Aggro parry
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-11-08 02:43:46
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Wardens said:
I think you can parry or evade and it doesn't use up shadows... not positive. So that shouldn't lower the chance of those skilling up.

From what I've heard, it does. It's one reason ninja's *** about parry, is that it doesn't happen as often when shadows are up, as compared to when shadows are down. Although, if it is the same proc rate either way, I wouldn't be surprised. I do know from personal experience, that evasion skill-ups were proc'd mainly when I took dmg, versus when a shadow would be absorbed.

Although the parry engine is composed differently.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Gerrott
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2009-11-08 02:46:43
Link | Citer | R

When shadows are down.. a parry is more likely to catch your attention, because hey.. you just lucked out and avoided damage w/ shadows down.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-11-08 02:49:13
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Gerrott said:
When shadows are down.. a parry is more likely to catch your attention, because hey.. you just lucked out and avoided damage w/ shadows down.

If it was as equal of an occurrence, ninja tanks would have near capped parry skill.
 Shiva.Nightraid
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Nightraid 2009-11-08 02:50:07
Link | Citer | R

Wow, Eva+ sets for PLD? :/
Shouldnt even be going less than 900hp tanking byakko...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-08 02:50:11
Link | Citer | R

Well it's a little late for me to do any real thinking. But I'd say with ~50% evasion rate and haste, you'd have very little trouble keeping up shadows even on gods. lol If I had that means of doing that, I'd certainly try to fit it somewhere into my gear.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-11-08 02:53:57
Link | Citer | R

As for Eternius's pld /evasion theory, flatout, if you gear your PLD how it should be geared(HP/VIT/DEF enmity etc), overall the dmg you take will in the end be less, versus if you stack evasion, and hope to dodge. When you do dodge those 48% of byakko's attacks, the other 52% will kick your ***. Not saying, don't put evasion on a PLD, but only put evasion in, where great amounts are of evasion are supplemented for low amounts of HP/VIT/DEF/enmity, and only for special cases.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 02:55:22
Link | Citer | R

Galvaya said:
the other 52% will kick your ***.

I would certainly hope not. That's what Utsusemi is there for.

And for the fourth time, I do not condone Evasion sets on PLD as a fulltime thing. Stop getting all whiny about it, Tailss.

Besides, Enmity is macro only, who says I would use my JAs in EVA gear?
 Shiva.Nightraid
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Nightraid 2009-11-08 02:56:45
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
flatout, if you gear your PLD how it should be geared(HP/VIT/DEF enmity etc), overall the dmg you take will in the end be less

VIT/DEF is dead.
Haste tanking is pretty much the thing now, spam Atonement etc

Edit: the only thing you would use VIT and DEF sets for is when Terrorised or any other conditions, Stoned etc

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:03:09
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Tails said:
Quote:
Enmity is macro only

What?

Siren.Enternius said:
Enmity is macro only

Just like it says. The only PLDs that think it's smart to wear enmity for normal meleeing are full-adaman PLDs.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-08 03:08:37
Link | Citer | R

What Ent is saying is true: Enmity is macro only in that any Enmity+ gear has absolutely no effect on Volatile nor Curative Enmity decay, but only in the actions in which enmity is produced (Provoke, Sentinel, etc.). HP, however, does have an effect on enmity decay.

And I only wear adaman gear because it was a gift from a good friend! And NOT THE SABATONS D;<

I'm working on full Iron Ram... slowly.... ._.;;

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:10:28
Link | Citer | R

Lol, you have an excuse, hun. You're a newb. You're not expected to have any better gear.

But at least you know better to not use it if you have the chance >.>
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Raulete
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: raulin
By Gilgamesh.Raulete 2009-11-08 03:10:50
Link | Citer | R

enternius is rigth and wrong i think.
enternious you can have capeed shield and eva in any job so if you have a high level of parry help too of course is another way to avoid a dmg takened so if you can have a good parry skill wil help you as any job fighting a mob.
and yea like enternious saw you gona take few skill ups of parry whit shadows cose if you have eva / shield / shadows /parry .... you have few chances of parry cose another factors join at the formula for avoid that strike dunno the % of pro from any factor so is right about this from my experience.

PD and yea up parry is a pain.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:11:57
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Tails said:
So you swap gear on your imaginary level 75 paladin whenever you cast a spell, weapon skill, or do ANYTHING? I'd think it'd be hard to cure your Paladin when he's blinking every second.

Coming from a LV1 PLD...You're right. I don't deserve to talk about PLD. I obviously have less experience on it than you.

