A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 99 100 101
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-10-14 21:15:32
Link | Citer | R

You don't "need" to impact the urganite anymore. More debuffs speed it up a bit, but you're fine with just applying other debuffs and DD should melt it anyways.

In the whole foret zone, you only really need to stun crackclaw so it doesn't dispel formless strikes, if you use that method, and charmga on the orobon.

I generally don't even bother trying to stun the boss anymore because with a few DD it drops 25% too fast to even care.
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 21:27:58
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »
You don't "need" to impact the urganite anymore. More debuffs speed it up a bit, but you're fine with just applying other debuffs and DD should melt it anyways.

In the whole foret zone, you only really need to stun crackclaw so it doesn't dispel formless strikes, if you use that method, and charmga on the orobon.

I generally don't even bother trying to stun the boss anymore because with a few DD it drops 25% too fast to even care.

So you mean I don't have to spend all my gil on MAB augments for Hagondes? Yippie!!
 Odin.Llewelyn
Serveur: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-10-14 21:30:29
Link | Citer | R

Removing shark aura depends on # of thunder attacks dealt rather than total damage dealt anyway. My WHM is still scared of aura so when I solo DD the zone I go SAM/RUN and I still take down the aura relatively fast. Only ever gets off 1 move at the most.
By Chimerawizard 2014-10-14 21:33:37
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »
Don't even need to stun craklaw, just make sure by the time the DD have both jagil & uragnite dead that you already nuked it down to 75%.
(though if you don't want to make a nuke set, by all means, stun craklaw)
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberif
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberif 2014-10-14 21:34:36
Link | Citer | R

really scholar and stunning is not necessary for foret anymore, if you have good DD's. Last run i did they would drop it 25% before i could even get aura off
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 21:37:50
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Removing shark aura depends on # of thunder attacks dealt rather than total damage dealt anyway. My WHM is still scared of aura so when I solo DD the zone I go SAM/RUN and I still take down the aura relatively fast. Only ever gets off 1 move at the most.

This is useful information, as I thought it was a certain amount of damage to remove it. I guess I could probably handle stunning this zone. Is the cracklaw easy to stun or is it quick with its TP moves?
By Chimerawizard 2014-10-14 21:39:59
Link | Citer | R

if you can stun tojil, you can stun craklaw.
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 21:40:20
Link | Citer | R

brb /shouting for Foret delve
 Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee
By Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee 2014-10-21 22:19:16
Link | Citer | R

Chimerawizard said: »

if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-10-21 23:10:31
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee said: »

if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball
And if you can't stun either, then you are as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2014-11-27 03:57:55
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
With the July, 2014 update RDM & GEO likely have more use in much of these than a scholar.
Sadface.
Quote:
Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
Sadderface.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberif 2014-11-27 05:45:14
Link | Citer | R

dont be sad! got some new sets coming for you '-')
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-12-03 03:25:52
Link | Citer | R

Question on Helix: If you get an unlucky resisted Helix on a mob can you overwrite with a new Helix if it does more damage than what's currently on the mob or are you screwed until it wears off?
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2014-12-03 04:19:20
Link | Citer | R

Question on Helix: If you get an unlucky resisted Helix on a mob can you overwrite with a new Helix if it does more damage than what's currently on the mob or are you screwed until it wears off?

Sadly, you have to wait for it to wear off before applying another helix effect.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2014-12-03 06:07:48
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Zuidar said: »

Sadly, you have to wait for it to wear off before applying another helix effect.

Luckily this is NOT true at all. New Helix will overwrite old one.

When I was building SCH mythic and doing Salvage I would often go into autopilot and HELIX a Rampart I actually wanted to spawn gears out of for 1k dmg+. I was able to fix the situation by casting another Helix over it in my cure gear for like 50 dmg.

Also you get "your Helix wears off" messages a lot in wildskeeper reives when multiple Scholars go into a Helix casting war.
 Bahamut.Odaru
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Odaru 2014-12-07 18:31:11
Link | Citer | R

kithaofcerb said: »
Just save your strategems for Peiste and stun as soon as you see it go into "TP ready" stance. Should be dead before you run out of strats.

If you're getting resists on Tojil with an iLv staff then that means it's taking longer to kill than it should and you should tell your DDs to hit it harder.

I have been quite lucky in getting some amazing DDs in my /shouts, so this has yet to be a problem.
In terms of the peiste, what you're telling me is exactly what I've asked all the {Veteran} SCH's on my server, so I've concluded I'm just not good at it yet, heh.

fractalvoid said: »
Sangoma Ring > Perception Ring
Enchanter's Earring +1 > Loquacious

Is Sangoma really worth the 250k plasm or whatever it is? 2 more Macc doesn't really seem like its worth that much when I have 1012347120364123401923 pieces to mezzotint.
kithaofcerb said: »
Just save your strategems for Peiste and stun as soon as you see it go into "TP ready" stance. Should be dead before you run out of strats.

