Lightsaber!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
Serveur: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-06-12 05:12:19
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
Oh my god the uses... I'd take this thing with me everywhere I go. Cut my *** off while I'm driving?! ***! *Zap!* Talk on your cellphone while in a movie theater. *** you! *Zap!* Panhandler begging for change on the road. Not today freeloader! *Zap!* Look prettier than my wife! Looks like you're about to get with the ugly stick! *Zap!* Oh the uses.

SO MANY ACTIVITIES !
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-12 07:49:07
Link | Citer | R

I'd probably aim it a can of hairspray or something.. You know even though I have a pretty good idea of what's gonna happen, sometimes you gotta do ***and see it for yourself.

The only practical thing I can think of it for a use is lighting up the grill, or if you got one of those old gas heaters that flare up and burn the hair off your hand when you go to light it..

I'd probably see if I could cook a piece of chicken or a steak with it or something too.. Just to see if over extended periods of time it actually could be used to do that (although somehow I doubt it, you'd probably just burn the outside and the inside would still be bloody)
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-06-12 07:53:25
Link | Citer | R

fffffff.

bought.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-06-12 08:21:32
Link | Citer | R

OK... every can and should laugh it up.

But absolutely *** you, your family, and your disgusting children if any piece of ***thinks this is something to be used to keep cats and dogs of your cars or lawns or whatever. If you think it is, then PLEASE also be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE enough to youtube that ***, so people can figure out who you are and where you live.

K. Laughy time again, *** sickos!
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-12 09:14:08
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:

But absolutely *** you, your family, and your disgusting children if any piece of ***thinks this is something to be used to keep cats and dogs of your cars or lawns or whatever. If you think it is, then PLEASE also be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE enough to youtube that ***, so people can figure out who you are and where you live.

Your Troll-dar must not be working today..
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-06-12 09:25:26
Link | Citer | R

I see really bad things happening with that.

... But that's some awesome stuff anyway. :D
By Kithkin 2010-06-12 09:26:06
Link | Citer | R

Lightsaber in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zd_khk6zXo&feature=player_embedded
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-06-12 09:46:52
Link | Citer | R

It says it may cause cancers :/ . Can someone exactly explain to me is it even *** safe to look at the beam . I wan't one but seriously there is so many dangers associated with it . I've seen people on youtube using like 500mW ones and theyre fine except for touching them of course .
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-12 10:33:09
Link | Citer | R

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwshit!

I'm gonna be the best lightsaber wielder there ever was!
 Bahamut.Xslayrx
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Xslayrx
By Bahamut.Xslayrx 2010-06-12 11:15:12
Link | Citer | R

Now im scared to laugh at people that walk around with lightsabers attached to their belt... D:
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-06-12 11:34:20
Link | Citer | R

I think I read something like lasers over 3mw are not allowed in the U.S. or some ***? Real *** bummer there. This thing is 1w

Whys Japan get them? Theres gonna be Lightsaber Samurais now D:
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-06-12 11:36:22
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:

Also *** you for playing a game that slaughters poor innocent bunnies and birds. *** sicko god damn!
[+]
 Fenrir.Arianna
user: arianna
By Fenrir.Arianna 2010-06-12 12:22:40
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
As for how long before it's illegal, I give it 6-9 months, just maybe a year.

It's actually (supposedly) perfectly legal right now. It complies with the FDA's policies about lasers over a certain wattage.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/FDA_compliance_policy.html

http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/minilock.html

That is of course just using what they say on their site; I haven't done any research on other sources.

And to your point, since the power of this thing absolutely outclasses any other laser that is so cheaply available, it probably will be the cause for some new law to be made outlawing it. Either way, I still want one :D
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-06-12 12:27:23
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-12 12:35:56
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Arianna said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
As for how long before it's illegal, I give it 6-9 months, just maybe a year.

It's actually (supposedly) perfectly legal right now. It complies with the FDA's policies about lasers over a certain wattage.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/FDA_compliance_policy.html

http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/minilock.html

That is of course just using what they say on their site; I haven't done any research on other sources.

And to your point, since the power of this thing absolutely outclasses any other laser that is so cheaply available, it probably will be the cause for some new law to be made outlawing it. Either way, I still want one :D

That's what he (and then me) was referring to.. Of course it's legal now, but wait til some rich kids get their parents to buy them one (and it WILL happen, just watch) and blinds himself or scars up his face, or someone else's.. THEN watch when a few more incidents pop up.. States will start illegalizing them.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-06-12 12:58:53
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Ok Dumbass with a blue laser PPK.... At the end of vid.. stupid guy keeps pointing laser near lens of camera....

