hi2u
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 06:59:34
Link | Citer | R

Saxonn, yes, but we're talking about things we want as standard for FFXIV. I really hope to not have to rely on external programs for FFXIV. While having that as standard certainly would be an option for FFXIV, I don't want to be given all of that information right off the bat. I should have to earn that info, for more info, read my previous post :p
 Ramuh.Whypaul
Serveur: Ramuh
user: whypaul
By Ramuh.Whypaul 2009-06-11 08:57:06
Link | Citer | R

Sorry, i prefer the currect check system, it takes 2 seconds to check something.

Where as a colour system would just make it very difficult for myself and quite a few other people. I'm colourblind, i have difficulty playing FPS games sometimes (halo in particular). In addition the colour chart of spells, (the dot next to a spell such as Slow) i find very difficult to use, I cannot determine what the spell element is based without looking it up.

A colour coding "threat" level would just make things even more confusing for people with the same problem. I'd prefer it to just stay the same.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 08:57:55
Link | Citer | R

Kyri said:
In PW the red names come in pretty handy because well, I havent played it for years like FF and im still pretty new. I think something simular to this would be very helpful to newer players. But then again, in FFXI unlike PW, you dont run outside a city beside a bunch of lv 6 things then run smack dead into ones that are 50+

lol... Yeah. I never understood that. You'd think they'd only have the tougher mobs in the dungeons and near the edges of the maps... Not near the city. I admit, they nearly killed me on my Venomancer. >.>
*Walks along pwning all the surrounding mobs.* Ooh, that looks cool. Chaaarrrrge! O.O Why does it the name red...? lvl.. 50...? Retreeeaaat!
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 09:05:23
Link | Citer | R

Whypaul said:
Sorry, i prefer the currect check system, it takes 2 seconds to check something.

Where as a colour system would just make it very difficult for myself and quite a few other people. I'm colourblind, i have difficulty playing FPS games sometimes (halo in particular). In addition the colour chart of spells, (the dot next to a spell such as Slow) i find very difficult to use, I cannot determine what the spell element is based without looking it up.

A colour coding "threat" level would just make things even more confusing for people with the same problem. I'd prefer it to just stay the same.

Unfortunately you can't expect game companies to think of the colour blind when making their games. But I agree, I don't want a whole rainbow of different colours all over my screen.

This may or may not help you, both in FFXI and in FFXIV, but I believe it's possible to change those little coloured dot logos with .dat swaps. You could change the simple coloured dots to letters or logos that make sense to you or something.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 09:12:47
Link | Citer | R

A libra/scan spell/ability would be nice. The Monster Encyclopedia within the game would be useful as well. Several FF's/DQ's have had it, there wouldn't be any harm in adding it to FFXIV. Also, if you used libra/scan the info acquired would automatically be added to your database within the game. And for those people without libra/scan that info could fill out gradually as others have mentioned.

However... If this were the case, I'd want mobs to be the same level for a given type of mob. No more 2+ level range for certain mobs. All tunnel worms would be lvl 2, all wild rabbits would be lvl 2... There's really no reason to have varying level ranges for mobs imo.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 09:22:31
Link | Citer | R

Getting a little derailed with libra here, leave this thread for targeting and continue this discussion here :)
 Siren.Narayan
Serveur: Siren
user: Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-11 13:11:22
Link | Citer | R

any time someone chimes in with a "dont change ff11!!" comment not considering this is a forum for ff14 suggestion/wishlists the thread gets derailed.
 Ramuh.Whypaul
user: whypaul
By Ramuh.Whypaul 2009-06-11 18:05:18
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:

Unfortunately you can't expect game companies to think of the colour blind when making their games. But I agree, I don't want a whole rainbow of different colours all over my screen.