If blinking causes a problem, it's the healers' fault. It's very little effort to make a macro to autocure the PLD.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-08 03:14:47
Link | Citer | R

Anyways, contributing to the argument, I'd say that parrying is handy, but altogether unnecessary. It's sort of the backup backup... backup, after Shield procs, shadows (if /NIN), and evasion. In terms of avoiding hits, shield skill is the first thing PLDs should aim for, then Haste (again, if /NIN, for Utsusemi timers). Evasion... it would be interesting to have a set for that, I'd like to see if it works well or not.

On a related note, a friend once recommended that instead of having 8 merits in some other weapon (after capping 8 in sword and 4 in shield), I should just put the rest of the merits into capping evasion and parrying. Seems like a good idea... what do you guys think?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:16:56
Link | Citer | R

If you never plan on trying anything other than PLD, sure.

Capping EVA and Parry is an additional ~6% chance to avoid damage, so it's definitely beneficial, but melee skills are generally a better thing to have.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-08 03:21:04
Link | Citer | R

Ahh... yeah, I'm going PLD main all the way ^^. Melee skills other than Sword, though.... I was thinking either Staff or GSword--but a ton of people laugh at staff (I like it so far for Spirit Taker~ Like mini Chivalry! :D). Sooo.... yeah.

But Parrying/Evasion seems to be the best bet if I'm PLD maining, anyways.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:23:21
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Ahh... yeah, I'm going PLD main all the way ^^. Melee skills other than Sword, though.... I was thinking either Staff or GSword--but a ton of people laugh at staff (I like it so far for Spirit Taker~ Like mini Chivalry! :D). Sooo.... yeah.

But Parrying/Evasion seems to be the best bet if I'm PLD maining, anyways.

Staff is not necessarily a bad choice either. Great for low-man situations. Earth Staff mitigates a bit more damage than an average shield and Hauteclaire combined, so it's nice to use, and Spirit Taker is nice for getting MP back. I don't think it constitutes spending 18 merits on though.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-08 03:25:40
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Tails said:
Siren.Enternius said:
The truth is, no PLD is seen without NIN sub in endgame nowadays. Seriously, none.

How much benefit does HP, VIT, DEF, etc give when you're evading all the attacks, again?

I'm just going to refer back to this to remind everyone how much you know about Paladin.

Remember everyone, on paladin, stack the evasion, ditch the Def/HP/Enmity/Haste. It's not worth it.

Good night.

Ummmm....kay. I don't think he meant evasion as in, +Evasion gear, I thought it was in terms of dodging attacks via shadows.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-08 03:27:51
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Staff is not necessarily a bad choice either. Great for low-man situations. Earth Staff mitigates a bit more damage than an average shield and Hauteclaire combined, so it's nice to use, and Spirit Taker is nice for getting MP back. I don't think it constitutes spending 18 merits on though.

Ah okay; so maybe 4 in evasion, and 4 in Staff?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:28:12
Link | Citer | R

Apparently no one really listens anyway.

I said a total of 5 times that I do not condone stacking Evasion on PLD. But whatever, believe what you must.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:29:41
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Ah okay; so maybe 4 in evasion, and 4 in Staff?

Well, I personally recommend you just leave the extra combat skills open in case you do decide to level another job.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 03:31:31
Link | Citer | R

You all suck isn't this about parrying mobs you've only aggrod or something not fighting byakko or tanking?
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-08 03:32:44
Link | Citer | R

People can argue we went off topic, yes.

I like to think of it as...We're covering multiple topics without having to start a new thread for everything that comes up.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-08 03:32:47
Link | Citer | R

lol! XD alrighty :3 I just haven't found a passion (or time for a passion) for any other job than Paladin just yet, but that's always sound advice. :) Thanks!

edit: And yeah, I helped it go off topic. >_>

/MOD RERAIL :D
 Asura.Sneaker
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Sneaker 2009-11-08 04:55:20
Link | Citer | R

im at 220something atm with my sam and i know how annoying it is to skill up parry(im glad its even easier to cap and skill than guard lol)

the closer ur getting to cap the harder it is to get skillups

and like eternius said in one post:

go all out on parry skill gear,dont add evasion
if evasion is higher than parry -> what u think whats procing more often?

my evasion skill is caped on sam since my first job was thf
max evasion + merits :-/ bad in this case since i dont want to proc evasion -> i want to proc parry and skill up

best mobs to skill up parry are mnk type mobs
yagudo mnks in the past (sentinels in Meriphataud Mountains (S)) or
puck's(mandragoras) in the dan of rancor

past 200 i saw a significant better proc rate(not depending on skill ups) so its realy worth to skill up parry and im looking forward getting it to cap :-)