Anyone From The Old Days Still Around?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Quetzalcoatl » Anyone from the old days still around?
Anyone from the old days still around?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2023-02-23 21:18:43
Link | Citer | R

But also, KI days Were Derfthegalka, and GMdave days also, haha, and......

QUOTE TRAIN!
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-02-23 23:31:17
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Derfthegalka, and GMdave
*** Horizon, bring back Derf and GM Dave! Way more content there!
[+]
By Rinuko 2023-02-24 04:46:46
Link | Citer | R

CrAZYVIC said: »
DARK SOULS
Soulsborne is awesome. I love fromsoft games.
[+]
By kinkanat 2023-02-24 05:11:48
Link | Citer | R

Horizon hates jobs and destroys them like Ninja or damages others and eliminates mechanics like Kite from Red Mage.

And it makes obscenely broken jobs like SMN or BLM or BST...

Also its developers are arrogant and have no idea of the changes they are making, it does not obey any respect for FFXI.

It is not a good server, the only good thing about it is that it is in its honeymoon phase and therefore has a lot of people leveling for now, but when people see how unbalanced the jobs are they will lose a lot of people.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-24 07:47:45
Link | Citer | R

QUOTE TRAIN!
Quote train!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-02-24 08:24:28
Link | Citer | R

kinkanat said: »
It is not a good server, the only good thing about it is that it is in its honeymoon phase and therefore has a lot of people leveling for now, but when people see how unbalanced the jobs are they will lose a lot of people.

The sad part is the people who did all the actual work on the files these servers use did so because they thought the game was near closing, when they found out it was not they pretty much stopped working on it.

However the work they did is now being used by these private server owners to do actual damage to the game, and they keep setting up more and more of them.

The actions these people took to try save the thing are now being used as weapons to kill it.

It's amazing to me that people cannot see how damaging these things can be, by the time the damage becomes apparent it will be too late. Acceptance of private servers is like smoking for 20 years, by the time you see it's doing serious damage it's too late to stop. Square Enix won't give you a warning, they will see profits dropping and bring down the hammer.

There is nothing good about private servers unless they follow a game closure, the people working on them won't do anything new because they are not developers. The only future they have is re-releasing stuff the actual developers made upto abyssea again and that will be the end, they can't make new content because they are talentless, they can't make new stories for the same reason.

If someone made a private server for XIV the players would goto war on it, they would ddos it and demand it be taken down. Many XI players embrace it..sad
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2023-02-24 09:57:15
Link | Citer | R

Here we are again!

Horizon: still fun. Server: not terrible.

And it makes obscenely broken jobs like SMN or BLM or BST...
All adequately tuned. SMNs and BLMs keep to themselves in manaburn parties now. SMN's get refreshga but it's 2 MP per tick instead of 3. Honestly they needed something to make them viable for leveling instead of being a subpar healer.

BST is fine, there are just a lot of them because people like to solo and view it as an avenue to make money.

Horizon hates jobs and destroys them like Ninja or damages others and eliminates mechanics like Kite from Red Mage.

NIN thing undeniable. They've made a mistake there. RDM kite is not nerfed. Gravity is simply bugged with confirmation from dev that it is hard to fix. Had a RDM friend solo Sewer Syrup for me just yesterday at Lv68 using the tried and true methods of RDM soloing.

The downside is that the economy is like the wild west, but so was original FFXI economy. Everybody is trying to make a buck with 'merc' shouts, but that's more a sign of 2023 mentality. The market is competition. And I think that's the major difference between retail and private servers. I've been on retail the past 4 years and nothing consistently stoked my competitive fire there.

I've had nothing but fun since release. There are 3600 players on nightly. It is the most authentic 75-era experience that will likely ever come around unless SE announces official vanilla. If you have a hard time understanding why players would want this experience, you are being purposefully dense.
By kinkanat 2023-02-24 10:14:06
Link | Citer | R

No no, yes I love the 75 era and I love it, but Horizon is a custom server under the opinion of players who don't understand much about FFXI.

Ninja is dead and in the latest video from the developers they just said to get over it XD.

