Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 217 218 219 ... 424 425 426
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-22 10:29:51
Link | Citer | R

No conspiracy lol, very accurate statement. The only way you could consider XI growing is counting the number of bots that get bought, used for a week, sold, and then another new set get bought.

That IS new copies selling, it's just disingenuous. And they know, they couldn't not know.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-07-22 10:43:28
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I'm not really sure when the last time I met somebody who was completely new to the game. Maybe I'm just interacting with the wrong demographic, but the only people subscribed are people who have either been playing for 15+ years OR the people that played back in the glory days and have recently come back for the nostalgia bombs.

Semi unrelated, but FFXI playerbase is a unique situation -- a majority of people that play this game are between the ages of 30 and 40. We are all a VERY similar demographic. I can't say I've experienced that in any other games. I go play Dead by Daylight and I forget I'm no longer playing with people my own age. I got invited to a Discord chat and I was like yeah sure, I can team up with you. It ended up being 14 year old kid. I felt suddenly very uncomfortable.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
Serveur: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-22 10:49:23
Link | Citer | R

There's definitely new legitimate subscribers joining on a daily basis still. You can see their posts around the community, asking questions. SE's mentor system changes really don't seem to be getting put to good use. It's probably another thing on top of the giant heap of things for a new player to have to absorb.

Bahamut.Belkin said: »
Semi unrelated, but FFXI playerbase is a unique situation -- a majority of people that play this game are between the ages of 30 and 40. We are all a VERY similar demographic. I can't say I've experienced that in any other games.

This is something I've enjoyed a lot. Most of the XI playerbase are roughly my age group. It's so much easier to play a group-oriented game like this in this state. If the retail servers make it another 10 years, we're going to start seeing more of the players dying off or aging out of video games for some reason. It's a really weird thing to think about for a video game.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-22 10:55:24
Link | Citer | R

Setting my Home Point in a nursing home is gonna be wild. Really hoping I don't get the arthritis in my hands in my old age though.
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-07-22 10:59:27
Link | Citer | R

I felt suddenly very uncomfortable.
This is how I feel when some old *** dude in FFXI uses "senpai" or "uwu"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-07-22 10:59:41
Link | Citer | R

They sound enthused enough to keep the game running for as long as possible, and they continue to say "even if the game no longer gets updated"... Sounds like the 20th anniversary is their last hoorah, and then they are riding into the sunset. Unless they decide to switch gears and invest back into ffxi, it looks like they are content to just maintain the servers and let the game play itself out.

And why is it that every time they talk about the 20th anniversary in interviewed, it sounds less exciting with each retelling?
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-22 11:05:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Setting my Home Point in a nursing home is gonna be wild. Really hoping I don't get the arthritis in my hands in my old age though.

Someone's gotta open your gobbie box every day and use those Mars orbs.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-22 11:14:06
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
They sound enthused enough to keep the game running for as long as possible, and they continue to say "even if the game no longer gets updated"... Sounds like the 20th anniversary is their last hoorah, and then they are riding into the sunset. Unless they decide to switch gears and invest back into ffxi, it looks like they are content to just maintain the servers and let the game play itself out.

Really hard to tell. They were prepared to see XI lose support and slowing die off years ago, but the players kept playing and money kept coming in. Matsui's spoken about how it's odd for the developers to be basically stuck working on it. Other posters on FFXIAH will poo poo on the revenue amount, but it's clear SE realizes they're leaving decent money on the table if they don't keep it prodding along for the present time.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-22 11:36:39
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Negan said: »

*dab dab* Got some good swag from that level 1 rabbit. I thought it was gonna kill me but YOLO. Yeet yeet yeet. It was lit, fam.
[+]
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
Serveur: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2021-07-22 11:43:49
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Herbs said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

put closed captions on

But yet he gets so much ***for hating XI from people, idk seems awfully passionate about it obviously not as much as XIV. I think Yoshi is a pretty solid guy.
 Sylph.Herbs
Serveur: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2021-07-22 11:53:04
Link | Citer | R

I remember reading that Disney was really mad because Star wars fans had little interest in buying collectables and toys for thew new movies, they wanted more merch for the old ones. What this means is the older fans were buying them, the people in their 30s and 40s. The younger fans were not buying the overpriced merch much at all.

The decision they had was do we stop making these older collectables and lose the money or keep making them.

If you think you can convert your customers to buy the new toys then the choice is obvious, but these people are not going to buy the new stuff and so they had to keep making darth vader and xwing stuff.

This is the same, most XI players are not going to move to XIV because it's a totally different game and they also know almost all of us have tried it already. So do they just lose the millions of dollars 11 brings in a year for no reason or do they keep supporting it?
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-22 12:19:47
Link | Citer | R

This is the same, most XI players are not going to move to XIV because it's a totally different game and they also know almost all of us have tried it already. So do they just lose the millions of dollars 11 brings in a year for no reason or do they keep supporting it?

