A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 99 100 101
By Chimerawizard 2014-09-09 16:40:22
Link | Citer | R

So many nice new toys, Quartz Tathlum +1, Ombre Tathlum +1, Elder's Grip +1, Saevus Pendant +1, Belisama's Rope +1, Yamabuki-No-Obi, Globidonta Ring, Oretania's Cape +1, and Tempered Cape +1.

There was one that, at least I think shins above all those others listed above, Pixie Hairpin +1. With a Dark Element +28% that's just ridiculous, and to add icing on the cake INT, I'd say anything dark element from aspir to Omniscience this will remain best in slot for a long time.

As for magic accuracy effecting Modus Veritas. I still don't know.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-09-09 16:49:27
Link | Citer | R

Chimerawizard said: »
So depressing not even being able to get it to land on a Delve1 fodder mob. :(
 Shiva.Spathaian
Serveur: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-09-09 16:51:08
Link | Citer | R

So many nice new toys, Quartz Tathlum +1, Ombre Tathlum +1, Elder's Grip +1, Saevus Pendant +1, Belisama's Rope +1, Yamabuki-No-Obi, Globidonta Ring, Oretania's Cape +1, and Tempered Cape +1.

There was one that, at least I think shins above all those others listed above, Pixie Hairpin +1. With a Dark Element +28% that's just ridiculous, and to add icing on the cake INT, I'd say anything dark element from aspir to Omniscience this will remain best in slot for a long time.

I thought both drain and aspir were unaffected by MAB?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-09 16:55:43
Link | Citer | R

When the description is like that it means that it's actually elemental affinity, which is pretty huge.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2014-09-09 17:00:06
Link | Citer | R

It isn't normal MAB, it is potency, that's the way SE terms it now apparently.

From the BG forums

That was why I added all those elemental MAB pieces on a list next to the nuke sets.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
Serveur: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-09-09 17:01:10
Link | Citer | R

Shows how little I've been paying attention to Mage gear as of late. ._. My apologies.
By kasain 2014-09-09 17:08:45
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Spathaian said: »

Aspir and drain can MB

If you self SC Lumihelix, stone = distortion. WS Shattersoul darkness. Then MB drain, aspir, kaustra impact. Drain and aspir will hit for over 2k on most mobs. Espicaily if you have dark weather up.
I thought both drain and aspir were unaffected by MAB?
By kasain 2014-09-09 17:13:48
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
It does. Had Influx Earring and Bifrost Ring equipped and a total of 1401 MP. Used Myrkr at 300% TP and got 840 MP back (60% MP)

As someone with 119 empy, 849 at 300 tp is ok, but you can get over 1300 MP back with proper HP gear.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-09 18:11:22
Link | Citer | R

kasain said: »
It does. Had Influx Earring and Bifrost Ring equipped and a total of 1401 MP. Used Myrkr at 300% TP and got 840 MP back (60% MP)

As someone with 119 empy, 849 at 300 tp is ok, but you can get over 1300 MP back with proper HP gear.

he turned off gearswap and tested just Convert HP to MP ring/earring. if you scroll up and see his earlier post, where his full gearset is swapping, he is getting 1335 MP return. Plus, emp staff 119 has an extra 100 MP, so 60 extra MP return off the WS.
By kithaofcerb 2014-09-09 23:43:48
Link | Citer | R

So I've just leveled scholar, and I have most of my gear either ready or almost ready (I.E. 109 Pedagogy head, 119 Academic's hands, artsieq pants), but Vanir Cotehardie seems almost totally out of reach at the moment. Are there any decent body pieces I can use in the mean time, or is it Vanir or bust? I've been looking at the Academic's body reforged, since it boosts dark arts it looks pretty good.

If any of this is confusing, I'm talking about a stun set...

Thanks in advance
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-09 23:58:55
Link | Citer | R

kithaofcerb said: »
So I've just leveled scholar, and I have most of my gear either ready or almost ready (I.E. 109 Pedagogy head, 119 Academic's hands, artsieq pants), but Vanir Cotehardie seems almost totally out of reach at the moment. Are there any decent body pieces I can use in the mean time, or is it Vanir or bust? I've been looking at the Academic's body reforged, since it boosts dark arts it looks pretty good.

