Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 54 55 56 ... 129 130 131
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-07 13:47:49
Link | Citer | R

If people were being safe there wouldn't be 1.5 million cases and counting.

It can literally only spread by humans being irresponsible.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 13:47:54
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Draugo said: »
All people are *** stupid.

And yes there are smart individuals, but inevitably even they make stupid decisions in groups.
Case in point: Congress.

Heh, the government is probably the only organization, that I would argue has the lowest average intelligence across the board, I am including all current world government's in this statement.

Smart enough to lie through their teeth and grab quick dirty money where they can, too stupid to actually create lasting peace and harmony at any level. And isn't that the whole point of ideal government? To facilitate harmony, peace, and prosperity?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 13:51:33
Link | Citer | R

And isn't that the whole point of ideal government? To facilitate harmony, peace, and prosperity?
Not really. The point in government (in the case of the United States) is to:

Federal level: Protect the nation as a whole and prevent interstate conflict.
State level: Protect the state as a whole and prevent intercounty conflict.
Local level: Protect the citizens as a whole.

Harmony, peace and prosperity are just side-effects of such protection.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 13:57:21
Link | Citer | R

And isn't that the whole point of ideal government? To facilitate harmony, peace, and prosperity?

Got that a bit backwards, the goal is what I stated. In order to prevent people from *** it up, those measures are put in place to safe guard the ideals.

That is why they exist. People cannot help themselves to get greedy and addicted to power with out those checks, leading to disharmony, conflict, and war. Which are the opposite of the ideal.

The ref(government) keeps the game fair (because people are selfish and stupid) so that the ideal can exist for a theoretically equal access for all citizens.

But it's not working, because of stupid people, changing the rules of the government to slide in ***that they themselves are supposed to be safeguarding against.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 14:13:24
Link | Citer | R

Got that a bit backwards, the goal is what I stated. In order to prevent people from *** it up, those measures are put in place to safe guard the ideals.

That is why they exist. People cannot help themselves to get greedy and addicted to power with out those checks, leading to disharmony, conflict, and war. Which are the opposite of the ideal.

The ref(government) keeps the game fair (because people are selfish and stupid) so that the ideal can exist for a theoretically equal access for all citizens.

But it's not working, because of stupid people, changing the rules of the government to slide in ***that they themselves are supposed to be safeguarding against.
I honestly think that the smartest/best way to govern is to take what is naturally inherent with people (aka greed and selfishness) and create laws/regulations that take advantage of such to alter or direct society into a better livelihood.

For example: Capital gains and qualified dividends tax. By having a tax that is lower than ordinary tax rate, you are encouraging people into investing into companies (in the case of qualified dividends, North American companies) that would then use the extra funds (if they are selling stock themselves) to invest into the communities they are in. While this isn't true in some multi-national companies such as Apple, most companies who are publicly traded actually have businesses here in America. This incentives people to invest in American companies while at the same time create an additional tax revenue for the US government (and some state governments who have income taxes).
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 14:22:29
Link | Citer | R

It really boils down to keeping control of mass stupid. Greed (personal prosperity) is a healthy motivation to improve one's life. But human want is insatiable, they will keep squeezing the juice til it's dry, the rest be damned (and that's really the problem here) because it is proven, people will take way more than they need if given the chance. I think that is in part due to a survival instinct we haven't kicked yet. It is ingrained in human nature.

I don't think there is an end-all solution to that. The motivation for big organizations to attempt to control that, are not effective at it, often times they just lead to a different angle for people to escalate their personal holdings, by manipulating masses into giving them that control.

Tldr, people are way too greedy, and rules are literally made to be broken. If the undesirable behavior didn't exist, no law would be in place to prevent it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 14:26:44
Link | Citer | R

But human want is insatiable, they will keep squeezing the juice til it's dry, the rest be damned (and that's really the problem here) because it is proven, people will take way more than they need if given the chance.
I disagree. I think that there are various degrees of human want. Most of us have enough in our lives to be satisfied. There are those who will forever want, and it's those who we need to curb their behavior, but I think the greater population as a whole are generally satisfied with their lives that they want little or nothing extra at all.

