Forum » FFXIV » Suggestions » Repairs
Repairs
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:00:41
Link | Citer | R

/sigh Whats with this obsession with makin something unrealistic realistic? Realistic is boring. Even though it's about an movie I think this maddox quote fits... and I'll keep using it!!!
"You know what's another word for realistic? Boring. If I wanted realism, I'd walk down the street to get Mexican food, and maybe stop by a Borders and pick up some magazines. You know why they don't make movies about me shopping for magazines? That's because nobody gives a ***. And that's what Quantum of Solace is: me shopping for magazines, with no Mexican food. I don't see movies for realism"
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:02:36
Link | Citer | R

So, does that mean that FFXIV shouldn't incorporate it because other games haven't?

Yeah, we know you all don't want it incorporated in the game. But...

The only reasons I'm hearing are:
- - If I wanted it to be realistic, I'd go do something irl.
- - I don't want to have to keep wasting money on it.
- - I don't want to have to pay to repair something when it's someone else's fault that it's damaged.

In other words... You want fantasy, you're cheap, and you get pissed when someone's not doing their "job".
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-11 13:04:48
Link | Citer | R

and the only reasons I'm hearing from you is.
"They have it in WoW<333"
"Realisim is the best!"
"I get jealous of noobs having better weapons then me and I want it to break on them!"
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:05:36
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
In other words... You want fantasy, you're cheap, and you get pissed when someone's not doing their "job".

Ironic that your finding something wrong with people wanting fantasy in final fantasy
[+]
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
user: Nixie
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 13:05:57
Link | Citer | R

Ludoggy said:
"They have it in PWI<333" <<< FIXED
"Realisim is the best!"
"I get jealous of noobs having better weapons then me and I want it to break on them!"

Besides, i think the three reasons Tbest listed as a sarcastic slap to the face are actually VERY good reasons not to incorporate this. If it's a pain in the ***, costly, and just a tedious part of real life that doesn't really fit into the "fun" of a game... then why bother with it?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:07:26
Link | Citer | R

Ludoggy said:
"They have it in WoW<333"
"Realisim is the best!"

Lol well put
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:09:46
Link | Citer | R

Where did I say it was wrong?

I only said that those are the reasons I've seen.

And Lu, try 'actual' reasons that have been listed, not BS like your other 7k+ posts.
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 13:11:01
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
And Lu, try 'actual' reasons that have been listed, not BS like your other 7k+ posts.

He actually DID post reasons that have been used in this thread.... The only thing is, he reworded them the same as you did.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-11 13:12:37
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Where did I say it was wrong?

I only said that those are the reasons I've seen.

awww BAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW TT_TT
QQQQQQ
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:14:11
Link | Citer | R

Anarkissed said:
Ludoggy said:
"They have it in PWI<333" <<< FIXED
"Realisim is the best!"

Besides, i think the three reasons Tbest listed as a sarcastic slap to the face are actually VERY good reasons not to incorporate this. If it's a pain in the ***, costly, and just a tedious part of real life that doesn't really fit into the "fun" of a game... then why bother with it?

So, let's think for a moment. Why would other game makers put this 'feature' into their game? Perhaps they see it as a way of balancing the game out and removing in-game currency from circulation. Remember the days before the FFXI recession when everyone had millions upon millions?

Though... When you think about it... A lot of the opinions here 'do' reflect our consumer society.
What's that?
Your TV broke? You've had those clothes for 6 months?
No worries, get new stuff!
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-11 13:15:23
Link | Citer | R

Ewwww realistic stuff in my fantasy? Grosssssssssss.
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 13:16:25
Link | Citer | R

Consumer society has nothing to do with this. Do you repair your sword and plate mail irl? Lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:18:36
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
So, let's think for a moment. Why would other game makers put this 'feature' into their game? Perhaps they see it as a way of balancing the game out and removing in-game currency from circulation. Remember the days before the FFXI recession when everyone had millions upon millions?
Though... When you think about it... A lot of the opinions here 'do' reflect our consumer society.
What's that?
Your TV broke? You've had those clothes for 6 months?
No worries, get new stuff!

Correcting unchecked inflation is not a recession which was completely caused by RMT action anyways. And if you want it go to those games. Leave at least a 1 or 2 for those of us that don't k? And for that matter this concept would do more for promoting your consumer society. At least now people can save up and keep stuff. But if it keeps breaking... and look at the reason people actually just buy new again. It's usually cheaper in the long run either straight money wise or the time and effort to fix. Can so see this happening in game especially if we try to make it realistic like you peeps want
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-11 13:19:03
Link | Citer | R

Even in real life.
You break a knife. You get a new one, or another one. You do not repair that thing. You repair cars, electricity, water stuffs, etc.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-11 13:19:53
Link | Citer | R

Haseyo said:
Even in real life.
You break a knife. You get a new one, or another one. You do not repair that thing. You repair cars, electricity, water stuffs, etc.

ummmm...when you spend a few hundred dollars on a french chefs knife...you bet your *** you repair it yourself >.>
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:21:00
Link | Citer | R

Anarkissed said:
Consumer society has nothing to do with this. Do you repair your sword and plate mail irl? Lol.

If I was using my katana and it was getting dull, of course I'd get it sharpened. I take very good care of my things.

Sure, repairing noob lvl 1 gear isn't going to matter, most of that stuff just isn't worth repairing. But, repairing your best armor/weapons, that just makes sense.

Also... I can see SE putting this into the game just for the fact that your character's development will be based largely around your weapon(s).
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-11 13:22:26
Link | Citer | R

I'd be damned to pay over hundred dollars for a knife.
 Odin.Aramina
Serveur: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 13:22:47
Link | Citer | R

Anarkissed said:

The thing is that some people get "fun" out of a mixture of realism with their fantasy.

