First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 237 238 239
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-03-05 14:23:24
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I want all the glowing fetters to be not only -99% magical/physical damage taken by which colour they are, but also -99% piercing/blunt/slashing depending on the time of day you enter. That way when the lines are 38 minutes to enter, you'll have NO idea at what point in time what kind of damage you're going to need. This is my only hope.

Just bring more warriors. Problem solved.
[+]
By Aerix 2020-03-05 15:37:13
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Aerix said: »
Be that as it may, using "trash mobs" in an official annoucement isn't really professional.

Hence; Red Flag

SE's translation and quality assurance work has been ***for years now, but that has no relation to the actual content.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-03-05 17:43:57
Link | Citer | R

Be that as it may, using "trash mobs" in an official annoucement isn't really professional. Not that I really care, personally.
I would normally agree. However. This is a video game, and documentation about it should be fine with using video game slang.
(Especially how "雑魚" has insulting connotations in common parlance, "trash mob" is perfectly valid as it conveys the same level of insult. Plus, 雑魚 isn't really all that 敬語. It's slang too.)

This is likely the only time I will ever be defending the terribad translations of the ENG pre-update info dump, because for once, they actually translated something with an english equivalent without completely changing everything about the sentence stated.
Looking at you, 下着姿ですがその雄姿.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-03-06 22:56:08
Link | Citer | R

FaeQueenCory said: »
雑魚

FWIW, 雑魚 (Zako) is also an extremely commonly used term in the JP "shmup"/shooting game world. Often translated in that community as "popcorn" enemies. As in, the little ships that die from a shot or two as you're zipping through the level, as compared to a boss/midboss that lives a while while you deal with its complex bullet patterns.

I really like the translation here as "trash mobs". It's totally consistent with the terminology the English-speaking FFXI community actually uses to describe these enemies. This is ideal translation/localization, getting the meaning across perfectly for the target audience without relying on an overly literal translation that has less meaning for someone who isn't a native Japanese speaker.
[+]
By Aerix 2020-03-07 08:25:29
Link | Citer | R

Sure, "trash mobs" conveys the meaning very well, but nobody would have been confused if they had written "regular monsters" or "normal foes". If anything, slang could be more difficult to understand for non-native speakers who read the announcements (and can't read the other translations).
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-03-07 09:20:53
Link | Citer | R

Those trashmobnists...
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-03-07 10:21:51
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
I really like the translation here as "trash mobs". It's totally consistent with the terminology the English-speaking FFXI community actually uses to describe these enemies. This is ideal translation/localization, getting the meaning across perfectly for the target audience without relying on an overly literal translation that has less meaning for someone who isn't a native Japanese speaker.
EXACTLY.
This is also like the only time they've ever done so... so... credit where credit is due. They did a 100 translation for once.
Here's an example of failing at a similar translation:
Spoiler for sideboob?
[+]
By Afania 2020-03-07 11:31:35
Link | Citer | R

Sure, "trash mobs" conveys the meaning very well, but nobody would have been confused if they had written "regular monsters" or "normal foes". If anything, slang could be more difficult to understand for non-native speakers who read the announcements (and can't read the other translations).

"Trash mob" isnt just a slang, its an MMO term.

A non-native speaker who plays MMO will know what trash mobs are but a native speaker who isnt a gamer may not.

Its a fine term to use, IMO. "Regular monsters" sounds distanced, like SE doesnt even play MMO.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-03-07 12:10:32
Link | Citer | R

It actually sounds like they hired a new kid to translate stuffs. The previous one wouldnt use that term as he never did.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-03-07 12:17:48
Link | Citer | R

Fun wow story on this front: back in wrath of the lich King, raiders were upset with the number of trash mobs in early raids, and Jeff Kaplan acknowledged the complaint and gave his response by specifically NOT calling them "trash mobs," but rather "non-boss encounters." The forums caught fire, and the next raid was a (failed, IMO) experiment in making a raid with multiple bosses and zero trash.

