Lightsaber!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Diabolos.Gira
Serveur: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-28 13:25:00
Link | Citer | R

And this is why technology should have stopped at the iPod...

I'm sorry... What societal gain is there in a blinding/burning lazer that can be bought by anyone with a Jedi fetish?
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
Serveur: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-06-28 16:21:29
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Washburn said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
In b4 some idiot teenager flashes a high school arena and causes Blindga.

Scholars... Blindga... not just some sick coincidence, is it?

Wash you're a *** Jedi

What's up :D
 Leviathan.Darkmod
Serveur: Leviathan
user: darkmod
By Leviathan.Darkmod 2010-06-28 18:29:39
Link | Citer | R

I bought one... Lol. I'll post pics in 2-3 days :)
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-06-28 18:50:47
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:

I'm sorry... What societal gain is there in a blinding/burning lazer that can be bought by anyone with a Jedi fetish?

Yes. This. Because you don't like something, or can't handle the responsibility, or can't see the reason for it, I suppose we all should just forget about it. Right?

You are sorry, though, you've got that right. I would be sorry, too, if I lived a sheltered, closed-minded, judgmental, and utterly scared of everything life.

/troll feeding

Edit: No forget that. I am not done. You can't see the societal value? How about instead of spouting off your instant, if uninformed reaction, you look at something in a different light, or actually DO something to see another person's point of view? Couple of things...

1. Yeah, it looks cool. Kinda like a lightsaber. Guess what? It isn't. It's as much a part of some Star Wars world as you are. And I would go so far as to say that a Final Fantasy forum isn't really the most intelligent place to denigrate fans of any kind of fiction.

2. Link Obvious place to start learning something.

3. Another Link

4. Third Link

This is just right of the top of my head. Try to live life a little bit.

inb4 "umad"
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-06-28 19:00:36
Link | Citer | R

Imo this is the equivalent of allowing assault rifles to be held by civilians. This is not a one-shot beam. It is capable of crippling an entire room within seconds.

There is no practical use of this item other than a weapon.
[+]
 Sylph.Shaman
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Shaman 2010-06-28 19:02:49
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:
Imo this is the equivalent of allowing assault rifles to be held by civilians. This is not a one-shot beam. It is capable of crippling an entire room within seconds.

Sold.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-06-28 19:10:18
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:

And to think I wanted to get out of this topic....

What do you mean "assault rifles?" Because the legal definition, in many cases, is pretty ambiguous. Accessories such as a flashlight can transform a regular rifle into your feared "assault rifle."

From a practical perspective - which I do have - If I were looking to use a firearm to hurt/kill someone on an average day, I would likely steer clear of an "assault rifle." I be much more likely to cause harm with something less conspicuous and easily employed. (Not that those weapons don't have their uses.)

The fact of the matter is that the rifle I use for legal, responsible hunting will kill you EXACTLY as dead as an Ak-47 or whatever the news tells you is "bad."

A baseball bat can also kill you.
A car can also kill you.
A bear can also kill you.
A knife can also kill you. (In many cases, knives are more deadly than guns when used against another person.)
A rope can kill you.
A motherfucking candlestick in the study can kill you.
A motivated, angry, but completely naked person can easily kill you.

Get a *** clue.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-28 19:17:24
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:

With that wish you just killed the Iphone. bad bad.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-28 19:19:44
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Artyom said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
I'd buy this and burn the *** wasps, bees and bumblebees that keep flying into my room.
I ordered the laser today and this is exactly one of hte things I'm gonna do, that and ants, a ton of sugar ants. Those *** will regret the day they invaded my home!

Thank god for the laser shades they give you with them.

I have little butterflyes in caterpillers, the ones that look like diamonds.... yeah those :/ they are annoying little *** walking on the walls.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-28 19:22:11
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Darki said:
Diabolos.Gira said:

I sowwie ;; I didn't knoooowwwww!!! Wait, my iTouch is still here!!! YAY!
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-28 19:25:02
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Diabolos.Gira said:

I sowwie ;; I didn't knoooowwwww!!! Wait, my iTouch is still here!!! YAY!

zunefag and iphonefag here.

Technology is good, it's the humans that try to control it what aren't.
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-06-29 14:20:38
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:
Fairy.Maimed said:

And to think I wanted to get out of this topic....

What do you mean "assault rifles?" Because the legal definition, in many cases, is pretty ambiguous. Accessories such as a flashlight can transform a regular rifle into your feared "assault rifle."

From a practical perspective - which I do have - If I were looking to use a firearm to hurt/kill someone on an average day, I would likely steer clear of an "assault rifle." I be much more likely to cause harm with something less conspicuous and easily employed. (Not that those weapons don't have their uses.)

The fact of the matter is that the rifle I use for legal, responsible hunting will kill you EXACTLY as dead as an Ak-47 or whatever the news tells you is "bad."

A baseball bat can also kill you.
A car can also kill you.
A bear can also kill you.
A knife can also kill you. (In many cases, knives are more deadly than guns when used against another person.)
A rope can kill you.
A motherfucking candlestick in the study can kill you.
A motivated, angry, but completely naked person can easily kill you.

Get a *** clue.

lolz @ nerd rage.

My point is, this device is more capable of causing mass havoc than standard small arms.

Btw, bears can't kill me cuz I am one... on WOW. Oh ***son, I referenced lolcraft. Get over yourself.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-06-29 15:24:37
Link | Citer | R

While I agree with Terminus for the most part.. I'm not entirely sure what the point of the rant was? This is a dangerous weapon case-in-point. I didn't see many people here being serious about doing harm to anything or anyone.. Well... Minus Jaerik wanting to scare off a few skunks, and whoever wanted to burn wasps to a crisp in their own room instead of buying a screen. lmao But really, take a chill pill. As long as whoever buys one of these lasers is careful and takes all precautions (I know not everyone will), then hopefully there will not be any real damage caused.

