Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI News during 14 live stream
FFXI News during 14 live stream
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-07-11 15:58:19
Link | Citer | R

Every online game that has ever existed uses created accounts as their *** public facing metric, so I wouldn't really home in on that as a big "gotcha!" point honestly.

I'm not gonna bother arguing with boommerbrains about the taboo concept of "enjoying other games that aren't named Final Fantasy XI", but it is verifiable just by looking at YouTube or logging in to the game (I know, you might catch some kind of weird STD by doing that, so I'll do it for you, don't worry) that there's an actual massive influx of people signing up for and playing the game.

Honestly every time I read a post trying to explain circles around XIV's popularity, all I can think of is...

I get it, you're mad that SE decided to pay more attention to the new kid. IU would've loved if they had kept going and giving XI all of the same amounts of love. But the desires of a couple hundred thousand (being very generous) people versus many times more than that is a no brainer for any self respecting company, especially one that has been trained by decades of *** to go for the jugular when it comes to making profits.

But no level of mental gymnastics and hand waving explanations like some of the ones posted on this page the last page are going to change the fact that the game's growth is real, and you just have to suck it up and live with it.

Maybe I have a superpower. I'll call myself "I Can Enjoy Both" Man. Huh, that doesn't really roll off the tongue... guess I have to work on that.
[+]
By Seun 2021-07-11 16:04:39
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
They added new music

Just to be clear, I'm not on a crusade to vilify SE. I'm just pointing out that the reuse of assets is why SE has been able to keep XI profitable. It's also to draw distinction between what you or I would call an update and what is meant by SE themselves.

Quote:
◆FF11は20年続いていて黒字
→この先アップデートできなくなってもサーバーはずっと開けておいてもいいと思う。ユーザーにとって思い出の場所だから

I wouldn't be shocked if SE tweaked Dyna D to include Beau, Xarc and the dreamlands to further increase relic beyond +3 and expand the accessories. Also wouldn't be shocked to see ilvl Limbus to expand on AF. Yes this is additional content but since it would likely take place in the old zones, it's not new. It wouldn't fall under the 'no updates' clause above.

This is exactly what I would expect beyond the anniversary. If I'm honest, it's about all I would hope for at this point.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Serveur: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2021-07-11 16:09:02
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
Odin.Creaucent said: »
Asura.Tsm said: »
another thread where radial gets real excited about a game he doesn't even play. and no i'm not talking about ff14. this absolute muppet hasn't even played ffxi in a few years.

long post to say nothing but dump on 14 players, get a life dude.

also he admits to the mobs/armor sets being ported in the post that you spent the last hour likely crafting a response to disprove. big yikes dude

I play ffxi near every day, and outside of a 2 year break in 2015 that has been the cause since NA launch.

Also I'm not dumping on it, I'm posting truth. Which you don't like, because you want to live in the dreamworld where 14 is the king of the mmorpg universe with 25 million players.

It doesn't have 25 million players, it doesn't even have 1 and never has. Just sayin cause it's true.

They aren't keeping ff11 around because they are nice guys, they are keeping it around because ff14 doesn't make as much money as they pretend it does and they need every penny they can grab from anywhere to keep the rouse going that's it's the biggest mmorpg in the world!

Oh right yeah this under 1mil players "fact" you mention every single time XIV is brought up. Where are you getting the numbers to support these "facts" as SE has not given out active accounts numbers we only have heavily skewed player census sites that admit to not counting everyone.

FFXIV has the lodestone website that shows stats for ALL characters, plenty have scraped the active "character" numbers on there across different sites and it's always between 500k and 800k (up and down between expansions). Keep in mind this isn't even actual players, but just characters with meaningful progression on them and unlike ff11 every account gets multiple free alts.

Also, to do some math (I suck at math but lets have a go)

FFXIV has 32 JP only servers, 24 NA servers and 12 EU servers for all platforms combined. (36 western servers total).

That is a total of 68 regional servers.

To be really, really generous you could say they have 15k active players per server (they don't since even new servers cannot handle these kinds of numbers of concurrent players, but lets say they can).

15k x 68 servers = just over 1m MAX population allowance with current server tech (1020000).

If ff14 had 25? million players as they state in all the news articles, each server would have an active playerbase of 367 thousand players all online at once on a Sunday evening. That's totally impossible.

If ff14 had 5 million players, each server would have an active playerbase of 73k players. This is impossible too.