The only good thing about Horizon is that it shows that there is an audience that wants that more hardcore and challenging experience, but it has to come from someone who really knows the game and not from people who have no idea how the jobs work.

Eden seems to me much better server was 75.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-24 10:23:17
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Belkin said: »
It is the most authentic 75-era experience that will likely ever come around unless SE announces official vanilla.
I'm not going to argue about HorizonXI's quality, but I do think this statement is false. That's not what the HorizonXI devs are going for. They aren't trying to make it an authentic 75-era experience and they've said so. In fact, that's the whole point. The idea behind HorizonXI is that "FFXI in the 75 era was flawed so we're rebooting it with our own ideas".

Level sync, no gear scaling, job overhauls, 99-era abilities and spells, Hardcore Mode, economic changes, RMT changes, EXP changes, city rearranging and rebalancing, a different launcher, different music, different visuals, baked-in addons and plugins, and an upcoming new HUD.

I would go so far as to say it's about as modified as it could possibly be. Indeed, the Reddit thread that tracks and lists all of these private servers even places it under the "75 Capped (Custom)" category. It's not even remotely authentic to 2004~2005 FFXI.

(I would like to reiterate that I'm discussing solely the authenticity, not the quality, in this post)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-02-24 10:23:45
Link | Citer | R

CrAZYVIC said: »
The king of "***-posting" was undoubtedly Treelo in the killing ifrit THF forums. No one will snatch the crown from that god k?

KI days was that Darknight dude.... Forgot his exact name.
Madawc.

Dammit, he instantly came to mind when I read "shitposting" and "KI" in the same post, but I didn't want to comment.

You made me log in.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2023-02-24 11:08:22
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
It's not even remotely authentic to 2004~2005 FFXI.

I'll start prefacing these posts with "this is my opinion".

It is my opinion, after playing for two months, taking my time, and doing a wide variety of activities, that it is indeed VERY CLOSE to authentic.

There are some things you can most definitely consider 'not era' or 'not authentic' but you get over it because it is a drop in the bucket. The only two things that made more than a drop in the bucket were the NIN changes and the fact that BST can use jug pet. They've taken steps to make NIN main viable again and BST is starting to drop off hard as they reel in jug pet strength.

Other than that, the Valkurm experience is the same. Qufim is the same. Yuhtunga is the same. The entire leveling experience is nearly the same. The mission are exactly what I remembered. Promyvions needed players to pay attention, prepare, and execute.

In my brain, this has felt the closest to a time machine that we'll get for this game. From the AF hunting, to camping something like Stroper Chyme, to the BCNMs I do along the way. Even something simple like having to carry Silent Oils/Prism Powders and an Instant Warp scroll at all times. Horizon does a good job at tricking my feeble brain into thinking this is original with very small tweaks.

Again, just my opinion. I am formerly a retail lifer and I am vouching for Horizon being fun.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-24 11:32:08
Link | Citer | R

Other than that, the Valkurm experience is the same. Qufim is the same. Yuhtunga is the same. The entire leveling experience is nearly the same. The mission are exactly what I remembered. Promyvions needed players to pay attention, prepare, and execute.
Everything you just described though is true on a dozen other private servers: the slow EXP grind that requires other players, the level-capped CoP missions being genuinely difficult, the AF quests, the NM camping. Those all exist on other servers too.

But those other servers didn't replace the background music with Tweex's orchestral remixes or add neon hair color options or add 10% sales tax to starting cities and zones to discourage players from being there. Their Beastmasters aren't using daggers as their main weapons, and Perfect Dodge doesn't give 95% accuracy for its duration.

If your goal is an "authentic 75-era experience", a server like Eden is certainly more up your alley. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just trying to understand the logic. And authenticity isn't a subjective matter, which is why I'm focusing on it in this discussion.

BST is fine, there are just a lot of them because people like to solo
If such a disproportionate number of people are playing Beastmaster to solo, why not just play retail? I thought the whole point of these servers was "Retail is a single-player game, take me back to when I needed to block off 3 hours in my day to accomplish even the simplest thing".
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2023-02-24 12:01:18
Link | Citer | R

If your goal is an "authentic 75-era experience", a server like Eden is certainly more up your alley. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just trying to understand what the point of it is.

