The role of Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-04-01 11:40:33
Link | Citer | R

My God. A sudden realization has happened to me...

Runes are Maneuvers. Same recast. And Maneuvers are used to enhance the performance of your automaton...

Therefore, Rune Fencer = automaton
 Fenrir.Calamity
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-01 15:41:33
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Neosutrax said: »
I'm really not seeing a use for RUN at the moment beyond gimmicky crap or people just having fun with it by tossing it into current events. Perhaps if SE releases another AV type mob where AOE magic shield is actually needed.

It just completely lacks decent damage/attack JAs, and still really doesn't take the place of PLD for adds tanking or HNM holding. Resolution is trash with the lack of attack. Dual wield offers the damage of a mediocre BLU without the spells. There are better jobs suited to evasion tank while still doing damage.

I'm not impressed sadly.
At this point, you're probably right. But it's still too early to say until they start getting JSE, merits and mythic. Merits for some jobs can be quite game changing, like the overwhelm and zanshin merits for sam, and desperate blows for drk, and so on.

Basically RUN is still just a base, and hasn't been given any of it's real tools yet. So I'm gonna wait and see, before I pass any real judgement.

But for now, I see nothing wrong with using it for gimmicky stuff. I'm actually kinda looking forward to trying it out in salvage, see how much I can knock off Acheron's flame, sit there laughing at the dvergr as he tries to curse > insta nuke me and so on. Go around abyssea like everyone else picking on cast heavy nms and so on. Right now it's just a toy to have fun with, sure. But that's ok. The game doesn't always have to be about serious top tier high end content 100% of the time does it?
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-04-01 15:44:56
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Calamity said: »
Phoenix.Neosutrax said: »
I'm really not seeing a use for RUN at the moment beyond gimmicky crap or people just having fun with it by tossing it into current events. Perhaps if SE releases another AV type mob where AOE magic shield is actually needed.

It just completely lacks decent damage/attack JAs, and still really doesn't take the place of PLD for adds tanking or HNM holding. Resolution is trash with the lack of attack. Dual wield offers the damage of a mediocre BLU without the spells. There are better jobs suited to evasion tank while still doing damage.

I'm not impressed sadly.
At this point, you're probably right. But it's still too early to say until they start getting JSE, merits and mythic. Merits for some jobs can be quite game changing, like the overwhelm and zanshin merits for sam, and desperate blows for drk, and so on.

Basically RUN is still just a base, and hasn't been given any of it's real tools yet. So I'm gonna wait and see, before I pass any real judgement.
I hope that one of the merits is that "Monkey Grip" JT we speculated about before it released. Would be epic. Useless, but epic.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-01 15:47:44
Link | Citer | R

Monkey grip will never happen. Ever. I'd wager my account on it.
By Enuyasha 2013-04-01 15:50:41
Link | Citer | R

i can dream damnit ;A;

More than likely G1 will be lunge and runes recast + two other things and the G2 being a JT and three abilities.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-01 16:00:34
Link | Citer | R

My biggest fear is group 2 merit: Foil II.
[+]
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-01 18:26:23
Link | Citer | R

Really I am curious to see how the additions of all the new stuff will change RUN. I mean, when you think about it, as an example, take WAR and MNK. Take away their AF1/2/3. Take away their merits. Take away all their legendary weapons and WS's, no Vere, no Ukon, Bravura, Spharai, etc. And for that matter, take away all weapons and armor that are specifically geared towards them, such as black belt. Are they even close to as awesome as they are presently with no restrictions? No. Not so much.

Now granted, there are also a lot of useless merits and af armor and legendary weapons, etc, but I'm just trying to point out the potential growth as they start getting more complete.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2013-04-01 18:29:05
Link | Citer | R

Enuyasha said: »
i can dream damnit ;A;

More than likely G1 will be lunge and runes recast + two other things and the G2 being a JT and three abilities.

If they add monkey grip then I'm first in line for RUN Mythic.
 Asura.Kohanu
Serveur: Asura
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2013-04-01 18:41:57
Link | Citer | R

I doubt rune recast will be in G1, they'd have to take off a second per merit since the game doesn't really do partial seconds, which would mean half-recast runes with 5 points. I just can't see that happening.

Lunge recast, maybe lunge effect, and then two or three of the other JAs, specifically the 10 minute ones under level 75 (five bux says nothing over 75).

G2's going to depend on what else they do with the job.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-01 19:03:17
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, rune recast wouldn't happen. I could easily picture then adding merits to enhance rune duration instead, just so we can stare in confusion and go "But... Lunge!!!"
 Phoenix.Urteil
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-04-01 19:19:48
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

Wouldn't be as bad as muted soul.
[+]
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-01 19:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Urteil said: »

But then, what is?
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-04-01 21:37:21
Link | Citer | R

But then, what is?

I can think of a few...

Blind II...
Sange...
San spells...
Foe sirvente/Adventurer's Dirge.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-01 21:54:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »

But then, what is?

I can think of a few...

Blind II...
Sange...
San spells...
Foe sirvente/Adventurer's Dirge.
The bard spells yes, the other 3, almost. Though I've known nins that would argue with you on the san spells.
By Ophannus 2013-04-01 22:29:34
Link | Citer | R

RUN Tier 2 Merit guesses:

1) A trait that enhances Barspell potency by 10% first merit, 5% per every merit after.