So yeah, common slang terminology matters, and has useful subtext.
[+]
By Aerix 2020-03-07 14:46:19
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »

"Trash mob" isnt just a slang, its an MMO term.

A non-native speaker who plays MMO will know what trash mobs are but a native speaker who isnt a gamer may not.

Its a fine term to use, IMO. "Regular monsters" sounds distanced, like SE doesnt even play MMO.

As I said, I don't mind if it's used as it's indeed accurate. It's just unusual and less professional than their usual terminology. Official announcements (of any kind) tend use wording that is more distant and neutral--hence "regular monsters"--but as far as games are concerned it's definitely helpful to communicate more clearly I guess.
[+]
 Bahamut.Minimuse
Serveur: Bahamut
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2020-03-07 21:15:33
Link | Citer | R

For Afania's eyes only <3
[+]
 Asura.Syto
Serveur: Asura
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2020-03-09 09:53:23
Link | Citer | R

Well well well.... Rank 15 style upgrades hinting at an RP based system.. and pretty potent looking Buffs..
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-03-09 10:11:41
Link | Citer | R

Creating a strategy topic weeks before it comes out was a dumb idea. People aren't going to want to go through 4 pages of junk before getting to the actual info.

Teaser info should go in the Dev tracker topic, and someone should make an actual strategy/info topic when the update hits.
[+]
By mhomho 2020-03-09 11:06:53
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »
Creating a strategy topic weeks before it comes out was a dumb idea.

Just Syto things. He's got plenty of /great/ ideas
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2020-03-09 11:16:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »
Creating a strategy topic weeks before it comes out was a dumb idea. People aren't going to want to go through 4 pages of junk before getting to the actual info.

Teaser info should go in the Dev tracker topic, and someone should make an actual strategy/info topic when the update hits.

I'll be updating the main page and most recent page with he latest updates..

Just like every job guide or event guide node thread that has pages of junk and ***posts that people have to sift through..

In fact.. There is not a single thread on these forums where you don't have to sift through crap and trolling/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE comments from our Resident Trolls.. like from.. fonewear..Eiryl.. etc..

The primary page is what matters.. Junk will always be there..

Eventually I'll get mods to clean up the mess.. These forum mods are pretty casual about certain trolls let loose.. Favoritism?? Sure..

You choose where to find your data. This will be a spot..you mad?... Create your own..
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Talym
VIP
Serveur: Sylph
user: Talym
By Sylph.Talym 2020-03-09 11:48:17
Link | Citer | R

Double Attack +5%
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-09 11:54:19
Link | Citer | R

If you wanted to accumulate data on the event in a format that's helpful to others, you should have been contributing to bg-wiki.

More likely you just wanted to associate yourself with the thread in advance so you can pretend you're cutting edge or whatever. They are correct that it didn't need to exist yet.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-03-09 12:10:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Syto said: »
Well well well.... Rank 15 style upgrades hinting at an RP based system.. and pretty potent looking Buffs..

Six months. For like six months I have been beating y'all upside your heads with receipts over this. "hinting at"...... Chile, we have know that this is how it was going to be ever since they first told us this way back in MogiVana47. (so closer to 7months really.)

As for:
Asura.Syto said: »
Should be Macc+45 DT-5% "All Battle Parameters"+10 for Rosette Jaseran +1.
And STR+15 Double Attack+5% for Sailfi Belt +1.

EDIT: Now that I've been able to watch the stream, it's not BPdmg. "All BP+" means "all battle parameter"+, so +10 base stats and stuff. I'm not sure if that includes derived stats and stuff like MDB... cause +10 MDB would be a little crazy. I think it's just base stats. We'll have to see.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-03-09 12:13:54
Link | Citer | R

Lackluster pieces.

If you didnt use them before augments, it wont be the augs to make them appealing.