There are like 90 people on Eden. The people who stubbornly remain are people in HNM LS with relics they've grown attached to. Eden ship has sailed -- there are no new players starting on Eden.

And if roughly a quarter of the playerbase is soloing on Beastmaster anyway (and another quarter on Thief), why not just play retail? I thought the whole point of these servers was "Retail is a single-player game, take me back to when I needed to block off 3 hours in my day to accomplish even the simplest thing".

There are 233 BSTs online. There are 2124 people online. It's not quite as dramatic as you've outlined. I play with 5 other real players on a daily basis and I have fun. It's not even a challenge to find them unless you hold out for a BRD for your EXP PT.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-24 12:03:45
Link | Citer | R

If you aren't holding out for a bard, then it's not the era experience.

You make your party, you beg every bard on the server, you disband because no bard no point.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2023-02-24 12:03:47
Link | Citer | R

I'm just trying to understand what the point of it is.

Oh, the most important sentence. The point is I'm having fun. The only point that matters. When it is not fun anymore, I will stop playing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-24 12:05:19
Link | Citer | R

Ah crap. That's what I get for answering the phone while in the middle of editing a post lol
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-24 12:32:38
Link | Citer | R

There are like 90 people on Eden. The people who stubbornly remain are people in HNM LS with relics they've grown attached to. Eden ship has sailed -- there are no new players starting on Eden.
So then you're not looking for authenticity, you're looking for a population. There's the logic I was looking for.

That's fine. No one's going to judge you for wanting to play HorizonXI because it's got a healthy population. But don't say it's because HorizonXI is an authentic experience, because it's really not.

There are 233 BSTs online. There are 2124 people online. It's not quite as dramatic as you've outlined. I play with 5 other real players on a daily basis and I have fun. It's not even a challenge to find them unless you hold out for a BRD for your EXP PT.
Except that count doesn't account for the mules and fisherpeople, of which most will be one of the 6 starter jobs. And that's not going to include anyone who is /anon, reducing the denominator by a few hundred. Performing a search myself, only including levels 20 (since you need to be 15 to fish) thru 75 and excluding those /anon, I found 14.8% of the players currently online are Beastmaster. On a server with 17 jobs, the fact that a single job is 1/6th of the population is by definition disproportionate.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-02-24 12:32:43
Link | Citer | R

When it is not fun anymore, I will stop playing.

The problem is the real game might not be here when you "stop having fun" trying to level to 75 again. I don't care what you do honestly, but you and others are trying to shill the game to other XI players and even if you keep paying, they might not.

This game lives or dies based on profits, Square Enix don't care about 11. We are on a shoestring and people like you are hacking away at it.

The people running that server don't care about ff11 at all (and btw the crappy one you're on isn't the only one, there are around 20), they just care about making money and if you think anything else you don't live in the real world. People who do care, and I'll assume you do.. should never shill or even speak positive of it in any way because when you do you're actually shilling it to anyone reading what you type.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2023-02-24 13:09:29
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
People who do care, and I'll assume you do.. should never shill or even speak positive of it in any way because when you do you're actually shilling it to anyone reading what you type.

Whoa, I didn't know I had that amount of power.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-02-24 13:23:09
Link | Citer | R

If you didn't you wouldn't be putting so much effort to defend that garbage would you tho?
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2023-02-24 14:25:00
Link | Citer | R

My problem with Horizon is: my life doesn't look like it used to. I can't dedicate that amount of time and effort to it, to get ahead and get functional. I was in high school when I played back then, and had a lot of free time. I don't have that kind of time in my life currently. And I don't really want to spend it in that way anywho. I have my original character still. Why would I do it again? If I wanted a bigger population, I could server hop. But I don't really because I don't want to deal with the toxicity, which I guarantee you exists on Horizon. I'm pretty happy with the current end-game that I participate in, though I wish they churned out some more content.

But I don't particularly hold it against anyone for trying it. Though I think there's some fair points made about legacy servers taking away from retail, and that's a shame. But really, that's only if it influences SEs decision-making in regard to retail. If it doesn't, it's a moot point.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-24 14:49:57
Link | Citer | R

It's not even remotely authentic to 2004~2005 FFXI.

