The Afania/SimonSes Thread
 Asura.Shiraj
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-06-02 08:12:58
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Lexouritis said: »
Penis penis penis, vagina vagina vagina!

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-02 08:14:59
Link | Citer | R

Administrator
By Rooks 2020-06-02 08:17:26
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »
she pulled the trump card. Is this a checkmate?

More like a two-run triple. Maybe a field goal.

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
moderation best practices

Okay you are DEFINITELY new here

Jetackuu said: »
Topic banning or even subsection banning are relatively minor things from what I gathered on the infraction scale.

Topic bans are meant to be slaps on the wrist. Most threads don't last all that long in the grand scheme of things. Subsection bans are permanent and are a bigger deal. We've only used them a handful of times, in part because anyone who's causing that much of a ruckus isn't likely to contain their nonsense to one section, and it's better to just show them the door completely.

Seems like the rules have slowly been softened

There's a couple of factors here.

One is that the moderation team has had less time; people get busy and we haven't hired more moderators. There is also, if you can believe it, a lot less going on that actually requires a firm hand. The real troublemakers either got run off or found Jesus.

A major factor in the forum rules was also the Google AdWords compliance, and we eventually had to turn off ads for the forums to stop all the reports. You'll notice you only get ads on the non-forum pages now. (That money gets made up with GW Premium money, which goes to Scragg now.)

AS FOR THE REASON I WAS SUMMONED HERE

SimonSes: If English isn't your first language, you need to be more careful with your phrasing.

Afania: It wasn't meant in a sexual way. If I blew people up over things like "talking about e-peen contests" this place would be dead in a week.

CASE DISMISSED.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-02 08:18:32
Link | Citer | R

reading suggestions for two good people:

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-02 08:22:56
Link | Citer | R

Rooks said: »

Did you see the other thread
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-06-02 08:24:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Did you see the other thread

I'm actually super busy this morning but I'm looking around yeah
By Pantafernando 2020-06-02 08:34:19
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
reading suggestions for two good people:

My own golden rule: dont need to get obssessed with the final word. Its not like the last one saying something is the right side. And if youre sure of your positions, giving the last word to the other is a signal of benevolence instead of admitting defeat. Or just admit youre wrong when you are. This is a forum, it doesnt actually matter for 99.999% of the people.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-02 08:39:57
Link | Citer | R

moderation best practices

Okay you are DEFINITELY new here

Jetackuu said: »
Topic banning or even subsection banning are relatively minor things from what I gathered on the infraction scale.

Topic bans are meant to be slaps on the wrist. Most threads don't last all that long in the grand scheme of things. Subsection bans are permanent and are a bigger deal. We've only used them a handful of times, in part because anyone who's causing that much of a ruckus isn't likely to contain their nonsense to one section, and it's better to just show them the door completely.

Seems like the rules have slowly been softened

There's a couple of factors here.

One is that the moderation team has had less time; people get busy and we haven't hired more moderators. There is also, if you can believe it, a lot less going on that actually requires a firm hand. The real troublemakers either got run off or found Jesus.

A major factor in the forum rules was also the Google AdWords compliance, and we eventually had to turn off ads for the forums to stop all the reports. You'll notice you only get ads on the non-forum pages now. (That money gets made up with GW Premium money, which goes to Scragg now.)

AS FOR THE REASON I WAS SUMMONED HERE

SimonSes: If English isn't your first language, you need to be more careful with your phrasing.

Afania: It wasn't meant in a sexual way. If I blew people up over things like "talking about e-peen contests" this place would be dead in a week.

CASE DISMISSED.

Thanks for all of this.

Is there definition for what's acceptable and what's not now? It seems like the rules are just bent.

Like said, i don't want to name drop moderators. But there was a person a couple years ago that got banned in the monk forums for swaying off topic. Now we can do meme chains and talk about human anatomy freely.

I haven't seen him (that moderator) be active/relevant in some time though.. if that matters.

UPDATE** he wasn't a moderator sorry. He was a guide author/developer given elevated privelages. My bad...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-06-02 08:53:09
Link | Citer | R

kreek said: »
Penis is not acceptable
ur a penis
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-06-02 09:06:42
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for all of this.

Is there definition for what's acceptable and what's not now? It seems like the rules are just bent.

Like said, i don't want to name drop moderators. But there was a person a couple years ago that got banned in the monk forums for swaying off topic. Now we can do meme chains and talk about human anatomy freely.

I haven't seen him (that moderator) be active/relevant in some time though.. if that matters.

UPDATE** he wasn't a moderator sorry. He was a guide author/developer given elevated privelages. My bad...

bumping my update so its not lost in the important posts.
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-06-02 09:19:23
Link | Citer | R

Is there definition for what's acceptable and what's not now?