To be clear, every mmorpg is successful. Because if they were not, they would not be running. I'm just pointing out it's not the behemoth they pretend it is and the massive monetization they employ is partly to cover for the fact in financial reports that they don't have anywhere near as many players as they make out they do.

Is ff14 bigger and more profitable than ff11, of course and I should not have to point out why. It's a far more casual game, with a cash shop and sub.

TL;DR
By Bazing 2021-07-11 16:14:03
Link | Citer | R

Nobody can deny XIV being popular(exact numbers aside for now). But for some people here popular = good, while that is false.
XIV certainly has lots of good elements like music, story, graphics etc. The "endgame" side however is joke. Every Savage raid is a choreography where you learn a dance by heart, no skills required at all.
This is why XI veterans mainly dislike XIV since it is made for the "mainstream people" who wants fast gains with minimal effort and lots of shinies (buyable Mog Station crap), and why every server's Limsa zone is filled with the filthiest people on the planet.
As someone who played both I understand both sides but for XI veterans who try/play XIV the main issue is: it is far too easy for any feeling of "achievement" (as much as you can have in a game).
+
Gil is useless, I still have 750 mill on my char after buying my entire ward for FC members and buying every mount on MB for my members you can possibly waste gil on. If you farm one gearset you are done gearing like 5 jobs for the next year, you lose your house if you don't login enough (I lost both my mansions since returning to XI, not that I care anymore)
etc etc

Tl;dr: XIV has some good things going for it but alot of big nopes for XI veterans who are used to bigger challenges than "take 3 steps left, turn around, 30 seconds later face right, win".
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 16:17:22
Link | Citer | R

My original post was due to the 14 developer using what I consider crappy wording in stating 11 gets no updates, and pointing out why they probably said it that way.

14 still doesn't have millions of players tho and it's not the market leader either, I'm just sayin! If you didn't get so offended when someone pointed out factual things like this there would be no argument at all! Guess what, ff11 doesn't have 25 million players either!

Also as was said, many of us respect your games fan forums. This is a ff11 forum, us saying things about the game won't make it explode into flames and you should not be surprised if some of us are a bit rough with it. Why do you even care to the point of getting super salty about it?

If you goto a cat appreciation club and you own a cat and a dog, you should not lose your sh*t if someone says dogs are awful there.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-11 16:19:37
Link | Citer | R

"It all began with an internet argument...or so the legend says"
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-07-11 16:20:58
Link | Citer | R

Bazing said: »
Nobody can deny XIV being popular(exact numbers aside for now). But for some people here popular = good, while that is false.
XIV certainly has lots of good elements like music, story, graphics etc. The "endgame" side however is joke. Every Savage raid is a choreography where you learn a dance by heart, no skills required at all.
This is why XI veterans mainly dislike XIV since it is made for the "mainstream people" who wants fast gains with minimal effort and lots of shinies (buyable Mog Station crap), and why every server's Limsa zone is filled with the filthiest people on the planet.
As someone who played both I understand both sides but for XI veterans who try/play XIV the main issue is: it is far too easy for any feeling of "achievement" (as much as you can have in a game).
+
Gil is useless, I still have 750 mill on my char after buying my entire ward for FC members and buying every mount on MB for my members you can possibly waste gil on. If you farm one gearset you are done gearing like 5 jobs for the next year, you lose your house if you don't login enough (I lost both my mansions since returning to XI, not that I care anymore)
etc etc

Tl;dr: XIV has some good things going for it but alot of big nopes for XI veterans who are used to bigger challenges than "take 3 steps left, turn around, 30 seconds later face right, win".

Honestly the argument of "X MMO's endgame is bad because once you learn it it's done" on this board makes me chortle with delight.

I don't know what kind of galaxy brain strategies you're using for XI's endgame, but a majority of the game's fights have always boiled down to:

Throw superbuffed melees at it -> Did it work?

Yes -> do it again!

No -> Add Perfect Defense! Did it work?

Yes -> do it again!

No -> Use RNGs instead! Did it work?

Yes -> Do it again!

No -> Ok try BLMs then...! Did it work?

Yes -> do it again!

No -> Better just merc it then

"B-b-b-b-b-but there's a handful of fights where you use..."

Lol whatever. If you get to boil down one game's battle system into one big conglomeration of nonsense, so do I.

