Improved 'Check' System
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-16 15:43:26
Link | Citer | R

I dunno... The op has a rating of -2... So, maybe most people don't agree that it's tedious. >.>
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-06-16 15:50:03
Link | Citer | R

I can't read all this wall o' text, but just make a spell or ability like Scan. With an accessory to go along with it like in FFXII. It will still keep the game clean and organized for the people who don't have any interest in the stats of a monster.
 Remora.Chairo
Serveur: Remora
user: Chairo
By Remora.Chairo 2009-06-16 16:14:03
Link | Citer | R

The whole color name thing I think can work out just fine like how it works in EQII with grey not worth while
blue weak
green decent
red for tough

Then again I don't think this should replace the /check system since I myself am accustomed to it. I think the color system should be something of a customization feature for those who want to use it.

I've also heard some ppl mention earlier that giving more info makes the game easier. No one who plays this game can honestly say that, I including probably all of you use ffxi wiki for everything from synthesis, quests, missions, camp spots and how to play your job. The only difference is we go externally for all our information. Being too lazy to check the mob can become bothersome but then again if you played long enough you'll know the mobs inside and out so its like why really bother to check at all outside of new areas?

I don't really mind or care about having additional information about a target without having to pop open firefox for everything, its just more convenient for everyone and still doesn't change the challenge of the mobs you are fighting except for knowing about the weakness.

Last thing also remember the only real reason FFXI is harder than most mmo games is how all the jobs systems work and how the limited JA are used for situations rather than something you just spam every 5-30 seconds in like WoW and EQII. Not saying EQII is easy or I dislike the abilities, I think its badass if you play assassin how you can go in stealth use whatever ability behind it and string those abilities together saying if you timed them right.

Anyway more customization features never hurt and overall makes more people happy.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 20:21:49
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
I dunno... The op has a rating of -2... So, maybe most people don't agree that it's tedious. >.>

That could well be because the OP specifically suggests coloured names with symbols, rather than just saying "/check sucks, how can we remove it?".

Chairo said:
I've also heard some ppl mention earlier that giving more info makes the game easier. No one who plays this game can honestly say that, I including probably all of you use ffxi wiki for everything from synthesis, quests, missions, camp spots and how to play your job. The only difference is we go externally for all our information. Being too lazy to check the mob can become bothersome but then again if you played long enough you'll know the mobs inside and out so its like why really bother to check at all outside of new areas?

This is a massive point on most of these FFXIV suggestions topics imo. Why should we need to go to wiki to find out information that should be available to us in game? Even if the info IS available in game, but is too hard or cumbersome to access, people will still choose wiki over it.

My main arguement for this topic is that you should be able to access the vast majority of info that we go to the wiki for (except guides) from WITHIN the game. There are many reasons for this, but I guess the main one is that it makes it fair for those people playing on PS3/360 compared to those on pc who can just alt+tab.

There's also the third party tools debate, which is just as valid. The amount of options and information provided in-game is inversely proportional to the likelihood of people using 3rd party tools such as windower.

Because of this, I really think SE would be daft to not include things such as:
Party/alliance hp/mp/tp
Distance (or a much better radar)
Recast (an option to show the recast of certain spells on screen)
Longer, or much improved macros

And of course, better /check options. How they could best go about improving the /check function is up for debate. So, discuss :p
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-06-16 20:39:13
Link | Citer | R

If you want a check system, you can go play WoW or stay at FFXI.
We'll be over here enjoying our superior, hardcore check system.
That is to say, lack thereof.
 Remora.Chairo
By Remora.Chairo 2009-06-16 20:52:59
Link | Citer | R

Btw I forgot to mention in an earlier post is that windower had a program (I forgot what its called) that whenever you put your cursor on a target it gives you all the details of the possible lvl ranges of the target, approx exp from that mob and your lvl, and gave what its weak too like piercing or whatever element oh yeah and possible drops I believe. I think a feature like that should have been included as well.
 Ramuh.Yasko
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Yasko
By Ramuh.Yasko 2009-06-16 22:09:33
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
Tbest said:

That could well be because the OP specifically suggests coloured names with symbols, rather than just saying "/check sucks, how can we remove it?".

