Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 216 217 218 ... 424 425 426
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-08 15:52:27
Link | Citer | R

it would completely negate Ongo's whole mechanic for example. The crakclaw, the umbril, the acuex.

Don't know if a drk could solo it to death with melee or not, but that's irrelevant. They set all this up specifically without worrying about something like a twilight scythe, just to bring it back.

Edit; It could also totally break Quadav ambu and effect soulflayer ambu.
By SimonSes 2021-07-08 16:01:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
it would completely negate Ongo's whole mechanic for example. The crakclaw, the umbril, the acuex.

Don't know if a drk could solo it to death with melee or not, but that's irrelevant. They set all this up specifically without worrying about something like a twilight scythe, just to bring it back.

Isnt Twilight Scythe effect the same as Formless Strikes? In which case you could do this on MNK (potentially for full fight using Random Deal and Wild Card) with also much better white damage than DRK with even ilvl Twilight Scythe working all the time?
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-08 16:03:30
Link | Citer | R

DRK with an unnerfed ilvl Twilight Scythe would be useless on any Ongo or Marmorkrebs that matters. Gone are the times when white damage and WS damage ere 50:50 or higher, and WSs would still do crap for damage. Unless the other stats are ridiculous, they'd likely only do a little bit more than if they were using Caladbolg or Liberator.

It was overpowered back in the day because it let you bypass outright immunity/near-immunity gimmicks (Caturae shields, Delve mobs with 95% damage reduction unless you do something, etc., which SE hasn't done for years.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-08 16:04:04
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »

Isnt Twilight Scythe effect the same as Formless Strikes? In which case you could do this on MNK (potentially for full fight using Random Deal and Wild Card) with also much better white damage than DRK with even ilvl Twilight Scythe working all the time?
No, they're different. Twilight Scythe is typeless damage, while Formless Strikes is non-elemental breath damage.
By SimonSes 2021-07-08 16:07:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »

No, they're different. Twilight Scythe is typeless damage, while Formless Strikes is non-elemental breath damage.

How about Murasamemaru?
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-08 16:13:35
Link | Citer | R

How about Murasamemaru?
That should be typeless damage on WS. An ilvl Murasamemaru would be a lot more broken than an unnerfed ilvl Twilight Scythe in today's day and age.
By SimonSes 2021-07-08 16:30:49
Link | Citer | R

How about Murasamemaru?
That should be typeless damage on WS. An ilvl Murasamemaru would be a lot more broken than an unnerfed ilvl Twilight Scythe in today's day and age.

I mean isnt it is already? Sure you lose tons of acc/att, but nothing that buffs couldnt handle probably and WS damage with 111 base damage and +12STR GKT should still be good. Should still do like 60-70% of ilvl GKT Fudo, which should easily be way more than melee damage from ilvl Twilight Scythe no?
By joemamma 2021-07-08 17:38:30
Link | Citer | R

60% of the time this thread is terrible.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-07-08 18:56:22
Link | Citer | R

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Asura.Essylt said: »
Asura.Aeonova said: »
Called it before, but it's worth repeating. They're making a Final Fantasy XI (11) animated series or movie or miniseries. They already have the studio that is working on a Final Fantasy IX (9) anime.
That would make no sense business-wise. Unless they're targeting the very niche demographic of "middle-aged people nostalgic for their youth wasted on being video game nerds", it would be something with fairly significant production costs and very little in-built audience. If you're going to make a an anime about a FF MMO, XIV is the much more likely candidate, especially considering the recent surge in popularity it's had.
Looking at it purely from a business standpoint, if you're going to spend money on anything XI-related, it's a much better move to invest in the game itself, since that way you're least getting recurring revenue as opposed to one-time sale.

I mean, from a business standpoint the best thing to do with this IP would have been the mobile game.

Factually accurate, mobile gaming is absolutely ridiculous. Growth is literal insanity. And they tried, they just did the square thing and picked the absolute worst company to do it with.
The problem here is that XI is pretty much a complete antithesis of the kind of game that does good on mobile. If you want to make it work on a mobile platform, you'd have to redesign everything from the ground up and end up with something that just has XI name and some themed visuals, but is a completely different game at the core. I can't imagine that would be very welcomed by existing fans, so you run into the same audience vs. cost problems as you do with the anime. Not to mention SE did the typical SE thing and outsourced it to *** Nexon.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-07-08 22:12:53
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
The problem here is that XI is pretty much a complete antithesis of the kind of game that does good on mobile. If you want to make it work on a mobile platform, you'd have to redesign everything from the ground up and end up with something that just has XI name and some themed visuals, but is a completely different game at the core. I can't imagine that would be very welcomed by existing fans, so you run into the same audience vs. cost problems as you do with the anime. Not to mention SE did the typical SE thing and outsourced it to *** Nexon.

We don't need to speculate about how an FFXI mobile game would go over with fans in principle because there already was one.

