Improved 'Check' System
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Siren.Narayan
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 14:50:58
Link | Citer | R

Seriously, I shouldn't have to manually check ***. Other games handled this with a color coding system of threat, nuetral, & too weak pretty much and some took it further with extra icon indicators to show the varying toughness within the catagories. I guess EQ2 had a decent one. Was something like red was tough and two upward triangles indicated high defense and high evasion. (For some reason I am going brain dead on FF12s aggro/check system....)

Cause you sure as hell know you wouldn't walk into Davoi at lv 4 when all the Orcs around you are named red++ but you're more than likely going to beat on that rabbit that is blue-+ or that worm that's green-- right outside the city.

I wouldnt mind it being an adaptive system where a monster is unknown in difficulty until an actual encounter.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 14:54:20
Link | Citer | R

Thats just laziness in a bottle!!!
 Cerberus.Nieko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-06-10 14:55:56
Link | Citer | R

Dasva said:

I agree.
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-10 14:56:49
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, PWI had a similar system as well.

I believe there were slight variations on name colors and then a little icon on their info bar that stated what lvl they were / whether they were charmable.
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 14:57:05
Link | Citer | R

So you'd start a bar fight with an ex-marine built like a brick house? I know for god damn sure he would show up as red++ for me lol... tho his girl might be easy prey >.>
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-10 14:58:01
Link | Citer | R

But... You'd also be able to tell by looking at him if he was strong. Looks can be deceiving too. :P
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 15:01:00
Link | Citer | R

Narayan said:
So you'd start a bar fight with an ex-marine built like a brick house? I know for god damn sure he would show up as red++ for me lol... tho his girl might be easy prey >.>

I dont start bar fights... and if I did I would certainly /check first. But since I'm a rdm I think I'd win... eventually. Now his girl being easy... that is promising
[+]
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 15:02:05
Link | Citer | R

Thus the visual queues in the game not a manual process of /check <t>. You instantly know what is bad for you, what is good for you, and what is prolly questionable but sure as hell is tastey and will make your legs wet noodles!
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-10 15:04:53
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I wouldn't mind one of ~ 7 different icons near the mob's name when you select it (TW/EP/DC/EM/T/VT/IT/ITG)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 15:06:15
Link | Citer | R

Is it really taht hard to /check before you fight something you haven't before and have no knowledge of? For that matter its pretty much just a straight lvl comparision with a small comparision of your att to its def and acc to evasion. Which is often a horrible way of determining weather or not you can actualy beat something. You should just figure it out yourself and stop making this into a WoW game. Also could the PS2 even handle that?
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 15:07:49
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind one of ~ 7 different icons near the mob's name when you select it (TW/EP/DC/EM/T/VT/IT/ITG)

That can easily be split into 3 catagories:

TW/EP
DC/EM/T
VT/IT/ITG

or even:
TW
EP/DC/EM
T/VT/IT

With ITG being a special catagory... since it is one.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-10 15:09:24
Link | Citer | R

I'm hoping you'd be able to tell what is good for you and what is bad without having to /check.
*walks in to zone and see a dragon bigger then an airship*
OH THATS GOTTA BE EASY PREY!
*pokes with knife*
[+]
 Fairy.Bruser
user: gorteg3
By Fairy.Bruser 2009-06-10 15:09:42
Link | Citer | R

all the colors would seem unnatural?
wouldn't look visually pleasing.
I /check mobs so much, I do it out of habit on everything! lol.
I do not mind the /check.
[+]
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 15:09:49
Link | Citer | R

This is for FF14, *** the PS2 lol No more "we cant do that cause the PS2 limits us" excuses from SE lol. Now its "we cant do that cause it'll cause your PS3 to freeze or your 360 to RRoD"
 Cerberus.Nieko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-06-10 15:11:52
Link | Citer | R

it takes 2 seconds to check something and most of the time when i check a mob i'm too far from it to notice if its name is light blue or light green. Hell often in sky or exp i turn the names off completely. I know what I'm looking for.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-10 15:12:10
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't say have the icons/colors on the mob's name. Just have a small icon near it's name when you select it, you know on the bottom/mid right side of the screen.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-06-10 15:12:28
Link | Citer | R

Why not make this simple...

