First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Phoenix.Destrac
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2010-06-12 18:11:30
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
If you can see the color of the laser, that means that parts of it are hitting your eyes, even if it's only very small bits. The issue is, can the small amount cause permanent damage? Is long term damage from exposure to indirect light from a high power laser accumulating? I wouldn't risk it, I dunno about you guys... But I use my eyes far too much.

It says on the site that this particular one does do long term damage if you expose your eyes to even just the diffused light (looking at the "dot"), from a close distance or for long periods.

The human retina has a safety mechanism where if excess light reaches the photoreceptor cells, they bleach out and become insensitive for a short period, preventing absorbtion of the light and preventing damage. However, this is not the case with blue colored light, in which case instead of shutting down the photoreceptors actually do the opposite and become more sensitive, absorbing the energy and becoming damaged in the process.

Excessive red and green lasers will blind you instantly and then you slowly recover (maybe), but blue laser will seem like nothing happened at first, but then your eyes will give away in a day or two (permanently).

Not just the eyes, but a laser this powerful also affects the skin, creating unusual chemical reactions and increasing risk of cancer, aside from heat burn (if you get directly hit by it or are near the "dot" where its scattering).

EDIT: read this up more. All high powered lasers can do burn damage to the eye, this is sort of like a big nuke effect if there is enough energy in the exposure.

Blue and ultraviolet lasers, due to their short wavelength, also cause photochemical damage, that is cumulative and acts over hours after exposure. Sort of like a damage-over-time effect.
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-06-12 19:59:39
Link | Citer | R

Lasers are serious business
 Remora.Gempig
Serveur: Remora
user: Gempig
By Remora.Gempig 2010-06-12 20:23:04
Link | Citer | R

I can gain a profit off of buying one of these by just shining it in a clerks eyes, and robbing them. This way they cant describe me!
 Diabolos.Torazalinto
Serveur: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Torazalinto 2010-06-12 21:35:14
Link | Citer | R

Yeah they will. They'll do a search on who bought high powered laser weapons recently in your area =P
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-06-12 22:26:38
Link | Citer | R

Remora.Gempig said:
I can gain a profit off of buying one of these by just shining it in a clerks eyes, and robbing them. This way they cant describe me!

Don't forget to shine it in the camera's eyes too and fry it too @.@

Issue with robbing anyone with a bright as *** laser is that most robberies happen at night and you can probably see that laser for a few hundred feet even indirectly as it's bouncing off things.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-12 22:30:12
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Remora.Gempig said:

Issue with robbing anyone with a bright as *** laser is that most robberies happen at night and you can probably see that laser for a few hundred feet even indirectly as it's bouncing off things.
But who is gunna associate a weird shiny light with a robbery? At least compared to sound of gunshot
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-12 23:28:13
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Machiaveli said:
Ok at first I was like *** YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IM GETTING THIS ! But after reading more about it I'm actually quite freaked out that anyone can get this ... ***can *** you up in so many ways like ...

yea seriously, the idea is cool but all it takes is one idiot to ruin someones life with one of these.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-13 02:35:52
Link | Citer | R

The thing that worries me about it, and why I think lasers may never really eclipse traditional projectiles as perfect weapons, is the reflection factor.

Yeah, shrapnel and ricochets can be a problem, but in general, when you shoot something with a bullet, you know that most of the energy and damage of the shot is gunna go into the thing you hit. Kapow!

But with a laser, if the surface is reflective, it's not so clear-cut. You hold up a "perfect" mirror, and you're completely safe. Sure, some small percent goes into you and damages the mirror, but most of it bounces right back and fries the attacker. Any 3-corner mirror could be guaranteed to bounce it back at the same angle it came in.

(Note: If you don't believe me, try it with a bouncy ball and any 3-way 90 degree corner, like the place where two walls and your roof or floor meet. If you throw it hard enough, to prevent gravity *** up the experiment, provided it bounces off all three surfaces it will always come back at you exactly the same angle you threw it. It's the same trick we use to bounce lasers off the moon 'n ***.)

That's arguably even more dangerous than a gun, assuming these things keep growing in strength. Say you're trying to hit something across a road. As you pull the trigger, a car drives by into the path of the beam. Yeah, you might hurt the driver, but that's the same as any gun.

