The Role Of Rune Fencer

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » The role of Rune Fencer
The role of Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By itchi508 2013-04-03 10:51:22
Link | Citer | R

Doesn't exists? They just brought back the challenge to where yo will need real tanks again. Abysea and VW killed the tank allowing any job to be one. Like i said lets see what Seekers holds cuz i highly doubt in a month you'll be saying I war or thf tank etc. on these NMs. Arguing if what a tanks is justified to be Vs what people Qualify to be is different. And you all no this u just choose to argue cuz you did something that everyone else does. Duo a NM or trio salvage. Or zerg meebles. Or even legion. In legion can you hold Behe or Faf on any job besides pld? Till the. Wel just stop cuz this covo turned into a pissing contest threw a statement of what defines a real tank and does run qualify!
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-03 10:55:05
Link | Citer | R

Ohh .....

You ARE butt hurt that badly over SE not really changing how tanking works. You've resorted to threatening me with being right on unreleased future content... wow talk about a new low.

Yeah .... click add and finished.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-03 10:55:29
Link | Citer | R

itchi508 said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »
Maybe that's true now, but what some of the jobs you just listed most certainly did things that would define them as a tank, in every sense of the word.
Where in absyea? Or low LV non threat NMs outside? Like i said just cuz you tanked things on a job doesnt make it a tank. There is a large difference between being able to tank and being a tank. Can you tank things sure is it efficient to your job and support? No. Thats like sayin dnc is a tank. Can it? Hell ya but its going to be spending TP on cures rather than Dmg.

1) I'm not talking about Abyssea. I don't know, go Youtube old 75-cap NM fights or something if you're that ignorant. I'm sure you could find some stuff. SAM, DRK, NIN, RDM, BLU, and BRD (albeit for a fairly short period of time) have all been used at some point to tank "big, scary things" or whatever you want to call it.

2) Your point about DNC not being able to tank because it spends resources supporting itself is pretty stupid. Even Paladins have to sometimes allocate their resources towards defense rather than their mediocre to subpar damage potential.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-03 10:57:44
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
1) I'm not talking about Abyssea. I don't know, go Youtube old 75-cap NM fights or something if you're that ignorant. I'm sure you could find some stuff. SAM, DRK, NIN, RDM, BLU, and BRD (albeit for a fairly short period of time) have all been used at some point to tank "big, scary things" or whatever you want to call it.

Mazurka spam, why did SE have to go and nerf that. Was just an amazing hate tool.
By itchi508 2013-04-03 11:00:12
Link | Citer | R

Tanking in any job will give you limitations to what you can tank. A pld doesn't have limitations thats my point. And hopefully run wont either. All jobs have there weak points when it comes to being a tank as we no pld has the best survivability overall. Thats my point.
By itchi508 2013-04-03 11:02:54
Link | Citer | R

Are u r
Maybe that's true now, but what some of the jobs you just listed most certainly did things that would define them as a tank, in every sense of the word.
Where in absyea? Or low LV non threat NMs outside? Like i said just cuz you tanked things on a job doesnt make it a tank. There is a large difference between being able to tank and being a tank. Can you tank things sure is it efficient to your job and support? No. Thats like sayin dnc is a tank. Can it? Hell ya but its going to be spending TP on cures rather than Dmg.

1) I'm not talking about Abyssea. I don't know, go Youtube old 75-cap NM fightjs or something if you're that ignorant. I'm sure you could find some stuff. SAM, DRK, NIN, RDM, BLU, and BRD (albeit for a fairly short period of time) have all been used at some point to tank "big, scary things" or whatever you want to call it.

2) Your point about DNC not being able to tank because it spends resources supporting itself is pretty stupid. Even Paladins have to sometimes allocate their resources towards defense rather than their mediocre to subpar damage potential.
are u HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE? Did i ever say they including dnc cant tank? I said they can but would spend tp on cures instead of dmg u should read 1st. You also seem to have a issue seeing i said all jobs can tank to a point of what you are capable of. And as pld and hopefully run can tank anything w/o having a weak point in the defense field.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-03 11:05:03
Link | Citer | R

If DNC is worried about keeping hate, then I assume you mean situations in which you have a healer, in which case, DNC maintains hate better by WSing as hard and as fast as possible than it ever could by curing itself.

It's a role that DNC can fill, but DNC is better at speeding up a stronger melee (such as MNK) and building multi-step skillchains off the other melee's WSes. DNC is never particularly proficient at curing and it's generally a waste of time outside of emergencies.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-03 11:09:14
Link | Citer | R

ItemSet 269686

ItemSet 295161 with am up

have an am down set, just swap belt and head for haste

ive tanked salvage, meebles, abyssea, voidwatch (without temps) missions, vnms, old hnms, cerberus and other ***, sometimes without a healer (old salvage thf and mage died before the boss) tell me drk cant tank

i hope they give run gear that make my drk tank a good laugh
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-03 11:09:28
Link | Citer | R

Tanking in any job will give you limitations to what you can tank. A pld doesn't have limitations thats my point. And hopefully run wont either. All jobs have there weak points when it comes to being a tank as we no pld has the best survivability overall. Thats my point.

