Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » The role of Rune Fencer
The role of Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Enuyasha 2013-03-30 17:55:17
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Arana said: »
I wouldn't discredit dual wield so readily.
I dont see much of a benefit using it for RUN. Fencer adds alot to TP and WS phase. Also, with all the DA/TA/QA gear there is you dont need that extra TP hit from DW really, I mean, sure itll make you hit 100 faster but what about lacking natural attack bonus and whatnot.
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2013-03-30 18:01:22
Link | Citer | R

Fencer cannot compete with DW, at all.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-30 18:02:20
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said: »

No one asked Victreebel.
[+]
 Shiva.Arana
Serveur: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-30 18:02:31
Link | Citer | R

Enuyasha said: »
I dont see much of a benefit using it for RUN. Fencer adds alot to TP and WS phase. Also, with all the DA/TA/QA gear there is you dont need that extra TP hit from DW really, I mean, sure itll make you hit 100 faster but what about lacking natural attack bonus and whatnot.
I'm not even sure what to say to this. I take it you're not the type to do or even read about game math?
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-03-30 18:03:05
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »

No one asked Victreebel.

V_V
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2013-03-30 18:05:16
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Traxus said: »
A+ greatsword doesn't mean much when you have no attack boosting traits/abilities (no native melee stuff at all for that matter), use an attack penalty ws, and have way less attack on ws gear due to being on light melee armor not heavy.

I would hope for a really useful mythic ws, because RUN is not suited to use resolution at all. It's probably better off using axe/axe (or axe/sword?) and ruinator in most situations as it is now.

I don't think any of the things you named are going to hurt as much as you make it sound. Its going to impact them for sure, but i don't think enough to merit not using Resolution.

They could still easily sub WAR for Berserk, or stick with /SAM For the STR/Haste, that and light armor has come a long way from where it was. Including Thaumus, Skadi+1/Sigyns, and even good old Toci/Tess.

also for my own ... edification... Define "Most Situations", Cause i can name on one hand the amount of events that you're suffering for attack so much its going to make resolution take backseat, Legion, possibly provenance watcher, though you're heavily buffed there.

On a side note, I wish people would make Rabbit Pies again.
By Enuyasha 2013-03-30 18:06:41
Link | Citer | R

I'm not even sure what to say to this. I take it you're not the type to do or even read about game math?
im guessing we where thinkign immediately SAM because it was a 2Her...then we stumbled across the facts. Its a possibility. Also, Lunge damage will suffer from lower skill in Axe. Not much, but it will.
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 18:07:01
Link | Citer | R

Also there was an interesting point made in the geomancer thread that the Geo-Def down will stack with Angon and dia which will help overcome those mobs higher def.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-30 18:08:27
Link | Citer | R

RUN's role, in my opinion, will lean heavily toward support DD rather than full blooded DD or tank. Pending the full effects of recent changes to defense, and the strength of new NMs like Naaktuals, the value of having a stoic DD like RUN may actually be pretty high compared to going with full out WARs, DRKs, and SAMs; those magic shields and whatnot may be more useful than most people are giving them credit for.

DD wise, RUN is in an awkward place mostly due to weapon variety. Its gear isn't godawful, it just has to gear "differently" apart from other 2h DDs... it does take some hits in the WS gear department, most notable lacking pieces like Phorcys Korazin, but it's not a massive detriment considering the job's projected purpose. With Minuets and Chaos Roll, plus the myriad defense downs that we have access to, Resolution should be fine, though I do foresee Ruinator overtaking it even with a gimp axe selection in many situations. Mostly hoping that RUN's arsenal expands in the coming updates, as that's honestly where I feel it's hurting the most right now.