Some ppl just do stupid things, and what makes it better, guy keeps waving it infront of camera and realizes oh might burn a hole in lens.. or wreck the camera... better not do that....(sigh)..(facepalm)

Somewhere a village is crying for their idiot!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-12 14:06:35
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Machiaveli said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Oh my god the uses... I'd take this thing with me everywhere I go. Cut my *** off while I'm driving?! ***! *Zap!* Talk on your cellphone while in a movie theater. *** you! *Zap!* Panhandler begging for change on the road. Not today freeloader! *Zap!* Look prettier than my wife! Looks like you're about to get with the ugly stick! *Zap!* Oh the uses.
SO MANY ACTIVITIES !
I so heard this in my head like they did on Step Brothers. I can also see it ending as badly probably worse
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-12 16:11:53
Link | Citer | R

The site was unresponsive the entire first day they were mentioned on Gizmodo, Engadget, etc. I assume they had a massive rush of orders (including mine), yet they still say "In Stock."

I find that a little hard to believe. How many Casio projectors could they possibly have on hand to dismantle?

Guess we'll see. I'll post a video or something if it ever shows up. Provided I haven't accidentally killed myself already.

As for the whole dog/cat/lawn thing, I actually intend to use it on a few skunks that have been digging up my ground cover around twilight every night. I don't want to buy a gun and kill them, 'cuz they're pretty cute and haven't really done anything wrong per say. I don't wanna poison them, 'cuz I have cats. And I sure as hell can't trap and catch them. (They're friggin' skunks.)

But if I can singe some of the hairs off their back at a distance without doing permanent damage? Maybe that's actually the most humane way to convince them to go elsewhere. 'course I may just ignite one of them, in which case I'll feel bad.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-06-12 16:21:07
Link | Citer | R

long range laser stink gland removal!
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-12 16:27:05
Link | Citer | R

Jaerik, you'll most likely feel even worse when the skunk runs under your house while on fire...
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-06-12 16:31:32
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
long range laser stink gland removal!

Yeah he has a point. Robotic arm and aiming program go!
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-06-12 16:33:02
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The site was unresponsive the entire first day they were mentioned on Gizmodo, Engadget, etc. I assume they had a massive rush of orders (including mine), yet they still say "In Stock."

I find that a little hard to believe. How many Casio projectors could they possibly have on hand to dismantle?

Guess we'll see. I'll post a video or something if it ever shows up. Provided I haven't accidentally killed myself already.

As for the whole dog/cat/lawn thing, I actually intend to use it on a few skunks that have been digging up my ground cover around twilight every night. I don't want to buy a gun and kill them, 'cuz they're pretty cute and haven't really done anything wrong per say. I don't wanna poison them, 'cuz I have cats. And I sure as hell can't trap and catch them. (They're friggin' skunks.)

But if I can singe some of the hairs off their back at a distance without doing permanent damage? Maybe that's actually the most humane way to convince them to go elsewhere. 'course I may just ignite one of them, in which case I'll feel bad.

Jaerik no one answered me yet can you explain it to me is it ok to even look at the beam while using this thing . I mean obviously not pointing it directly at your eyes but can you look on it lol ? It says this thing can cause cancers and vision damage but I don't really understand all that stuff .
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-06-12 16:47:34
Link | Citer | R

I'll know what happened when the next wildfire consumes southern California. I can imagine the headlines, "Man tried to ward off skunks with high powered laser."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-12 17:11:33
Link | Citer | R

Jaerik no one answered me yet can you explain it to me is it ok to even look at the beam while using this thing . I mean obviously not pointing it directly at your eyes but can you look on it lol ? It says this thing can cause cancers and vision damage but I don't really understand all that stuff .

The point of a laser is that all of the light waves/photons are in phase with one another. Like the waves that occur when you drop a pebble in water, light has a natural tendency to want to spread out. Take a flashlight: as soon as the beam leaves the end, it immediately starts to spread, getting weaker with distance.

Lasers don't do that. The waves are in phase, so the energy doesn't spread out and dissipate. That means all of the energy from the source is transferred to the target in the same tiny area. However, that also means there are no sideways beams to reach your eye -- the beam itself is invisible until it touches something. (Unlike what you see in movies.) When it touches something, part of the beam is scattered back at your eye, so you see the "dot" on the target, but that's it.

If you operate a laser in fog, or smoke, or somewhere else where there are particles in the air to scatter the light on the way to the target, you will see the "beam," but that's it. And that means part of the energy is being absorbed and deflected by the particles in the air, so the laser is running at reduced efficiency.

