Forum » FFXIV » General » Final Fantasy XIV General
Final Fantasy XIV General
First Page 2 ... 33 34 35
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 08:57:21
Link | Citer | R

Well seeing as we're getting a load of threads pop up on different things popping into the game, I thought it would be easier if I made a general thread.

Firstly, I'd like to say the following:

If you want to come into this thread just to start ***with people who are going to buy XIV, please refrain from doing so. I'm not making you do this, but nearly every XIV thread so far has gone to the flame-core, and I'd rather keep at least one topic about the game that will be civil. If you have a personal opinion on the game, then feel free to vent it, but please do it in a positive way instead of flame-baiting. Thanks.

I thought I'd start off with some general information on the different aspects of the game. All this information has been gathered from The XIV website or interviews.

Here we go!

Story
The Age of Adventure
Men are wont to suffer
And forget wherein they’ve sinned
Ne’er hearkening back on tragedies past
Lest the Twelve might humble them
— Unknown

Countless moons have waxed and waned since wandering tribes from across Hydaelyn first arrived in Eorzea and settled its untamed lands. The benevolent deities who ruled the empty continent and its surrounding islands were impressed with the resilience of these primitive men and women, and in an act of mercy each saw fit to ensure their welfare.

These gods and goddesses soon came to be known as the Twelve, and the villages thrived in their light until the land was bespeckled with several independent city-states. Though, where man walks, strife follows, and for generations, these tiny nations carved out a history of blood and betrayal built upon broken oaths and the sun-bleached bones of the fallen.

However, the fate of the land would soon change. Not fifteen years past, a new threat appeared without warning from the east. Metal-clad warriors brandishing weapons that spewed streams of fire, fleets of behemoth airships belching oily smoke that would block out the sun for days at a time... A resistance was amassed, but to little avail, and it was not long before Ala Mhigo, once considered the most powerful of the remaining six Eorzean city-states, had fallen to the mighty Garlean Empire.

As the empire’s dreadnaughts continued their march of terror across the blood-soaked fields of the north, the remaining nations put aside their differences and clandestinely joined hands to form a loose alliance to ensure they not meet the same fate, should the invaders turn their eyes southward.

Fortunately, the invasion never came, and just as quickly as it had arrived, the empire was gone again. However, echoes of their grim message rang clear in the hearts of Eorzea’s people—its effect on them, profound and irreversible. The realm would never be the same.

And it was thus that Eorzea slipped into the “Age of Calm,” during which an uneasy peace prevailed.

To prepare for the coming storm, the first task of the newly-formed alliance was to fortify their defenses. In the previous era, few city-states maintained organized militaries, opting instead to hire the services of mercenaries and hedge knights to champion their causes. However, after the fall of Ala Mhigo, city guard units were restructured into legitimate standing armies which could be quickly called upon and mobilized if the need arose.

Unfortunately, this left a majority of the realm’s hireswords with nowhere to pledge their fealty, and with their livelihood ripped out from under them, many of these men and women resorted to acts of villainy to survive. For fear of the situation worsening and the land falling into chaos, several respected leaders from around Eorzea gathered together and formed a network of guilds to provide these lost souls with the opportunity to redeem themselves by aiding others.

Through the foresight and resolve of these leaders a new industry known as “adventuring” emerged, its advent helping usher in the current era—an era of hope in a time when shadows of uncertainty loom ever closer.

A Realm Divided

It is nigh on ten years since the fearsome beings known as the primals first appeared in these lands. Ten years since they were summoned forth by the destructive ambition of the beast tribes. Ten years, and still those tribes, drunk on the power granted them by the primals, continue to wreak havoc upon the free peoples of Eorzea.

To the northeast, the Garlean Empire stirs, casting an ominous shadow across the realm. Seeking dominion over the continent of Aldenard, the Garleans set out on a campaign of conquest, smiting all opposition with their superior technology and overwhelming military might. In a relentless drive to the south and west, they lay ruin to the once flourishing city-state of Ala Mhigo.

It is in the midst of this embattled Eorzea that a mysterious power surfaces. Known simply as the Echo, it is said cause the souls of those touched by it to resonate with others. And of this is born the ability to relive their past experiences—to see and feel them as though they were one’s own.

Can these seeds of the past somehow serve to sow hope for the future?

What is the origin of this eldritch power?

Is it a deific gift of righteousness? Or the deception of some sinister sorcery?

To what end has it been given?

The search for the answers to such questions falls to you. So go forth. Seek out and join your brethren. And together claim your place among legends in the annals of time.

The World

Races

The Hyur

The Miqo’te

The Lalafell

The Elezen

The Roegadyn
[to be continued]
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 09:00:37
Link | Citer | R

Eorzea
The Mapping of Eorzea
The vast realm of Eorzea, comprising the continent of Aldenard and its outlying islands, has seen the rise of a civlization with peoples as diverse as its environs. Throughout its history, the landscape has played home to a number of city–states–the tenuous relations among them fluctuating between friendly and hostile.