Thanks in advance

for what purpose? assuming fast cast, there is Anhur Robe, Haste is Hedera Cotehardie. Both can be a pain to get.

edit:: nvm, its for a stun set. you can try to get Hedera off of Morta. But honestly, I would shoot for Vanir. Probably easier/faster to obtain.
By Chimerawizard 2014-09-09 23:59:09
Link | Citer | R

So long as you can get a <9 second recast on stun and you don't resist, any body will do.
Make sure that you have 24 haste in gear and for math purposes assume you're at haste cap: 68.75% overal haste.
45sec*(1-.6875)*(1-(0.5*FastCast))*(1-JA)
If using the Apajamas II.
45sec*(1-.6875)*(1-(0.5*FastCast)-"Thunder Element Recast Time-")*(1-JA)

Before I quit last time I was using the mage body from morta.
By kithaofcerb 2014-09-10 00:09:13
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

Thanks in advance

for what purpose? assuming fast cast, there is Anhur Robe, Haste is Hedera Cotehardie. Both can be a pain to get.

edit:: nvm, its for a stun set. you can try to get Hedera off of Morta. But honestly, I would shoot for Vanir. Probably easier/faster to obtain.

So long as you can get a <9 second recast on stun and you don't resist, any body will do.
Make sure that you have 24 haste in gear and for math purposes assume you're at haste cap: 68.75% overal haste.
45sec*(1-.6875)*(1-(0.5*FastCast))*(1-JA)
If using the Apajamas II.
45sec*(1-.6875)*(1-(0.5*FastCast)-"Thunder Element Recast Time-")*(1-JA)

Before I quit last time I was using the mage body from morta.

So either VW bodies or Vanir...Seems like the options for new scholars are quite accessible, eh :P
By Chimerawizard 2014-09-10 00:23:25
Link | Citer | R

I didn't say you had to use either vanir or hedera. -_-

You can do it in hagondes if you want. Just focus on getting 9sec or less recast while keeping as much m.acc as you can, an iLvl staff should make the 2nd part easy. (can also augment that hagondes w/ FastCast or magic accuracy if you want)
Oh, don't count alacrity, you'll eventually run out of stratagems.
By kithaofcerb 2014-09-10 00:30:41
Link | Citer | R

I didn't say you had to use either vanir or hedera. -_-

You can do it in hagondes if you want. Just focus on getting 9sec or less recast while keeping as much m.acc as you can, an iLvl staff should make the 2nd part easy. (can also augment that hagondes w/ FastCast or magic accuracy if you want)
Oh, don't count alacrity, you'll eventually run out of stratagems.

I would only be counting Alacrity if for some reason I was under tabula rasa, which I believe is fair. I haven't tested with capped magic haste, but I believe my current gear puts me at about 12 seconds. Silly Relic feet won't drop! Thank you for your speedy responses :P
 Sylph.Oraen
Serveur: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-09-14 01:24:13
Link | Citer | R

I just came back to the game for the free week, and it's been almost a year and a half since I last played. Basically, I'm clueless and very far behind. I've picked up the Eminence set and managed to snag a Baqil staff from scary ice cat guy. I want to advance in content, and I figured scholar would be a good support role to do so since I don't have the items needed to be a competitive DD. I'm just confused on what my main goals should be for now. If anybody has some advice to steer me in the right direction for advancement, I'd really appreciate it.
By Chimerawizard 2014-09-14 03:02:20
Link | Citer | R

What should your goals be: Have fun.
Content you probably should be doing: Yorcia/Ra'Kaznar/Aluvian Skirmishes, Delve, SKCNMs, High-Tier Mission Battles, and Incursion.
for Gil, I suggest crafting, VWNMs, dynamis, salvage, & Walk of Echoes.

Do enough skirmish to make all the gear that comes from it that you plan to use on any job, +1 all that gear, and get some good augments. I suggest using the Wailing+2's you get spamming for gear upgrades to get at least decent pdt/mdt augments on each piece.

win at every delve zone, some of which sch isn't not used at much. yorcia, marjami, khamir. Those zones you will likely have a much easier time joining on geo, whm, or possibly rdm.

Reforge and +1 any AF/Relic equipment you plan to use, by doing SKCNMs and High-Tier mission battles. The SKCNMs you should be able to replace the whm no problem, but the high tier missions you will have to really be on your game to keep up with what a whm can do.

You can get some job points while farming gil by doing walk of echoes, the rate of either isn't that good in my opinion but it beats standing around town.

I haven't found a good spot for my scholar in Incursion where my whm couldn't do at least as good.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-14 03:02:27
Link | Citer | R

Really depends on your groups needs. Sch can fill several roles, depending on need. From stunner, main heal, debuffs, nuker, and with Incursion, crowd control. If you fully gear it, I would say Sch has the most gearsets of all the jobs, due to the wide range of roles it can fill.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 19:27:19
Link | Citer | R

So I've been stunning on SCH for a little bit, and would like to improve. I have a lot of trouble stunning the T4 - The Peiste, Tutehweihei or something like that - mob in Morimar, in terms of timing its TP moves. Does anybody have advice to give or is it all just practice?