Plus expecting the rank points to be scarce, certainly those wont be the first one to augment.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-03-09 12:18:58
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »
Lackluster pieces.

If you didnt use them before augments, it wont be the augs to make them appealing.

Plus expecting the rank points to be scarce, certainly those wont be the first one to augment.
I certainly am going to be using this new belt. The augments brought it from poor to excsllent.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Serveur: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-03-09 12:20:16
Link | Citer | R

So with these being augments the way they are shown, there won't be many results in regards to UNM for data mining tonight. I am still going to stream the update.

We can do a before+after look at the augment list in the dat files, but theres no way to connect augments to gear without being in-game and manipulating the data like we did for JSE necks.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-03-09 12:20:29
Link | Citer | R

Lackluster pieces.

what are you talking about. +2%TA, 5%DA, +15STR belt is the best WS belt for STR based WSes BY FAR. Current best is Metalsinger with Str+13, DA+1%. In FFXI standards thats a HUGE step up.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-03-09 12:20:36
Link | Citer | R

Lackluster pieces.

I think you might be judging them too quickly. There are some other UCNM armor who were mostly only held back by a lack of accuracy or just slightly worse of a desired stat than some other piece or both.

Plus there's also the weapons... which we'll have to wait and see how those look.

Though I agree with you that they couldn't have picked a worse armor piece to showcase than Rosette Jaseran +1... the base is bad, and the augments are all over the place. (though at least that dispelled my fears about uniform augments. Everything should be getting unique stuff.)
[+]
By Fayona 2020-03-09 12:20:57
Link | Citer | R

LionRunes Rejoice!
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2020-03-09 12:22:11
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
If you wanted to accumulate data on the event in a format that's helpful to others, you should have been contributing to bg-wiki.

More likely you just wanted to associate yourself with the thread in advance so you can pretend you're cutting edge or whatever. They are correct that it didn't need to exist yet.

There are no set formulas or guidelines in these forums about when to make thread for these kinds of situations like new events and content so... I'm going to go ahead and let people get mad with their OCD about when people make threads.. etc..That's their issue and that's their opinion..

Usually data from this or other sources get transfered to bg-wiki.. This is here mainly as another source.. You don't have to post here.. Make your own thread if you feel your soul has been violated..

I'll continue to update as my LS gets new data once the update hits..
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-03-09 12:47:22
Link | Citer | R

FaeQueenCory said: »
Though I agree with you that they couldn't have picked a worse armor piece to showcase than Rosette Jaseran +1... the base is bad, and the augments are all over the place. (though at least that dispelled my fears about uniform augments. Everything should be getting unique stuff.)

The Blood Pact one seems out of place, the other two maybe actually make sense. It seems designed around taking a hit - a ton of HP for a mage body (good bit of MP as well), a big block of spell interrupt, and presumably a lot of -enmity so that the mob doesn't stay on you. DT fits that. MAcc kind of does too if the idea of the piece is to fire off a sleep or bind or something under fire. At the very least, it makes it an option for casting offensive magic, where before it was kind of devoid of any real stats for that.

I agree though, really cool to see unique stats being added, and ones that may build items towards entirely different uses.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-03-09 13:24:01
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
the other two maybe actually make sense.
Agree 100%. The others work well on building what was sorely missing from the base body (FC, enmity-, SIR all scream "stun" body).

Then you have that BP+10.
Just sitting there.
Doing nothing.
Existing.

Fun fact, one should always watch the video and hear the Devs before accepting what others say.
Now that I've watched the stream (now that Funk shared the link to a capture); "All BP+" isn't a new way of writing BPdmg+.
It stands for "all battle parameter+".
So at least all base stats +n, I think also HP and MP too. But I'm uncertain if derived stats (acc/eva/meva/def/etc) and things like MAB and MDB are included or not at the time of writing this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Nikkije
Serveur: Bahamut
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-03-09 13:25:20
Link | Citer | R

Would that belt replace Fotia for Resolution?
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 237 238 239