The pantheon of the Twelve is followed devoutly by most, and doctrine holds that the past wars of the realm were the wars of the heavens, with the gods and goddesses laying their favor with nations to champion them. In this way, war spread throughout the realm, discouraging unity and peace.

As a result, years passed without the lay of the land and its borders ever being mapped in their entirety. It was not until some 70 years ago, when an intrepid soul set out to wander the land, at great peril to himself, that the first map of Eorzea was completed.

Since then, the original rendering has been amended and improved by others, and the form it takes today is used by adventurers across the realm as an indispensable guide on their travels.

Limsa Lominsa
"No man may tread on me, for I am the sea."

Gridania
"Each tree, each leaf, each shrub, each blade of grass---- We treat them as our own sons and daughters. And for that we are loved by this wood."

Ul'dah
"Everyone here is after something---Fame, notoriety, power, money. Me? I'll have the bloody lot!"
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 09:01:03
Link | Citer | R

[NOTE: There are in fact more classes, they just haven't been announced yet]
Gameplay

Armoury system
A Discipline to Call Your Own

“Every soul must needs have a code,
a purpose, to guide them.
Else chaos would consume us all.”

In general, there is a fourfold classification of adventurers based on the disciplinary paths to which they devote themselves: Disciples of War, masters of arms who live for the call of combat; Disciples of Magic, erudite researchers of all things esoteric; Disciples of the Land, gatherers of material resources and students of the natural order; and Disciples of the Hand, crafters who invest their creative ingenuity in synthesis and industry.

Players may opt to specialize in one discipline, excelling in a single skill, or they may take a more general approach, making free use of the Armoury. The choice is yours.

Disciples of War
“The advancement of a nation may be gauged by its ability to craft weapons,
but its future depends on its ability to craft wars.”

Followers of this discipline devote themselves to the mastery of weapons and the wars waged with them. Through rigorous physical training, they hone their minds and bodies into instruments of combat, ever ready to make a decisive contribution to the cycle of conflict which plagues Eorzea.

Pugilist
Fisticuffs of Fury

Gladiator
The Best Defence

Marauder
Lust for Destruction

Archer
Notch, Draw, Loose

Lancer
So Close, Yet So Far
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 09:01:24
Link | Citer | R

Disciples Of Magic
“Aether knows neither sacred nor profane, yet resides in all creation. Embrace it,
and a timeless power will be yours.“

The path of magic beckons to those with a restless desire to study and command sorcery in all its forms. Its adherents use artifacts and relics to call upon and channel forces within themselves and the aether around them, weaving their destructive and restorative spells in the service of Eorzea.

Conjurer
In One’s Element
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-27 09:22:30
Link | Citer | R

I like what you did, Filon, thank you. I'll try and scrounge up some information to add in here(Though thats been hard for me..) I only know a few things.

Character creation will be extremely customizable. For example, You can get down to such details as eye color, on each eye separately I was told.(And some pictures have even shown it, though right now I can't find them..) I'll get back with more information soon, I hope..
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 09:29:57
Link | Citer | R

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
I like what you did, Filon, thank you. I'll try and scrounge up some information to add in here(Though thats been hard for me..) I only know a few things.

Character creation will be extremely customizable. For example, You can get down to such details as eye color, on each eye separately I was told.(And some pictures have even shown it, though right now I can't find them..) I'll get back with more information soon, I hope..

Np, I've had about 6 or 7 people PM me about information on the game, so I thought I'd make a thread where everyone can chime in with a bit of info. I'm just putting the basics in atm. They're on the website, but it might be easier to see it here.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-27 10:41:02
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Np, I've had about 6 or 7 people PM me about information on the game, so I thought I'd make a thread where everyone can chime in with a bit of info. I'm just putting the basics in atm. They're on the website, but it might be easier to see it here.

Aye, Its nice to have everything here and not have to look at other sites, or multiple links. I'll do my best to add input, but some things I said I wouldn't share due to having someone trust me with the info.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-27 13:14:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Halloween said:
It's actually ok to share info now. they've lifted the restriction...especially considering there is no more closed beta at this point.

You're kind of right about the eye colors. Again, it's a drop-down menu of a couple dozen eye colors, and a few of them are heterochromia options.

Well, they gave me information with my word I wouldn't share it. Not so much the SE 'no releasing information' thing ;x

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-27 13:37:35
Link | Citer | R

So...***...pretty...; ;
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-27 13:38:32
Link | Citer | R

Temp stickied this thread for now. Will leave it for awhile as long as it stays civil.

Asura.Halloween said:
this is intriguing... what sort of info does a beta tester have that's so juicy it can't be shared?
It's not a question of juiciness, it's a question of legality. Sharing beta information after signing a legally binding contract saying you won't (NDA) can prompt a lawsuit if SE thinks it's worth their while.

As we're still unclear exactly what SE thinks of this site, I'd prefer not to open ourselves up to such a thing more than necessary.