Then there are the preservers who have but do not use. They should be applauded in keeping, and in some cases, contribute to another's want/need.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 14:29:47
Link | Citer | R

Generosity exists on an individual basis yes. But not as a whole. Me and mine is the human attitude, if altruism were the norm vs the exception most conflict would not exist.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 14:32:49
Link | Citer | R

Generosity exists on an individual basis yes. But not as a whole. Me and mine is the human attitude, if altruism were the norm vs the exception most conflict would not exist.
Yes, but you cannot discount the individual in a society.

We as a society are greedy to a fault, but at the same time, we as a society is mostly satisfied to the point that we are sharing our wealth with others. At the very least, more within our nation, and some outside (in terms of humane gestures, such as foreign aid of food and medicine, even before this crisis started).

We may be an angry mob, but at the same time, we can be generous too. It's the generosity that is ignored quite often and the anger propped up and shown on a daily basis.
[+]
By volkom 2020-04-07 14:47:32
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
friend from the north east is sick ~ but his doctor won't test him but they think he has the virus :| i don't understand the thought process behind that
Wait, volkom, you are in Austin too, right?

After this is all done, let's you, me, and Vic go out and get some good food from SA. I'll pay but you got to come here for it!

yeah i'm in Austin ~ and sure! but can't talk about politics :P
Only politics we can talk about is Texas politics and how you guys need to get out of that hellhole that is Austin. Especially since the food is better in San Antonio.

I'll treat you and Vic to a place in downtown SA that I love.

will there be queso :3 ?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 14:49:31
Link | Citer | R

friend from the north east is sick ~ but his doctor won't test him but they think he has the virus :| i don't understand the thought process behind that
Wait, volkom, you are in Austin too, right?

After this is all done, let's you, me, and Vic go out and get some good food from SA. I'll pay but you got to come here for it!

yeah i'm in Austin ~ and sure! but can't talk about politics :P
Only politics we can talk about is Texas politics and how you guys need to get out of that hellhole that is Austin. Especially since the food is better in San Antonio.

I'll treat you and Vic to a place in downtown SA that I love.

will there be queso :3 ?
Of course. It's a Mexican restaurant at Market Square. One of the best in the nation.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 15:08:22
Link | Citer | R

Get it bromeo! Gotta get that man-date, maybe we cue some braats brah!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 15:10:02
Link | Citer | R

Hey, I'm just pointing out the benefits of being a South Texan.

Free food!
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 15:14:24
Link | Citer | R

Anyone in NV wanna start a home brew XI convention with me? Our state's would be the best cause we got conference rooms, buffets, bars, and gambling also. Do a server hop and meet over a weekend, play out for a month on w/e server, then go back to your server? Make it an annual thing haha

Edit: ok fine I guess we can invite people from out of state also, to come party with us, but I am not driving to go get them.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 16:12:56
Link | Citer | R

Caerda said: »
Anyone in NV wanna start a home brew XI convention with me? Our state's would be the best cause we got conference rooms, buffets, bars, and gambling also. Do a server hop and meet over a weekend, play out for a month on w/e server, then go back to your server? Make it an annual thing haha

Edit: ok fine I guess we can invite people from out of state also, to come party with us, but I am not driving to go get them.

Everything non-essential is closed down here in Vegas though at the moment. Believe they said the majority of the strip is closed down until May. Most the people in my LS are from southern California also. Few come to Vegas now and then though. There are some pretty good internet cafe down here in Vegas but not sure how many will survive this economic shutdown...
Well, pretty much everywhere is like that. Some places (like NYC) are worse than others.

But everyone is in the same boat. We are talking about after we survive this though.

Time to party like it's 1999!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 16:25:17
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't worry about it too much. While some businesses will close forever, others will just take their place in the long run, maybe even by the same people who used to run the old businesses.

In other news: Cocaine Mitch approves of putting more money in PPP to be voted on.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 16:36:35
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't worry about it too much. While some businesses will close forever, others will just take their place in the long run, maybe even by the same people who used to run the old businesses.