People are allowed to not enjoy the more active hotkey based combat style or action combat of other MMOs, but it is pitiful to decry them as "not good" just because you don't like it. There is clear as day evidence that more than enough people do in fact like it, making the entire argument moot to begin with.

tl;dr Not liking XIV is fine, but trying to say the game is bad, Yoshida is a villain, or other such nonsense just because the small dedicated group of diehard FFXI addicts who still frequent FFXIAH think that it's bad is hilarious, and really sad.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-11 16:24:16
Link | Citer | R

You know FFXI takes a lot of skill loads 35 add ons and plugins. Ok now how many times do I have to hit F8 to win this battle.

Starts playing FFXIV how many times do I have to hit F8 to win this battle.
[+]
By Bosworth 2021-07-11 16:26:13
Link | Citer | R

I mean....the newest mega boss for FFXI is killed in what? 60 seconds by Savage Blade spam? I consistently see the endgame players on here complaining about no challenges or anything to do.

FFXIV's fights, especially the ones designed for experienced players, are a lot more challenging than Savage Blade spamming what is supposed to be the hardest fight down in 60 seconds. Hell, I'm doing the new Boz content on ffxiv and consistently see droves of people dieing in the critical engagements.

It should be noted, I love FFXI and FFXIV both, and prefer FFXI long term and FFXIV short term. By that I mean FFXIV is a ton of fun to go back to after expansions and the major patches to do the new stuff. After I get through the new stuff, I go back to ffxi, rinse and repeat.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-07-11 16:35:43
Link | Citer | R

You can't fairly bash FFXIV in comparison to FFXI, because both are utter garbage as far as gameplay goes. FFXI sustains itself by preying on autistic collection urges, while FFXIV sustains itself by preying on people who are overly attached to their avatars and cosmetics. FFXIV is massively more popular, but it's also over a decade newer if you go by ARR release date, and much more supported. That shouldn't be surprising.

However, when people start to say FFXIV is comparable to WoW in subscriptions, depth, etc.. that is just not believable. Even the best estimates give FFXIV less than a quarter as many subscriptions, and the amount of content is worlds apart. There's an extremely visible astroturfing effort by SE, and they are commissioning an insane amount of paid articles and faux-organic advertising. This idea that FFXIV is growing in leaps and bounds isn't accurate, and trying to support it by turning FFXI into a straw man isn't convincing.
[+]
By Bazing 2021-07-11 16:36:30
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

People are allowed to not enjoy the more active hotkey based combat style or action combat of other MMOs, but it is pitiful to decry them as "not good" just because you don't like it. There is clear as day evidence that more than enough people do in fact like it, making the entire argument moot to begin with.

tl;dr Not liking XIV is fine, but trying to say the game is bad, Yoshida is a villain, or other such nonsense just because the small dedicated group of diehard FFXI addicts who still frequent FFXIAH think that it's bad is hilarious, and really sad.

Are you confusing me with another target in your XIV war lol? Please point out where exactly I said the game is bad, Yoshi P being a villain or me being a diehard addict since I've been gone from XI for a decade and I played XIV for 4 years during that time. Your hostile approach to me just posting facts - like others here - is hilarious, and really sad.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-07-11 16:41:50
Link | Citer | R

General response to the average XIV-bashing post around here, not against you personally.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
This idea that FFXIV is growing in leaps and bounds isn't accurate, and trying to support it by turning FFXI into a straw man isn't convincing.

Ignoring the fact that there's a queue to log on to almost every server during peak hours due to the influx of new players (both from marketing and WoW refugees), the fact that you can blatantly ignore every form of internet social interaction and tell me that the game isn't being discussed and leaped on by more people than ever before is questionable at best and dishonest at worst, unless you believe that it's all a conspiracy using hundreds if not thousands of paid actors to do nothing more than... uh... sell more copies of the game? Huh...

I'm not really sure what you consider to be "astroturfing" in this case.

I'd be very interested in hearing some examples.

Quote:
and the amount of content is worlds apart.

