Forum » FFXIV » Suggestions » Repairs
Repairs
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:52:58
Link | Citer | R

*Shrugs.* I guess they don't see it as necessary.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:55:00
Link | Citer | R

Ludoggy said:
but of course they wont ban price fixers >.>

Not a bannable offense.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-11 13:57:39
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Anyone has the ability to do it, unfortunately RMT have no lives and the gil to do so before anyone else so they're the dominate price fixers. That's just life, and it sucks.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:58:06
Link | Citer | R

It definitely adds up. As for the 30 Dynas per day... I'd say that's a little much. Even now (the zones are the most crowded they've ever been from my experience) the most we have per day on Fairy for NA/EU shells is ~8 per day. Add in another 10 or so from JP shells and that's not even 20 runs.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-11 14:01:40
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I'm on the fence about the whole armor repair things. Would be alot easier and more satisfying for everyone to not have to worry about another form of costly upkeep but, frankly I'm all for realism in a fantasy game. Otherwise it's just candy coated eye candy with no substance.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 14:02:24
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
SE will do whatever they deem necessary to attempt to control the economy.

No player to player gil transactions, economy *** fixed. Done.

The players are the ones that *** up the economy. Not SE. RMT price fixing, greedy impatient PC's undercutting, market monopolization...

We cause all our own problems. If SE wants to really CONTROL the economy, that is the only real way they could do it. Adjusting NPC prices will never be a real control because the market just adapts and the same ***happens again at a different level.

Anyways, with the armor/weapon repair, like I said, realism be damned, I think it'd be too easy for some dipshit to not do their freaking job correctly and cost ME gil. If your tank is a complete retard, and you end up taking hate every 2 seconds, and your armor now has 5 times the normal expected repair bil, you're gonna prolly be a little testy, right?

I see lots of screaming matches after parties, "THANKS A LOT *** NOW GOTTA SPEND 15K FIXING MY ***CUZ YOU'RE A *** IDIOT!!!!!"

Doesn't sound fun at all to me. If I have to spend gil on something, I want the reasons to purely sit on my shoulders, not other people.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 14:06:07
Link | Citer | R

*Shrugs.* I never had any problem with repairing anything whether a tank was good or not. If I have to repair something, oh well.

Manage your hate better so you're not taking hate off the tank and you wouldn't have that problem. :P

Or... Just play a pet job and solo. lol
 Odin.Aramina
Serveur: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 14:08:17
Link | Citer | R

Wouldn't be as bad if you could repair it yourself, though. And higher end stuff should have a lot more durability.

Especially R/E stuff.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 14:08:58
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
*Shrugs.* I never had any problem with repairing anything whether a tank was good or not. If I have to repair something, oh well.

Manage your hate better so you're not taking hate off the tank and you wouldn't have that problem. :P

Or... Just play a pet job and solo. lol

What if your tank sucks? It happens...

Point is, that's gonna encourage people NOT to think from a party perspective, and only their own. It'll be like "Hey look, that guys getting his *** kicked...***, I only have 500g because I spent all my money on my new sword, I better not voke because I can't afford to repair my ***"

Dude dies.

I'm not saying it'll be an all the time thing, but you know and I know how *** selfish people can be in these types of games...and I see a lot of people saying "EFF THAT!!!!" when it comes to them doing something that may cost them an extra couple k...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 14:11:48
Link | Citer | R

Aramina said:
Wouldn't be as bad if you could repair it yourself, though. And higher end stuff should have a lot more durability.

Especially R/E stuff.

Better be like my ebisus rod... I raged everytime my lu shang's broke
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 14:12:03
Link | Citer | R

It's all about the person. I've never had any problem taking hate and repairing a bit more if it means it's better for the well-being of the group.

Plus, I keep myself at a very nice buffer of in-game currency so I can afford unexpected expenses.

Most 'responsible' people don't go spend all their paycheck on something. They instead save some of it in case they need it for something.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 14:16:00
Link | Citer | R

You mean like bringing Echo Drops to a party in the Mire?