I am worried though, 25% of our clients are delinquent now on their April accounts. May will probably be 50-60% based off our projections. This will cause us to have to do mass lay offs for our management companies. If it continues through to June we will be broke and have to file bankruptcy.
Well, I hope your company is doing either a PPP loan/grant or an Economic Disaster Loan. Those are there for this very reason.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 16:41:36
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I know. Just saying a lot of the places here will not survive, small business is *** in Vegas.
Can't imagine Vegas right now, that place is 99% dependant on mass people intermingling and spending dough (cash is just as infected as anything else right now, don't forget).

Crazy to think of that place grinding to a halt. A lot of out of work people down there I am sure. That sucks. If it totally collapses could come up here and mine for gold, may be one of the few industries that may boon during this.

Gold in technology alone makes it considered essential industry in my book, not to mention it's monetary value.

Recreational type stuff is going to be the biggest hit, and I am talking about more than just vacations and concerts, I am talking pro sports, literal items that are considered 'toys', people will re-evaluate heavily what kind of products in this world are worth investing their money into. At least I would hope.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 16:48:02
Link | Citer | R

Yea I've driven through Vegas quite a few times, literally can't picture it w/o traffic, that would creep me out.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 18:13:29
Link | Citer | R

I am worried though, 25% of our clients are delinquent now on their April accounts. May will probably be 50-60% based off our projections. This will cause us to have to do mass lay offs for our management companies. If it continues through to June we will be broke and have to file bankruptcy.
Well, I hope your company is doing either a PPP loan/grant or an Economic Disaster Loan. Those are there for this very reason.

Its not enough to keep us afloat or the companies in the same industry. Even with the PPP we will not be able to sustain the required cash flow to stay alive. Sucks but you can't shut down the entire economy and survive on a small loan. We've already cut out all capital improvement projects for the year. Only expense left is payroll and its coming soon. We have 30 properties that will be affected and about 600 employees that will laid off. Nothing we can do unfortunately.
PPP loan on itself can at least keep payroll going for 2 months (that's why they try to figure 2.5 times your estimated payroll using either 2019's numbers or "seasonal" payroll using February 15, 2019 to June 30, 2019 average monthly payroll).

It's not much, but it's still something, and this is a grant if you maintain payroll for the 2 months required. Which, by all projections, is how long this crisis will last.

Free money is better than nothing. I'm sure your company applied for it. I doubt you will get it because, unless you fall under that special category of "classified small business with 500+ employees" defined by SBA, your employee count is too high to get the grant/loan.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 18:34:00
Link | Citer | R

Its not just payroll though. Uncontrollable operational costs are paid by cash flow. Have you ever paid a water bill for 300k in a month? Have you ever paid 150k power bill in a month? These things require cash flow. These are things we have to look at. Right now one property has 65k delinquency, this is literally half of its monthly cash flow after bills that just has not come in. We have investors and owners that have income expectations. It's over 2M in delinquent accounts that we are looking at for April alone. So yeah, it is what it is.
Oh, don't think I'm arguing with you about this. I know full well what property holders go through.

When I was working, I worked on several clients of mine tax returns. While most of them had an income range between $100k to $1 million, I also had a couple that had income ranges of $1 billion+. While none of them were property owners, I still know what sort of expenses you guys would have.

I'm assuming business property, right?

This is what drives me nuts when people are saying they should be forgiven for rent and stuff. They have no clue how much money is needed to pay for things. Some owners do not "own" their stuff, its mortgaged.
Or it's part of a partnership and/or corporation, especially corporations that are publicly owned. It's not the owners who own the property, it's the business itself.

And businesses cannot survive without food (income).
By Viciouss 2020-04-07 18:40:02
Link | Citer | R

My first unemployment check just got deposited, it didn't have the supercharged bonus from the federal gov't, but apparently states are slow to roll that out. I'm not worried about it, they say all funds will be paid in full, eventually. Until then, the state money is a huge sigh of relief.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 18:46:48
Link | Citer | R

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I don't have to file unemployment.

But I bet it was a pain in the *** to apply for it right now.
First Page 2 3 ... 54 55 56 ... 129 130 131