FFT A2 Grimoire Of The Rift? Should I?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFT A2 Grimoire of the Rift? Should I?
FFT A2 Grimoire of the Rift? Should I?
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 16:48:44
Link | Citer | R

Ok, I like the look of the races and jobs in FFT A2. Never played FFT ADV, and don't really have an interest in it. I have the PSP remake of FFT and I don't really like it. It seems slow-paced, little to no side-quests and if it DID have any, I don't remember them because I didn't find them fun. That being said, anyone who has played both; Should I buy FFT A2 or will I hate it like FFT? I really don't want to waste my money on another game I won't really enjoy *glances at FFT: The War of the Lions and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny*

Any opinions?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 16:52:00
Link | Citer | R

I played FFT:A, FFT:A2, and FFT: War of the Lions.

I love FFTA2 - it's the only other DS game I play besides Mario and Pokemon. I even recommend FFTA since they did do a lot of changes to A2 - some for better, some for worse (imo that is). Nontheless, it's heavily based off of FFT:A in terms of gameplay, just more jobs/races/weapons.

I definitely recommend it.
 Caitsith.Linear
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-03 16:54:20
Link | Citer | R

All the tactics games are fairly similar.

Adv and A2 are just a little sillier and a little more restricting on jobs, because some are race specific.

Adv and A2 also have only a few occasions where a character left incapacitated for too long will die forever.

If you didn't like the original Tactics, you probably wont like A2. Or so I'd think. The Original was by far my favorite of the three Tactics.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 16:54:35
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I played FFT:A, FFT:A2, and FFT: War of the Lions. I love FFTA2 - it's the only other DS game I play besides Mario and Pokemon. I even recommend FFTA since they did do a lot of changes to A2 - some for better, some for worse (imo that is). Nontheless, it's heavily based off of FFT:A in terms of gameplay, just more jobs/races/weapons. I definitely recommend it.

So, it's better than FFT? I bought FFT for a trip to work out of town and was disappointed, I went back to maxing crap out on Dissidia.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 16:56:45
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Linear said:
All the tactics games are fairly similar. Adv and A2 are just a little sillier and a little more restricting on jobs, because some are race specific. Adv and A2 also have only a few occasions where a character left incapacitated for too long will die forever. If you didn't like the original Tactics, you probably wont like A2.

FFT does that, too, if they are left K.O.'d for like 3-4 turns.

I like the different races with different specialties (exclusive jobs). Is it more fast-paced than FFT, tho, story-wise?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 17:01:40
Link | Citer | R

Only in FFT:A will a character die in a Jagd level (if left unconscious after the match is over) . You cannot lose a character due to death in FFT:A2. You'd have to manually give 'em the boot from your clan.

It's far better than FFT. Much easier, but still challenging.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-03 17:03:11
Link | Citer | R

I'd say it is. If you just play through it to get the story over with, it's a relatively short game. But clan wars and stuff certainly can make it a pretty long game. I didn't invest nearly as much time into A2 as I did in A and the original, though.

Battles area a bit faster too, and I feel the AI is a little dumber, so a mistake in A/A2 wont cause you as much trouble as it would in Tactics.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 17:04:51
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, on non-story missions the AI can be pretty random. You can also make some pretty broken job combos like Smn/Rdm (double-cast Madeen wtf? Ownage.)
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 17:05:02
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Only in FFT:A will a character die in a Jagd level (if left unconscious after the match is over) . You cannot lose a character due to death in FFT:A2. You'd have to manually give 'em the boot from your clan. It's far better than FFT. Much easier, but still challenging.
Caitsith.Linear said:
I'd say it is. If you just play through it to get the story over with, it's a relatively short game. But clan wars and stuff certainly can make it a pretty long game. I didn't invest nearly as much time into A2 as I did in A and the original, though. Battles area a bit faster too, and I feel the AI is a little dumber, so a mistake in A/A2 wont cause you as much trouble as it would in Tactics.

I'd have to say I like it, and not being able to lose characters via penalty is a turn-on.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 17:07:37
Link | Citer | R

Now, if you break the law on the field, then you can no longer revive those dead in the battle. Keep that in mind. They'll still be there after you finish the fight.

Say you have 6 people out, and two are dead.
If you break the law, they'll appear in jail cells on the top screen of the DS. They can no longer be revived for the remainder of the fight.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-03 17:09:24
Link | Citer | R

Oh god, the laws. Only thing that annoyed me about those games.

I lost so much gil and had to redo battles so often.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 17:12:10
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Now, if you break the law on the field, then you can no longer revive those dead in the battle. Keep that in mind. They'll still be there after you finish the fight. Say you have 6 people out, and two are dead. If you break the law, they'll appear in jail cells on the top screen of the DS. They can no longer be revived for the remainder of the fight.

So, basically they are just additional rules to work around? Just one per battle?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 17:17:50
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, just one rule. Some are simple, some are absolutely horrible, such as "No attacking." Yes, the law says not to attack. It's super rare, but it's basically the game's way of saying "lolnoreviving4u."

For every law, there's a bonus too. I forgot what the bonus does...hmmm. Be sure to pay attention though - I can't tell you how many times I'll forget that the law is "No Area Effect" and then I use a magic spell...