Its main weak point is that you're going to be killing the monster slower, which can occasionally lead to larger problems (such as timing out or an inability to get past a monster's autoregen).

Second, there have been some targets in the past where Paladin didn't even necessarily have the best survivability. While I would agree that Paladin has almost always been a safe bet, it also hasn't always been the best bet. Keep in mind that things like Ochain or the enhanced Aegis haven't always been in the game.
[+]
By itchi508 2013-04-03 11:15:25
Link | Citer | R

The hole convo has turned into other jobs tanking when it started out asking if run is a worth tank as pld is. The thread isnt asking wtf u can tank on what jobs. We all no people tank on w/e job but its not efficient to what the job is entailed to. Making a non tank job tank is completely playing it backwards as you depend on def rather than att. Just as stated from myself and others dnc is a great tank but is it preferred to tank or be free to play as DD like its intended to be spamming ws/sc. Get back on topic of what run is compared to a tank like pld. Im referring to a real tank that can hold say Odin V2 or Legion HNMs. or future NMs of seekers that will require more than just a DT set. Lets get past the pissing contest of iv tanked this or that on whm drk r blu so im a tank now.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-03 11:22:27
Link | Citer | R

Which brings up

Quote:
#3 Reduce incoming damage sufficiently enough not to drain healer resources.

Damage doesn't need to be reduced to 0. A tank who's healer is at full HP is not being aggressive enough. People only need to reduce damage to the point where the healer does not run empty (avoiding getting one shoted is common sense here). That's part of that melee to support crew communication that is vital to any group setting. If your support is set then you can open the throttle, if their struggling then turtle up more.

I could of sworn I made mention above that healers now have more the sufficient MP restoration / management tools to simply not require brick wall tanks. Also, killing it faster results in less overall damage as the NM has less time to be cheap.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-03 11:26:03
Link | Citer | R

I had high hopes for RUN (I had preliminarily started saving for RUN mythic) but It's going to need a lot of adjustment or an incredible mythic weapon to be viable. I mean, jobs are generally pretty bad upon release so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
By volkom 2013-04-03 11:31:23
Link | Citer | R

I feel like~
if you want...you can compare a paladin (who is a tank) to a land raider crusader

you know~ pretty durable. strong defense. but doesn't really have the firepower.

and a rune fencer is a predator destructor

a bit stronger firepower than the land raider but who knows~ maybe it might turn into a baneblade

but~ anyways disregarding my warhammer 40k rant.
if any of you folks ever play Age of Conan~
Then a Rune Fencer is basically a Herald of Xotli (minus the demon form)

Quote:
Heralds of Xotli are hybrids of the mage and soldier archetypes who wield alien spells and two-handed weapons, making them a formidable enemy on the battlefield.
Quote:
Heralds who choose to become Avatars of their demonic god are lethal in close combat. Using magic to enchant their blades to burn their foes with each attack.

>__>;
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-03 11:35:19
Link | Citer | R

Although I think it's worth mentioning that I predict that in the future it will become more effective to stack defense down (due to the introduction of Geomancer) than it will be to directly increase attack, so RUN's lack of attack may become less annoying in the future.

Most alliances are already carrying a DRG or someone else capable of inflicting defense down (You can bring your gastraphetes RNG lololool!), someone capable of using Dia II or III, and a COR.

You just need to replace a DD with a DNC (not really a bad trade considering you also get Sambas and the ratio cap increase really revitalized DNC's offensive capabilities) and add a GEO to your miscellaneous party for some absolutely ridiculoustastic defense down.
[+]
By itchi508 2013-04-03 11:38:32
Link | Citer | R

Like i said early i haven't lv it yet. But will it have the att to keep enmity wile being a sufficient tank on dmg intake? Like say run/nin low phy dmg intake wich will help enmity but is it enough?, run has high MD so overall it looks good on paper but how will enmity hold up? Is the attack high enuff to keep enmity?

Or Say run/war, voke + well attack and decent def if needed plus good enmity hold all around, but hows the phy dmg intake going to impact the job and enmity loss?

As there no merrits to enhance it or AF to Revolve around its being made as people think maybe not so much as what is intended. Has anyone tried to actually tank something that would be a large threat to other jobs to see the survivability yet?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-03 12:06:43
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
I feel like~
if you want...you can compare a paladin (who is a tank) to a land raider crusader

you know~ pretty durable. strong defense. but doesn't really have the firepower.

a bit stronger firepower than the land raider but who knows~ maybe it might turn into a baneblade

Quote:
Heralds of Xotli are hybrids of the mage and soldier archetypes who wield alien spells and two-handed weapons, making them a formidable enemy on the battlefield.
Quote:
Heralds who choose to become Avatars of their demonic god are lethal in close combat. Using magic to enchant their blades to burn their foes with each attack.