Chairo said:

This is a massive point on most of these FFXIV suggestions topics imo. Why should we need to go to wiki to find out information that should be available to us in game? Even if the info IS available in game, but is too hard or cumbersome to access, people will still choose wiki over it.

My main arguement for this topic is that you should be able to access the vast majority of info that we go to the wiki for (except guides) from WITHIN the game. There are many reasons for this, but I guess the main one is that it makes it fair for those people playing on PS3/360 compared to those on pc who can just alt+tab.

There's also the third party tools debate, which is just as valid. The amount of options and information provided in-game is inversely proportional to the likelihood of people using 3rd party tools such as windower.

Because of this, I really think SE would be daft to not include things such as:
Party/alliance hp/mp/tp
Distance (or a much better radar)
Recast (an option to show the recast of certain spells on screen)
Longer, or much improved macros

And of course, better /check options. How they could best go about improving the /check function is up for debate. So, discuss :p

Essentially an in game encyclopedia and windower.

I personally feel like I should work for that information... even if it is using windower so I can access wiki. It feels too "easy" otherwise. And maybe I should be playing without a guide and any elitist intentions, but just as a life to adventure in. I mean, it's this precept which gave usefulness and trendiness to "scan".

While I do think some aspects could and ought to be improved, I agree color shouldn't necessarily be the indicator for difficulty. That's counter intuitive, in such respect.

If SE did make their own in game encylopedia, they would control the information, and another wiki would be created, exploring "behind the scenes". Lest they did it wiki style.

/check gives you what you see from the character's perspective. It's role play. To remove it would complicate things, in whichever degree of thought you wish to take it. To the symbolic vs. sensual. I prefer both. And customization options are both a desired and tedious aspect.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-17 06:05:10
Link | Citer | R

Read the pokedex thread, there's a lot of great ideas in there that can go hand in hand with some of the ideas people have come up with for /check changes.

I'm all for an in game wiki and windower, but I'm also all for having to work for it, which I've gone into some detail about in the thread I just linked.

I think it's totally possible and feasible to add all of this without doing away with the /check command altogether, but then, I also think it's possible to get rid of the /check command in an easy to read fashion that's also appealing to the eyes.
 Remora.Chairo
By Remora.Chairo 2009-06-17 10:28:21
Link | Citer | R

@Yasko I hate to say this but 99% of all of us who play are elitist ***, we invite only those with subs we want for certain things, and even kick people for not having specific pieces of equipment or tp gear which is usually every piece of haste gear you can find. My 75rng also don't get a lot invites just because I refuse to /nin, I'm a dmg *** all around and most of the time I see no point since brds are usually pullers and I usually one shot birds 75% health with slugshot so why bother with shadows that I won't really use? I move away from the point though everyone expects players to play their job to the best the job itself could allow or by what the party leader deems sufficient and not by players own play style.

Also don't forget just because you know about a mob doesn't mean its going to make the fight any easier for you.
Say you check a mob and it says its dc, low evasion and defense but it mentions nothing about its tp moves which normally wrecks everyone's day or the mobs own stats like str, evasion etc

One last thing I notice everyone who noted the name color not being able to work because of background color and all that has no real valid point to that. We already use color name schemes for Npcs, players, anon players, party members, claimed mobs, unclaimed mobs, people who used the call for help" color on a mob and I see no problems with it especially in places like jueno and whitegate. Generally visual cues are not there to give all info a mob but at a glance approximate. I see no problem with 3 additional colors to show a mobs lvl in comparison to the players at all but like I said before it should be an option to use and not replace /check altogether.
 Ramuh.Yasko
By Ramuh.Yasko 2009-06-17 12:10:58
Link | Citer | R

Chairo said:
@Yasko I hate to say this but 99% of all of us who play are elitist ***, we invite only those with subs we want for certain things, and even kick people for not having specific pieces of equipment or tp gear which is usually every piece of haste gear you can find. My 75rng also don't get a lot invites just because I refuse to /nin, I'm a dmg *** all around and most of the time I see no point since brds are usually pullers and I usually one shot birds 75% health with slugshot so why bother with shadows that I won't really use? I move away from the point though everyone expects players to play their job to the best the job itself could allow or by what the party leader deems sufficient and not by players own play style.

