Merit Pt: Great! - Level Sync P.. *warps* GM Jail..? WTF D:?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Merit pt: Great! - Level sync p.. *warps* GM Jail..? WTF D:?
Merit pt: Great! - Level sync p.. *warps* GM Jail..? WTF D:?
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-03-22 10:23:21
Link | Citer | R

That's just disgusting... did the GM ever check the chat logs to see you wern't promoting just discussing? >< I get several /tells a day from Brogames and WarCup one of them even ruined a CoP cs for me /fume

And yeah do whatever it takes to get your record cleaned, the last thing you want is to get perma banned on the next incident (if there ever is one) because your "warning" was used up for sumthing stupid that wasn't deserved.
 Siren.Antigod
Serveur: Siren
user: AnTi90d
By Siren.Antigod 2009-03-22 10:51:11
Link | Citer | R

They'd shut down all the RMT tells if they would just stop the free trial with no credit card.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 11:35:06
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

When it comes to RMT, it seems like SE has turned into this guy:

User submitted image

Ninja edit: For those who never studied US History in school, this is none other than Joseph McCarthy. He was a senator in the 50s which during the early phases of the cold war took the "Red Scare" to new extremes. He abused his power to cause mass paranoia and would incriminate anyone he (unjustly) believed was involved (no matter how big or small) with communism. Many innocents were wrongly convicted of being associated with the USSR or spreading communist influences.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 12:17:39
Link | Citer | R

Ashman said:
P.S. <3 Elk XD

lol <33 How would I be able to get it off my record though if that is the case? Q_Q
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 12:18:35

Ask for an SGM and explain your situation and appeal your charges and see if it's possible to take this "mark" on your record off so you won't be accused on a higher charge for the next thing you do.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-22 12:21:01
Link | Citer | R

Treborris said:
Yea guys its starting to get pathetic that SE is starting to ban people and their accounts when I see RMT at least 5 of them running through Mount Zhayolm each day within a cycle of about 20 minutes mining. Its sad that SE goes after/punishes the innocent when you have actual RMT being reported and nothing being done about it.

I'm a very avid miner... I spend countless hours every week out in Mount Zhayolm. I can tell you the same RMT problem in that zone on your server is happening to Mount Zhayolm across all servers. It gets so bad on Diabolos sometimes, that the RMT characters will have so many people in the zone that they just sit and camp at mining points, instead of running around. Thus making it practically impossible to mine. Those that dont camp will just follow you around and mine on top of any point you come across.

I've made it a habit to keep records of each character I come across while mining that I might suspect to be RMT. Every few days, I send the updated list to the Special Task Force via email.

Occasionally I'll call a GM about it. The GM normally has the same cookie cutter responses that everyone gets... but I did get one that talked to me a little more in-depth about the issue.

He basically said that it takes so long to ban these characters because they essentially have to PROVE that the character is in fact involved in RMT. So they're basically just following the gil flow, which while not terribly difficult, obviously takes time. They assured me they pretty much just watch and wait for the gil to connect to a known RMT, and then they ban everyone who had thier hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. All this takes time.

On Diabolos... the RMTs always come back to Mount Zhayolm. They get banned, and just start new accounts. Level WHM to like 28, and run right back out to the Mount. But my action of sending thier names to the STF regularly has worked well. They DO get banned, eventually. And it normally leaves five or six days of RMT-free mining when it happens, sometimes more. You just have to consistently /search the zone, since the STF obviously wont tell you they banned some folks. It can take weeks, but it's worth it.

I also told the GM that they should implement some sort of fatigue on mining, similar to what they did with fishing to cut down on RMT. He said it was a good idea, so maybe he'll mention it to someone and we'll see that soon.

As far as the original topic goes... I guess I talked about mining because the principal works here too. Simply report any RMT activity you come across. It's not difficult to log on to the POL website and send an email to the STF... it's anonymous, takes 5 minutes. You dont have to call and wait on a GM. You get RMT /tells all the time? write down thier names and send the names to the STF. The more information they get from real players, the better they'll be able to fix the situation.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 12:26:58

The RMT that advertise by creating free trial characters is the real problem. It's hard to go after them specifically because once they do a run, they delete the character and remake one and repeat the process to dodge the bullet and any specific reports made against them.