>__>;

I have a 6000 point tyranid army from about....16 years ago in my moms basement. I'm talking first edition codex, non-plastic model army.
I started with a genestealer cult and eventually progressed to having a tyrant zoanthropes lictors etc. Sadly when I played the only hero unit was "old one eye" and the actual model didn't exist yet (I custom modeled a carnifex into one though)
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-03 12:10:22
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Yuriki said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
all that requires a job to tank is keeping the mobs attention and being sustainable. in many context, whm is a viable tank and has some of the most potent emnity tools in the game despite having traits that reduce emnity generation.

point being, who cares what people consider a taking class, if you can tank with it, then tank with it. the playerbase will either find a place for run in optional strategies or it will be the next loljob.
Except that on anything worth while(outside of Abyssea, of course), the whm isn't going to last as long as a "real" tank, even with a PDT/MDT set. You COULD argue that, at that point, the whm is a tank, which is true, but on mostly anything that is new and relevant WHM isn't going to make a very good tank.

I do agree with you on your last point. I'm just hoping that SE engineers events where all jobs are useful, which would offer different strats for different job combinations (you know, not just "lolzerg all of the things"). Making events which allow you to jump straight into the NM fight but only allow a max of 6 people would be an easy way to do this. Basically, VW with no temps, better drop rate, and 6 person max. Makes it challenging and rewarding, as long as they drop good stuff.

most definitely why i prefaced it the way i did.

i am cautiously optimistic about run's place in new content, though.
By volkom 2013-04-03 12:12:09
Link | Citer | R

wow~ that stuff is ancient. everything now is finecast resin.
the metal models are going out of style.

I currently have a 4000 point space wolf army with a classic predator and several metal pieces.
I need to go back to painting the remaining bits of my army. Still got about 15 terminators and a few scouts still in the box that need assembly and stuff.
By nyheen 2013-04-03 12:13:57
Link | Citer | R

I feel like~

Quote:
Quote:

>__>;

rune fencer after AF,merits, buffs,
By volkom 2013-04-03 12:26:26
Link | Citer | R

how about this

By nyheen 2013-04-03 12:31:04
Link | Citer | R

how about this

O.O
By Chyula 2013-04-03 16:34:59
Link | Citer | R

If aegis and brochain isn't so hard to get both, then RUN would've been useful tanking.
By Alpheus 2013-04-03 17:55:23
Link | Citer | R

I think I'm gonna build a number of Magian GSwords for RUN. STR for sure but maybe also PDT and Evasion just for kicks. Really hard to see what it will continue to be lacking in once AF sets roll in to supplement the job even further though.
 Fenrir.Calamity
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-03 18:49:37
Link | Citer | R

Alpheus said: »
I think I'm gonna build a number of Magian GSwords for RUN. STR for sure but maybe also PDT and Evasion just for kicks. Really hard to see what it will continue to be lacking in once AF sets roll in to supplement the job even further though.
Could add MDB magian to the list just to push it overboard :p
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-03 19:17:48
Link | Citer | R

I already did the PDT Gsword, although my collective RUN set should include a STR, MDB, MAB (for Lunge), and now i'll have to think about the evasion Gsword.
 Fenrir.Calamity
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-03 19:47:28
Link | Citer | R

MAB? Idk. At a 3 min timer, I can't see that being overly useful for more than just having fun with.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-03 19:51:02
Link | Citer | R

RUN isn't overly useful for more than just having fun with atm either :p, which is why i levelled it to begin with, and the same reason why i want the MAB gsword.

On that note, who knows if/when SE will see the power of lunge and give us merits/equipment to reduce the recast? It would make RUN much more powerful in the long run as well if they did, and considering you can MB Lunge, why not make it as strong as possible?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-04 04:46:36
Link | Citer | R

Alpheus said: »

I would hold out making any serious investments into RUN until after SE gives it AF / Relic and possibly Emp armor. They'll also realize some of the stupid mistakes they made and end up correcting a bunch of stuff.

The RUN of now is definitely mediocre bordering on sh!tty. It's fun but really doesn't fill any role that can't already be done by someone else often better. Now the RUN six months to a year from now might be a completely different job. Remember how the original PUP and SCH where vs how they are now, that's the kind of change I'm expecting.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh
user: Nahh
By Bismarck.Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh 2013-04-04 08:30:05
Link | Citer | R

Two questions, may or may not have come up already.

#1 - Why aren't people doing STP builds on this job since the spike damage obviously isn't going to happen.

#2 - Why are people insisting on full DD sets then complaining about dmg taken?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2013-04-04 08:32:39
Link | Citer | R

Probably due to lack of high defense light armor, for #2.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9