Anyone From The Old Days Still Around?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Quetzalcoatl » Anyone from the old days still around?
Anyone from the old days still around?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Draylo 2023-02-25 21:23:46
Link | Citer | R

It also doesn't help that a large portion of players who used to play the game have this distorted mindset about what it is now. It's like they were so butthurt over Abyssea, they can't see the game as anything else but horrible for outdating their gear. I just got this gem of a comment and its literally copy and paste what all these dummies say 24/7:

Quote:
YOu're *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE dude.. FFXI is brain dead simple now compared to what it used to be. That's why the game is barely holding on with life support, and there are more people playing the old school private servers than the retail version.

you like the game, I get it. That's perfectly fine.. but stop kidding yourself saying the game is hard.. It's brain dead simple, and ever since Abysea it's destroyed everything that made FFXI unique and fun.

The challenge is all but gone..

The community is all but gone..

The need to rely on others is all but gone..

All the old content cities are dead.. and AH are dead. Wasn't like that back in the day.. no matter what level you were, or where you were in content you still had to move around the whole world, making the world feel alive.. Now it feels dead because everyone is just in end game city.

It's a flickering shadow of what it used to be.

So lets see, the game is brain dead simple now compared to 75 era. An era where people melee burned literally everything towards the end. Where RDM soloed like 70% of the end game with DOT kiting. Where people endlessly bashed crabs or colibri for exp in the same handful of zones. That is all big brain stuff, but Odyssey NMs, Delve on release, master trials and so on are all 2 EZ mode. Everyone sitting in "end game city"
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-25 21:38:08
Link | Citer | R

The worst part is these absolute goons are doing everything they can to hurt and kill off retail, ever since Abyssea. They are DYING for the day that the game finally goes under so they can say "I TOLD YOU SO, SEE!" They've literally been saying variations of that post since Abyssea started lol. The countless PMs I used to get from these people during that era, just hating on anyone who still enjoyed the game. I honestly think someone could write a book on it.

Just absolute dummies, this server emboldened them. So many of them saying it has more players than retail which is an absolute lie. Not to mention they aren't paying a dime, yet somehow SE is suppose to look at this and say WOW golly, we can make so much money look at how many freeloading people are on that private server.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-25 21:55:33
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
ff14 is what they care about because it's monetized far better
Rovio is delisting Angry Birds for this same reason.
 Asura.Iamaman
Serveur: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-02-25 22:44:48
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
It also doesn't help that a large portion of players who used to play the game have this distorted mindset about what it is now. It's like they were so butthurt over Abyssea, they can't see the game as anything else but horrible for outdating their gear. I just got this gem of a comment and its literally copy and paste what all these dummies say 24/7:

Quote:
YOu're *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE dude.. FFXI is brain dead simple now compared to what it used to be. That's why the game is barely holding on with life support, and there are more people playing the old school private servers than the retail version.

you like the game, I get it. That's perfectly fine.. but stop kidding yourself saying the game is hard.. It's brain dead simple, and ever since Abysea it's destroyed everything that made FFXI unique and fun.

The challenge is all but gone..

The community is all but gone..

The need to rely on others is all but gone..

All the old content cities are dead.. and AH are dead. Wasn't like that back in the day.. no matter what level you were, or where you were in content you still had to move around the whole world, making the world feel alive.. Now it feels dead because everyone is just in end game city.

I wonder what people who make these comments do in the game to determine that any of these things are the case.

Content cities are dead? There are people all over Jeuno. Whitegate is constantly full of people, so are the starting cities. Rabao is full of people doing Odyssey. Mhaura lags out sometimes because there are so many people crowded there. The only content city that I can think of that is dead is Kazham and arguably Tavnazia.

The AH is dead? WTF? No it isn't. It's pretty simple to see this is objectively false.

It's obvious they ignore content like Odyssey when they claim the challenge is gone. I brought this up to someone and their response was that getting into Odyssey was too hard. So the challenge is gone, but somehow the content is too hard? I don't blame them necessarily, getting to the point where you can participate in that content is difficult and it kinda blends into the background if you aren't ready for it.

The community is gone is similar nonsense.

I've just concluded these types login during free login for the first time in a decade, their LS is dead, their gear irrelevant, they spend 5 minutes and no one is begging them to do anything, so they assume it's all dead then go whine every time it comes up.

I'm being reductionist a bit here, but I struggle to comprehend how anyone could think some of these things by spending more than an hour in game or paying attention to current content. These are the flat earthers of the FFXI community, you can try to reason with them, but the reality is they will always say you are wrong without actually doing any level of research into what the truth is.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-02-26 00:19:35
Link | Citer | R

This thread is amusing for several reasons.