The warnings on this one are about diffuse or scattering of the beam. For instance, the beam will reflect off glass, metal, plastic, ceramic, etc, in ways that can be unpredictable, blinding or burning you even if it was never aimed at you directly. Kinda like "light shrapnel," in a way. Being anywhere within line of sight of the "dot" is dangerous.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-06-12 17:23:39
Link | Citer | R

If you can see the color of the laser, that means that parts of it are hitting your eyes, even if it's only very small bits. The issue is, can the small amount cause permanent damage? Is long term damage from exposure to indirect light from a high power laser accumulating? I wouldn't risk it, I dunno about you guys... But I use my eyes far too much.

I would not trust anyone outside of a secured lab with something like this, and probably only half of the lab employees. Something that you could cause permanent damage from hundreds of feet away, start fires, ignite random flammable things from far away and then selling them to anyone with 200 bucks to blow = very very bad.

Also someone asked if they came in different colors, my guess would be no as I'm pretty sure the color of the laser comes from the components that create that frequency of laser. As with real light, lasers are more powerful(higher frequency and smaller base diameter of beam) as you go across the light spectrum. Starting with red which is the longest wave length making it the weakest in regards to energy, all the way to our current best blue. If we had a 1W violet laser...

If I'm wrong on any of this stuff feel free to correct, just what I'm able to recall from random tidbits I've learned over the years.
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-06-12 17:50:49
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

The point of a laser is that all of the light waves/photons are in phase with one another. Light, like say... the waves that occur when you drop a pebble in water, has a natural tendency to want to spread out. Take a flashlight: as soon as the beam leaves, it immediately starts to spread, getting weaker with distance.

Lasers don't do that. The waves are in phase, so the energy doesn't spread out and dissipate. That means all of the energy from the source is transferred to the target in the same tiny area. However, that also means there are no sideways beams to reach your eye -- the beam itself is invisible until it touches something. (Unlike what you see in movies.) When it touches something, part of the beam is scattered back at your eye, so you see the "dot" on the target, but that's it.

If you operate a laser in fog, or smoke, or somewhere else where there are particles in the air to scatter the light on the way to the target, you will see the "beam," but that's it. And that means part of the energy is being absorbed and deflected by the particles in the air, so the laser is running at reduced efficiency.

The warnings on this one are about diffuse or scattering of the beam. For instance, the beam will reflect off glass, metal, plastic, ceramic, etc, in ways that can be unpredictable, blinding or burning you even if it was never aimed at you directly. Kinda like "light shrapnel," in a way. Being anywhere within line of sight of the "dot" is dangerous.

Thanks man . I'm still not 100% sure if I should get this . Seems like such an awesome thing and it's dirt cheap but the risks are too big . If my wife knew I'm even thinking about this she would bash me with a freakin frying pan .
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-12 17:55:27
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
If you can see the color of the laser, that means that parts of it are hitting your eyes, even if it's only very small bits. The issue is, can the small amount cause permanent damage? Is long term damage from exposure to indirect light from a high power laser accumulating? I wouldn't risk it, I dunno about you guys... But I use my eyes far too much.

I would not trust anyone outside of a secured lab with something like this, and probably only half of the lab employees. Something that you could cause permanent damage from hundreds of feet away, start fires, ignite random flammable things from far away and then selling them to anyone with 200 bucks to blow = very very bad.

Also someone asked if they came in different colors, my guess would be no as I'm pretty sure the color of the laser comes from the components that create that frequency of laser. As with real light, lasers are more powerful(higher frequency and smaller base diameter of beam) as you go across the light spectrum. Starting with red which is the longest wave length making it the weakest in regards to energy, all the way to our current best blue. If we had a 1W violet laser...

If I'm wrong on any of this stuff feel free to correct, just what I'm able to recall from random tidbits I've learned over the years.

Wait... so even seeing the dot is dangerous?
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-06-12 17:58:07
Link | Citer | R

@akeda/dracondria

that doesn't make this less dangerous. the thing about guns too is that they're recognized dangers. people understand and respond appropriately to guns. also they require registration, safety courses, etc. this is just something you can make wilnil or buy for cheap. people aren't caught-up on the dangers of a laser like this.

i wonder if it's already illegal to disassemble one of these laser diodes.

kids are really stupid. really really stupid. not much we can do about that. but that doesn't mean we fan the flame.

though, it's not like the anarchist's cook book wasn't around when i was a kid. but the internet just makes it that much easier to find dangerous ***though.

Pandemonium.Machiaveli
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-06-12 17:59:20
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

Wait... so even seeing the dot is dangerous?

Still want to buy it :/ ?
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-06-12 18:01:21
Link | Citer | R

@dracondria

go to the site and read the entire safety instruction. it's very long and shows how nasty this thing is.