Repairs
First Page 2 3 4
 Siren.Narayan
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 15:04:18
Link | Citer | R

(I dunno if I'd actually want this but would you?)

The ability and/or need to repair weapon and armor. Would have people constantly spending gil or farming mobs so they could repair thier ***. Of course if stuff got worse fast than screw repairing! :)

(I've been playing Fallout 3 too often....)
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-10 15:06:08
Link | Citer | R

lol... Another PWI feature. Though, most of the time unless you've gone days w/o repairing the EQ... It's very cheap to repair.
I wouldn't mind having this feature b/c generally I don't get hit too often.
[+]
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-10 15:06:42
Link | Citer | R

Narayan said:
(I dunno if I'd actually want this but would you?)

The ability and/or need to repair weapon and armor. Would have people constantly spending gil or farming mobs so they could repair thier ***. Of course if stuff got worse fast than screw repairing! :)

(I've been playing Fallout 3 too often....)

*** NO.

I hate that concept, even though it makes sense. Why? because if someone else is *** up it could cost you a bigger repair bill. In WoW, a few idiots can cause a raid to fail, and then everyone has to go and drop Gold on fixing their ***. Money they wouldn't have to spend a SECOND time if they would have completed the raid the first time.

It's easy to make gold in WoW, but yeah, it's still annoying, I'm sure. I'd be annoyed, anyways.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-10 15:07:12
Link | Citer | R

all these suggestions sound like they were all ripped right off of WoW
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 15:11:36
Link | Citer | R

That would like completely ruin the market for those really hard to get/synth items. Stop comparing this game to WoW. WoW fails so hard its not funny. If I wanted everything handed to me and ability to do everything easy I'd play mario bros...
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 15:15:43
Link | Citer | R

never played WoW. Watched it played a bunch and thought was way too damn cartoony.
[+]
 Cerberus.Nieko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-06-10 15:34:48
Link | Citer | R

Do all of the ideas come from WoW? There's a reason that game had to pay celebs millions to endorse, CUZ IT SUCKS! "run over here, jam the 2 key. Ok now over there, jam the 2 key. Oh look a new one! jam the 3 key"
No thanks.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Serveur: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-10 15:47:57
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Dasva said:
That would like completely ruin the market for those really hard to get/synth items. Stop comparing this game to WoW. WoW fails so hard its not funny. If I wanted everything handed to me and ability to do everything easy I'd play mario bros...

this is the Ironic thing WoW Doesn't fail its actually the most marketable MMO evar but we as hardcore gamers don't like it

You must admit some stuff Blizzard pulled off are good so borrowing some features is ok

btw every game lately borrow stuff from other games So I wouldn't be surprised about FF14 getting some WoW features in it.

But im just saying
 Cerberus.Nieko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-06-10 16:00:14
Link | Citer | R

borrowing ideas is fine.
cloning is not.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 08:21:29
Link | Citer | R

There have been a lot of people mentioning WoW in these FFXIV servers, I'm getting kinda sick of it to be honest, every idea someone comes up with that's not exactly the same as FFXI is now, *** heads like Dasva come in and say "If I wanted the game to be easy and give me all the answers I'd play WoW". Seriously Dasva, you seem to have absolutely no interest in FFXIV at all because it's not FFXI, do us all a favour and stop reading, or at least stop commenting in the FFXIV section.

Having said that, THIS idea (but not most of the others I've seen so far) is ripped straight from WoW and I hate it. As #2 said, it helps the good/rich get richer and the bad/poor get poorer, which is something that should be avoided at all costs.

Since I'm on the topic of WoW, I have absolutely no issues with people suggesting ideas for FFXIV that were popularised or invented by WoW. Like it or not, WoW is a very popular game, so they must have done something right. Taking good ideas from other games makes perfectly good sense to me. Doesn't mean they have to copy the game entirely, but there must be some aspects of WoW that are good enough to give it the following it has received over the years. We can only hope that SE copies the ideas that we will think are good, and simply laugh at the shitty ideas like this one and leave them out.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Serveur: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-06-11 08:28:00
Link | Citer | R

Reminds me of Monster hunter, using whetstones to sharpen your weapon after so much usage dulls it out. Could be a crafted item... can you say steady income for crafters?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 08:33:23
Link | Citer | R

Jimmyjazz said:
Reminds me of Monster hunter, using whetstones to sharpen your weapon after so much usage dulls it out. Could be a crafted item... can you say steady income for crafters?

