Game: FFXI
user: wtfux
By Asura.Selectorofsouls 2024-06-18 19:50:14
Link | Citer | R

Purpose: Create maps to assist new players through sortie

Link to preview
https://imgur.com/a/ffxi-sortie-game-custom-maps-m1k6dOe

Link to file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QxkLn51H6Gh7Ebpo8PHFzZs-SeCgSPZg/view?usp=drive_link

Features:
  • Renamed blitzers to be noob-friendly

• The entire floor map has been peiced together so you know your position relative to your current map with exception of the areas with no map, they will simply have no map

• To be used with ffxidb mini-map or you can view the big map

• Known objectives are featured

• While at boss map, review info before fight. Hopefully the info is correct since I haven't done much sortie

Feedback Q&A:

Color selection - Some have questioned why I choose the colors that are hard to see, especially for people who have color blindness but I choose the colors for a reason:

• Map familiarity - If you have not noticed the base floor colors match the ones used by Cerberus.Kylos's sortie map also posted on ffxiah forums

• The base and basement floor colors are related ie, the base floor is green and it's matching basement floor is dark green. The base floor color for A is blue and the basement floor for A is light blue or cyan, light blue would be too close to blue for some

• I can barely see anything - I have tried upscaling the maps from 512x512 to 1024x1024 and it does look clear but some wierd stuff happens, the maps is offset for some reason and in some circumstances some wierd scan lines are added into the map which is why the maps are the way they are. Lastly, it actually is meant to be used the way they are. You are not meant to view the text from the minimap, the minimap(ffxidb addon for windower) is for fast navigating, while the big map is for NEW PLAYERS so they can use my maps without reading through all the confusion. It also reduces the chance that the new players will lose track of what they were just doing when they switch task form game to reading offscreen. If you are a veteran sortie player, you won't even notice because all you will be using the maps for is for navigation and it works perfectly fine for now

Credits:
Cerberus.Kylos
FFXI Sortie: A Beginner's Guide To Locating Gems
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/57533/ffxi-sortie-a-beginners-guide-to-locating-gems

Category:Sortie
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Sortie

UNKNOWN JP SORTIE MAP 1 AND 2

Kanryu, Chimerawizard
This Idiot's Guide to Sortie
https://www.ffxiah.com/node/469
[+]
By Ranoutofspace 2024-06-18 20:44:31
Link | Citer | R

Was the goal to make the font as illegible as possible? Nailed it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-18 23:06:54
Link | Citer | R

light green with white outline is quite the design choice
By Felgarr 2024-06-18 23:57:01
Link | Citer | R

Some feedback:

1.) I think the lightly off-shaded areas that are not on the current have doors marked in black/white that are much too prominent. A solid grey line that matches the fading gets the point across without being too prominent.

2.) It's a little redundant to say "B-Boss" for the location and label again slightly above the location. Just move Leshonn's shadow figure slightly closer to the "B-Boss" label.

3.) The external labels for nearby areas, A-2 and C-1, in this case: I think they should have arrow indicating which way that area is. (C-1 sorta has it, but accidentally, in the form of that red arrow. Meanwhile A-2 has no arrow indicating which direction leads to A-2.

4.) Umm...yeah, font colors.

Otherwise, you've got a great start I'm sure will helps a lot of people.
 Asura.Certainly
Serveur: Asura
user: Lutia
By Asura.Certainly 2024-06-19 05:35:00
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-19 05:42:52
Link | Citer | R

Lot of negativity for someone just trying to help the community. But yea, white font with black outline is readable on anything. Your combination is very difficult to see.
[+]
 Asura.Slugger
user: Beau
By Asura.Slugger 2024-06-19 11:56:23
Link | Citer | R

I made these when first starting out; not 100% of objectives are there but most are. I've got to the point in my usual daily runs where I don't need the objectives for reference, but it's always nice to have a map up on the secondary screen to glance over at when running around looking for a roaming NM. Hope someone finds it useful. I added all the red lines in photoshop to delineate each sector.