The problem is, the laser's gunna reflect off all that car's weird *** rounded corners, maybe hit the side mirror, windows, etc, as it goes past. That'll basically reflect the beam in a hundred different directions, in ways you have no control over, taking out god only knows what -- and maybe you -- in the process.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-13 02:43:42
Link | Citer | R

A weapon of mass destruction for only $200.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-06-13 03:10:42
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Remora.Gempig said:

But who is gunna associate a weird shiny light with a robbery? At least compared to sound of gunshot

They don't have to make a direct connection but when you see a super bright blue light, most people get curious. The point is that in order to scare the cashier in to giving you the money, your going to have to show him what that thing can do, otherwise, he'll probably laugh you out of the store. With a gun, you don't have to fire for them to know it could kill them, you can flash the gun, get the money and go and few people will know about it even if they are right outside pumping gas. Flashing around a bright burning laser is going to get attention particularly if it happens to shine in random people's eyes.
 Phoenix.Jovant
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2010-06-13 03:56:11
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Akeda said:
O_o!

What exactly would you use even this for?

i have to be honest this would seem like a good "GET THE *** OFF MY PROPERTY!!" type of weapon lol, but yea there are idiots out there that would use them on poor defenseless animals. Good weapon to aim at a robber or someone who brakes into your home as well just point, aim and shoot at his/her face and its less messier then having a gun... no clean up after lmao.

edit: the higher grade lasers arnt shippable to us residents lol
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-13 05:59:10
Link | Citer | R

Lasers are already weapons, this video mentions that as of May 2004 it was able to shoot down 3 incoming mortar shells at a time, so they've had 6 years to improve upon that technology. I can't work out if this next one is actually in place or whether it's just a tech demo/proposition of how it WILL work, but I have no doubt we have the capabilities for it. It also explains how it works in detail, which is pretty interesting ***.

So 8-12 seconds from hundreds of kilometres away and the missile is toast. The straight-line distance to the horizon from the typical cruising height of a commercial plane is ~341km, so it sounds like the range is already pretty close to max (without flying higher or doing it from space, in which case the heat signatures of a rocket would probably be harder to track). As laser technology advances though, I'm sure that 8-12 second time limit will get shorter as the tracking process increases and the lasers get brighter/hotter. With this in mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this sort of thing installed on commercial flights in case of an out-break of war.

I can also see them being used offensively for a lot of things. Industry uses lasers to cut steel, in some cases even up to an inch thick or more, get something like that mounted on a plane or satelite in LEO and you have a weapon capable of doing serious, instantaneous damage. Doing that from space, taking out enemy vehicles would simply be a matter of hitting the fuel tank.

Apparently missiles travel anywhere between ~2,500km/h to ~25,000km/h. Neither of those youtube vids or anything else I've looked at gave me the answer to just how fast the ones they were shooting down were travelling, ie, whether they can shoot down the fastest ones. But, if you can use a laser to hit a target only a couple feet long travelling at 2-20 times the speed of sound from 2-300 km's away, then what CAN'T you hit.

Sorry about the rant here, but as I started looking into this I got a little fascinated by it all. I'm really not sure how accurate I am with any of this, but it looks to me like lasers as weapons are a very real possibility, even as hand-held weapons in the not too distant future (if not already).
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-13 06:36:55
Link | Citer | R

I'd buy this and burn the *** wasps, bees and bumblebees that keep flying into my room.
[+]
 Cerberus.Artyom
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Whist
By Cerberus.Artyom 2010-06-13 06:43:08
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
I'd buy this and burn the *** wasps, bees and bumblebees that keep flying into my room.
I ordered the laser today and this is exactly one of hte things I'm gonna do, that and ants, a ton of sugar ants. Those *** will regret the day they invaded my home!

Thank god for the laser shades they give you with them.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-13 06:45:08
Link | Citer | R

I'm on the second floor and they keep flying in >_> Not very nice to have closed windows in the summer lol
 Cerberus.Artyom
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Whist
By Cerberus.Artyom 2010-06-13 06:46:26
Link | Citer | R

Tell me about it, only it's the golf range I work at. They nest beneath the eaves and in the covered tee. It's basically a danger to both myself and hte customers.

:3 Finally this summer burning ***will be considered a service where I work! (As long as I keep a bucket of water nearby)
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-06-13 06:47:47
Link | Citer | R

This is oficially the best idea so far .
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-13 07:07:36
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The thing that worries me about it, and why I think lasers may never really eclipse traditional projectiles as perfect weapons, is the reflection factor.

Yeah, shrapnel and ricochets can be a problem, but in general, when you shoot something with a bullet, you know that most of the energy and damage of the shot is gunna go into the thing you hit. Kapow!

