Spharai vs Glanzfaust
First Page 2 3
 Bahamut.Shadowskull
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Shadow273
By Bahamut.Shadowskull 2010-02-18 08:21:55
Link | Citer | R

since the new mog bonanza i have to pick the 1st prize before i COULD win. i know its a bit early but just want to check, before i regret my decision.

which is better? spharai or glanzfaust?

i know spharai sometimes deals multiple dmg and att +20 is nice, but many ppl say it isnt THAT much better then destroyer.

glanzfaust has very nice supports. getting an attack boost and crit hit boost during fokus is very nice. and the +counter during trick seems to be very nice too. + it can do multiple hits.

any help plz
 Ramuh.Tousou
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 08:29:43
Link | Citer | R

To be honest, I've been wondering this myself. Since my chance of winning is next to nil, I decided to go with what looked more badass XD

So... *Waits on the math wizzes... Or Vegetto, whichever comes first.*
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-02-18 08:30:16
Link | Citer | R

Personally I would go with Spharai.

Glanzfaust have some nice thing about them, but only during certain situations. For the attack and crit bonus you have to have focus up. You can't have it up full time unfortunately. Same story with the counter during dodge. Spharai gives you +20 attack all the time, and counter +10 all the time.

Furthermore, to receive the multiple hits on Glanzfaust you'll have to use Ascetic's Fury at 300% TP, and keep doing so. Spharai can occasionally hit 3timer harder than normal no matter what WS or TP you used. In addition, Glanzfaust have a lower DMG rating and a higher delay.

For all these reasons I would pick Spharai, but feel free to have a differing opinion.

*Edit* for some math: to equal the +20 attk on Spharai Glanzfaust you would have to have an ungodly amount of base attack. Since you only get 5% attack bonus from focus. Lets say you have base attack of 400. 400*.05= 20 attack during focus. Same as spharai right? Well focus is only on for 40% of your fight. so 20*.4=8. 20 attack from spharai > 8 attack from Glanzfaust.

Depending on the critical bonus Glanzfaust could be good, but I don't have any data on the % of criticals you get with them.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-02-18 08:39:19
Link | Citer | R

SPHARAI OR GTFO!!!
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-02-18 08:40:59
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much this ^

Don't think any mythic beats its relic counterpart sans situational things.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-18 08:42:08
Link | Citer | R

Spharai has better base damage and delay, for one... Glanzfaust, the attack bonus on Focus is roughly comparable to the 20 attack on Spharai while it's up but the crits don't match against relic procs and you have to use Ascetic's Fury to get the aftermath, which requires both saving TP (less WS) and using an inferior WS. If you're zerging and can start off with the 300 TP Aftermath then Glanzfaust would win, but that's it. Go for the piece that constitutes a functional upgrade everywhere.

Also, people tend to underrate the increase from Destroyers to Spharai for some reason. It isn't huge, but they are better.
[+]
 Fairy.Vytiss
Serveur: Fairy
user: Vytiss
By Fairy.Vytiss 2010-02-18 08:51:01
Link | Citer | R

@400attack, Glanz'll give you 5% bonus aftermath... which is roughly 20attack, which you get anyways with Spharai. Tho' the crit bonus is a nice addition too... 5% as well.
These bonus' are nice, but you have to fulltime Ascetic's Fury... which, imo... sux

Spharai, ftw, for sure. Higher base dmg, lower delay, and I've seen MNK with Spharai "solo" Zipacna with minimal outside cures.... nearly countered every attack.
And randomly does 3x dmg?!? *** yeah!

Ohya, and access to yet another WS.... Final Heaven.
Everyone and their mother has Ascetic's Fury.... and doesn't use it, for a reason.

If I was still fulltiming MNK like I used to, I would have easily chosen Spharai as my reward but decided to go with Amano for my SAM instead, since I have found it to be more useful in endgame. If there were more time left in this game, I'd take on an Aegis/Excal and level up PLD or lvl up Cor and get Death Penalty. But that's all woulda, coulda, shoulda's... but most likely still won't win regardless so I'm not sweatin' it.