Their accounts could be shut down, but it's a free trial account that requires no credit card anyways, so no skin off their back. However, I'm sure SE will come up with something in time to nip these guys in the bud.

I see this with a silver lining though. If RMT is so desperate they have to resort to sending tells to advertise their dying market then in due time business will be bad enough where we rid them altogether. I only hope this happens sooner than later.
 Seraph.Darkvision
Serveur: Seraph
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-03-22 16:08:14
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:

Their accounts could be shut down, but it's a free trial account that requires no credit card anyways, so no skin off their back. However, I'm sure SE will come up with something in time to nip these guys in the bud.

then SE should block the IP address or something that the person is loggin on as. if they do that and like 10 RMTs are on the same connection then good bye RMTs
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-22 16:14:44
Link | Citer | R

Darkvision said:
Artemicion said:

then SE should block the IP address or something that the person is loggin on as. if they do that and like 10 RMTs are on the same connection then good bye RMTs

It would definitely help, but I'm guessing RMT would somehow find a way around that, TBH.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-22 16:18:45
Link | Citer | R

The easier answer would be to disable /t on Trial accounts unless someone /t you first and /sh constantly.. Wouldn't block potential players from being able to play properly with a full account either.
 Siren.Bungie
Serveur: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-03-22 16:22:41
Link | Citer | R

typical SE/GM/STF type ***. always doing something HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to null out the good they "might" do.
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
Serveur: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2009-03-22 16:30:26
Link | Citer | R

wonder why they didnt get Deemos/Futchy to me he looks like the Gilbuyer. bt then again i might be wrong. and dam it sucks they banned you
 Odin.Karusan
Serveur: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-03-22 18:28:10
Link | Citer | R

Granted SE probably hasn't taken much response to other players that do in game advertising but that's pretty much exactly what you were doing so SE had a right to ban regardless of what the conversation was about.

1. You mentioned a website.
2. You mentioned what the website provides.
3. You mentioned prices.

Regardless of the context you said it in, that's advertising and it encourages people to go and look at those websites. Those people that are saying SE is useless because of this should realise that SE pretty much go by a formula when these things happen and you broke that formula, hence the ban.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 18:42:05
Link | Citer | R

The countries that most RMT work from have bans on MMO's and RMT-like transactions already. This means in order to operate, they need to have their IP addresses proxied and anonymized already. This makes banning at the IP level -- geographic or otherwise -- useless.
 Asura.Reublucian
Serveur: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-22 18:54:40

Really sorry that happened to you that sounds beat man, they obviously didn't take more time to investigate, do you think someone called a GM on you?
 Seraph.Darkvision
Serveur: Seraph
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-03-22 18:55:00
Link | Citer | R

Hitetsu said:
The easier answer would be to disable /t on Trial accounts unless someone /t you first and /sh constantly.. Wouldn't block potential players from being able to play properly with a full account either.

it is a good idea but what about genuin players? they will be hindered by this. if they want to speak to somone that happens to be a mentor as such for some advice then they will not be able to do so.

so yeah its a good idea but also a bad one at the same time
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-22 19:20:18
Link | Citer | R

Sovereign said:
Treborris said:
Yea guys its starting to get pathetic that SE is starting to ban people and their accounts when I see RMT at least 5 of them running through Mount Zhayolm each day within a cycle of about 20 minutes mining. Its sad that SE goes after/punishes the innocent when you have actual RMT being reported and nothing being done about it.

I'm a very avid miner... I spend countless hours every week out in Mount Zhayolm. I can tell you the same RMT problem in that zone on your server is happening to Mount Zhayolm across all servers. It gets so bad on Diabolos sometimes, that the RMT characters will have so many people in the zone that they just sit and camp at mining points, instead of running around. Thus making it practically impossible to mine. Those that dont camp will just follow you around and mine on top of any point you come across.

