20?

I did phalanx, SIRD, and magic evasion. (Except hands where I did enemy crit rate)
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-10-21 15:47:22
Link | Citer | R

What tier on enhancing skill to be go for on Phalanx?
444? or people stretching to 472 and sac'ing a bunch of HP?

Was thinking trying to stay around 3000hp would be ideal, but dat uber phalanx

Phalanx
500 -35dmg
472 -34dmg
444 -33dmg

Is this accurate?
 Asura.Wotasu
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2020-10-21 15:55:36
Link | Citer | R

I only go fo the 444 skill, I have the gear to hit 472+ but I would drop 600hp.
[+]
By Crossbones 2020-10-21 16:06:23
Link | Citer | R

I use the 444 tier as well but if I have a RDM or SCH in my PT I just let them cast it on me instead (which is prob most of the time).
 Ragnarok.Martel
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-10-21 16:18:54
Link | Citer | R

If you have a RDM with a good enhancing duration set, you can use embolden then have them phalanx you. Can get more than 10 minute duration Phalanx. Fulltime Embolden Phalanx.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-10-21 16:20:37
Link | Citer | R

I got up to 3000, but only at 471 skill, *** lame

ItemSet 376173
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-10-21 17:58:27
Link | Citer | R

I go for 472 with this set:

ItemSet 295879

473 skill, 2850 HP. You could gain another 40 HP using Tuisto, I kept the Odnowa for DT.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-10-21 19:54:19
Link | Citer | R

Phalanx isn't like Flash/Foil- you're not really casting it so often that taking an HP hit is going to ruin your life.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-10-21 21:12:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Pergatory said: »
I go for 472 with this set:

ItemSet 295879

473 skill, 2850 HP. You could gain another 40 HP using Tuisto, I kept the Odnowa for DT.
Guess it depends on your fc set HP if your fc brings you to 2700 might as well go 473
[+]
By Crossbones 2020-10-21 23:39:55
Link | Citer | R

Keep in mind it's not only about hp its also about keeping some dt and other damage mitigation in your set in case you have to reapply it mid fight (although you can make a different set for that I guess).
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-10-22 02:27:26
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
If you have a RDM with a good enhancing duration set, you can use embolden then have them phalanx you. Can get more than 10 minute duration Phalanx. Fulltime Embolden Phalanx.

You can also use King of Hearts. His phalanx II has 6 min duration, so should be close to 10min with Embolden + cape?
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-10-22 12:44:34
Link | Citer | R

Is cohort cloak BI/mS for lunge? FIrly new to RUN.
 Asura.Wotasu
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2020-10-22 13:54:30
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »

You can also use King of Hearts. His phalanx II has 6 min duration, so should be close to 10min with Embolden + cape?
Embolden reduces that to 3min and Cape add ~15% so about 3:45?
[+]
By Crossbones 2020-10-22 14:26:43
Link | Citer | R

Yeah Simon did the math backwards on that, been there more times than I can count lol.
By SimonSes 2020-10-22 14:53:48
Link | Citer | R

Crossbones said: »
Yeah Simon did the math backwards on that, been there more times than I can count lol.

Lol, shows that I dont play RUN at all XD Yeah I always read that as increase, not decrease XD Im blind XD
By Mrgrim 2020-10-22 22:52:22
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of Phalanx, I been using embolden Phalanx II from RDM who equips max enh duration/enhancing magic skill, lasts like 8-10mins and its quite good against the troll ambuscade (have yet to get killed when dropped to 1hp).

Edit: Just noticed Martel said the same also a couple posts above!
By Crossbones 2020-10-22 23:53:02
Link | Citer | R

Works with sch too.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-11-07 00:13:51
Link | Citer | R

Hi all, apologies for not updating guide. I put it off for a few reasons, but it's finally done.

Latests additions:
Added Job Points + Gifts section
Added tanking tips from older guide + extra enmity mechanics info.
Added a few additional sets such as DT WS sets and few other adjustments to other sets.
Added JSE gear and what I'd recommend to get first and explantion of each piece.