If you're getting resists on Tojil with an iLv staff then that means it's taking longer to kill than it should and you should tell your DDs to hit it harder.

I have been quite lucky in getting some amazing DDs in my /shouts, so this has yet to be a problem.
In terms of the peiste, what you're telling me is exactly what I've asked all the {Veteran} SCH's on my server, so I've concluded I'm just not good at it yet, heh.

fractalvoid said: »
Sangoma Ring > Perception Ring
Enchanter's Earring +1 > Loquacious

Is Sangoma really worth the 250k plasm or whatever it is? 2 more Macc doesn't really seem like its worth that much when I have 1012347120364123401923 pieces to mezzotint.

It's a strict upgrade. So, yes.
 Asura.Fiv
Serveur: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-12-07 19:06:50
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
Luckily this is NOT true at all. New Helix will overwrite old one.

When I was building SCH mythic and doing Salvage I would often go into autopilot and HELIX a Rampart I actually wanted to spawn gears out of for 1k dmg+. I was able to fix the situation by casting another Helix over it in my cure gear for like 50 dmg.

Also you get "your Helix wears off" messages a lot in wildskeeper reives when multiple Scholars go into a Helix casting war.

Other SCHs overwritting my helixes is a pet peeve of mine, right next to helix not being able to be read on parsers or scoreboard.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-12-13 21:52:49
Link | Citer | R

Impatiens vs Incantor Stone.
Where do you use one and where do you use the other, and why?
I'm looking for opinions, I'm really undecided atm.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberif 2014-12-13 22:12:14
Link | Citer | R

impatiens for non skill dependent buffs and spells
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-12-14 05:47:09
Link | Citer | R

I might be missing something and I apologize for that, but why are you talking about potency as if precasting with Impatiens mattered?
You can still precast with Impatiens and midcast with something else (+mab, +macc, +enha skill) and avoid losing potency or whatever else.

I guess I missed something you guys were trying to say though.
By Pantafernando 2014-12-14 06:57:49
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
I might be missing something and I apologize for that, but why are you talking about potency as if precasting with Impatiens mattered?
You can still precast with Impatiens and midcast with something else (+mab, +macc, +enha skill) and avoid losing potency or whatever else.

I guess I missed something you guys were trying to say though.

That just work with gearswap packet, it wont work with vanilla, as the minimum time limit we can set between gearswaps is 1 sec. If impatient procs, impatient (and all the pre cast gear) will be used as a mid cast gear, as suposelly instacast will occur in less than 1 sec.
[+]
 Asura.Krystela
By Asura.Krystela 2014-12-14 09:05:57
Link | Citer | R

Impatiens vs Incantor Stone.
Where do you use one and where do you use the other, and why?
I'm looking for opinions, I'm really undecided atm.
It all depends on if you use gearswap or not.

If you do, you can put it in any precast set as gearswap handles instacast and you won't end up finishing a cast in dummy gears.

If you don't, I would suggest you to put it in sets where that specific slot don't matter. Like Haste, refresh, flurry, regens, stoneskin, blink, aquaveil, reraises and raises. It does have a better output if you equip it along with other quickcast gears thoughas the chances of a quickcast will be higher. Such as moonshade earring, rings (weatherspoon?/Garuda ring/legion ring), augmented Dalmatica, witful belt and ogapepo cape.

Have a good day :)
By Chimerawizard 2014-12-14 09:12:02
Link | Citer | R

/equipset [Precast]
/ma "Spell" <stnpc/<stal>
/equipset [generic midcast]
/equip slots "things specific to this spell that aren't in the midcast set."

That way, even if an instacast proc's, the worst case, you're still wearing Ombre Tathlum +1 and other INT items, when you would normally have swapped to m.dmg+ gear for a low tier nuke.

This does take a lot of macros though, I have 3.5 pages full of nukes, 1 enfeeble page, 2 enhancing pages, and 1 for cures. JAs take a page themselves and the final 1/2 is for swapping between pages. /macro set 0~9

Pantafernando said: »
That just work with gearswap packet, it wont work with vanilla, as the minimum time limit we can set between gearswaps is 1 sec. If impatient procs, impatient (and all the pre cast gear) will be used as a mid cast gear, as suposelly instacast will occur in less than 1 sec.
If you use <st> instead of <t> the 3rd line won't register until after target has been selected, circumventing the normal minimum 1s delay.
The server should always get both the spell and equipset at the same time regardless of lag with that method.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-12-14 09:16:14
Link | Citer | R

If you use <st> instead of <t> the 3rd line won't register until after target has been selected, circumventing the normal minimum 1s delay.
The server should always get both the spell and equipset at the same time regardless of lag with that method.