Fundamentally, RUN is a pretty good job. Realistically, I could actually see it being used relatively often if we can expect more things like Naaktuals that seem to be heavily elemental based NMs. The game has its place for a heavy support DD role, hopefully RUN manages to fill it adequately.
[+]
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-30 18:10:35
Link | Citer | R

Maybe I'm wrong Idk. Pro if you're using axes /Nin >/War right? I mean everything I know about the game says Nin should blow it out of the water but meh. I'd hate to be called close minded.
[+]
By darthmaull 2013-03-30 18:13:18
Link | Citer | R

So RUN is not able to hold a mobs attention and stay alive while a party or alliance beats down on it? I keep reading info on it and from what I have seen it seems to hold hate pretty well and we have only had it for 3 days. But you guys are only trying to turn it into a heavy DD.
By Enuyasha 2013-03-30 18:15:58
Link | Citer | R

darthmaull said: »
So RUN is not able to hold a mobs attention and stay alive while a party or alliance beats down on it? I keep reading info on it and from what I have seen it seems to hold hate pretty well and we have only had it for 3 days. But you guys are only trying to turn it into a heavy DD.
Exactly what im thinking. But if thats true for RUN, its also true for PLD. Anyway, before that goes 16 pages on "NO PLD R STEWPID DD R TENK!" The key to RUNs tanking is a combination of using spells,abilities,and weaponskill damage for overall hate while also massively buffing the party. Valliance is a nice move, but 10 minutes is a *** for a Warcry hate tool :(
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-30 18:18:31
Link | Citer | R

Maybe I'm wrong Idk. Pro if you're using axes /Nin >/War right? I mean everything I know about the game says Nin should blow it out of the water but meh. I'd hate to be called closed minded.

Yes. There's no comparison between Fencer and Dual Wield; Dual Wield is one of the if not the strongest DPS boosting traits in the game. Berserk and Double Attack are nice, but not worth losing this for; Berserk's value is diminished due to Ruinator, leaving Double Attack as the only major thing that you're losing from the whole tradeoff.

Overall, /WAR wouldn't be too far behind /NIN if you're getting the full benefit of Berserk, but even then it's still behind.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-30 18:20:05
Link | Citer | R

Im just worried about losing a few hundred or thousand damage from having a lower base skill with Axe.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-30 18:20:11
Link | Citer | R

Thanks Pro.

Im just worried about losing a few hundred or thousand damage from having a lower base skill with Axe.
Were you not talking about 1handing earlier? I mean you used fencer as a strong point..
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-30 18:21:44
Link | Citer | R

Averages are all that matter. As it stands, Axe is better on average even with lower skill.
By Enuyasha 2013-03-30 18:24:30
Link | Citer | R

Thanks Pro.

Were you not talking about 1handing earlier? I mean you used fencer as a strong point..
IF you 1H. IF it becomes a strong option.

Still dont think using axe or sword as a main weapon isnt(did i mean is? bleh...cant form thought atm to edit) going to be that much better.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-30 18:26:44
Link | Citer | R

It already is the best option. Though hey what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You remind me a lot of a guy back on Alexander same name too.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2013-03-30 18:28:42
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Thoraeon said: »
tl;dr Run is probably a better dd than Drg. (Although the bar wasn't set too high.)
:(
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-30 18:35:42
Link | Citer | R

It already is the best option. Though hey what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You remind me a lot of a guy back on Alexander same name too.
meh, i had an I in front of my name before i transfered to carby. Anyway, same problem happened with DNC and i said it could be a DD. How many years are we into DNC and it turns out i was right? Sure, when i was 12 or whatever spouting off Blink is better than utusemi i was wrong, but occasionally i was right.

Lets play with the job a little bit more before we stuff it into one small box.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-30 18:39:17
Link | Citer | R

Oh wow it is you that's insane. Not trying to hate or anything since I actually enjoyed you back then. It seemed like every week you had some new crazy ***to say lol.
[+]
By darthmaull 2013-03-30 18:51:55
Link | Citer | R

I see RUN as a tank but the majority of people that play melee just want another DD. The mindset has changed from when this game first was introduced. Back then the tank idea was welcomed now all everyone wants to do is make their job dish out the biggest DD numbers. We have too many DD's. A new tank job is needed. So why are most of you on here only trying to find out how to make this new job only dish out the big numbers? And from what I have seen, RUN does not "need" these huge DD numbers in order to keep a mobs attention.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-31 00:02:46
Link | Citer | R

No he doesn't, he really doesn't. It's lead him to believe in an alternative FFXI that only he exists and plays in.