I digress...

Yes, that could be an issue in an MMO, but SE has mentioned a less team-required setup for XIV compared to XI.

Besides, when it comes to team/group efforts, I'd much rather do it with people I know and trust. That way when they screw up or get my killed, or waste a pop set because they were cheap or inattentive, or disregarded instructions, I can be waiting in their Mog House...
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 14:17:47
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
It's all about the person. I've never had any problem taking hate and repairing a bit more if it means it's better for the well-being of the group.

Plus, I keep myself at a very nice buffer of in-game currency so I can afford unexpected expenses.

Most 'responsible' people don't go spend all their paycheck on something. They instead save some of it in case they need it for something.

I'll agree with you about the responsible ***, but honestly, I just don't see it as much as I used to. I know a lot of people that are pretty *** broke *** 99% of the time.

And ESPECIALLY if your "skills" are going to be weapon and gear based and such in FFXIV, and not exp based, you know people are going to be blowing their wad on new equipment constantly. The E-peen factor is very high with this group...
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 14:21:57
Link | Citer | R

Would be nice to see something where we were a little more forced to be specialized, too.

A guild/linkshell could have a member who was a skilled armorer although maybe not a good combatant. They could contribute by keeping everyone's stuff squared away.

Although I love having 6 level 75 jobs, I sometimes wonder what if I had only one, how much more I could have pimped it out. Heck, I probably would have less issues with merits if I wasn't spreading 250+ of them across 2 characters and 6 jobs.

Back on Hydra (360 beta world), I ran a social which later transferred to Odin, and one of the things I wanted was crafters of all types to server our members, so I actually camped guilds around the world and recruited them. It was nice knowing that we had in-house leathercraft, woodworkers, smiths, etc. It was to the point that sometimes I'd help fund their endeavors out of LS funds, kind of like a student loan.

Obviously, when we all transferred to a full server, and there were already 100+3 people there, which we couldn't match, that all was for naught, but it was a great idea.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 14:22:30
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:

Perhaps you don't realize how few people are responsible like that. The vast majority of people I know in real life often live paycheck to paycheck and in some cases off of next paycheck now. Now sure you start getting older say 30ish and it gets better but yeah look at the mean age that plays this. Our society promotes spending all your money plus some. It usually takes alot of hard knocks and dissapointment to make people think
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-11 14:33:27
Link | Citer | R

Yea that's another point #2 gave, doing a NM/mission/quest/etc. and got a full pt and the tank loses hate or dies, kills you from hate also, and you can't zone cause people want no zones, and now you gotta pay for your equipment to be repaired cause of someone else's mistake or even aggro.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 14:39:24
Link | Citer | R

I lost focus when they started talking about living paycheck to paycheck. ***, more people that I know than not live a paycheck or two ahead in RL.

My roommate constantly is buying crap on credit when he can barely keep up with payments on stuff he already has on credit. When we ran out of heating oil toward the end of the winter, I just got my blanket and let his *** shiver. Hopefully he had a long, cold thought about fiscal management.

Fortunately people don't often get to buy things on "credit" in game, unless they borrow from an LS Bank or friends, but that tends to be fairly uncommon, and sometimes linked to the player warnings that we see, like "so and so borrowed 10M from ls bank to finish relic and then server hopped" type stuff.

Besides, I pay in EXP for people's *** ups all the time in game, and since there won't be EXP in XIV, I expect that I'll pay for it in some fashion.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 14:40:48
Link | Citer | R

So, we should emphasize those poor values within a virtual world as well? Maybe it would get these younger players used to the idea that you need to perform regular maintenance on things to keep them running how they should.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 14:44:23
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
So, we should emphasize those poor values within a virtual world as well? Maybe it would get these younger players used to the idea that you need to perform regular maintenance on things to keep them running how they should.