A lot of truth there. I'm %99 percent elitist it seems, but I'm very fond of that %1. I am thinking that I would prefer a system that allows you to explore the game story independently, allowing you the option to party with people, so when you do, it's good times; not reputation threatening judgment...

I feel like this is the direction SE is going with some of the changes: FoV, campaign, making it easier to solo... and a lot of pre-established elitists are pissed off at this, because it makes them feel less entitled to "owning" the game.

Chairo said:
Also don't forget just because you know about a mob doesn't mean its going to make the fight any easier for you.
Say you check a mob and it says its dc, low evasion and defense but it mentions nothing about its tp moves which normally wrecks everyone's day or the mobs own stats like str, evasion etc

Well... that's where the differences of Check and Scan/Libra comes in. I like the system as it is in way that you it does tell you what your character might be able to see. But I agree with the OP that you shouldn't have to "check it" when you are already looking at a monster and should be able to be visually cued into how it's basically operating. (Maybe "haste" "high evasion" "obvious soft spots" and others of the like)

Not sure if I perceive an "adaptive system" like the op. But a system where you find out about an enemies strengths and weaknesses in encounter, I think it would be neat that if you were in battle, and you tried striking it with a blunt object it said (Blunt objects seem to be weak/ineffective to "mob") or if you successfully found a weakness to it by using an ice spell that "This 'mob' is weak against ice!". You know how in some of the FF's where you'd be in a unique battle situation, it let you know details like "don't attack the shell!" and every time you did, it would use giga volt? Things like that enhanced the strategy dynamic in an exciting way, imo.

Chairo said:
One last thing I notice everyone who noted the name color not being able to work because of background color and all that has no real valid point to that. We already use color name schemes for Npcs, players, anon players, party members, claimed mobs, unclaimed mobs, people who used the call for help" color on a mob and I see no problems with it especially in places like jueno and whitegate. Generally visual cues are not there to give all info a mob but at a glance approximate. I see no problem with 3 additional colors to show a mobs lvl in comparison to the players at all but like I said before it should be an option to use and not replace /check altogether.

I liked the color coding in FFXII, as far as difficulty was concerned (even as an aggression indicator). But I personally think it'd be more realistic when monsters that are definitely stronger level'd in difficulty, visually/audio/via feedback really, gave it a SCARY feeling. Instead of you know... casually approaching a rabbit, hitting it, expecting to do well, and then oh crap... It's A LOT tougher then you thought it would be. And now you are scared that you are going to die.

But this system would have to be relative, and change as your level changes to be continuous.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-17 12:18:26
Link | Citer | R

Yasko said:
But I personally think it'd be more realistic when monsters that are definitely stronger level'd in difficulty, visually/audio/via feedback really, gave it a SCARY feeling.

Honestly, I thought about that, too. Personally, I say ditch the /check system altogether, make mobs in a given zone around the same level, and have the music adapt itself to your level. If you're higher level then everything in the zone and it's all TWTBW then the music is pleasant and light...stuff get's a little stronger and it get's a little more foreboding. Zones where the ***is REALLY pissed off compared to your level the music can be downright scary.

Only thing is so many turn the music off when they play (as do I) so I dunno.
 Siren.Narayan
Serveur: Siren
user: Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-17 12:41:50
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Yasko said:
But I personally think it'd be more realistic when monsters that are definitely stronger level'd in difficulty, visually/audio/via feedback really, gave it a SCARY feeling.