Say you're out running around on your toon, and zomg you run into a bunny!

At this point 1 of 2 icons would be visible hoveringover the mob... make it a big neon sign maybe...

KILL or RUNAWAY

Seriously... does the game have to stoop to the level of wow for some folks?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 15:12:43
Link | Citer | R

I still revert to my earlier statement
Dasva said:

It looks tacky and it aint that hard to /check. Though really I wouldn't use in game ratings as anything more then a guideline. Experience use it
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 15:13:39
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
I wouldn't say have the icons/colors on the mob's name. Just have a small icon near it's name when you select it, you know on the bottom/mid right side of the screen.

yar
 Odin.Karusan
Serveur: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-10 18:54:26
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget you're saying this based on being experienced players in the FFXI world. Who out of all of you knew the /check mobs before you started fighting them from day 1?

From a new players perspective, colour coding represents something, red = bad, blue = not bad. At that point it doesn't mean people can't do a check on the mob to see information about it but it stops players running in going "WEEEEEE".

Also there's less specific information on "why" a mob will attack, sight/sound/true etc.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 18:57:36
Link | Citer | R

Thats the whole part about learning the game and getting better. Easier does not equal better
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-10 19:01:04
Link | Citer | R

Dasva said:
Thats the whole part about learning the game and getting better. Easier does not equal better

^
 Odin.Karusan
Serveur: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-10 19:06:59
Link | Citer | R

More information does not equal easier. You're seriously saying that having to press 2 buttons is harder than visual prompts? I would say it's more annoying than hard when it's still going to give me the same information.
[+]
 Sylph.Lalo
Serveur: Sylph
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-06-10 19:20:04
Link | Citer | R

After playing this game for a while, you should already know how tough an enemy is in one zone. For example a you would not try to fight Some bats in Garlaige citadel as level 20. You know that you need a pt of lvl 30+ or 29+ to be able to beat the bats. The coloring just seems unnecessary and childish.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 19:27:32
Link | Citer | R

I say visual aid is silly, tacky, and very prechool.
[+]
 Remora.Narrubia
Serveur: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-06-10 19:46:22
Link | Citer | R

Dasva said:
I say visual aid is silly, tacky, and very prechool.

While this may be true, I have my doubts that many people would enjoy it if text color-coding were completely removed from FFXI. I do agree with the general consensus, however, that providing visual aid for enemy difficulty is unnecessary - it's fairly easy to check enemies and see their strength, and color-coding them would look tacky and would probably cause more confusion than good.
 Leviathan.Alyssiah
Serveur: Leviathan
user:
By Leviathan.Alyssiah 2009-06-10 19:49:00
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Karusan said:
Don't forget you're saying this based on being experienced players in the FFXI world. Who out of all of you knew the /check mobs before you started fighting them from day 1?

From a new players perspective, colour coding represents something, red = bad, blue = not bad. At that point it doesn't mean people can't do a check on the mob to see information about it but it stops players running in going "WEEEEEE".

Also there's less specific information on "why" a mob will attack, sight/sound/true etc.

I read the manual. I knew what the *** to do. >_>
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-10 19:54:26
Link | Citer | R

Ok so it'll be..
Red for aggro. Pink for too weak, Light red for Easy prey, bland red for Even match. Dark red for tough, Darker Red for VT, VERY VERY dark red for IT. Black tinted red for IMPOSIBLE TO GAUGE.

Then blue...light blue...etc.

Then there will be a gay Ear next to it if it tracks sound, an eye for sight, and a nose for scent. a magic book for spells, a pic of a guy doing a backflip for job abilitys, a pic of someone bleeding to death for blood aggro. Abunch of people holding hands for links, a pic of a swinging sword for aggros weapon skills, a ZZZ pic with a sun in the back for it sleeps during the day, a ZZZ with a pic of the moon in the back for sleeps at night Then add a T in everything thats true sight.

Then we gotta make a big neon sign for CLAIMED.
and Call for help? !!!!!!!HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!! in bright yellow all over your screen.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Serveur: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-10 19:55:56
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

then lud gets some color strokes

and iz seisuring on the floor w/o its spelled
First Page 2 3 4 5