Well if this is a whole big realism kick sure why not take it all the way? And I'll be damned if I have a game trying to impose it's ideals and morals on me even if I agree with them. If I wanted that I'd play this...http://ps2.ign.com/objects/746/746738.html
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 14:46:19
Link | Citer | R

There's a significant difference between a religion based game and helping society learn responsible spending and planning.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 14:50:15
Link | Citer | R

Just different morals to learn. Besides responsible spending is exactly what companies don't want. So why would a major company teach this?
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 14:51:23
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:

Or, and I think this is more likely, they'll just "LOL" and keep doing whatever the *** they wanna do anyways. I'm sure you've experienced those people, that you tell them time and time again what they should be doing, they say "Yeah" and then continue to do what you told them was wrong...

At any rate, I don't mind helping people out. I don't mind giving advice to newer players. I don't mind spending time, or even a little gil, helping out people. But I DO mind not having a choice in the matter. And unfortunately, having to repair weapons and armor after every exp party, you really don't have a choice. Granted, the new game is supposed to be more solo based, and that's good...but I'm SURE that the most efficient exping will be party based. That's what FF has always been about.

What about all those people that won't even fix their ***? The ones that'll just use the axe that has 1DPS anyways because it's all *** up and they didn't wanna spend the money? The tank that didn't feel like fixing their gear and is now taking so much damage they might as well be a mage? There's plenty of people out there that could really care less how much more difficult they are making someone else's experience. I've had plenty of times where other people's ineptitude made me wanna log the *** out, because I couldn't take it anymore...and I'm sure we've all had those moments.

The responsible people shouldn't have to suffer that ***...it brings all of us down to that level.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 14:52:31
Link | Citer | R

Well, would be nice if they'd learn it somewhere. I lived out of my (beatup old) car for about 4 months and was living paycheck to paycheck for a while during that time, sometime around age 18-19.

It's not fun to get sick and know that you have to go to work anyway because you don't get paid if you don't go in, and if you don't go in, you get no money and have no food.

Anyway, I worked my butt out of that and now I always make sure I have a good "rainy day" fund set aside. I am much the same way in-game, where I have my personal "poverty" line that I really try like hell to stay above. If there's something I want to buy that would drive me below the line, I save up enough to get it without getting below the line.

There are a lot of great RL lessons you can learn through a game like FFXI if you are willing to see them for that, and maintaining your equipment and honing your skills are two things that translate directly into RL.

At 31, I'm not exactly old in my LS, and I'm not a youngun either. We have a good mix, but a lot of the people in there are 25-40.

Failure of so many of our youth to learn these types of lessons, and failure of their parents to teach them these things, are very much related to the economic shitstorm that we are in the midst of in many places around the world.

If I had something and I broke it as a kid, my parents didn't just run out and give me a new one, even though they could have afforded it. Heck, I rarely got new things just handed to me without having to work for them to some degree. I financed my NES in 1987 with a paper route, mowing lawns, raking leaves, shoveling snow, etc.

You can bet if it broke, I wasn't getting another one, so I took care of it.'

I don't mind having that kind of depth and substance in a game, and I'd probably enjoy playing a lot more if there were a balance of depth/substance with ease of use that encouraged the lazier players to play something else. That way the people who were left were more of my cut of cloth.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 14:56:26
Link | Citer | R

And #2, unfortunately, you are right and have a very valid point about jack-holes just not giving a crap about anyone but themselves.

My feelings and the similar feelings of my officers is what made my social LS very strong, but kept it fairly small (maybe 15-20 people max at any time). Most of those people don't even play anymore, and the LS ceased to exist over 2 years ago, but we all still stay in touch in RL. Everyone contributed, everyone held up their end, or they were let no in no uncertain terms where the door was and that they were welcome to leave.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 14:57:40
Link | Citer | R

Aramina said:
Well, would be nice if they'd learn it somewhere. I lived out of my (beatup old) car for about 4 months and was living paycheck to paycheck for a while during that time, sometime around age 18-19.

It's not fun to get sick and know that you have to go to work anyway because you don't get paid if you don't go in, and if you don't go in, you get no money and have no food.