1) The folks who hate private servers have done such an exceptional job of advertising them. Yes, you're insulting the premise (which I understand and partially agree with), but all it does is give anyone who reads this a boatload of curiosity.

2) Free FFXI you say? Healthy population you say? We can get away with things and stream whatever, you say? Sounds exciting! Where do I sign up?

3) A time machine to the old days? Gee whiz. Allow me to get my nostalgia goggles out of the davenport. Forward to the past, here we come!

4) I've shared many grievances over modern day XI, but let's not kid ourselves, the old days had many flaws. The only difference between then and now are population numbers and some QoL updates. The game didn't change as much as some have convinced themselves.

5) For the record, I would never join a private server because I already slogged through old school XI with my DRK that nobody wanted to invite (emo /cry). It will never be 2004 again because the folks I grew up with are long gone. Holding on to old content is understandable, I love a good nostalgia trip sometimes, but private servers won't provide the same experience for most, as it merely gives an illusion of one.

If you really wanted, you could play as level 75 and fight Nidhogg on the main servers, too. But you're still not getting 2004 back no matter how you do it, because XI is about the friends you made, more so than the content. Always has, always will.

6) In the end it doesn't matter, people will do what they want and I respect their choices. When I get back on the main game I'll make it fun for my group, and they will make it fun for me. There won't be a second thought about needing to jump server or play private. But for those who do want a free, highly populated nostalgia trip... boy, this thread sells it so well, lol. The back and forth sniping helps no one.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-02-26 01:27:58
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
If Square-Enix put out a C&D for any private server, that server would basically become a martyr and its development team would become heroes. "Oh wow, Square-Enix themselves felt threatened by this server. Obviously it was on the right track and it's clearly better than their product!"
I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I dont think they can C&D for running a private server. Usage of assets may fall under fair use since its non-profit.

If they charged a monthly fee, SE's lawyers would be all over that like white on rice.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-02-26 01:31:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
2)We can get away with things and stream whatever, you say? Sounds exciting! Where do I sign up?
Once again this is being brought up

I can make an account on Horizon and fishbot or xp bot without worry of getting banned?
DOUBT IT

Whos gotten banned for streaming FFXI that isnt using 3rd pt tools?
By RadialArcana 2023-02-26 11:57:51
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
1) The folks who hate private servers have done such an exceptional job of advertising them. Yes, you're insulting the premise (which I understand and partially agree with), but all it does is give anyone who reads this a boatload of curiosity.

That Rooks didn't make private server talk against the rules is what gave it attention, not that anyone expected anything else from him of course.

Guy will literally lock anything except the thing he should.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-02-26 12:24:17
Link | Citer | R

"things that I don't want to see" != "things that he should"
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-26 12:25:56
Link | Citer | R

Private servers are this weird "it's still about 11" but also "has nothing to do with what this place is for"

Adds no value. Shouldn't be here. But also isn't automatically "bad" just always ends up bad. It should be in it's own useless section. BG just did that like yesterday. Made it's own little corner to die in.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-02-26 12:27:42
Link | Citer | R

Welcome to ffxiah where 9 out of 10 threads are full of idiots adding no value
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-02-26 12:28:09
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I dont think they can C&D for running a private server. Usage of assets may fall under fair use since its non-profit.

If they charged a monthly fee, SE's lawyers would be all over that like white on rice.
Haven't they been preventing XIV private servers since the very beginning?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-26 12:30:59
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »

Haven't they been preventing XIV private servers since the very beginning?

Age. They C&D'd XI servers, when it was fresh, too.

Darkstar, I think? Maybe the one before that? It's been a long damn time.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-02-26 12:33:27
Link | Citer | R

There also haven't been any xiv private servers. Most you can do right now is set up what is essentially a big world and model viewer and a rudimentary mechanic simulator. No one has backwards engineered xiv to the point of being able to actually run the game themselves yet.

That said the take that the xiv community wouldn't also have a segment that is in favor of private servers is foolish. There are many players who would like to go back to the complexity of Heavensward job design or discover 1.16 for the first time. Every mmo that has existed would have people that want to try to relive their glory days if they could.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-02-26 12:46:14
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Age. They C&D'd XI servers, when it was fresh, too.

Darkstar, I think? Maybe the one before that? It's been a long damn time.

Darkstar was the project of reverse engineering the XI server code, which was indeed subject to a C&D which stopped development.

That same code is still out there and being used for these private servers, just the original developers are no longer reverse engineering anything new.

Hence why nothing except what those developers wrote works and why private servers are stuck in that era.