I hope these updates are welcomed, and if there are any improvements to the sets with the new UNM augments, feel free to suggest and we can discusss why they are better than previous items.
[+]
By Crossbones 2020-11-07 10:40:47
Link | Citer | R

Great updates shiraj! Couple suggestions to some gear sets;I think empy legs are better than AF even for magic evasion, 107 vs 99 + 10 chance to resist ailment which is halved on NMs = 104 plus less enmity and pdt (unless I did the math wrong it's early for me). Also I much prefer odnawa and di earring to genmei (0 hp) and etiolation. The parry set is an interesting idea, I never thought about using relic body to tank and making a parry cape. Then again, I'm rarely engaged and only use relic body for resolution but it's good to think about.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-11-07 13:26:24
Link | Citer | R

Crossbones said: »
Also I much prefer odnawa and di earring to genmei (0 hp) and etiolation.

I've thought about this pairing a lot and while I understand why some people like it, it feels as your'd be losing so much MP from using them 2 earrings, which was why I only had one in a set. But with the big HP boost it definitely can work well.

Since I haven't used the pairing yet, what is maintaining MP like with such a huge drop? Do you need extra support maintaining MP?

Edit: Also what is HP dip like? I'm a very strong advocate of balancing HP within all sets so there is a very small jump between sets.
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-11-07 13:50:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Shiraj said: »

Since I haven't used the pairing yet, what is maintaining MP like with such a huge drop? Do you need extra support maintaining MP?

Totally fine, I've never had a problem yet. I had the same reservations at first since it's a pretty fat MP drop, but you just don't deplete mp fast enough over the course of a normal fight to have a problem, and you can always Tenebrae it back or pop a consumable if it does become one.
By Crossbones 2020-11-07 15:49:26
Link | Citer | R

I don't have any issues with MP (except windy taru *** that guy all day) and all my sets barring like phalanx, temper, SS, aqua don't dip more than 100~HP. I think some of my sets even have more HP than my idle / tank sets. I even neglect to keep refresh up on myself and still rarely have MP issues thanks to AF body and pulse.

FC set: sets.precast.FC = {ammo="Impatiens",
head="Rune. Bandeau +3",
body="Adhemar Jacket +1",
hands={ name="Leyline Gloves", augments={'Accuracy+15','Mag. Acc.+15','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+15','"Fast Cast"+3',}},
legs="Aya. Cosciales +2",
feet="Erilaz Greaves +1",
neck="Voltsurge Torque",
waist="Audumbla Sash",
left_ear="Tuisto Earring",
right_ear="Odnowa Earring +1",
left_ring="Gelatinous Ring +1",
right_ring="Moonlight Ring",
back={ name="Ogma's cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','"Fast Cast"+10','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},}

-3044 HP in town no food

Enmity set: sets.enmity = {ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
head="Halitus Helm",
body="Emet Harness +1",
hands="Kurys Gloves",
legs="Eri. Leg Guards +1",
neck="Futhark Torque +2",
waist="Kasiri Belt",
right_ring={name="Moonlight Ring",priority=15,bag="wardrobe2"},
back={ name="Ogma's cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','HP+20','Enmity+10','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},}

-3061 HP in town no food

Idle set: sets.idle = {ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
head="Turms Cap +1",
body="Runeist's Coat +3",
hands="Turms Mittens +1",
legs="Eri. Leg Guards +1",
neck="Futhark Torque +2",
waist="Flume Belt",
right_ring="Defending Ring",
back={ name="Ogma's cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','HP+20','Enmity+10','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},}

- 3133 HP in town no food
 Lakshmi.Watusa
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2020-11-14 16:33:25
Link | Citer | R

Is there a significant damage difference between going from an R15 Epeo to an R15 Lionheart for DD RUN?