Im not sure of that.
By Chimerawizard 2014-12-14 09:19:52
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »
Im not sure of that.
Well, it'll also go to the 3rd line once you press [ESC], whatever.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-12-14 11:18:26
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I use Gearswap, but my point was kinda another, let me put it this way.

Awesome proc 2% of the times
vs
Small proc 100% of the times

That's 2% Instacast vs 2% Fastcast.
Yes instacast are awesome, but in the long run what's gonna be more efficient? So far I usually preferred equipping Instacast only in slots where I don't have FC options, in ammo slot I have thse 2 similar pieces and I'm having a hard time making up my mind what to equip.

Put in another different way: over 200 spells cast, will I save more time with Incantor stone or with Impatiens?
By Pantafernando 2014-12-14 11:39:05
Link | Citer | R

vs

Yes instacast are awesome, but in the long run what's gonna be more efficient? So far I usually preferred equipping Instacast only in slots where I don't have FC options, in ammo slot I have thse 2 similar pieces and I'm having a hard time making up my mind what to equip.

Put in another different way: over 200 spells cast, will I save more time with Incantor stone or with Impatiens?

I would say depend.

For stuffs like stun i think its kinda pointless an instacast gear. Stunning requires a precise timing, and that the recast is bellow nm melee phase. So, what good will a 2% instacast if you will miss a stun 98% of time because your recast is high? Alternativelly, what good 2% instacast will do if your recast allow stunning 100% with correct gear?

But back to vanilla and the gearswap, gearswap allow you to use the best of the 2 world. Vanilla no. Its one or another.

If you have gearswap, you can be sure to cast with midcast gear be it instacast proc or no. And that case you can judge (and thats subjective) if your precast will be instacast oriented or no.

If you dont use gearswap, you just risk casting a magic in a gimp gear.

Brd for example, gearing instacast in precast, is will hurt a lot your song duration and strength when you hit instacast, and its too fast so you cant go back to your song set.

for things like haste, for example, it doesnt matter if casting with precast gear, so instacast is good.

Now to judge if 2% fast cast or 2% instacst is better, depend of player. Some players like to have predictable gear, others like those burst in efficiency, depend.
 Asura.Krystela
By Asura.Krystela 2014-12-14 13:57:44
Link | Citer | R

vs

I have gearswap.

I personally uses impatiens + other quickcast pieces as precast for spells that are already "fast paced" for exemple: Cures (I am a whm) and -na's

I use incantor's for long cast. Like Stoneskin or Buffs.

If you ask me which one I make the most use out of as whm? Incantor's. If I was a Sch, I assume I would make more use of incantor's as well.

Hope this helps you :)
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-12-14 14:00:06
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Krystela said: »

vs

I have gearswap.

I personally uses impatiens + other quickcast pieces as precast for spells that are already "fast paced" for exemple: Cures (I am a whm) and -na's

I use incantor's for long cast. Like Stoneskin or Buffs.

If you ask me which one I make the most use out of as whm? Incantor's. If I was a Sch, I assume I would make more use of incantor's as well.

Hope this helps you :)

Depends entirely on your other gear and how close to capped you are (as SCH should have no issues really with all the grimoir casting - gear and Fastcast available that 2% FC makes any difference).

Magian Staffs -14% Cast time
Hat -12% Grimoire
Body -5%
Gendewitha Gages -7%
Artsieq Hose -5%
Regal Pumps -6%
Belt -3%

Not to mention Orunmila's torque, prolix ring, Loq Earring, Swith Cape+1 the Fastcast Grip 2%

55%

1-0.55~ 0.45

then DA + Grimoire 24% (multiplicative with FastCast but these are just a couple quick ones).

1-0.24 ~ 0.76

0.76x0.45 ~

0.342 Casting time ~ 15% from absolute capped.

This gets you pretty high, so we are now looking at 2% (which is multicative with grimoire so its NOT A STRAIGHT 2% so its value diminishes to about 1.8 ~

what is 1.8% of a Cast time on say ~ Thunder 5?

10 seconds is normal so

3.42 seconds VS that extra 2% fastcast

0.76 x 0.43

0.32 seconds..... Are we really going to say that your 0.1 of a second is going to have any impact to your PLUS THEN FACTOR IN RECAST!

Instant cast should in this scenario absolutely Trash 2% Fastcast ammo simply because its saving you a full 3.42 seconds vs a 0.1 second saving 2% of the time.

Instant cast insn't solely about cast time, it's the whole instant ecast timer is a big factor too.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 99 100 101