Steady income for crafters yes (even though a whetstone would have to be a level 1 synth since it's about half as complex as a stone arrowhead), constant expense for all melee jobs? Yes. There are enough things we constantly need to spend money on as it is, don't need more.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Serveur: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-06-11 08:51:40
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
Jimmyjazz said:

Steady income for crafters yes (even though a whetstone would have to be a level 1 synth since it's about half as complex as a stone arrowhead), constant expense for all melee jobs? Yes. There are enough things we constantly need to spend money on as it is, don't need more.

Who knows, perhaps Gil in XIV will be fall from the sky easy to get? All that being said...wonder if there will even be crafting...or crafting as we know it.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-11 08:53:13

Depends on how it would be implemented tbh

in LOTRO this was implemented and the npc would fix your gear the price would vary ~ depends how much dmg your gear took

I rather have NPCs to fix my gear then using the AH stupid prices
and again this did take a lot of my money when I had bad days and died tons
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 08:58:03
Link | Citer | R

I'd say there will be, I can't imagine SE dropping such a successful element.

Also, as I mentioned somewhere else, it doesn't matter how easy it is to get gil, all it will do is change the base value of the gil. If every mob drops 10k, then it'll be 1m for a teleport holla instead of 1k. That's just how economies work, they're an improvement on the barter system, but the value of one thing is still based on the time it takes to get something else.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-11 09:00:22

Blazza said:
I'd say there will be, I can't imagine SE dropping such a successful element.

Also, as I mentioned somewhere else, it doesn't matter how easy it is to get gil, all it will do is change the base value of the gil. If every mob drops 10k, then it'll be 1m for a teleport holla instead of 1k. That's just how economies work, they're an improvement on the barter system, but the value of one thing is still based on the time it takes to get something else.

yeah of course but you always have the *** who bumps the price +20k on essential items

and when it comes 2 gil I'd like to see a smaller AH with less influence thats all
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 09:09:50
Link | Citer | R

I was actually replying to Jimmyjazz, but I know where you're coming from. NPC's providing more gear and services is certainly a start, but I'm not sure you can ever really combat "the *** who bumps the price up +20k". Again, that's just how economies work, if people don't compete with him to supply that product then he'll corner the market and put his price up.

While I hate price hikers, this is one of the things that adds realism and a greater interaction (greater than you realise) with in the game.
 Odin.Moondaddy
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-06-11 09:32:17
Link | Citer | R

actually guys blizzard has been doin the repair your gear thing since atleast diablo2 get it rigbht >.>. but imo ya gay idea for ffxiv
 Gilgamesh.Funsam
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2009-06-11 09:33:40
Link | Citer | R

wow wasn't the first rpg to have repairing weapons in. been going for ages since the original spectrum & atari rpg games.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 09:37:51
Link | Citer | R

Okay, so armour repair isn't an idea ripped straight from WoW, alllll of my points remain valid *shrug*
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 10:36:47
Link | Citer | R

I liked it in Morrowind where you could repair your own armor and weapons and actually skillup your Armorer skill in the process. If you failed the repair, you didn't get skillups and you lost a tool use. You didn't lose the gear you were repairing.

You had the option to NPC repair it, but you could try yourself. Depending on the tools you used and your skill, it would take more attempts to complete the repair, making more skilled people able to do them faster/cheaper.

IF they decide to bring Armor wearout and repair into FFXIV, I hope that they lean more toward a system like Bethesda used for Morrowind/Oblivion.

One thing to consider is how weardown of armor/weapons would affect the economy and crafting. Part of what has hurt crafting as the game draws longer and longer into its playing years is the amount of non-consumable goods constantly being injected into the economy by people skilling their craft. Why is a Haubergeon cheaper than it used to be?

Because people keep making them, and less and less new people are playing. Most people who already have one will keep it, and it will never wear out or need repair.
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
user: Nixie
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 11:20:39
Link | Citer | R

Nieko said:
Do all of the ideas come from WoW? There's a reason that game had to pay celebs millions to endorse, CUZ IT SUCKS! "run over here, jam the 2 key. Ok now over there, jam the 2 key. Oh look a new one! jam the 3 key"
No thanks.

A lot of the ideas posted so far are also used in WoW, but WoW was not the first game to incorporate any of them. It's just that it's the only big MMO that most people know about. It too, is simply a "PvP clone game." They all follow the same formula, about the only thing unique WoW introduced was the way they handled the Horde vs Alliance thing. Even that wasn't a new idea, they just approached it in a different direction.

