Gjallarhorn Worth It Anymore?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Gjallarhorn worth it anymore?
Gjallarhorn worth it anymore?
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Danz
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2019-03-28 00:19:57
Link | Citer | R

the main thing Gjallarhorn had going for it was songs+
yea it gives skill+25, i'm new to bard. how important is skill+? only debuffs right?

i see that there is another flute i can get that i can have +4 songs on for MUCH cheaper.(assuming i'm somewhat lucky)

Linos has base song+1 and can be augmented to have another +3
assuming it stacks, thats as much as Gjallarhorn has
and way cheaper.

additionally, is song+ like geo+ or phantom roll+? in it doesn't stack? or does it stack?
[+]
 Asura.Arico
Serveur: Asura
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2019-03-28 01:14:46
Link | Citer | R

Yes. Linos can't get +4. Only +3.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-28 01:26:46
Link | Citer | R

Also, it stacks pretty far.

[+]
By geigei 2019-03-28 04:32:23
Link | Citer | R

If only there was a brd guide out there.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-03-28 04:42:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Arico said: »
Yes. Linos can't get +4. Only +3.
To better emphasize: the max augment Linos can get is +2 for a total of +3.

Gjallarhorn is the cheapest of the BRD RMEAs which, alas, are pretty much all mandatory if you want to do "serious" content on BRD.
As such yes, Gjallarhorn is totally worth it.

At the same time though, Gjallarhorn used to be our only source of song+4, and only a couple of songs here and there could get additional +1.
Now the situation is different. You get up to +3 from the neck, and then some songs can get up to +2 from other slots.
This means that considering the maximum possible value you can reach for each song, Gjallarhorn represents in 2019 a smaller % than it used to be (where it was like, what, over 90%?).

From this perspective I think it could be considered "acceptable" to have a Linos with a total of Song +3, you would lose "only" +1 song, which is not ideal but frankly it's viable for the majority of content.

Talking briefly about the other REMAs:
1) Marsyas => pretty much a must in nowadays' meta
2) Carnwenhan => mostly a QoL that optimizes how long you can make your good stuff last. It hardly makes a difference for short fights. It used to be a big deal on fights like Vinipata and Albumen but I guess no more.
3) Daurdabla => for mules used mostly for zergs (where you use CC and SV) it's probably not a big deal and you can use Terpander just fine in its place. For main characters I'd say having an additional song is pretty much a big deal. A VERY big deal, especially for lowmen content where you don't get the luxury of BRD prebuff or BRD swapping.

All of these described from the perspective of Buffing. There's more to it when you consider the Debuffing aspect but I left that out on purpose.
[+]
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
Serveur: Bahamut
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2019-03-28 05:30:32
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Danz said: »
yea it gives skill+25, i'm new to bard. how important is skill+? only debuffs right?
You need 900 skill (combined) to cap potency on your buff songs.

i see that there is another flute i can get that i can have +4 songs on for MUCH cheaper.(assuming i'm somewhat lucky)
As people already said, you can get 1+2 maximum. And good luck on that, the "All Songs +2" augment is extremely rare. You probably will spend on it about the same you would spend on a Ghorn.

additionally, is song+ like geo+ or phantom roll+? in it doesn't stack? or does it stack?
It does.

tl;dr get the *** horn.
[+]
 Asura.Briko
user: briko
By Asura.Briko 2019-03-28 08:47:19
Link | Citer | R

Can't speak for your server but gjallahorn is only like 30m on asura
[+]
 Asura.Blitzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2019-03-28 08:48:32
Link | Citer | R

the main thing Gjallarhorn had going for it was songs+

Linos has base song+1 and can be augmented to have another +3
assuming it stacks, thats as much as Gjallarhorn has
and way cheaper.

No offense but is this seriously a question? Ghorn is probably at the rate dyna currency is now gonna be cheaper than praying for that augment and still doesn’t equate to the buff total Ghorn has. Get the horn brah.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Serveur: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2019-03-28 09:04:02
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Alexcennah said: »
You need 900 skill (combined) to cap potency on your buff songs.