Pretty much spot on.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-07-22 12:19:49
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Negan said: »

*dab dab* Got some good swag from that level 1 rabbit. I thought it was gonna kill me but YOLO. Yeet yeet yeet. It was lit, fam.

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you using wildly out-of-date slang is the joke or
 Bahamut.Belkin
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-07-22 12:37:23
Link | Citer | R

I think he made himself pretty clear, fam.
[+]
By 1thenumber 2021-07-22 12:42:26
Link | Citer | R

Except they already said goodbye to the game, and goodbye to the players, 6 years ago. And yet we persisted and here we are again. I personally thought RoV would be the end of FFXI and Omen would be the last new content we ever got, and that all worlds population would steadily decline after. I was clearly proven wrong, and now my guess is that we are having this same conversation 5 years from now about the 25th anniversary - "Is this the last update"?

And why is it that every time they talk about the 20th anniversary in interviewed, it sounds less exciting with each retelling?

That's what you get for having any expectations!
 Sylph.Herbs
Serveur: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2021-07-22 12:57:17
Link | Citer | R

I remember having an argument 15 years ago on Allkaham about how FFXI was dying, people have been saying it forever.

Remember when ff14 was actually called project rapture?
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-22 13:07:39
Link | Citer | R

I remember having an argument 15 years ago on Allkaham about how FFXI was dying, people have been saying it forever.

Remember when ff14 was actually called project rapture?

People were posting FFXI IS DYING!!!1 as memes even back then, mocking other posters.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-22 13:12:20
Link | Citer | R

"Meme" wasn't even a word back then.
 Asura.Aessk
user: Hobbes423
By Asura.Aessk 2021-07-22 13:26:26
Link | Citer | R

"Meme" wasn't even a word back then.
Irrelevant, I know. But just a short education:
The word is older then you might think.

"Meme isn't new: it dates to evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins' 1976 book The Selfish Gene"

"The word wasn't entered until 1998, when it earned a spot in an update of the Tenth Edition of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary."
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-22 13:35:40
Link | Citer | R

We might not have even called them memes then, but the behavior was the same.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-22 13:54:39
Link | Citer | R

I am very sorry for this entire thread derail happening now, but at least I learned something.

Please carry on trying to determine the long-term stability of the game, the profit/cost ratio that leads to it still being active, and trying to determine the long and short term goals of the Japanese development team.

Like Altana and Promathia intended this thread for.
 Odin.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-07-22 15:00:13
Link | Citer | R

We all know we're going to be living in a retirement home while still playing this game and questioning if it will die.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2021-07-22 15:29:08
Link | Citer | R

I'll probably still be playing FFXI after the singularity.

And someone will still say the game is dying.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-07-22 15:31:51
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I'll probably still be playing FFXI after the singularity.

then you will be ffxi
[+]
By Draylo 2021-07-22 17:59:05
Link | Citer | R

That will be me! Remember when we were young and it was cool to say "I'll be here until the servers shut down!"
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-07-22 18:31:18
Link | Citer | R

The userbase will still be going up 600 years from now lmao. What a stupid thing to get hyped over. The population is not going up. WE. NEED. CONTENT. IF YOU WANT FFXI TO GROW, DEMAND CONTENT.

You guys cry and cry and cry and cry about ff14 using the 10 million users statistic but are willing to jump all over this one's ***. This community has truly gotten bad. We used to be able to call out SE here. Lately it's just *** sucking
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-22 20:46:44
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Tsm said: »
This community has truly gotten bad. We used to be able to call out SE here. Lately it's just *** sucking

Stockholm Syndrome.
[+]
By Draylo 2021-07-22 22:55:03
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Tsm said: »
The userbase will still be going up 600 years from now lmao. What a stupid thing to get hyped over. The population is not going up. WE. NEED. CONTENT. IF YOU WANT FFXI TO GROW, DEMAND CONTENT.

You guys cry and cry and cry and cry about ff14 using the 10 million users statistic but are willing to jump all over this one's ***. This community has truly gotten bad. We used to be able to call out SE here. Lately it's just *** sucking

Fight the good fight!
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-23 09:45:01
Link | Citer | R

They give us content they call it log on campaign. And changing out ambu. Sure it's recycled but it is content.
By zigzagzig 2021-07-23 10:36:36
Link | Citer | R

For the 20th, some leak says:

SE going big on Reward for Veteran this time:

1 in game T-shirt ( SE love you long time )

1 ring def +10

and a Hugh Gil present of 10k ....

I just can't wait !

(PS: 20 years at 17 euros/month = 4080 Euros Fee of Subs... )
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 217 218 219 ... 424 425 426