RUN is a support DD, similar to DNC / BLU and possibly THF. They have utility and support abilities to make up for the lack of raw DD power. Makes them not so desired in big 18 man alliances where you field six DD's with BRD's and CORs (this might be changing since the 2.25 ratio update). This does makes them incredibly useful in small group settings.

There are no more "tanking jobs" in FFXI, the enmity sytsem simply doesn't allow for it. That may change in the future should SE decide to introduce abilities that create large amounts of CE, for now they don't exist and all DD co-tank. An aspiring RUN should obviously build a MDT/PDT set for taking big hits, they shouldn't be full timing it. TP set needs to be exactly that, an offensive TP set with capped haste and x-hit whatever weapon their using. Lots of attack / TA / DA and so forth, thankfully the light armor line does have tons of those stats to go around.

Overall it's a good job. It's only truly glaring problem is no access to OaT Magian GSWD, that really hurts it's potential. There looks to be some high level crafted weapons that might serve as decent weapons, we'll have to wait and see.

Also I'm predicting this thread will soon devolved into tanking because there are people on here who have no idea how enmity works.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-31 00:05:50
Link | Citer | R

I knew you'd pop in here sooner or later. Like i aid in the last thread (and we'll add a little time buffer here) its not two or so days ago. But give it a week and let everyone figure out you cant zerg down the new content. then we'll see. And honestly, as far as reives go a stable tank that can take damage and hold mobs is apparently HIGHLY appreciated.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-03-31 00:07:54
Link | Citer | R

Oh wow it is you that's insane. Not trying to hate or anything since I actually enjoyed you back then. It seemed like every week you had some new crazy ***to say lol.

and was always wrong. Still is, from the looks of it.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-31 00:09:58
Link | Citer | R

I miss Alex ;(
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-03-31 00:11:13
Link | Citer | R

me too.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-03-31 00:19:44
Link | Citer | R

RUN Will eventually be a tank once SE fixes the emnity system.

Until then, its a DD with some cool effects.

I personally feel it'll work more like how SAM was supposed to for hate (was originally intended to be a tank) my only concern is how much of the content spams Heavy hitting spells rather than Obscene Physical damage? I question the practicality of this at the minute, as an Aegis PLD is good at this, I suppose the fact RUN can do AoE Elemental resist would make it better for those but, wouldn't you just do PLD RUN RDM in the tank pt? Seems RUN is a DD BRD more than a Tank IMO
By Enuyasha 2013-03-31 00:28:35
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

and was always wrong. Still is, from the looks of it.
not always, DDDNC is real ;)

Also im not exactly wrong about this, its just a situational and update based idea. Cant be inZerg content forever. Make peace with your god when DDZERG is no longer applicable. Let the mass exodus from the game beginith again when the day comes.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-31 00:43:17
Link | Citer | R

I knew you'd pop in here sooner or later. Like i aid in the last thread (and we'll add a little time buffer here) its not two or so days ago. But give it a week and let everyone figure out you cant zerg down the new content. then we'll see. And honestly, as far as reives go a stable tank that can take damage and hold mobs is apparently HIGHLY appreciated.

O.o?

You really don't play this game do you. Do you just troll the forums and randomly spout stuff off?

This has nothing to do with a like / dislike for "DD zerg", our tactics are merely a response to SE's implementation of game mechanics. Damage is a requirement to kill something, unless you think you can talk them to death. Damage also happens to be the #1 best gate generation source by a very large margin.

Also you have everything reversed, the stronger offensively the opponent the more you need "DD zerg" to kill it. The longer the NM is alive the higher then change it'll will kill everyone via various cheap moves. The cheaper the moves are the more necessary it is to kill it fast. Legion demonstrated this perfectly, the NMs in there are so powerful that they can anyone within seconds. Our answer wasn't to field an army of PLD (tanks) and slowly whittle them down from a distance. It was to use stun locks to reduce their offensive danger while burning their HP down as fast as possible.

So to head off your fallacious logic, SE creating crazier / stronger NM's immediately necessitates a "DD zerg" strategy. If SE desires to change this they will have to create NM's without powerful aoe moves.

Honesty just cancel your account already, your going to be disappointed when nothing changes in the status quot and no one wants to hear your screams of anguish. Wishing really hard and sniffing unicorn farts does not magically make things any different.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9