I'd wager if enough attention is brought to prolific private servers that are seen to be competing with the original product, SE would take an interest in that.

Say, if prominent streamers start advertising and pushing people onto them instead of the sold game.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-02-26 12:53:27
Link | Citer | R

Unless the C&D comes from a legal entity, it is just a bully tactic to ask people to stop what they're doing or they'll press charges. Most people dont want to go against a multi-billion dollar company in court, so they fold because its not smart financially.

But lets say they dont comply with the C&D. Would SE want to incur the legal costs of taking a non-profit FFXI server to court for copyright law? SE isnt exactly in a happy place financially. The stocks dont show it because of all assets has SE sold off in the last few years, and I dont believe such a court case would be a slam dunk.
By Dodik 2023-02-26 12:57:23
Link | Citer | R

Well private servers are a bit of a grey area. Reverse engineering itself is illegal in most countries, unfortunately as there are uses for it, which was why the original C&D had merit.

But private servers themselves? Who knows, will have to be taken to court.
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-02-26 15:10:36
Link | Citer | R

Rinuko said: »
Soulsborne is awesome. I love fromsoft games.
I haven't played any of them yet!
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-02-26 15:14:43
Link | Citer | R

Anyone know if Simon's Quest is available on PS5?
By CrAZYVIC 2023-02-26 17:47:45
Link | Citer | R

Square Enix can do many things legally.

1.- By aggressive-legal route: Square Enix launch a lawsuit against Horizon tomorrow. Aerec only needs to move the server to RUSSIA/FRANCE, so it will take the company 4-5 years to shut down the server spending a lot of money on lawsuits.

Suppose that Horizon closes tomorrow the 5000 people from that server move to WINGS, EDEN or NASOMI. If the company launch individual lawsuits against each of them and closes them all within a few months, there will be another one with better legal advice to make it x10 times more complicated to close them.

With hostility, aggressiveness, fighting, nothing is solved, retail has to improve and work hard for its public if it wants it back.

2.- By the peaceful way: Square enix talks with aerec they welcome the horizon server as FFXI-CLASSIC official, they hire Aerec's dev-team. The money they were going to spend on the lawsuits, they invest it to have the infrastructure of an official server.

Square enix increases the monthly fee to have access to Retail/Classic by 18 USD, and sells you separately for retail/classic wardrobes to monetize and recover the investment.

Square enix could use all the "Code" it has on horizon to create 3-4 classic servers

For me the second option would be the most intelligent, it would totally end the "classic" private servers in the most peaceful way possible and Draylo would stop having epipletic seizures every time someone says FFXI-CLASSIC.

Kylos is 100% right, the more "Hate" they throw at horizon, the more publicity they do, the more curiosity they arouse in people.

Im done before rocks come to close the topic again.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-26 22:07:45
Link | Citer | R

No he isn't right, the server has its own millionaire throwing money at ads. They don't need a couple of ppl on a low traffic forum to drum up publicity lol. Just do a simple "FFXI" search on youtube and nothing but the sponsored videos show up for that server. Just think for a second, how is it possible that this is literally the only private server in existence to gain and maintain over 1k players? 4k players 3 months after launch now on a game 20 years old, using an inferior copy of an era thats filled with bugs and that literally took ages just to walk from point A to B. With all the gamers with ADHD these days they are streaming themselves hitting rabbits for 7 hours. I just don't get how people don't see how obvious this is. You don't need a tin foil hat lol.

This honestly reminds me of debates I used to have over RE3 Remake. Nostalgia goggles are such a hindrance, you can't even debate people because they will honestly 100% feel they are right because of it.

Also lol @#2, they would never in a million years do that to appease some neckbeards. They barely care about this game, thats the issue here. Nothing any of us can do will really change that, but as more quit and are persuaded away to other servers it will only make them see this game as a loss and cancel it. That guy should instead throw his millions of dollars at retail and help it get another expansion to rejuvenate the game. Him supporting private servers does nothing for FFXI overall, hes even threatening his own source for assets they use in private servers. All of that is created by the real FFXI devs, and when they are gone they will have nothing. Have yet to see those server create new things.

In reality these people are doing nothing but hurting retail. I love how random dummies who quit every other month come into the thread and say "WHO CARE, let them have fun! I'll just come back to retail when I want to have fun again." They don't even realize that eventually they won't be able to return for the 50th time after they quit because the game won't even be there anymore.

The vast majority of XI players do not want a classic server. This is easily proven when you compare the numbers of people actually paying to play this game vs the freeloaders on private servers not paying a single dime. SE has people willing to give them money for current retail, since Abyssea. They are just so dumb and don't want to invest more into XI to keep it healthy.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9