[+]
 Asura.Sensarity
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-06-19 12:25:49
Link | Citer | R

I really like that you've drawn on all the missing sections of the map so that it's easier to tell where exactly on the map you are, I would love a version which just includes those. It'd go so far to help not need the full map open on another monitor.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-19 12:43:58
Link | Citer | R

Maybe its just me, but i dont think the constructive criticism of light green font with thick white outline on a neutral background being illegible is “negativity”.

Is “Was the goal to make the font as illegible as possible? Nailed it.” harsh? A bit, but not as harsh as that font choice on my eyes and brain. If you couldnt predict the text that is there based on what you know, you wouldnt know what it says at the presented resolution.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-06-19 13:24:38
Link | Citer | R

Good idea but the font and coloration is impossible to read and gives me headaches just looking at it.
 Asura.Friede
user: Akida
By Asura.Friede 2024-06-19 15:10:10
Link | Citer | R

My lazy unfinished to add to the pile.

[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-19 16:28:59
Link | Citer | R

Did Spalose release the map assets for others to use or did you cobble them together? just curious if I missed something. Great mapsanyway.
By Asura.Selectorofsouls 2024-06-20 22:07:58
Link | Citer | R

The reason I used to color is to match the color of Cerberus.Kylos's sortie map guide for familiarity. I am aware there are people who had difficulty seeing certian colors and I could of choose other colors but in the end I kept the same color scheme for the base floor.
By Asura.Selectorofsouls 2024-06-20 22:13:11
Link | Citer | R

The map files are 512x512. I did try upscaling to 1024x1024, which would improve the clearity, but then FFXI did some wierd things with the maps ingame like offsetting them to nowhere or adding in scan lines. The purpose of the text is to be viewed on the larger map while the minimap is to be used to navigate.
 Asura.Certainly
user: Lutia
By Asura.Certainly 2024-06-20 23:59:13
Link | Citer | R

I don't care how big the resolution is, light green text with white outline is an absolute nope. Bigger is not better. And "matching the color of Cerberus" not only makes absolutely no sense, it's also a priority that should not exist when making guides.
By Felgarr 2024-06-21 00:53:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Selectorofsouls said: »
The map files are 512x512. I did try upscaling to 1024x1024, which would improve the clearity, but then FFXI did some wierd things with the maps ingame like offsetting them to nowhere or adding in scan lines. The purpose of the text is to be viewed on the larger map while the minimap is to be used to navigate.

I think you want to re-evaluate your color choices if you want more adoption.
By Asura.Selectorofsouls 2024-06-25 17:06:51
Link | Citer | R

Weither people want to use the maps or not is up to them. A lot of people give me ***because of the small resolution but what they don't realize is that the map is really a map of a map-meaning I have 512x512 as a full map but I only get a small fraction of that to work with so in reality, 100x100 or even less since you are subdividing the 512 into basically 1/4 to 1/10th chunks.
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2024-06-26 01:24:26
Link | Citer | R

The goal is not to be negative about your work. Honestly the info you put together is great, it's a very nice job you did and it's kind of you to share it.
But i have to agree with everyone else : the text are just unreadable most of the time and it's not about the small resolution. It's simply the colors.

And no, i'm not color blind and i don't have any vision impairement. It's just not readable unless you already know what is written and your brain does the work instead of your eyes.
[+]
By gregchiro2013 2024-06-27 20:25:53
Link | Citer | R

Yes, when you are the creator, and know exactly what you wrote, its very unlikely you will notice the difficulty in reading said text. This would be true for anyone. Id say a good test would be have someone write something in the exact same color, then see if it is then hard to read.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-27 20:46:10
Link | Citer | R

Map familiarity - If you have not noticed the base floor colors match the ones used by Cerberus.Kylos's sortie map also posted on ffxiah forums

Just to get this straight, you used bright green with a white outline because Kylos used light green for B/F on his maps here?

He used light green with the white outline for SINGLE LETTERS, where theres nothing blending into each other.

Notice how he wrote PORXIE, the one time he wrote an actual word in the light green font, he did so without the white outline? Anyone here can read that PORXIE clear as day.