I'm not going to respond to every part of your post but this is an outright lie and anyone who has played WoW in the last 2-4 years can tell you that.
[+]
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
Serveur: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2021-07-11 16:47:04
Link | Citer | R

I mean all this ***boils down to is jealousy. I am as guilty as anyone on these forums. Played this game from almost launch and to see the "other game" get more, better almost everything, content-wise or not, it flat out sucks. Hell, even the devs/community reps appear to listen to the NA folks. At the end of the day there are really only 2 options: quit or enjoy the time that I still do have.
[+]
By Bosworth 2021-07-11 16:51:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
However, when people start to say FFXIV is comparable to WoW in subscriptions, depth, etc.. that is just not believable. Even the best estimates give FFXIV less than a quarter as many subscriptions, and the amount of content is worlds apart. There's an extremely visible astroturfing effort by SE, and they are commissioning an insane amount of paid articles and faux-organic advertising. This idea that FFXIV is growing in leaps and bounds isn't accurate, and trying to support it by turning FFXI into a straw man isn't convincing.

We have no clue how close WoW and FFXIV are in subscriptions, neither company releases those numbers, and any estimates the regular players make are wild guesses at best.

Saying FFXIV isn't growing is just nonsense. Each expansion raises the amount of *total* players by millions. Yes, I'm completely aware not all of the stay active players. It doesn't change the fact that FFXIV is huge, and is growing noticeably. The FFXIV devs are on record saying as long as the game continues to grow, they won't give FFXIV the FFXI treatment and cease development on it.

There are also droves of WoW players moving to FFXIV. I've never been a huge WoW player, but I've seen tons of videos of WoW veterans doing nothing but shitting on WoW's last few expansions. Go watch Asmongold's videos (btw, he's on ffxiv now last I heard). It's truly hysterical listening to WoW players ***all over their game and move to ffxiv.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
Serveur: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-11 16:54:48
Link | Citer | R

Freehugs said: »
"I Can Enjoy Both" Man
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) oh my

By joemamma 2021-07-11 16:58:56
Link | Citer | R

FFXI player I'm not your friend, buddy!
XIV I'm not your buddy, guy!
FFXI He's not your guy, friend!
XIV I'm not your friend, buddy!
FFXI We're not your buddies guy!
XIV I'm not your guy, friend!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:02:06
Link | Citer | R

I don't think Yoshida is a super villian, he is incredibly over rated by the ff14 community though. Stop idolizing the guy.

Literally all he did was copy stuff from wow and other games and monetize the bejesus out of his playerbase. This is what he did, I get why Square love him but the players are out of their mind.

What has he done that's unique and groundbreaking exactly? Show me how he is on par with Kojima, Hidetaka Miyazaki or Yoko Taro to be worthy of such worship.
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:02:52
Link | Citer | R

Bosworth said: »
Saying FFXIV isn't growing is just nonsense.

How can a game grow without constantly adding new servers?

Or are you saying it's a good that thing that almost everyone that joins the game quits in a short amount of time, so they never need to add any new servers.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-07-11 17:04:34
Link | Citer | R

News flash, they've added new server hardware with every single expansion launch including two new data centers, and just announced that they're adding more again to keep up with the number of new players.

If you don't even know that then I have to wonder how concrete your other information can really be! Hm...

Not gonna do the Yoshida thing again because, as usual, there will be no amount of logic nor evidence that can change your mind. I'll just leave you with the fact that if Yoshida hadn't taken over the MMO division at SE, XI would probably be on even more life support than it is now and would have followed the original plan of ending support in 2015. Let that one marinate for a bit.
[+]
By Bosworth 2021-07-11 17:06:16
Link | Citer | R

He took a game that was a financial disaster on the brink of bankrupting SE and made it one of the most successful MMOs in history. We get it, you hate everything FFXIV related. But seriously, get over it
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:08:51
Link | Citer | R

News flash, they've added new server hardware with every single expansion launch and just announced that they're adding more again to keep up with the number of new players.

If you don't even know that then I have to wonder how concrete your other information can really be! Hm...

What you're doing is called mental gymnastics, if any of us tried to do what you're doing in relation to FFXI you would rightly say we are full of it.

You're full of it.

It's not growing at all, it has an incredibly high churn rate where most people who try it quit soon after. This is why they never have to add more servers.

Again, 14 has the lodestones that shows all characters and even based on character numbers it's not growing and the numbers go up and down between 500 to 800k players between expansions. They go up when an expansion is released and slowly start dropping to the lower amounts and this repeats over and over.

You don't like this because it goes against your world domination narrative, it's a fairy story.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:10:06
Link | Citer | R

He took a game that was a financial disaster on the brink of bankrupting SE and made it one of the most successful MMOs in history. We get it, you hate everything FFXIV related. But seriously, get over it

He copied wow and mega monetized your bank account, that's what I said.