Also I would think that something fairly large scale and newsworthy would have to happen with this product or something similar, for any laws to be changed or passed having to do with them.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-29 15:31:39
Link | Citer | R

Incidentally, regular civilians can own assault rifles. The ban expired in 2004.

Anyone freaking out over a little laser but who's fine with 15 year old Jimmy from next door owning an AR-15, (and he can), needs to be rethinking some priorities.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-06-29 15:33:05
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Incidentally, regular civilians can own assault rifles. The ban expired in 2004.

Anyone freaking out over a little laser but who's fine with 15 year old Jimmy from next door owning an AR-15, (and he can), needs to be rethinking some priorities.

That's *** scary. Not sure how a device clearly made/designed with the intent to take down many people within a short period of time can be allowed into the open public.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-06-29 15:35:06
Link | Citer | R

I hope I'm not the only one who also things that "peacefully protesting" the right to bear arms while carrying assault rifles with you kinda undermines the point of peacefully protesting?
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-29 17:46:47
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I never said I liked gun policy, and I was already well aware of this.

I can still not like the idea of little Jimmy now having a laser too. Thread wasn't about guns; off topic. They're just another example of poorly regulated weapons.

Again I just have to ask "what is the societal gain from this laser?"
 Cerberus.Feroxs
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Shuri
By Cerberus.Feroxs 2010-06-30 08:42:03
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Taxero said:
Finally I'll have frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads !

lol'd
 Siren.Stunx
Serveur: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2010-06-30 08:51:12
Link | Citer | R

on the gun thing, isnt there some law against those guns mentioned where they cannot be automatic?
 Siren.Krystale
Serveur: Siren
user: vaness
By Siren.Krystale 2010-06-30 09:01:53
Link | Citer | R

OMFG
 Lakshmi.Wardens
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-06-30 09:20:02
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I never said I liked gun policy, and I was already well aware of this.

I can still not like the idea of little Jimmy now having a laser too. Thread wasn't about guns; off topic. They're just another example of poorly regulated weapons.

Again I just have to ask "what is the societal gain from this laser?"

I'm not exactly sure what kind of societal gain there is from most weapons? Aside for the user intending to use that weapon for some offensive or defensive purpose.. Or hunting... Is your point that this laser is extremely dangerous because it can accidently bounce of surfaces to hurt unintended targets, be concealed because it is not a known threat such as a gun, and be used to hurt perhaps multiple people in a short time? I'm really trying to figure out where you're coming from with this.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-30 10:11:14
Link | Citer | R

Terminus, I'm assuming with all that research you did, you must have forgotten to read the warning page that's on the actual site selling the damn things. I don't know about death, but these can and will permanently blind you. From just a quick, accidental flash in the eyes. The constant beam means you could potentially blind a whole crowd of people in a matter of seconds, yet they're apparently perfectly legal for anyone to own and take with them wherever they like?

In fact, did you even look at those links you posted yourself? There's no relevance. The hobbyist one mostly links to, as Jaerik mentioned in his OP, 1-5 mW lasers for graphics and laser shows, which can be dangerous, yet this is 1000x that amount.

The second one mostly links to what happens when a doctor *** up with a surgical laser, and the third one, I have no idea what that's supposed to be about?

I don't understand why you're so adamantly defending something that you yourself obviously know very little about.
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-06-30 13:53:00
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Blazza said:
Terminus, I'm assuming with all that research you did, you must have forgotten to read the warning page that's on the actual site selling the damn things. I don't know about death, but these can and will permanently blind you. From just a quick, accidental flash in the eyes. The constant beam means you could potentially blind a whole crowd of people in a matter of seconds, yet they're apparently perfectly legal for anyone to own and take with them wherever they like?

In fact, did you even look at those links you posted yourself? There's no relevance. The hobbyist one mostly links to, as Jaerik mentioned in his OP, 1-5 mW lasers for graphics and laser shows, which can be dangerous, yet this is 1000x that amount.

The second one mostly links to what happens when a doctor *** up with a surgical laser, and the third one, I have no idea what that's supposed to be about?

I don't understand why you're so adamantly defending something that you yourself obviously know very little about.

^
By semimmortal 2010-06-30 21:39:23
Link | Citer | R

http://gizmodo.com/5576742/lucasfilm-thinks-the-spyder-iii-arctic-laser-is-a-little-too-much-like-a-real-lightsaber

El Oooooooh El.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-30 21:51:27
Link | Citer | R

I have a feeling this thing will be illegal real quick-like.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-06-30 21:52:09
Link | Citer | R

Still want one!!
 Lakshmi.Malicious
user: Malicious
By Lakshmi.Malicious 2010-07-06 14:39:26
Link | Citer | R

Safety not the main concern.....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/06/light.saber.lucas/index.html?hpt=C2
 Shiva.Phioness
Serveur: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2010-07-06 14:40:10
Link | Citer | R

Okay who has one, and how cool is it? I've been waiting for one of the Star Wars fans from this site to go Darth Vader on someone or something's *** and post a youtube video!!! The masses must be appeased!!!
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-08-04 01:08:14
Link | Citer | R

http://techland.com/2010/08/03/lucasfilm-drops-lightsaber-lawsuit/

See what you started Jaerik!! lol
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-04 01:33:36
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:

i hate you