I've made it a habit to keep records of each character I come across while mining that I might suspect to be RMT. Every few days, I send the updated list to the Special Task Force via email.

Occasionally I'll call a GM about it. The GM normally has the same cookie cutter responses that everyone gets... but I did get one that talked to me a little more in-depth about the issue.

He basically said that it takes so long to ban these characters because they essentially have to PROVE that the character is in fact involved in RMT. So they're basically just following the gil flow, which while not terribly difficult, obviously takes time. They assured me they pretty much just watch and wait for the gil to connect to a known RMT, and then they ban everyone who had thier hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. All this takes time.

On Diabolos... the RMTs always come back to Mount Zhayolm. They get banned, and just start new accounts. Level WHM to like 28, and run right back out to the Mount. But my action of sending thier names to the STF regularly has worked well. They DO get banned, eventually. And it normally leaves five or six days of RMT-free mining when it happens, sometimes more. You just have to consistently /search the zone, since the STF obviously wont tell you they banned some folks. It can take weeks, but it's worth it.

I also told the GM that they should implement some sort of fatigue on mining, similar to what they did with fishing to cut down on RMT. He said it was a good idea, so maybe he'll mention it to someone and we'll see that soon.

As far as the original topic goes... I guess I talked about mining because the principal works here too. Simply report any RMT activity you come across. It's not difficult to log on to the POL website and send an email to the STF... it's anonymous, takes 5 minutes. You dont have to call and wait on a GM. You get RMT /tells all the time? write down thier names and send the names to the STF. The more information they get from real players, the better they'll be able to fix the situation.

^^ This. I've done a few mining runs myself (would be a lot more if not for the RMT) and they little rats are a real pain. It's pretty easy to determine which ones are actual RMT and which ones are real players. If there are people you're not sure on, report them to the STF as well and mention them as a maybe. If they're not doing anything wrong then they won't get banned or get a mark against them since there'll be no proof against them.
The only thing I don't agree with is the mining fatigue, potentially a good idea, but what it will mean is that the RMT make three times as many characters and mine in shifts to get around it, which will just make it that much harder to report them all and you'll lose that 5-6 day window after they get banned.
But yeah, obviously this is a little off the OP, what Karu said is quite probably why you got banned. So fight it, speak to a SGM or supervisor on POL chat and have a good talk about it, and then just be a little more careful in the future. Obviously someone that over-heard your conversation misunderstood you and reported you, so don't let that situation happen.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-22 19:44:39
Link | Citer | R

Oh, my God, Elk. Are you *** serious XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

TBH This is just as funny as Zedge being called RMT for actually leveling BLM on his taru. LMFAO. <3333
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-22 19:46:46
Link | Citer | R

Karusan said:
Granted SE probably hasn't taken much response to other players that do in game advertising but that's pretty much exactly what you were doing so SE had a right to ban regardless of what the conversation was about.

3. You mentioned prices.

Regardless of the context you said it in, that's advertising and it encourages people to go and look at those websites. Those people that are saying SE is useless because of this should realise that SE pretty much go by a formula when these things happen and you broke that formula, hence the ban.

I see... you do have a point....

/comfort Elk, we're gonna have a good laugh about this XD No offense to you bro, it's just you're like the last person to be called RMT XD You're too busy hittin' on the laydeez ;D
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-03-22 20:02:32
Link | Citer | R

PWND ELK
PWND

lol jk, see you in ga- OH YEAH I WONT
jk again :3 <3
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 20:17:27

It's only a temp ban right? =/
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 21:16:37
Link | Citer | R

Anye said:
Karusan said:

3. You mentioned prices.

I see... you do have a point....