As people already said, you can get 1+2 maximum. And good luck on that, the "All Songs +2" augment is extremely rare. You probably will spend on it about the same you would spend on a Ghorn.

It does.

tl;dr get the *** horn.
Straight up
[+]
By fonewear 2019-03-28 09:31:25
Link | Citer | R

Definitely worth it
By Boshi 2019-03-28 09:46:48
Link | Citer | R

Can't play brd without it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-28 09:47:26
Link | Citer | R

If he's a serious bard, he'll have to augment at least 2 Linos with niche stats, so he'll be dropping several million on those at some point anyways. Get the Gjallahorn. Don't be a dummy like me and get Linos songs +2 on it after spending 8mil worth of stones.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-03-28 10:46:10
Link | Citer | R

Don't really "need" Linos for being a "serious BRD". You mean for DDing? Sure it's great but:

1) while Linos is awesome with capped augs, it's not "required" to be decent at DPSing
2) I've been meleeing on BRD since before Abyssea and honestly I don't think it's "required" to consider it a mandatory part of the job if you want to be "serious" about BRD. It's quite misleading, imo. And I'm saying this from the position of one who, as I already mentioned, has been playin ddBRD since like forever.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2019-03-28 11:33:40
Link | Citer | R

personal preffence, but i would do ghorn over linos. even if they where the same strengtht.

Why ?
Because I can set ghorn as a goal and complete but slowly progressing on it when i fell like it and feel that i made progress everytime

linso its random lottery so when i go toss in a copleo f stakc of stones and get nothing it does not feel like progress just waisted time

or in short: random augment sucks do ghorn to avoid them.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-28 11:45:35
Link | Citer | R

"need" "required" is all relative. If you're a "Serious Bard" (translated as not a buff mule), chances are you'll go for the DD setup. 3QA 3DA; 3 WSD etc are invaluable pieces that are unique to bard, and DDing now on BRD is pretty much the standard now for Ambu VD1, because it contributes greatly. But that's besides the primary topic.

Now, what exactly is "Required" for Bard? Marsyas I will agree, Daurdabla, sure because anyone can validate the song buff count (though you can cheese it with CC). Ghorn...idk. Your average group will not know any different if you are using Linos +3 vs Ghorn +4. Nobody is checking their physical accuracy and attack/haste values to confirm they got +3 vs +4 song values. I have done BRD with Linos/Whistle+1 and all the bonus gear for VD1 ambu, nobody noticed the difference. And nobody asks/checks the BRD to make sure they have Horn vs Linos. In the grand scheme, it will go unnoticed unless you're buffing for something like Dynamis Wave3.

I feel like it's worth the time/effort to work on Ghorn personally, but the difference between it and Linos is 12 accuracy and around 20 extra attack, and a few haste points (which you would cap with 2 marches anyhow), as far as buffs are concerned.
By soralin 2019-03-28 11:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Gjallahorn and +3 Neck are required to cap magic haste with Victory March + Honor March.

This is the primary bar that separates the end game bards from the not.

Once you can hit 3+1 songs with SP up and have +8 March, you can do Ambuscade Zerg parties.

Derpyderba is next priority, as well as getting all that juicy +duration gear.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-28 12:01:25
Link | Citer | R

Didn't know it was required to cap magical haste with HM. Thanks for that.
By eliroo 2019-03-28 12:01:55
Link | Citer | R

The haste cap thing is kind of a meme. If you have NQ neck, Gjallarhorn and March+ empy you will be less than a single % away from haste capping your party. Even then either yourself or someone in the group will probably have a sub or a main that can cast haste but the 9/1024 you are missing won't be noticable.

That said, having the +1 neck is still important because it will marginally increase other songs but it definitely doesn't separate end game bards from the not though.