If it's information that's already out there in public, I'm not quite as worried. But if you're posting links to private client downloads or similar, like a few previous threads, I will nuke it.
 Valefor.Eirinne
Serveur: Valefor
user: Eirinne
By Valefor.Eirinne 2010-08-27 13:39:35
Link | Citer | R

you can't do each eye separate, some races have two different color eyes and you can choose color combos.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-27 13:40:34
Link | Citer | R

a Highlander Pugilist tappin the *** of a Moon Seeker... classy :D
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 14:06:43
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Temp stickied this thread for now. Will leave it for awhile as long as it stays civil.

Asura.Halloween said:
this is intriguing... what sort of info does a beta tester have that's so juicy it can't be shared?
It's not a question of juiciness, it's a question of legality. Sharing beta information after signing a legally binding contract saying you won't (NDA) can prompt a lawsuit if SE thinks it's worth their while.

As we're still unclear exactly what SE thinks of this site, I'd prefer not to open ourselves up to such a thing more than necessary.

If it's information that's already out there in public, I'm not quite as worried. But if you're posting links to private client downloads or similar, like a few previous threads, I will nuke it.

Cheers Jae. I'm going to have a nap and then I'll finish the information off. I haven't got that much to do still.

Just as an update, the Open beta is beginning Aug 31st.

Be back in a few hours.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-27 21:26:23
Link | Citer | R

Am I the only one who sees that and thinks of Nazi Vikings? It's probably the color palette.

Anyway, my only question right now is Why is Judge Gabranth in the Trailer, and why is he calling in a Low Orbit Ion Cannon strike?
[+]
 Asura.Domz
Serveur: Asura
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2010-08-27 22:25:27
Link | Citer | R

i still cant think of which starting city i should be...
which city do you guys think would be considered the most modern of the three?
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-28 03:22:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Domz said:
i still cant think of which starting city i should be...
which city do you guys think would be considered the most modern of the three?

I personally am thinking of it like this:

Each city has a craft. Blacksmithing will be making weapons, clothcrafting will be making cloth-ish armor, and leathercraft will be making leather-ish armor. Each city will more then likely be supporting each craft in starting zones with more items for it. (Ex, blacksmithing items in blacksmithing town) I need to dive into the information and see if I'm right with the above stuff, since if I can make my own weapons only, or if I can make myself weapons and metal armor with blacksmithing,(I plan to start as a tank >.>) then my choice is made.
 Asura.Domz
Serveur: Asura
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2010-08-28 03:31:37
Link | Citer | R

hmm in that case should probably work in a cloth and woodwork city as i plan on being a mage again. someones gotta keep the meatbags alive =p
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-08-28 03:33:28
Link | Citer | R

I'm going to start off in the one least like Sandy lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-28 05:19:23
Link | Citer | R

I'll be starting In Ul'Dah ^^

I love the Flag, and I love the feel of the town :D
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-08-28 05:54:10
Link | Citer | R

Starting in Gridania as a Lalafell prolly :)
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-28 05:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Still torn on where I'm starting. Gridania is kind of ruled out, unless the forest is wide and open like something you'd see in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Not THAT open, but not tree-covered corridors like Yuhtunga and Yhoator Jungle).

Ul'dha or Limsa Lominsa, I really like the La Noscea landscape, and the Limsa Flag, but I've heard Limsa is terribly designed... So not ruling out convenience overturning visual fidelity.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-28 06:08:39
Link | Citer | R

God damn it, it's going to be a gigantic pain to fit in the crafting classes due to the 5 spoiler limit >.>
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-28 06:14:14
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
God damn it, it's going to be a gigantic pain to fit in the crafting classes due to the 5 spoiler limit >.>

Lol, want me to add them since I was the first to reply? If so, just send me a PM with what you want and I'll copy paste it :p
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-28 06:15:58
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Lol, want me to add them since I was the first to reply? If so, just send me a PM with what you want and I'll copy paste it :p

Actually that would be really handy lol thanks. I'll send you a PM in the next hour or so once I've formatted it ^^

Is it looking Ok as is? if you notice any errors let me know...

I know it's kind of pointless to be reproducing the websites information, but I think a lot of people don't check the website do idc lol.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-28 06:26:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Actually that would be really handy lol thanks. I'll send you a PM in the next hour or so once I've formatted it ^^

Is it looking Ok as is? if you notice any errors let me know...

I know it's kind of pointless to be reproducing the websites information, but I think a lot of people don't check the website do idc lol.

Aye, I like it like I said. I havn't noticed any errors, infact, the way your formating it is rather nice

Also, ok, I'll keep refreshing everty 5mins or so and once I get the message, I'll edit that post of mine XD
 Titan.Oxygen
Serveur: Titan
user: Oxygen
By Titan.Oxygen 2010-08-28 06:29:15
Link | Citer | R

Will there be any pros and cons between choosing to specialize in one discipline vs. using the armory system? (Access to different quests, skill progression restraints that sort of thing?)

I haven't seen any information on this yet aside from bazaar use. Will there be an Auction House in FFXIV?

First Page 2 ... 33 34 35