This may or may not help you, both in FFXI and in FFXIV, but I believe it's possible to change those little coloured dot logos with .dat swaps. You could change the simple coloured dots to letters or logos that make sense to you or something.

i know companies cant just think of colourblind people i understand that. However to change the current system that works completely fine to something that could potentially spoil the game for 10% of its population i find the problem with. Its hard to explain where i'm coming from i suppose as each person sees something slightly different. ahh well.
 Ramuh.Yasko
user: Yasko
By Ramuh.Yasko 2009-06-11 18:30:15
Link | Citer | R

what if it was based off auras? Color spectrum/brightness-darkness, and maybe even some variable deep heavy pulsating controller feedback as you get near enemies that are really hard. like "darkness" drawing in. Does that make sense to anyone?

(check feature too)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-11 18:58:31
Link | Citer | R

I think it'd be a pretty good system. Grandia had it and it makes life a lot easier. I do agree that it's better to develop these skills as an "instinct", though, because that way you become a better, more experienced player.

Maybe if it was optional...
 Bahamut.Kelia
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-06-11 20:45:24
Link | Citer | R

I hated having to spam check things on BST. It gets so confusing when there's a bunch of mobs with the same name and they move around.

It should at the very least be more intuitive in ffxiv and/or displayed on the "target" rather than the chat log, because there is nothing more annoying than spamming the same thing over and over to find out which mob is level 64 and which is level 62, then getting confused when you press tab/they move and trying to charm the T and dying. Plus it gave me some *** hand pains.
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-11 21:02:51
Link | Citer | R

Kelia said:

It should at the very least be more intuitive in ffxiv

I think that's the big part of it, it needs to be more intuitive rather than counter productive.

Meanwhile if a certain group of a family range in level, why not change their size? Smaller size means they're weaker than one of a larger size. It makes sense logically, of a single species in RL, bigger -generally- means stronger.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Serveur: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-06-11 21:11:55
Link | Citer | R

Karusan said:
Meanwhile if a certain group of a family range in level, why not change their size? Smaller size means they're weaker than one of a larger size. It makes sense logically, of a single species in RL, bigger -generally- means stronger.

They have this to an extent, but it would be nice to see it more profound, and not just limited to lv 10 vs lv 60, or regular mob vs NM.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-06-12 01:08:37
Link | Citer | R

MONSTER HUNTER STYLE OR THIS WILL BE AS CASUAL AS WoW.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-12 01:12:31
Link | Citer | R

Atrithk said:

Please explain?

Also, a level 3 bunny being a bit bigger than a level 2 bunny is a very simple solution to a problem we've all been discussing for 3 pages O_O
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Serveur: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-06-12 01:13:08
Link | Citer | R

Monster Hunter ga yoku wakarimasen. As for WoW... choke yourself... not with your hand with mine...
 Bahamut.Atrithk
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-06-12 02:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
Atrithk said:

Please explain?

No check system. You don't NEED a check system. You know in my day, our check system consisted of attack, killing, or dying.
That's how you'd know it was too strong, if you died to it.
[+]
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-12 14:25:26
Link | Citer | R

I kinda like the size difference in toughness idea but that can be wierd still. How do you make a tougher taru? it has fatter cankles? I just think for some species it wouldnt apply so well. And on that part if they are different sizes I'd expect a large grizzly bear to be strong but slow and a small grizzly bear to be fast but weaker (yet still eat my face)

As for the color coding... the person implying 13 shades of red and ***were the trolls. 13 shades of anything is recockulous.

I certainly wouldnt want to step out of bastok and see a ***ton of bees in 3 different colors and assorted toughness indicators; however, I wouldn't mind the warning system that is in FF12 (and apparently FF13) that visually queues you to aggression and to add to that if it doesnt agg, allowing my targetted mob to display quick info instantly either thru log data or visual coding (color and or indicators) would be great.

I really wouldnt mind not knowning a thing about a mob until an encounter. That would lend greatly to scan/libra and just all around exploration in general.

My orignal gripe for this thread was that mandatory checking is very first gen, and there is a better way to do it now.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-12 14:34:20
Link | Citer | R

Narayan said:
As for the color coding... the person implying 13 shades of red and ***were the trolls. 13 shades of anything is recockulous.