In FFT:A, the laws applied to both the player and the enemies, now it only applies to the player (story reasons.)
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 17:27:58
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Yeah, just one rule. Some are simple, some are absolutely horrible, such as "No attacking." Yes, the law says not to attack. It's super rare, but it's basically the game's way of saying "lolnoreviving4u." For every law, there's a bonus too. I forgot what the bonus does...hmmm. Be sure to pay attention though - I can't tell you how many times I'll forget that the law is "No Area Effect" and then I use a magic spell... In FFT:A, the laws applied to both the player and the enemies, now it only applies to the player (story reasons.)

Couldn't 'No Attacking' be done through casting spells or is that covered, too?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 17:31:01
Link | Citer | R

Well, I think the 'all attacks' is covered under 'Dealing Damage.'

'No attacking' means just the normal attack, I think. It has been awhile so my memory is a little fuzzy.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 17:35:11
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Well, I think the 'all attacks' is covered under 'Dealing Damage.' 'No attacking' means just the normal attack, I think. It has been awhile so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Is it annoyingly screwed up to get new characters?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 17:58:53
Link | Citer | R

Nope, they just randomly try to join after battles. There are many guides to assist on how to get particular races and jobs (you can sometimes find a race with a job you would originally need to unlock for that character from a lower job) so I'll let those explain that, since I forgot the patterns and stuff. You'll have a full clan in no time, but you also want to watch out for balancing the races (you only really need two Seeq and Gria each.)

I'll tell you right now - if you want to get all the secret characters, always leave 6 slots open since there are 6 of them. It'll be less annoying when you have a full clan then find a secret character, forcing you to get rid of someone that you spent time training (you don't HAVE to but it would be silly not to use the secret characters).
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:07:47
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Nope, they just randomly try to join after battles. There are many guides to assist on how to get particular races and jobs (you can sometimes find a race with a job you would originally need to unlock for that character from a lower job) so I'll let those explain that, since I forgot the patterns and stuff. You'll have a full clan in no time, but you also want to watch out for balancing the races (you only really need two Seeq and Gria each.) I'll tell you right now - if you want to get all the secret characters, always leave 6 slots open since there are 6 of them. It'll be less annoying when you have a full clan then find a secret character, forcing you to get rid of someone that you spent time training (you don't HAVE to but it would be silly not to use the secret characters).

I read up a bit on it, Penelo is considered a Viera.. wtf? >.>

I'll be ordering it soonish. :D
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 18:09:52
Link | Citer | R

Her Dnc/Whm combo is pretty awesome. You never have to worry about dying and if everyone is healed up, she can still dish out nasty damage and status effects.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:11:01
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Her Dnc/Whm combo is pretty awesome. You never have to worry about dying and if everyone is healed up, she can still dish out nasty damage and status effects.

Thx for the info, you guys.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 18:14:21
Link | Citer | R

Feel free to PM me about any other questions or deadly job combos.

Seer / Illusionist will make you*** your pants.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:15:33
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Feel free to PM me about any other questions or deadly job combos. Seer / Illusionist will make you*** your pants.

So will my alarm clock, a cool breeze, eating a grape, the end of The Sixth Sense...

Anyway, just tired of buying games and not enjoying them, lol.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 18:18:43
Link | Citer | R

You'll like the way you look be entertained, I guarantee it. /resist Men's Wearhouse Commercial.

Even when you start owning things, it's still fun has hell. If you play on Hard, it's actually pretty difficult. The AI seems to be the same, but they do so much more damage.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-03 18:22:24
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
You'll like the way you look be entertained, I guarantee it. /resist Men's Wearhouse Commercial. Even when you start owning things, it's still fun has hell. If you play on Hard, it's actually pretty difficult. The AI seems to be the same, but they do so much more damage.

I know that commecial.. lol. His voice creeps me out.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-03 18:30:01
Link | Citer | R

Go ahead and bookmark this page: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_A2:_Grimoire_of_the_Rift

And there's 5, not 6 secret characters. My mistake. I keep thinking 6 because I like to do a "special characters only" battle (including the main character) from time to time, pretty much netting me an automatic win, lol.
 Hades.Fathe
Serveur: Hades
user: Fathe
By Hades.Fathe 2010-05-19 16:22:58
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Well, I think the 'all attacks' is covered under 'Dealing Damage.'

'No attacking' means just the normal attack, I think. It has been awhile so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Yeah "No Attacking" Mean just that no use of the Attack Command. But The " NO DMG to XXX" IS for all actions (even MP Drain will break the law).

HOwever if you get the no attacking xxx race or no harming lower leveled Character just equip Counter and Dual Wield and let them attack, Then you will counter them with both weapons.( Works perfect on on mission gotta survive i think 3 rounds and the Law is no Harming Weaker Characters)
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-19 16:25:17
Link | Citer | R

I just break the law if I get stupid ***like that, lol. If I'm that much higher, then I shouldn't have to worry about dying anyway.
 Hades.Fathe
By Hades.Fathe 2010-05-19 16:25:56
Link | Citer | R

I was always a Fan of Hunter/Fighter, Any Viera Mage with Double-Cast is powerful.
 Hades.Fathe
By Hades.Fathe 2010-05-19 16:26:52
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I just break the law if I get stupid ***like that, lol. If I'm that much higher, then I shouldn't have to worry about dying anyway.

yeah i always broke the law when i got the "No DMG to Females or Males"
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-19 16:28:41
Link | Citer | R

Seer/Illusionist is my favorite. Just give me 3 turns with the Seer - everyone will be dead.
First Page 2