No one here is color blind. There is no known form of color blindness that will cause a bright green font with a white outline to be legible at a small font. But hey, if everyone here is "color blind and cant read it", have you considered that perhaps you are the one suffering through some form of color blindness?

You didnt even use the same colors.
By Heepster 2024-07-07 12:55:47
Link | Citer | R

I was trying to download the dats from the OP but it says that access is denied, does anyone have those still available?
 Cerberus.Kylos
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-07-31 11:26:26
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the credit OP. I appreciate you wanting to help out others.

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Map familiarity - If you have not noticed the base floor colors match the ones used by Cerberus.Kylos's sortie map also posted on ffxiah forums

Just to get this straight, you used bright green with a white outline because Kylos used light green for B/F on his maps here?

He used light green with the white outline for SINGLE LETTERS, where theres nothing blending into each other.

Notice how he wrote PORXIE, the one time he wrote an actual word in the light green font, he did so without the white outline? Anyone here can read that PORXIE clear as day.

No one here is color blind. There is no known form of color blindness that will cause a bright green font with a white outline to be legible at a small font. But hey, if everyone here is "color blind and cant read it", have you considered that perhaps you are the one suffering through some form of color blindness?

You didnt even use the same colors.

Yeah. I think about this stuff. Brighter colours on darker backgrounds, and darker colours on lighter backgrounds.

Looking at the map, I'd say there is too much text in a small space all squashed together about a boss that returning players would not be fighting. Groups fighting Leshonn would never need this map to tell them what it does. There's a bit too much going on here to use it as an in-game map.

If this was made to help those looking to unlock teleports, like in Velner's video, I included his maps for those. However, I can draw up my own map with directions based on my own maps if anyone would like to see that.
 Phoenix.Gavroches
Serveur: Phoenix
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-07-31 12:16:08
Link | Citer | R

I appreciate people do maps, but:
- why all blitzer are name B instead of A B C D,
- same for basement, why can’t they be name E F G H,
- why all bosses are named “G”,
- and for the basements maps, why do you always forget to show where Aminon is?

Not that I care now, but I used to, and I’m sure some still would like that clarity.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-07-31 12:53:01
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
I appreciate people do maps, but:
- why all blitzer are name B instead of A B C D,
- same for basement, why can’t they be name E F G H,
- why all bosses are named “G”,
- and for the basements maps, why do you always forget to show where Aminon is?

Not that I care now, but I used to, and I’m sure some still would like that clarity.

The maps on my guide came with a key that tells you what things mean, which is missing from any maps shared here. Also, my maps are for a "beginner's guide", so there is naturally no point showing Aminom. Veteran players will not need a map to learn where Aminom is.

As for "B", and "G", it makes complete sense if you read my guide, but otherwise you will have these questions.

Key: D = Device / B = Bitzer / G = Gadget / # = Door / || = Locked Gate

By naming things accordingly, a beginner player learns what the difference is between a device, a bitzer, and a gadget. They all look the same but work differently, so I find it important to label them as such. The areas of ABCDEFGH are distinguished from each other with their own colours.

Finally, there is an issue with giving the starting device the correct label. It has no assigned area, so calling it "D" (for device) could make a player assume it belongs to the "D" area, when it doesn't. It's a small thing, I know, but I found it important not to confuse players who are new to Sortie by labeling all ground floor devices "D".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-07-31 13:30:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Friede said: »
My lazy unfinished to add to the pile.

Where can this overlay be found?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Jokerdoom
By Asura.Jokerdoom 2024-09-03 20:36:49
Link | Citer | R

The custom sortie maps by OP literally names the zones with the correct letter instead of letting you guess. He even has a legend showing you how to get to the correct zone you need. Even basements are similarly colored, ie green(base floor) to dark green(basement).

Even the boss warps are lettered.

I feel it makes much more sense to have the zone and boss letters instead of saying theres a gadget there or bitzer there. It just flows better. I don't think there has ever been a time and place where your party says gadget A unlock requires.. they all say A boss requires.