I'd rather have a REA bard with a NQ neck then a RA bard with a HQ one. Then again at that point of spending you probably have the neck.
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2019-03-28 12:06:36
Link | Citer | R

What kind of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE post is this.. if you need ask this don’t play the game.. GG people...
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2019-03-28 12:10:46
Link | Citer | R

Ima make this real simple...as a BRD you need all of your REMA to be useful in an endgame context. GETEM ALL or don’t even think you can come BRD.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-28 12:11:49
Link | Citer | R

Post started with a misunderstanding that Linos could get +3 songs.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-03-28 12:11:57
Link | Citer | R

soralin said: »
Gjallahorn and +3 Neck are required to cap magic haste with Victory March + Honor March.
Leaving marcato and SV aside for obvious reason I seem to recall you needed either one to cap magic haste, not both?
Could be wrong but I swear it was only either ghorn or hq neck.

(ghorn doesn't affect HM, neck affects both).

Edit:
I'm such a failure :<
 Odin.Senaki
Serveur: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-03-28 12:22:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Splendid said: »
Ima make this real simple...as a BRD you need all of your REMA to be useful in an endgame context. GETEM ALL or don’t even think you can come BRD.

Mythic isn't needed, it just makes life easier.

You have to be really petty to not take an ERA Brd.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-03-28 13:25:28
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Senaki said: »

@OP: No reason not to get Gja when it helps so much and is only 40M + a few hours.
Those comments about other items are plain stupid, though, may want to ignore them (they mostly lack any kind of objectivity/nuance and are flat out wrong as a result).

"mandatory" "needed" "the meta", I have no idea how people can throw this kind of pompous and false ***with a straight face.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-03-28 13:34:23
Link | Citer | R

If you dont have empy aeonic relic you are trashhhhh and deserve to wipe to golden kist...

Don't listen to people telling you other wise... i have no idea how people can throw this kind of carebear and false crap with a straight face
[+]
 Carbuncle.Spiketaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Spiketaru 2019-03-28 13:55:55
Link | Citer | R

People are being awfully serious about their BRD in this thread. I think Linos with the total Songs+3 is perfectly fine as a stopgap. In terms of my experience getting the aug across three different characters, it never took more than a stack of +2 stones for each, but it's also a small sample size.

If your group needs a BRD and they don't have one, having the Fili set +1, NQ Moonbow Whistle, Terpander, and Linos with +3 songs is perfectly fine, imo. You can work toward better sets after that. However, if your COR is well-equipped, it might be hard to justify it against the rolls and damage it provides.

I think many people these days are afraid to play a job without full REMA or BiS equipment... which results in "Oh... this job is boring" after you're 150M in or looking silly when a BRD can't keep four songs up with their BiS song set. Play it gimp (Songs+2 from cap, three songs) at first if your group needs one, and if you think it's worth your time and money, get the horn. I got my Moonbow neck+1 first because if I decided to stop BRD, I could always sell it back, lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-03-28 14:18:17
Link | Citer | R

If you want to be forgotten and talked bad about a linos will do you wonders...
[+]
By Aerison 2019-03-28 14:24:47
Link | Citer | R

I'd honestly get harp and aeonic before ghorn.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-03-28 14:27:25
Link | Citer | R

If someone wants to bring bard to an event and they have 3 songs (JSE harp) and all songs +3 I would be fine with this provided the rest of their gear is at an acceptable level.

What I consider acceptable is 109 AF3, NQ Moonbow Whistle, meeting the 900 skill cap. Odds are we would have 2 bards present and doing rotations and the linos bard would be given the task of handling minuets while the other bard is given the task of HM, Mar2, Madx2
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2019-03-28 14:49:14
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Senaki said: »

I was an ERA BRD at one time. Missing Carn when all of my partners had one made BRD swaps less convinient since my songs wore sooner. Got Carn, that’s not a problem at all anymore. Besides if you had ERA you’d probably get Carn eventually—-at least I would hope so. I think it’s a necessity. Of course this is my opinion and you don’t have to listen to it.
First Page 2