Best of Luck to ya!
[+]
 Valefor.Ivaan
Serveur: Valefor
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2010-02-18 08:53:59
Link | Citer | R

like someone said before, every relic will probably outdo its mythic counter part, except if your job doesnt have a relic :)
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-02-18 08:54:41
Link | Citer | R

I don't think I would use Glanzfaust over Faith Bagnahks. Go Spharai.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-18 08:57:51
Link | Citer | R

Glanzfail are exactly that, fail. They're best in zerg where you start with 300 tp, but if you're that crazy over zerging, then level drk and get a kclub.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-18 09:00:04
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Spharai, ftw, for sure. Higher base dmg, lower delay, and I've seen MNK with Spharai "solo" Zipacna with minimal outside cures.... nearly countered every attack.
And randomly does 3x dmg?!? *** yeah!
The x3 dmg can only proc for main hand, 2nd punch doesn't get the same trick. Also, "minimal outside cures" does not accredit for solo. Also, would have only countered 10% less w/ another pair of h2h (5% less w/ shenlongs and acc is uncapped). He just got lucky w/ counter rate.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-18 09:34:52
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Ivaan said:
like someone said before, every relic will probably outdo its mythic counter part, except if your job doesnt have a relic :)
If you mean all except pup sch blu dnc and cor not really. You should have including jobs that get crap for relics too. IE mages
Nirvana beats the ***out of Claustrum.

While Carnwenhan doesn't beat Gjallarhorn it is much better than Mandau for brd

Yagrush will almost always beat the ***out of Mjollnir for a whm.

[+]
 Ramuh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 09:40:52
Link | Citer | R

The double attack is only active during Aftermath? Well that sucks... At least they'll make decent town gear if I ever get MNK to 75 XD
 Kujata.Argettio
Serveur: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 09:44:07
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Tousou said:
The double attack is only active during Aftermath? Well that sucks... At least they'll make decent town gear if I ever get MNK to 75 XD

The double attack is only active during aftermath if you WS @ 300 TP

If you WS @ 100 you get accuracy
If you WS @ 200 you get attack
If you WS @ 300 you get DA

And that is the biggest problem with a mythic weapon.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-18 09:44:42
Link | Citer | R

not only aftermath, 300tp aftermath. 100 and 200 give no DA (but even if they did, you'd have to use AF instead of AF for ws)
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-18 09:46:46
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Ivaan said:
If you mean all except pup sch blu dnc and cor not really. You should have including jobs that get crap for relics too. IE mages
Nirvana beats the ***out of Claustrum.

I wouldn't say always nor beat the ***out of. A decked relic melee WHM will have a massive MP pool while contributing to overall DoT nicely. The difference between Yagrush Boons and Mjollnir Boons is significant, expanded further by Mjollnir's additional effect. Level 1 mythic aftermath is MACC, so there's no ACC difference. Yagrush will eliminate status effects slightly faster, but Mjollnir will hold the advantage in available MP pool in any situation where melee WHM is viable.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-18 09:48:18
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Specifically it is only available on lvl 3 aftermath. Ie wsing at 300%. 100-199 is acc bonus of +10-19. 200-299 is att bonus of 20-59. 300% is about 45% double attack. Though lvl does last 2 min so you could keep it up 100% of the time not too hard.

So pretty much cutting the number of ws you get to do by less than 1/2 but up your dot a bit
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-18 09:49:26
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Ivaan said:
If you mean all except pup sch blu dnc and cor not really. You should have including jobs that get crap for relics too. IE mages Nirvana beats the ***out of Claustrum.

I wouldn't say always nor beat the ***out of. A decked relic melee WHM will have a massive MP pool while contributing to overall DoT nicely. The difference between Yagrush Boons and Mjollnir Boons is significant, expanded further by Mjollnir's additional effect. Level 1 mythic aftermath is MACC, so there's no ACC difference. Yagrush will eliminate status effects slightly faster, but Mjollnir will hold the advantage in available MP pool in any situation where melee WHM is viable.
Right now lets go back to the world where mages don't melee please. Like I said almost always. And almost always in any kind of event where something like relic/mythic even matters to anyone your mages wont be meleeing
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-18 09:59:16
Link | Citer | R

Salvage, Limbus, Dynamis, Einherjar, Assaults, Nyzul, EXP/Meriting, Campaign, Sky farming, Sea farming. What does that leave that well geared Mystic Boon WHMs can't melee? Uh... Sky gods, Sea Jailers, and HNMs. Seeing as we're talking about relics, I'd go out of my way to have them melee with the highest base damage 1-hand weapon in the game, especially given the benefits I stand to reap as a result. The above are only exceptions because of prohibitively high defense, evasion, and in a handful of cases nasty AoEs. More MP and enemies that are dead faster is almost always better than the alternative if your mages are capable of multitasking.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-18 10:03:09
Link | Citer | R

Can and should are 2 different stories. By that logic smns should meleeing in claustrum. I mean 8mp refresh is pretty pimp. And lets face most whms out there have hard enough time keep haste up and actually curing status effects in a reasonable time even without meleeing. Also you get more mp but you also lose cure efficiency by meleeing. Not to mention not being able to rest getting hit by AOEs. I'd rather not have the guy I'm relying on to silena/paralyna etc me always being hit with it too
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-02-18 10:08:04
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Vegetto said:
you'd have to use AF instead of AF for ws
This made me lol way too hard for some reason. AF instead of AF? Onoez!