But with a laser, if the surface is reflective, it's not so clear-cut. You hold up a "perfect" mirror, and you're completely safe. Sure, some small percent goes into you and damages the mirror, but most of it bounces right back and fries the attacker. Any 3-corner mirror could be guaranteed to bounce it back at the same angle it came in.

(Note: If you don't believe me, try it with a bouncy ball and any 3-way 90 degree corner, like the place where two walls and your roof or floor meet. If you throw it hard enough, to prevent gravity *** up the experiment, provided it bounces off all three surfaces it will always come back at you exactly the same angle you threw it. It's the same trick we use to bounce lasers off the moon 'n ***.)

That's arguably even more dangerous than a gun, assuming these things keep growing in strength. Say you're trying to hit something across a road. As you pull the trigger, a car drives by into the path of the beam. Yeah, you might hurt the driver, but that's the same as any gun.

The problem is, the laser's gunna reflect off all that car's weird *** rounded corners, maybe hit the side mirror, windows, etc, as it goes past. That'll basically reflect the beam in a hundred different directions, in ways you have no control over, taking out god only knows what -- and maybe you -- in the process.

So instead of body armor, we'd have people running around with little mirror cubes all over themselves.. Because why just stop at protection, when it can be offensive as well <_< You know if they could find a way to make body armor in a way that sent the projectile right back at the shooter with the same deadly velocity, it'd already be done.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-06-13 12:09:06
Link | Citer | R

And catch your room on fire if you leave it on the wall behind said wasp. Also, I doubt those bees are going to sit still while you burn them, that is if it takes longer than a second to render them flightless. I can just imagine some guy trying to chase down a bee with a laser and frying everything in his room with zig zag patterns.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-13 12:22:00
Link | Citer | R

My neighbor bet like 50 bucks my dad couldn't cut a wasp in 2 with secateurs which he did >.> I think I'd be ok with a laser!

This is what I go through whenever I open my window:

Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-06-13 13:13:09
Link | Citer | R

Not saying it won't work, just the likeliness for collateral damage is far higher with something that doesn't have a definitive end or point.

Might I also suggest investing in a screen for the window?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-13 13:13:55
Link | Citer | R

Ya know I used to work with a laser engraver. And we frequently did reflective metal and even did shot glasses once. We had no problems as long as you didn't stare at the laser and didn't try to run the other engraver at the same time. Did that once and popped a breaker and lost power in the whole building for awhile
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-13 13:24:55
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Not saying it won't work, just the likeliness for collateral damage is far higher with something that doesn't have a definitive end or point.

Might I also suggest investing in a screen for the window?

Gonna do that but haven't gotten around to it yet lol
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-06-13 15:08:45
Link | Citer | R

My neighbor bet like 50 bucks my dad couldn't cut a wasp in 2 with secateurs pruning shears which he did >.> I think I'd be ok with a laser!

Pruning shears can't catch your house on fire if you miss though.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-13 15:14:21
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

And catch your room on fire if you leave it on the wall behind said wasp. Also, I doubt those bees are going to sit still while you burn them, that is if it takes longer than a second to render them flightless. I can just imagine some guy trying to chase down a bee with a laser and frying everything in his room with zig zag patterns.

While that is a *** hilarious thought, and my mind went there first too.. <_< I dunno where you live, but where I live once they're in the house they buzz around at the ceiling trying to go higher like retards, fall to the ground, get up try it again, and eventually give up for a few seconds (I guess from exhaustion? Do they get tired?) in a single spot, just sitting there, either hanging from the ceiling or high up on the wall.. Never fails either.

We have Red Wasps and Yellow Jackets though, two varieties you REALLY don't want to piss off, so I'd be ready to run if for some reason it didn't one shot it.

A glass and a piece of card works just as well though.. Just be quick, and in a position to run if you miss with that glass.
 Siren.Stunx
Serveur: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2010-06-13 15:39:39
Link | Citer | R

i would abuse the ***out of that.. its for the best that i dont have it.

/road rage, goodbye tire
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2010-06-28 01:32:33
Link | Citer | R

Has there been any updates yet about this, for the people that bought it?
 Fairy.Maimed
Serveur: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-06-28 13:16:50
Link | Citer | R

In b4 some idiot teenager flashes a high school arena and causes Blindga.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-28 13:18:07
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Chilzen said:
Has there been any updates yet about this, for the people that bought it?

Evidently they got several thousand orders the first day it went up for sale, so they're fairly heavily backordered.
 Sylph.Washburn
Serveur: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-06-28 13:21:16
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:
In b4 some idiot teenager flashes a high school arena and causes Blindga.

Scholars... Blindga... not just some sick coincidence, is it?