What other games has he made?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-07-11 17:10:59
Link | Citer | R

News flash, they've added new server hardware with every single expansion launch and just announced that they're adding more again to keep up with the number of new players.

What you're doing is called mental gymnastics, if any of us tried to do what you're doing in relation to FFXI you would rightly say we are full of it.

You're full of it.

It's not growing at all, it has an incredibly high churn rate where most people who try it quit soon after. This is why they never have to add more servers.

Again, 14 has the lodestones that shows all characters and even based on character numbers it's not growing and the numbers go up and down between 500 to 800k players between expansions. They go up when an expansion is released and slowly start dropping to the lower amounts and this repeats over and over.

You don't like this because it goes against your world domination narrative, it's a fairy story.

My guy it is absolutely, factually verifiable that they've added server hardware and added new data centers to the game. I don't know what kind of delusion you've managed to cook up in your schizo brain but you're literally trying to tell me that things that are physically verifiable never happened. Get real.

As for your Lodestone nonsense, once again you have proven that you either don't research the topic that you're arguing or you've chosen to rewrite history to your own ends because player driven lodestone census data from both Japanese and Global sources have shown nothing but growth over the last 8 years.

Try again.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:13:26
Link | Citer | R

You're full of it.

My guy it is absolutely, factually verifiable that they've added server hardware and added new data centers to the game. I don't know what kind of delusion you've managed to cook up in your schizo brain but you're literally trying to tell me that things that are physically verifiable never happened. Get real.

They have added barely any new servers in 9 years.

Not like it matters, the lodestone shows the active character numbers and they aren't growing anyway.

Leviathan.Vanfrano said: »
Odin.Creaucent said: »
Oh right yeah this under 1mil players "fact" you mention every single time XIV is brought up. Where are you getting the numbers to support these "facts" as SE has not given out active accounts numbers we only have heavily skewed player census sites that admit to not counting everyone.

LuckyBancho has perfectly acceptable and generous conditions to be counted as an active player. This is his last census back in April.
Obviously it won't count all the players subbing for 6 months and quitting before that, which are a big part of the "success".

SE will never ever give any active account numbers because they would have to admit that their game is not as successful as they pretend it is. Their ridiculous cash shop is sadly successful though. At least it's getting steady "content", unlike the real game.

Full link for those interested https://luckybancho.ldblog.jp/archives/55652337.html
By Bosworth 2021-07-11 17:18:43
Link | Citer | R

FFXI copied Everquest, but you don't care about that, because it doesn't further your hate *** for FFXIV. I don't know who hurt you, but I'll repeat the same thing I've said 3 times now, we get you don't like FFXIV, you're the minority for a reason. Get. Over. It.
 Odin.Creaucent
Serveur: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2021-07-11 17:22:19
Link | Citer | R

Played both and i can say that XIV isnt a WoW clone. I suppose theres a GCD i guess?
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:22:25
Link | Citer | R

FFXI copied Everquest, but you don't care about that, because it doesn't further your hate *** for FFXIV. I don't know who hurt you, but I'll repeat the same thing I've said 3 times now, we get you don't like FFXIV, you're the minority for a reason. Get. Over. It.

We don't idolize the developers like they gave birth to us tho, that's the point. There isn't this army of ffxi players fapping to whoever was in charge of ffxi during development.

Nobody is hurt, I'm just having a chat on a forum about a game.

Don't get so emotional.
By Bosworth 2021-07-11 17:25:51
Link | Citer | R

No one's emotional, it's just comical that you - someone who apparently has a reputation around here for constantly complaining about FFXIV in other threads - is spouting random bullcrap to anyone who will listen about a game you don't like. It's also funny you bring up being emotional when you're foaming at the mouth over SE reusing assets from FFXI in FFXIV. That's emotional.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-07-11 17:27:33
Link | Citer | R

No one's emotional, it's just comical that you - someone who apparently has a reputation around here for constantly complaining about FFXIV in other threads - is spouting random bullcrap to anyone who will listen about a game you don't like. It's also funny you bring up being emotional when you're foaming at the mouth over SE reusing assets from FFXI in FFXIV. That's emotional.

Bosworth, let me ask you this. Who hurt you bro? Are you gonna be ok?