Obviously I know you're saying Ascetic's Fury instead of Asuran Fists, but still xD
[+]
 Hades.Ferusio
Serveur: Hades
user: Ferusio
By Hades.Ferusio 2010-02-18 10:09:49
Link | Citer | R

shenlongs or gtfo
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-18 10:10:11
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Can and should are 2 different stories. By that logic smns should meleeing in claustrum. I mean 8mp refresh is pretty pimp. And lets face most whms out there have hard enough time keep haste up and actually curing status effects in a reasonable time even without meleeing. Also you get more mp but you also lose cure efficiency by meleeing. Not to mention not being able to rest getting hit by AOEs. I'd rather not have the guy I'm relying on to silena/paralyna etc me always being hit with it too
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... suck less.

If you don't know when it is and isn't viable then *** no, you shouldn't be meleeing ever. If you understand what mobs have what AoEs, who cares? You won't get hit by the bad ***or you would have gotten hit with it anyway if it's unavoidable. Also meds. WHM/NIN has better defensive options than most melees can dream of and still has better efficiency than a backline WHM/SCH when appropriate, which means they don't necessarily have to rest. Granted, WHM/SCH can melee too and there may be times when that's preferable. Cure potency loss may or may not be significant, depends on how much damage is being taken. On average, yes there's a loss there. Again, situational. Learn it, live it, love it. Claustrum sacrifices -perp and has no additional effect: recover MP, Mjollnir vastly increases your available MP pool over the next best option. Nirvana's a different story and I do advocate melee Nirvana as appropriate. If you want to assume every WHM is incapable of doing anything more than the basic tasks, fine. I'm going to understand that WHMs exist that can act more efficiently from the frontline. Are they the norm? No. But you're an idiot if you're going to act like they don't exist.
[+]
 Fairy.Vestal
user: miperich
By Fairy.Vestal 2010-02-18 10:12:07
Link | Citer | R

Well my phone apparently won't quote but, I agree with whms shouldn't be meleing at serious events, I say that as a fulltime whm in salvage who chose yagrush in the bonanza. And as for the theory that ppl will change the rules for you because you have a relic and let you mele... Umm no lol yes yes I know lolkikoku talking but typically nobody really gives a ***about it because they really don't know what you can do. So let's stick to keeping people alive k thanks.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-18 10:13:25
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Vestal said:
Well my phone apparently won't quote but, I agree with whms shouldn't be meleing at serious events, I say that as a fulltime whm in salvage who chose yagrush in the bonanza. And as for the theory that ppl will change the rules for you because you have a relic and let you mele... Umm no lol yes yes I know lolkikoku talking but typically nobody really gives a ***about it because they really don't know what you can do. So let's stick to keeping people alive k thanks.
Where did I say change the rules? Efficiency is the goddamn rule if there's a rule at all. Melee WHM can be more efficient than backline WHM. Can. If you can't understand that, your loss.
[+]
 Fairy.Vytiss
user: Vytiss
By Fairy.Vytiss 2010-02-18 10:15:07
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Vegetto said:
The x3 dmg can only proc for main hand, 2nd punch doesn't get the same trick. Also, "minimal outside cures" does not accredit for solo. Also, would have only countered 10% less w/ another pair of h2h (5% less w/ shenlongs and acc is uncapped). He just got lucky w/ counter rate.

lol, i know... that's why i said "solo"
woulda said the same thing if I were to have "solo'd" KA with my npc curing/buffing me /grin.
p.s. I was there when you did, and I'd vouch you most likely could have done it w/o.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-18 10:16:44
Link | Citer | R

My NPC was pretty bad *** in that fight. Used Koki and I received bacon (1/2 on drop yay)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-18 10:24:09
Link | Citer | R

Man Night you have converted me. I know shall bring all my mages to the front line cause it is so awesome. I wonder how long that would fly lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-18 10:26:03
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Man Night you have converted me. I know shall bring all my mages to the front line cause it is so awesome. I wonder how long that would fly lol
Your logical fallacies, they astound me.

You have a brain, pull it out of your *** and use it. It's a niche thing for skilled and well-geared players. Advocating it in all situations and ignoring it outright are equally wrong.
[+]
First Page 2 3