Honestly, I thought about that, too. Personally, I say ditch the /check system altogether, make mobs in a given zone around the same level, and have the music adapt itself to your level. If you're higher level then everything in the zone and it's all TWTBW then the music is pleasant and light...stuff get's a little stronger and it get's a little more foreboding. Zones where the ***is REALLY pissed off compared to your level the music can be downright scary.

In Fallout 3 when you are 'in danger' or w/e the music changes to combat music. It also gets creepier depending on the mob... or at least it is at 3am in the dark when youre blasting mutants and ***in the face with a gun that shoots railroad spikes.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Serveur: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2009-06-17 12:48:07
Link | Citer | R

I like the system that FFXI has with checking. Colorcoding the names is annoying. Also, the colorcoding system FFXI has would not work if they colorcoded according to strength. Using 'Check' is basically looking at the mob and saying, "lol, it's a rabbit, it couldn't kill me" or "/panic, It's the freaking rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, RUN AWAY!"
(and get the Holy Hand Grenade...)

All in all the current system is fine. If you want to know the strength, it's easy to find out. If you don't, don't bother.
 Ramuh.Yasko
By Ramuh.Yasko 2009-06-17 13:05:28
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:

Honestly, I thought about that, too. Personally, I say ditch the /check system altogether, make mobs in a given zone around the same level

I like "biodiversity", so some enemies could be very "weak" if you can ever catch them. But I agree that there should be a basic "vibe" about the land or area. But at the same time, I do like the idea of music changing when the proximity of something dreadful is near.

Xxnumbertwoxx said:

But you do that because the music is redundant, and not engaging. At least that's why I do it, lol.

Narayan said:

In Fallout 3 when you are 'in danger' or w/e the music changes to combat music. It also gets creepier depending on the mob... or at least it is at 3am in the dark when youre blasting mutants and ***in the face with a gun that shoots railroad spikes.

/jaw drops

See... If you didn't play anything but FFXI you wouldn't have these strange influences telling you things could be different. =D

All in all I'm up for seeing how these already perfect games can become even greater and engaging of an experience.

One day, virtual reality will be done right.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-06-17 13:53:39
Link | Citer | R

meh simple thing is that all the mobs in a spacific secion are around the same level anyway. just check 1
Ludoggy said:
Ok so it'll be..
Red for aggro. Pink for too weak, Light red for Easy prey, bland red for Even match. Dark red for tough, Darker Red for VT, VERY VERY dark red for IT. Black tinted red for IMPOSIBLE TO GAUGE.

Then blue...light blue...etc.

Then there will be a gay Ear next to it if it tracks sound, an eye for sight, and a nose for scent. a magic book for spells, a pic of a guy doing a backflip for job abilitys, a pic of someone bleeding to death for blood aggro. Abunch of people holding hands for links, a pic of a swinging sword for aggros weapon skills, a ZZZ pic with a sun in the back for it sleeps during the day, a ZZZ with a pic of the moon in the back for sleeps at night Then add a T in everything thats true sight.

Then we gotta make a big neon sign for CLAIMED.
and Call for help? !!!!!!!HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!! in bright yellow all over your screen.

I think you just gave windower plugin programmers some new decent ideas!
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-17 13:56:02
Link | Citer | R

I think the point of windower is so your eyes dont bleed =P
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-17 13:56:12
Link | Citer | R

Except for when the mobs go from TW to IT++... Ya know... Like Bibiki Bay.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-17 13:58:25
Link | Citer | R

How bout we just put a level and ?? on the higher mob so you know not to try and kill the one that has a ?? on it.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-06-17 13:58:32
Link | Citer | R

Ludoggy said:
I think the point of windower is so your eyes dont bleed =P

You are soo mistaken! It's for convenience so you don't have to focus on soo many things. Everything is right there in front of you built in the UI for lazy eyes and lazy fingers. Don't gotta type to ask for ppls TP, don't gotta watch screen and count shadows, don't gotta check menu for recasts. Woo! That's like bloody eyes and bloody finger tips +1