I'm trying to discern whether it's worth my efforts to chase after getting a Lionheart and taking it to R15. AM3 + Epeo is already pretty tasty enough.
By Crossbones 2020-11-14 18:16:13
Link | Citer | R

I personally don't use lionheart for anything. Chances are if I can get away with using it on rune I can probably just swap to an actual dps job. It has been in my storage for over a year, R15 epeo is just really broken and imo is the best item in the game. That being said R15 LH is quite strong offensively, though to me the situations where it's the best pick are very niche but that's my take.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-11-14 18:33:07
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I think that's the biggest problem with R15 Lion. The situations where you want to go full DD but can't just be a DD job are few and far between. Sure R15 Lionheart should outparse Epeo with maxed buffs but odds are you could also just be WAR SAM MNK DRG DRK etc. etc. with their appropriate R15 REMA in those situations and also outparse both.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Watusa
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2020-11-16 00:57:57
Link | Citer | R

That's a very good point... If I'm going full-blown damage and don't need the PDT from Epeo, why not just switch to an actual DD job.

That settles it, not wasting my time and money. Thanks boys!
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-11-16 02:42:25
Link | Citer | R

I only have R15 Epe and R1 Lion.
Lionheart is still a nice weapon and R15 Lion is one of the few aeonic where it's worth it to go for R15, at least in theory.

In Zerg fights, RUN can be an excellent DPS when not tanking, and when I mean excellent I mean it can actually outparse other DDs.
It's not a surprise, a long time ago RUN DD with Lion used to come in first place on stuff like Warder of Courage zergs etc.

Why? Well because when you're capped on acc/att Resolution is a beast and Lioneart is awesome, but mostly it was because of the huge magic evasion RUN has, allowing RUN to resist most debuffs/stun and continuing to do full DPS while other DDs would be crippled by a few seconds of paralyze, a few seconds of stun, and so on.

Now, are things still the same? I don't think so. The gap in gear (meva) is much smaller between RUN and the majority of the other DDs, plus a lot of other DDs received noticeable buffs since then. So no, I don't think RUN DD nowadays is still in the same position it was back then.

So we're left to using Lionheart in hybrid setups when RUN is tanking but the stuff he's tanking is not really that dangerous and wants to maximize DPS.
Would R15 offer more DPS in such situations compared to R15 Epe?
Quite likely.
Is it worth it though?
Imho no.
Especially because Epeolatry grants you a lot and I mean a lot of freedom in the gear you can swap in the other slots without fear of being completely defenseless if you get hit, say, during a WS and stuff like that.
Even if you want to do more DPS because u're in a hybrid set, at the end of the day you're still a tank.
If it's such a situation where a tank is not needed, why use RUN at all then, just go with a MNK or something else.
So yeah, if u're using a RUN, even in Hybrid, it's because you do need a Tank, and given this, I'd rather be with Epe and swap the rest of my gear rather than going for Lionheart.

That's just my personal view on things of course.
[+]
 Cerberus.Echohawk
Serveur: Cerberus
user: echohawk
By Cerberus.Echohawk 2020-11-16 05:06:17
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Wikitaru said: »
Hi, I saw many rune fencers who do not draw weapons while tanking. What is the logic behind it? Doesn’t rune fencer rely on parying for damage cut and cure?
Parry can be nice but my understanding is that sometime its not worth the TP feed in certain situations. To a lesser extent, when super tanking you can get locked in and unable to move if there's too many things swinging/casting at you while you pull out your weapon. Mostly the tp thing tho
 Odin.Creaucent
Serveur: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-11-16 07:29:00
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Echohawk said: »
Odin.Wikitaru said: »
Hi, I saw many rune fencers who do not draw weapons while tanking. What is the logic behind it? Doesn’t rune fencer rely on parying for damage cut and cure?
Parry can be nice but my understanding is that sometime its not worth the TP feed in certain situations. To a lesser extent, when super tanking you can get locked in and unable to move if there's too many things swinging/casting at you while you pull out your weapon. Mostly the tp thing tho

That and with Epeo, a decent Phalanx set and a RDM with capped enhancing magic/duration you can embolden Phalanx with a 10min duration and take next to no damage.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 13 14 15