I'll start prefacing these posts with "this is my opinion".

It is my opinion, after playing for two months, taking my time, and doing a wide variety of activities, that it is indeed VERY CLOSE to authentic.

There are some things you can most definitely consider 'not era' or 'not authentic' but you get over it because it is a drop in the bucket. The only two things that made more than a drop in the bucket were the NIN changes and the fact that BST can use jug pet. They've taken steps to make NIN main viable again and BST is starting to drop off hard as they reel in jug pet strength.

In my brain, this has felt the closest to a time machine that we'll get for this game. From the AF hunting, to camping something like Stroper Chyme, to the BCNMs I do along the way. Even something simple like having to carry Silent Oils/Prism Powders and an Instant Warp scroll at all times. Horizon does a good job at tricking my feeble brain into thinking this is original with very small tweaks.

Again, just my opinion. I am formerly a retail lifer and I am vouching for Horizon being fun.

Yet none of those things were enough to entice you to try the 15 other dumb servers that came before this one. Yeah, here you are again shilling for that garbage. Littered with bugs and neckbeards with nostalgia goggles bolted on. Its so funny how so many people here think they are so above the crowds and trends, and yet they are all bandwagoning for a private server and following like sheep after a millionaire has a successful ad campaign to push the server.

Yeah you can have fun and pretend to be in the 75 cap again, but the majority of people slinging ***at retail XI and repeating the same mantras (game is EZ, game is dead, game only solo with trust babies) are actually hurting it in the end. You may think individually that you don't have power to hurt retail XI, but collectively they are definitely hurting it and it will have long term repercussions. Not a single person streaming or making content for that server has said anything positive about retail. They always attack it in some shape or form, its almost impossible for them to play that server without doing so.

No no, yes I love the 75 era and I love it, but Horizon is a custom server under the opinion of players who don't understand much about FFXI.

Ninja is dead and in the latest video from the developers they just said to get over it XD.

The only good thing about Horizon is that it shows that there is an audience that wants that more hardcore and challenging experience, but it has to come from someone who really knows the game and not from people who have no idea how the jobs work.

Eden seems to me much better server was 75.

75 era was complete GARBAGE. I just don't understand this fascination with it. There is literally nothing harder from that era than current retail aside from actual bosses that were designed to be unbeaten. Everything else is more challenging now than it was. People are just illusioned by mainstream access to bots and multi boxing as a result of bots/addons and peoples expendable income. I've already see people with multiple lv75s on that server, beating all the missions and easily beating things like Divine Might. Only 2~3 months after release, yet somehow this is suppose to be way harder than retail. Just because you are forced to take longer to do things (even basic things like walking lol) doesn't make something harder.

A bunch of people completely blinded by nostalgia and making outrageous claims like its the second coming of christ or something. All of these private servers are complete garbage, filled with bugs. They can all poof at any moment or slowly die a death like that Eden server and you watch your work go up in smoke. At least XI retail still has new things, updates and is supported.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2023-02-24 16:06:31
Link | Citer | R

QUOTE TRAIN!
Quote train!

Choo muthaferkin choo choo! QUOTE TRAIN!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-02-24 17:49:41
Link | Citer | R

QUOTE TRAIN!
Quote train!

+1
[+]
 Asura.Benchiro
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Benchiro 2023-02-24 18:51:30
Link | Citer | R

I'm gonna include Lindart in my prayer requests tonight. I pray he lets go of his needless rage and unnecessary hate, and can just love XI for what it is, not for what he thinks it should be. May God bless us all tonight.
[+]
By rkhan 2023-02-24 20:30:39
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vyre said: »
Flion, you still Welsh? :D

Just about, I run a huge Discord server these days lmao
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-24 21:22:07
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
QUOTE TRAIN!
Quote train!

+1
I'm down to see how far this will go :3
[+]
By McDavid 2023-02-24 22:03:06
Link | Citer | R

Damn you people on ffxiah sure HATE the fact Horizon is thriving lol. Entertaining to read though, keep it up.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9