Anyway, I worked my butt out of that and now I always make sure I have a good "rainy day" fund set aside. I am much the same way in-game, where I have my personal "poverty" line that I really try like hell to stay above. If there's something I want to buy that would drive me below the line, I save up enough to get it without getting below the line.

There are a lot of great RL lessons you can learn through a game like FFXI if you are willing to see them for that, and maintaining your equipment and honing your skills are two things that translate directly into RL.

At 31, I'm not exactly old in my LS, and I'm not a youngun either. We have a good mix, but a lot of the people in there are 25-40.

Failure of so many of our youth to learn these types of lessons, and failure of their parents to teach them these things, are very much related to the economic shitstorm that we are in the midst of in many places around the world.

If I had something and I broke it as a kid, my parents didn't just run out and give me a new one, even though they could have afforded it. Heck, I rarely got new things just handed to me without having to work for them to some degree. I financed my NES in 1987 with a paper route, mowing lawns, raking leaves, shoveling snow, etc.

You can bet if it broke, I wasn't getting another one, so I took care of it.'

I don't mind having that kind of depth and substance in a game, and I'd probably enjoy playing a lot more if there were a balance of depth/substance with ease of use that encouraged the lazier players to play something else. That way the people who were left were more of my cut of cloth.

This ^

Seriously, you guys *** and moan about people wanting EASY games and not having to WORK for things, then you tell them to go play WoW b/c it's easier and people accomplish things at a faster rate.

I "will" laugh so hard when FFXIV comes out and you have to repair your weapon and/or armor.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 15:00:33
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
I "will" laugh so hard when FFXIV comes out and you have to repair your weapon and/or armor.

And I'm gonna laugh pretty hard when you have to play musical parties because the "I don't give a ***" factor is so high that you're leaking gil every time you group in armor/weapon repairs.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 15:04:17
Link | Citer | R

O.oa
*Holds out his hand.*
Hi, my name's Travis and I avoid parties at all costs. It's nice to meet you.

I would MUCH rather solo or duo/trio with close friends than join a group for something. >.>
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 15:09:36
Link | Citer | R

I had friend who had bunch of jobs at 10 or so who wanted to form "Dunes Parties" and I convinced him that forming effective duo/trio/cuatro setups and mixing FoV with chaining T-VT mobs and EXP Bands was the way to victory.

Got him 3 jobs from 10-37 in about 2 weeks.

Would much rather do stuff with smaller, well pout together groups than with more people where a few are mostly leeching.

Granted, I never had to sharpen his daggers or katanas during that time >.>
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 15:13:34
Link | Citer | R

Hey, if it works for you, that's cool.

I stand by what I said, most people aren't gonna give a ***about the people around them. ESPECIALLY if there's a viable solo element to this game. If there's no reason for peeps to work together, they usually won't...it's human nature.

Not that there aren't the nice peeps out there, of course there are. But, for instance, after my teeth grinding experiences in Zi'Tah the other day, doing the 10 flies, 2 Goobbue regime...and having everyone pretty much give me the finger and not let me get the 2 *** goobs I needed, even after EXPLAINING to them that I wasn't trying to steal their *** drops and ***...I just needed 2 FFS. Yeah, 75 Dragoon, 60 something THF, a couple others...they couldn't *** care less.

Yeah, my opinion of the general public, especially in an MMO with the anonymous factor, is pretty low.

So, hopefully it all works out. If people can repair their own ***, so much the better.

But....what if the have a repair function, but it has a time restraint? Your chest piece needs to be fixed, but guess what, the more *** up it is, the longer IRL it's gonna take to fix it. Took hate and died? Now you can't do ***until JP midnight while it's getting repaired. THAT would be more realistic, right?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-11 15:13:34
Link | Citer | R

And say you got a party that lasted a few hours...Are you guys going to stop and say hey I gotta go repair my equipment real quick. I can imagine Monk breaking H2H weapon from Hundred Fists. >.>