This is my current stun set, and I'm looking to make improvements, any suggestions would help. I have never once stunned Tojil and seen a resist with this set.

Unfortunate MAB augments on Lehbrailg +2

ItemSet 329265

Swapping in Nahtirah Hat and Pedagogy +1 feet for when using Alacrity
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-10-14 19:41:45
Link | Citer | R

Just save your strategems for Peiste and stun as soon as you see it go into "TP ready" stance. Should be dead before you run out of strats.

If you're getting resists on Tojil with an iLv staff then that means it's taking longer to kill than it should and you should tell your DDs to hit it harder.
[+]
By fractalvoid 2014-10-14 19:50:05
Link | Citer | R

Sangoma Ring > Perception Ring
Enchanter's Earring +1 > Loquacious
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 20:17:31
Link | Citer | R

Just save your strategems for Peiste and stun as soon as you see it go into "TP ready" stance. Should be dead before you run out of strats.

If you're getting resists on Tojil with an iLv staff then that means it's taking longer to kill than it should and you should tell your DDs to hit it harder.

I have been quite lucky in getting some amazing DDs in my /shouts, so this has yet to be a problem.
In terms of the peiste, what you're telling me is exactly what I've asked all the {Veteran} SCH's on my server, so I've concluded I'm just not good at it yet, heh.

fractalvoid said: »
Sangoma Ring > Perception Ring
Enchanter's Earring +1 > Loquacious

Is Sangoma really worth the 250k plasm or whatever it is? 2 more Macc doesn't really seem like its worth that much when I have 1012347120364123401923 pieces to mezzotint.
By fractalvoid 2014-10-14 20:22:09
Link | Citer | R

Just go kill Dakuwaqa. It's still a pretty profitable boss to farm since fins and teeth sell pretty well. Also, if your group is good, the whole zone can be done in like 15minutes.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-10-14 20:22:46
Link | Citer | R

I have been quite lucky in getting some amazing DDs in my /shouts, so this has yet to be a problem.
Ah, I misread this comment:
Quote:
I have never once stunned Tojil and seen a resist with this set.
My bad.

Is Sangoma really worth the 250k plasm or whatever it is? 2 more Macc doesn't really seem like its worth that much when I have 1012347120364123401923 pieces to mezzotint.
Should be getting it for free as a direct drop!
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 20:25:20
Link | Citer | R

Just go kill Dakuwaqa. It's still a pretty profitable boss to farm since fins and teeth sell pretty well. Also, if your group is good, the whole zone can be done in like 15minutes.

Lack of Twilight Cloak has scared me away from trying to stun in Foret, since people will complain the Uragnite mob is dying too slow and there is never anybody but the SCH to blame for anything.
Also I don't believe that my nuke set is good enough to quickly remove his "I'm immune to stun *** you SCH" aura, hence why I have avoided the zone.
By Chimerawizard 2014-10-14 20:33:01
Link | Citer | R

Definately try to get a twilight cloak. Grab a friend or two, monk & thf preferably to bang them out til you get dorp.

On the other hand, I have been to foret before where we're samx2, bard, whm, sch & I don't manage to break aura the whole fight they take it down so fast.
By kithaofcerb 2014-10-14 20:36:03
Link | Citer | R

Definately try to get a twilight cloak. Grab a friend or two, monk & thf preferably to bang them out til you get dorp.

Yeah, need the mail too. I have MNK THF and WHM geared well enough to handle lolShinryu, but its the trouble of filling the other 2 spots usually ;( small Linkshell is small
By Pantafernando 2014-10-14 20:38:39
Link | Citer | R

Lack of Twilight Cloak has scared me away from trying to stun in Foret, since people will complain the Uragnite mob is dying too slow and there is never anybody but the SCH to blame for anything.
Also I don't believe that my nuke set is good enough to quickly remove his "I'm immune to stun *** you SCH" aura, hence why I have avoided the zone.

Also, dont think just casting impact will make urganite goes down fast. Normally, i make brd and sch spam enfeebs, and then urganite will drop with just one ran away, and possible none if dds are good enough.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberif
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberif 2014-10-14 20:57:58
Link | Citer | R

Definately try to get a twilight cloak.
^
you Need twilight cloak, get it.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-10-14 20:59:11
Link | Citer | R

With a good Myrkr set you can Impact/nuke every single NM and never run out of MP, too!
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 99 100 101