The official line is that the existing forum rules stand. In practice, though, obviously, things are blurred. I talked about this as it relates to the P+R section in a now-deleted thread:

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that reading them as written, over 50% of the posts in P+R break the rules. So my choices are shutting it all down, letting it all go, or selective enforcement.

The first is tempting, and the day will come when it's finally all too much, but I want to avoid that until I have no choice in the matter at all.

Letting it all go isn't an option either. A community is only as good as the worst thing you allow to go on, so we're never going to go to pure anarchy.

So, you get selective enforcement. If someone is an *** about things, they're going to get popped harder, because that's how selective enforcement works. I'm not a robot.

The best advice I have is to not be an ***. I actually don't mind if things wander off topic slightly now and then as long as people are all enjoying themselves. Obviously things like job threads/forums should stay pretty on-topic. But Chatterbox/Undead/P+R? They're forums. The header at the top of the site says "FFXI Database And Community" and I don't think you can have a real community if the lines don't get colored outside of now and then. People are messy.

So, tl,dr; let conversations flow naturally, but don't ***up job threads. Being an *** is always a fantastic way to get a timeout.

Does that clarify things for you?
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-06-02 09:23:30
Link | Citer | R

Is Odyssey a good way to make money? Is it fun?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-02 09:25:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Negan said: »
Is Odyssey a good way to make money? Is it fun?
Isn't there an Odyssey thread already? I doubt you would get a good answer here...
By Afania 2020-06-02 10:04:25
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the response, I'm aware that when Hiraishinsenna used the term in the last post, it's meant to be ego. But then when SimonSes responded, he turned it into a sexual joke or something, so ego is no longer the only meaning in that sentence. That's where I feel he crossed the line because it does feel slightly weird/uncomfortable, even if poster or other readers dont all feel the same.
By Viciouss 2020-06-02 10:04:41
Link | Citer | R

No baseball references please! They ain't gonna play this year :(

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-06-02 10:22:41
Link | Citer | R

Viciouss said: »
No baseball references please! They ain't gonna play this year :(

You're not winning another title for a century, what's the rush

People really believe there are women on the internet?

Yeah, next thing you know we'll be letting them get jobs and vote and God knows what else

Afania said: »
That's where I feel he crossed the line because it does feel slightly weird/uncomfortable, even if poster or other readers dont all feel the same.

Not an unreasonable stance. We disagree but I can see where you're coming from. SimonSes, care to answer this?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-06-02 11:41:37
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
That's where I feel he crossed the line because it does feel slightly weird/uncomfortable, even if poster or other readers don't all feel the same.

It was definitely crossing a line, gender was used in a way implying innate superiority. That being said, I think Rooks is correct in at least giving the opportunity to SimonSes to apologize for that particular remark.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-06-02 12:05:06
Link | Citer | R

Idiot Boy said: »

People really believe there are women on the internet?

Yeah, next thing you know we'll be letting them get jobs and vote and God knows what else
President of the United States

Whoa that's crazy talk, let's not go that far!
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-06-02 12:43:09
Link | Citer | R

The best advice I have is to not be an ***.

Amen Rooks.
George Carlin would be proud of that.
[+]
 Asura.Casanova
By Asura.Casanova 2020-06-02 12:48:35
Link | Citer | R

Amen
By Jetackuu 2020-06-02 13:13:50
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »
The best advice I have is to not be an ***.

Amen Rooks.
George Carlin would be proud of that.
Discrimination!
[+]
 Phoenix.Oyama
Serveur: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-06-02 13:23:33
Link | Citer | R

I'm confused, maybe it's a different post and it got deleted, but is pointing out that a woman does not have a penis some kind of offensive remark? Totally came off as an innocuous joke to me in response to someone else bringing up penis size.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-02 13:27:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Oyama said: »
I'm confused, maybe it's a different post and it got deleted, but is pointing out that a woman does not have a penis some kind of offensive remark? Totally came off as an innocuous joke to me in response to someone else bringing up penis size.
Apparently to some, yes.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-06-02 13:29:51
Link | Citer | R

XD
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-06-02 13:32:46
Link | Citer | R

is pointing out that a woman does not have a penis some kind of offensive remark? Totally came off as an innocuous joke to me in response to someone else bringing up penis size.

In this particular case it was, you have missed or chose to ignore the implication. Here, first the size of the thing was used as a yard stick about arguing who's better (e-peen), which up to there is all fine and banters. But then the line was crossed when RL gender was used as a way to basically say "You're wrong cause you're a girl".
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-02 13:34:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Elizabet said: »
is pointing out that a woman does not have a penis some kind of offensive remark? Totally came off as an innocuous joke to me in response to someone else bringing up penis size.

In this particular case it was, you have missed or chose to ignore the implication. Here, first the size of the thing was used as a yard stick about arguing who's better (e-peen), which up to there is all fine and banters. But then the line was crossed when RL gender was used as a way to basically say "You're wrong cause you're a girl".
lol wtf?
[+]