/comfort Elk, we're gonna have a good laugh about this XD No offense to you bro, it's just you're like the last person to be called RMT XD You're too busy hittin' on the laydeez ;D

Shouldve thrown the JP Button out. Mightve been on a lil longer that night. And it happened in.. Valkurm Dunes. >.>; the most horrid of zones to party Q_Q
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 21:16:51
Link | Citer | R

Erikthecleric said:
PWND ELK
PWND

lol jk, see you in ga- OH YEAH I WONT
jk again :3 <3

lulz Erik <33 ;_;
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 21:17:33
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
It's only a temp ban right? =/

Yea, it is. I'll be back on around the 26th. oh well I guess. Can't do much. Gotta settle for the torture of Narutard episodes Q_Q
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 21:24:08
Link | Citer | R

Karusan said:

3. You mentioned prices.

Regardless of the context you said it in, that's advertising and it encourages people to go and look at those websites. Those people that are saying SE is useless because of this should realize that SE pretty much go by a formula when these things happen and you broke that formula, hence the ban.

I never mentioned prices. I never mentioned what the site provides. I mentioned only the site. Out of those 3, I get a temp band? If they really knew about the sites though, is it possible that they really don't "Try" to ban the websites? I know the internet text and data is al over the place, but I'm sure there's something that could be done, no? =o
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-22 21:31:36
Link | Citer | R

Elkanah said:

I'm sure there's something that could be done, no? =o

No.

And then again RMT isn't illegal in itself. There's a difference between some *** EULA company like SE makes you accept when you play and the law. So SE cannot do anything against these websites.

Also believe me, SE don't want to see -all- RMT disappear. Let's say I'm gil buyer, I *need* to buy gils in order to enjoy my FF XI. Now let's say all RMT has been taken down by SE. What a frustrated gil buyer like me will do ? Go fish manta all day to get 500K ? Hell no, I'd just cancel my subscription, buy some WoW gold and a lv80 char...

Suppressing the supply won't suppress the demand, as long as demand exists, RMT will exist. If it's not huge company like IGE and such, it'll be small trade directly between players, through dedicated boards or auction website.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 21:57:43
Link | Citer | R

Hm, you may be right. I guess there's not much I can do then lol except not mention it again i suppose =x

As for Karusan, I was curious. Lets say I did mention somethin, ok?

For a second. Let's say I did mention a website. And what the purpose of the site is. And I mentioned prices.

You'd know that by me saying nothing about it..?
Unless you were on the server Ragnarok, in aht Urhgan Whitegate that day, listening to everything said in {/say} mode, you might've understood what was said that day. Or, you could be part of the GM's that was watching Ragnarok Server while you have your own char on Odin. Just a thought that crossed my mind. >:o
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-22 22:05:10
Link | Citer | R

Or, he might just be assuming you said those three things because you told us all you said them on the first page <_<

Elkanah said:
...while talking to a few peeps in {/Say} around the Entrance square to Al Zahbi. We were mentioning some crap about the sites that still have NOT been takin' care of by the Special Task Force, even though they were given MORE than enough complaints about the sites that are still up, and being used in {/tell} mode.

I mentioned the one that comes up ALL the time about every day to me, in {/tell}, Brogame.

Elkanah said:
I was actually just talkin to some friends outside the shell currently, about how Brogames is one of the big names I see A LOT from tells I receive. Some see it way too much as well. IGE i hardly ever hear of these days, but know its up and still running. Just mentioned some crap about how they give these lulz coupons for $5 off your damn purchases.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-22 22:06:05
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
Or, he might just be assuming you said those three things because you told us all you said them on the first page <_<

Elkanah said:
...while talking to a few peeps in {/Say} around the Entrance square to Al Zahbi. We were mentioning some crap about the sites that still have NOT been takin' care of by the Special Task Force, even though they were given MORE than enough complaints about the sites that are still up, and being used in {/tell} mode.

I mentioned the one that comes up ALL the time about every day to me, in {/tell}, Brogame.

Elkanah said:
I was actually just talkin to some friends outside the shell currently, about how Brogames is one of the big names I see A LOT from tells I receive. Some see it way too much as well. IGE i hardly ever hear of these days, but know its up and still running. Just mentioned some crap about how they give these lulz coupons for $5 off your damn purchases.

{slowga} sorry xD my bad. <33
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-22 22:06:30
Link | Citer | R

lol