Look at flying games: People play Microsofts Flight Sims where you have to do all of the little nitpicky things that really matter. Then other people want to play where you just get in and fly and shoot stuff.

Driving games: Some you have to change your tires, put fuel in the car, your car performance degrades as you take damage and the aerodynamics are affected (whoa... similar concept), and other games you just get in and go.

I prefer a little more depth in my games. That's part of why I like a game like FFXI compared to a button masher. Sure, there are times where I want to just do something simple and all, and I have games for that, but I'd rather get involved.

If a NASCAR driver has to worry about their Aero package in what is for all intents and purposes a "sports" game, why is it ridiculous for people to want to have to maintain their armor and weapons in a Role-Playing Fantasy game.

I'm not 100% in agreement with any one person here, but I hear a whole lot of "Oh, I just got post count +1 for not contributing anything to the discussion" and "I just don't feel like it" going on.

Trust me, I love knowing that I can hack and slash away at crap all day long and never have to spend a single gil to maintain my gear, but to me, if they added a feature like that, it would just weed out more of the people I probably don't want to play with anyway.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-11 13:24:29
Link | Citer | R

But what about a staff that maybe blm only nukes in, doesn't DD, you wanna repair something that wasn't even being used?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:26:23
Link | Citer | R

Well... In PWI (yes I referenced PWI again, get over it) if you cast a spell, your weapon doesn't get damaged. I could just fire off spells to farm and never worry about repairing anything because I never hit anything or got hit (since the mobs die before they get close).
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-11 13:26:36
Link | Citer | R

Maybe the little crystal ball on the staff can...crack? :o
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 13:28:14
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
But what about a staff that maybe blm only nukes in, doesn't DD, you wanna repair something that wasn't even being used?

Well, magical energy is probably channeled through it :P But yea, the whole repair concept is just a waste IMO.

As far as repairing removing gil from the economy.... Why would they need it? In FFXI they had MANY ways to remove gil. Ever rent a chocobo, take an airship... or the big one, enter Dynamis? Until recently it was 1 mil a pop. That money doesnt come back. People can sell the currency they get for OTHER gil, but the 1 mil entry fee is 100% gone from the game.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:35:42
Link | Citer | R

The average player already removes alot more gil from the economy then they add easy. Mostly cause adding to gil to the economy is often tedious long and unprofitable.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:37:14
Link | Citer | R

Anarkissed said:
Alyria said:

Well, magical energy is probably channeled through it :P But yea, the whole repair concept is just a waste IMO.

As far as repairing removing gil from the economy.... Why would they need it? In FFXI they had MANY ways to remove gil. Ever rent a chocobo, take an airship... or the big one, enter Dynamis? Until recently it was 1 mil a pop. That money doesnt come back. People can sell the currency they get for OTHER gil, but the 1 mil entry fee is 100% gone from the game.

So, I take it you weren't around when renting a chocobo could cost you 10000 gil?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:39:01
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Anarkissed said:
Alyria said:

So, I take it you weren't around when renting a chocobo could cost you 10000 gil?

Only the tele ones really got that high. Some jeunos got like maybe half that. The real question why are you furthering her point when your against it?
 Odin.Aramina
Serveur: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 13:40:22
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure they'd have to work that stuff out if they added it. In Elder Scrolls, your bow wore out very very slowly if you only just shot it, although it was related to your strength.

However, if you got into melee combat, your bow could take more damage. Perhaps something similar could work for magical items.

(In Morrowind) I once did some crazy alchemy experiements (thank god I had a backup save) and made a STR potion that made me so strong that I could one shot just about anything, but one shot would break my bow. Obviously something like that would need balancing.

Now as far as the mythical $100+ chef knife...

You get what you pay for. The more expensive ones cut with better precision and hold an edge longer, requiring less sharpening over their life. In the long term, the investment may well be less than buying several cheaper knives.

In-game, that would make sense as compared to something like the fishing rods as they exist in FFXI, where certain ones are more durable and capable than others. The weapons lack this depth.

Would I be able to cut through the same armor with a Bronze Sword as with one made of Adaman? Not likely, or at least not as many times.

A function like this could have a profound effect on the crafting community, too, since lower level "cheap" gear would possibly not be economically feasible to repair and would be better to just replace.

It's like buying a Snap-On tool versus buying a "Made in China" special. One costs 5 times as much, but works better, lasts longer, and hey, you even get a follow-up service.
 Ramuh.Anarkissed
By Ramuh.Anarkissed 2009-06-11 13:43:48
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Anarkissed said:
Alyria said:

Ummm... I was. Though i don't recall them ever reaching 10k. I know Mea was almost always at 7-8k cuz of sky. What did i say that lead you to this conclusion?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 13:48:12
Link | Citer | R

Anarkissed said:
Ummm... I was. Though i don't recall them ever reaching 10k. I know Mea was almost always at 7-8k cuz of sky. What did i say that lead you to this conclusion?

My guess justing trying to find something to use against you to discredit your opinion... don't worry it's normal for him not just you.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 13:49:13
Link | Citer | R

My point was... They let the costs get so high because there was a massive amount of gil in the game and that was one of their ways of removing it.

Since the overall level of gil has decreased, they've reduced Dyna/Limbus costs as well as chocobo prices and have eliminated the tax in Jeuno / reduced the cost of listing items on the AH.

SE will do whatever they deem necessary to attempt to control the economy.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-11 13:52:15
Link | Citer | R

but of course they wont ban price fixers >.>