2) A JA that makes your next lunge Non-elemental.

3) A JA that enhances your WS damage for every time your parry until the ability wears off.

4) A JA that greatly increases the TP accrued when hit with magic attacks.
 Asura.Rekin
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Rekin 2013-04-01 22:40:50
Link | Citer | R

I can imagine SE adding Barspell II for merits... knowing their track record they'd do it too.
 Fenrir.Soulstealers
By Fenrir.Soulstealers 2013-04-01 22:51:43
Link | Citer | R

I could see a JA that uses the number of rune's to enhance Defense.
 Phoenix.Warusha
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2013-04-01 23:07:48
Link | Citer | R

Dirge 4/5 is way better than anything over 1/5 nightingale.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-01 23:13:13
Link | Citer | R

The San spells aren't at all useless, or even mostly useless. I'm not a ninja main, though i have seen some incredible damage from those spells by ninjas. Another cool treat - they lower the resistance towards the opposing element, allowing that next san spell to hit that much harder, as well as increase the potential landing of enfeebling effects and songs from bards and mages.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-04-01 23:37:23
Link | Citer | R

Ophannus said: »
RUN Tier 2 Merit guesses:

1) A trait that enhances Barspell potency by 10% first merit, 5% per every merit after.

2) A JA that makes your next lunge Non-elemental.

3) A JA that enhances your WS damage for every time your parry until the ability wears off.

4) A JA that greatly increases the TP accrued when hit with magic attacks.
magic evade and counter (tidus style)

return magic (amarant/vyvi style, but this one wouldn't cost MP and would be non elemental damage!)

runic (simple. cancels next spell cast and you get the MP for it... maybe half of the MP for it since this is FFXI)

all for one (I have no idea what this would do I just like the name)

BUT knowing SE we'll get an extra rune to fence with, a stance that disables us to weapon skill but gives us a lot of enmity and an ability that reduces magic damage when we are facing the enemy.
By Gimp 2013-04-01 23:44:00
Link | Citer | R

But then, what is?

elemental perpetuation cost is probably the worst merit category of them all honestly
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-02 00:00:52
Link | Citer | R

It also doesn't exist anymore.
 Odin.Fushichou
Serveur: Odin
user: Fushichou
By Odin.Fushichou 2013-04-02 00:02:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rekin said: »
I can imagine SE adding Barspell II for merits... knowing their track record they'd do it too.

Would these even be useful? I mean I hit 225 with just 3 Runes and a Barspell and my enhancing isn't capped. I know I hit 256 with Embolden which I figured might be the cap, although I have yet to hit up a Bard to see if that is in fact the cap.

I wouldn't put it past them, but unless these can surpass the cap or I'm incorrect on the Barspell cap they wouldn't really have any merit would they?
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-04-02 00:04:59
Link | Citer | R

Maybe if they absorbed elemental damage?
 Odin.Fushichou
Serveur: Odin
user: Fushichou
By Odin.Fushichou 2013-04-02 00:08:48
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
Maybe if they absorbed elemental damage?

Yea an effect similar to the Tier II Bard songs that "sometimes nullifies" might prove a lot more useful.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2013-04-02 07:45:44
Link | Citer | R

Gimp said: »

But then, what is?

elemental perpetuation cost is probably the worst merit category of them all honestly

Strafe!
[+]
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-02 13:13:13
Link | Citer | R

I kinda half see a no foot rise type ability that refills the next used rune to full instantly. It's not very practical, but, I wouldn't be surprised. More importantly, talking about the lack of af armor and merits and all that, there was one thing that didn't dawn on me until now. RUN should have a second 2hr coming along with the other jobs. And who knows what it could be? Elemental absorption? Maybe an extremely powerful rune effect added to melee damage? It's really hard to say.
 Fenrir.Mesic
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2013-04-02 22:08:55
Link | Citer | R

its a DD with a set of survival skills for Special Actions and Magic. Someone who can still deal some damage alongside the pld and mages after everythings gone to sh**.

If it requires a pld than run has a place in that pt. imo *insofar.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-03 03:58:35
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mesic said: »
its a DD with a set of survival skills for Special Actions and Magic. Someone who can still deal some damage alongside the pld and mages after everythings gone to sh**.

This is very true. Though it's also true of any DD who invested the time into creating a PDT/MDT set.

EX:
Currently on WAR I can get capped gear haste along with 47% PDT and 50% MDT (numerically higher then this) while still having a 6-hit. DRK can do the same while everyone else will have to either accept less haste or less PDT though 25% PDT / 50% MDT with capped haste should be viable for everyone.
 Fenrir.Mesic
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2013-04-03 06:25:06
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Fenrir.Mesic said: »

This is very true. Though it's also true of any DD who invested the time into creating a PDT/MDT set.

EX:
Currently on WAR I can get capped gear haste along with 47% PDT and 50% MDT (numerically higher then this) while still having a 6-hit. DRK can do the same while everyone else will have to either accept less haste or less PDT though 25% PDT / 50% MDT with capped haste should be viable for everyone.

Well of course, but in that case you can also say the role of a whm is to melee as long as he invested time in a dd set. The point is is that you can do that same thing with this job (put in time for a mdt set) along with the jobs traits it already has to flex that specific/unique use of it. Which is the whole point of this thread.

Rune has other means to though too, with foil, phalanx, and magic resistance (which is something different than magic defense bonus or mdt)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9