I'll have to borrow that sometime lol

On topic, though...I think a check system won't be as necessary if mobs have consistency across zones and such (this, of course, assumes there will BE zones)...there will be some trial and error obviously, but eventually, word will get out that you need to be around a certain level to kill certain mobs in certain zones, and people will learn...

If a certain mob family is aggressive, it should ALWAYS be aggressive...except for beastmen, since they obviously have some intelligence and lack of aggression towards high level players could be explained by them "sizing you up" and deciding, "yeah, don't wanna *** with this guy...".

Yeah, it will prolly be annoying to kill ***that's much lower level then you just because it's aggro's, but if you're high enough level, obviously it ain't a big deal lol
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-12 16:05:18
Link | Citer | R

It's a sphere of influence :)
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-12 16:10:55
Link | Citer | R

Of course I'm a troll for just saying there are ALOT of diffrent things to show if it was all about color.
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-12 16:24:43
Link | Citer | R

I consider you a troll if you comment with nothing to add but your post count or are giving useless over generalizations.

No one said to include every single thing about a mob and to equate that with just 1 shade of color. The suggestion was on how other games simplize the more important parts into a color and maybe a couple extra icons.

Obviously if you selected a mob and it was surrounded by 13 icons to cover everything from its weakness to magic, strength to bludgeoning, likes walks on the beach and *** raping lil asian girls with demon tenticle peni (cause penis' sounds wierd as pee-niss-ez, pee-nai sounds better!) it would degrade the experience and be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to look at.

Tho if selecting a mob and its name gives a couple important indicators instantly of what is known about it in regards to your player/group like its VT to you/group that is helpful and a little more natrual. Or like how it was mentioned earlier if the log would instantly update with the info that'd be great. A seperate window for your pokedex would fit perfectly with such a concept.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-12 16:29:48
Link | Citer | R

But my thing is, why would I want to go stop for a minute, check my mob database to see what level etc. on it, than click the mob > select check and read a message like we do now. By the time you finish looking for the mob, it would be taken by someone else or ran off and now u gotta chase it.
 Asura.Deodate
Serveur: Asura
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-06-12 16:34:58
Link | Citer | R

None of it is needed. If you can't hit ctrl+c then maybe another game would be more your speed. Most of us have played the game long enough that there's no longer a need to check enemies at all anyway.
 Siren.Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-12 16:38:01
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
But my thing is, why would I want to go stop for a minute, check my mob database to see what level etc. on it, than click the mob > select check and read a message like we do now. By the time you finish looking for the mob, it would be taken by someone else or ran off and now u gotta chase it.

Well in my example above it would be, select mob and you would see:

A) a color indicating toughness (maybe an icon or two); like other games

or B) instantaneous info via the log. If we got multiple chat windows to cusomize like in someone elses suggestion thread, you could then have a side window as your 'pokedex'

(I'm pretty sure we're just gonna get FFDQ and it'll be ff12mmo with DQ tweaks)
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-12 16:38:13
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, if only everyone had a life like yours, Ludoggy.

We'd easily have over a million posts in the forum if that were the case.

*Wonders who deleted Ludoggy's post.* >.>
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-12 16:38:36
Link | Citer | R

>.> They said Lu :
Narayan said:
I consider you a troll if you comment with nothing to add but your post count or are giving useless over generalizations.

Meaning that IF they considered you a troll, it would be for something you didnt contribute. But you did contribute so they didn't consider you a troll for that moment >.>
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-12 16:38:56
Link | Citer | R

Deodate said:
None of it is needed. If you can't hit ctrl+c then maybe another game would be more your speed. Most of us have played the game long enough that there's no longer a need to check enemies at all anyway.

Yeah!

I mean, if something is dripping venom from it's fangs, and is covered in spikes...yeah, I'd go ahead and assume it's aggressive.

Plus, so many people want this game to be "all new" and want the discovery factor again...what better way to discover the game then to be completely clueless that the innocent looking bunny over there is really level 45 and is gonna rape the piss out of you? ^^