But in reply to the original post... I hate the idea of repairs. It's annoying to be out doing something important (fighting a boss, finishing a quest you were stuck on for ages) only to realize your equipment just broke and is useless til you get it repaired. It's beyond annoying, and just a pain to have to keep running back to town. Not to mention, the prices will probably be pretty high at the start and noone will be able to afford it. It will likely take every bit of gil they pick up from monsters, since there won't be a pre-established player economy to sell items to for more than NPC value.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 11:25:22
Link | Citer | R

Anarkissed said:
But in reply to the original post... I hate the idea of repairs. It's annoying to be out doing something important (fighting a boss, finishing a quest you were stuck on for ages) only to realize your equipment just broke and is useless til you get it repaired. It's beyond annoying, and just a pain to have to keep running back to town. Not to mention, the prices will probably be pretty high at the start and noone will be able to afford it. It will likely take every bit of gil they pick up from monsters, since there won't be a pre-established player economy to sell items to for more than NPC value.
Bring a backup weapon? Even if the weapon isn't quite as good as your main... It's better than fighting with a broken weapon for minimal damage. =)

I for one, do like the repairs part. Everyone talks about the zoning and load times making the game seem 'not as real' or reminding them that they're playing a game and not being submersed in the world enough...

If in real life you use a sword/knife or hit a piece of medal with another hard object there's probably going to be some sort of wear/damage. Unless you're using one of those Ginsu knives...
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 11:44:52
Link | Citer | R

As I mentioned, in Morrowind, you could repair your own, and you gained skill in the process. You could find blacksmithing tools for purchase from NPCs or in raiding lairs or killing stuff.

Basically, there wasn't a skill cap on the repair of a given item, but there was a skill relation to success rate. A blacksmith hammer might have 10 uses, and if you have no skill, you might use 5 of those with no successful repairs, but then you get a repair to work and you get a skillup.

Next time it takes you less tries and you get more skillups.

As you become a more seasoned adventurer, it becomes very easy and a lot cheaper to maintain your weapons and armor (and you don't have to unequip them to perform repairs, believe it or not).

Of course, you could just take it to NPC armorers (or in an MMO, perhaps another player) and pay them, but in the long term, it was better to build up your own skill.

Also, if SE did implement something like this, there would have to be some sort of exception or adjustment for R/E gear, since you obviously can't have another player repair it for you.

I really do like the idea because of the added realism. Morrowind seemed to factor in weapon type/material vs. armor of what you were attacking, so a hardened blade against leather armor would dull a lot more slowly than against plate/chain armor.

Again, it's about the realism. No clue if it's in the works or how SE would pull it off, but I'd welcome it in some form.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 12:03:31
Link | Citer | R

I agree pretty much whole-heartedly with you, Aramina. But... Looks like the cheap players don't agree with the idea. Just look at the -5 rating on the OP. >.>
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 12:14:59
Link | Citer | R

-6 now :D

It's not a problem with realism. If you made a game completely realistic, then it'd be no fun to play. There are certain aspects that should maintain realism... But not EVERYTHING. You also die in real life, and you don't respawn at your homepoint if you get stabbed in the heart. Should your character be deleted if you die? I know another MMO incorporated this... But i mean, there should be a clear line. When somethings just a chore, and has no depth to add to the game, keep it out of the game completely.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 12:18:34
Link | Citer | R

Why do people like to play simulation 'games' or drool over how realistic a fighter/fps is?
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 12:48:18
Link | Citer | R

Well, in Halo you can fire 100,000 rounds from a Warthog turret and not worry about the barrels overheating either, which isn't realistic, while the same game has an overcharge/overheat function on the plasma weapons.

So there's a mix of realism and falsity in the same game.

I'm not saying that I "hope" for repairs and wearout, but I'm saying that if they did choose to implement it, I'd "welcome" it. There's a difference.

In history, a Samurai treasured their blade with a reverence. They knew its importance in their way of life. It would be nice to see someone in game have a Hagun and hit for crap because they didn't care enough to keep their blade sharp, where someone with a lesser weapon but a keener sense of dedication and skill could close some of the gap.
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-11 12:50:44
Link | Citer | R

Aramina said:

In history, a Samurai treasured their blade with a reverence. They knew its importance in their way of life. It would be nice to see someone in game have a Hagun and hit for crap because they didn't care enough to keep their blade sharp, where someone with a lesser weapon but a keener sense of dedication and skill could close some of the gap.

word
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 12:56:54
Link | Citer | R

Most games, the weapons don't actually get weaker w/o repair though. It's just once that durability hits 0, the weapon/armor is useless. I haven't played any MMO's that the weapon is actually stronger when fully repaired, only games like Fallout 3 and the Elder Scrolls games did things like that as far as i know.
First Page 2 3 4