FF Grandmasters happened and people didn't riot. It turns out people don't really care all that much one way or the other: if the Nexon XI was good, some people would play it, and if it was bad, we'd make fun of it and it'd be ignored.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2021-07-08 23:39:43
Link | Citer | R

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
FF Grandmasters happened and people didn't riot.
I didn't say anyone would riot. I said the game would struggle with finding an audience and, by extension, making money. Which is precisely what happened with Grandmasters, and SE took it out behind the shed and put it out of its misery as soon as the initial novelty wore off.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-15 12:51:29
Link | Citer | R

This probably won't get any traction but a post you can drop a like on. Raise other HTMB costs along with drop rates.
Would you pay double merits for double lillith % yeah I'd bet certainly.

Quote:
marid
I thought that I would like you to raise the drop of equipment because you can raise the cost of other BFs as well.

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/39824-%E4%B8%8A%E4%BD%8D%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3BC%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84%E3%81%A6/page21
By Draylo 2021-07-16 01:46:10
Link | Citer | R

https://we-are-vanadiel.finalfantasyxi.com/post/?id=115&lang=en
 Cerberus.Balloon
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2021-07-16 03:43:34
Link | Citer | R

It's really fascinating to see that gear swapping - a fundamental part of FFXI, was an unintended consequence of something.

I really don't think FFXI would have had it's longevity without it.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2021-07-16 10:03:57
Link | Citer | R

Kinda explains why they just dropped that brilliant mechanic like a hot potato when developing the original XIV release. It's honestly baffling how you can stumble on such a great design and not understand what you have.
[+]
By Rips 2021-07-16 10:39:54
Link | Citer | R

This probably won't get any traction but a post you can drop a like on. Raise other HTMB costs along with drop rates.
Would you pay double merits for double lillith % yeah I'd bet certainly.

Quote:
marid
I thought that I would like you to raise the drop of equipment because you can raise the cost of other BFs as well.

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/39824-%E4%B8%8A%E4%BD%8D%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3BC%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84%E3%81%A6/page21

Oh, 100%. I'd pay all my merits for the scaled increased chance.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-16 10:48:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Essylt said: »
Kinda explains why they just dropped that brilliant mechanic like a hot potato when developing the original XIV release. It's honestly baffling how you can stumble on such a great design and not understand what you have.

It's really not, if you think about it for one second. They don't play, they don't know, they don't care.

You say it like holy ***, this mechanic is so great, how could they ever not... by simply not knowing anything about it.

Asmongold just did a great video on just that (reacting to a WOW dev's tweets). And the company man did a video about activision kind of covering the same deal. How games in general have gone from "by gamers for themselves, that you just happen to be allowed to play too" to "by money for money, *** you"
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2021-07-16 19:01:02
Link | Citer | R

Asmongold just did a great video on just that (reacting to a WOW dev's tweets). And the company man did a video about activision kind of covering the same deal. How games in general have gone from "by gamers for themselves, that you just happen to be allowed to play too" to "by money for money, *** you"
Except in SE's case, it's literally all the same people running things. There was no corporate merger, no "suits ruining things", nothing like that.
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2021-07-16 19:17:03
Link | Citer | R

Did they specify the “increase”? Going from a 1% drop rate to 2% is an increase…this is SE remember…
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-16 19:18:55
Link | Citer | R

No, of course not, but that's what they're going to do, except it's .1% > .3% maybe since they don't have a preset .3% they may bump it up a tier to the .5% instead!

"technically not lying" More is infact more.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-16 19:38:16
Link | Citer | R

I leave the game for 3 days and all of a sudden... Magneto.
By Draylo 2021-07-16 22:27:34
Link | Citer | R

Is this the correct way to use the mentor chat!?

[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-07-16 22:28:51
Link | Citer | R

I'd say so! Pops out being in pretty blue font etc
By Rips 2021-07-16 22:45:27
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »

These RMT helping out noobs with a discount. It’s what we love to see. <3
[+]
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2021-07-17 09:06:29
Link | Citer | R

Rips said: »
Draylo said: »

These RMT helping out noobs with a discount. It’s what we love to see. <3

“Working as intended”
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-18 13:33:46
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
It's really fascinating to see that gear swapping - a fundamental part of FFXI, was an unintended consequence of something.

FFXI has a lot more micromanagement than any other MMO on the market in general, and I think that has a lot to do with its appeal. In FFXIV dungeons and raid bosses are scripted. You always know where the dungeon mobs are, how many of them there are, and what to expect from them. Raid bosses go through set phases with set burst windows and you know beforehand where you should or shouldn't be standing at any given time.

FFXI's combat is more fluid, and there's a lot more micromanagement from fight to fight. From micromanaging your defensive abilities to responding to things the mobs do in a fight the combat flow is more dynamic. You can't predict when mobs are going to cast sleepga instead of a nuke, managing slept versus non-slept adds changes from fight to fight, and random things like three rabbits using whirl claws in unison or a sudden mijin unexpectedly going off really change up the feel of a fight even though you've done it before. In addition to the gear swapping, combat just feels more fluid and that's a big part of the reason FFXI's combat feels so interesting and engaging.
[+]
 Sylph.Herbs
Serveur: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2021-07-22 06:12:23
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

put closed captions on
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-22 07:36:15
Link | Citer | R

An interesting (to me!) tidbit there, subtle? coincidental? Accidental?

the USERbase is still growing

Not the playerbase. You may ask, well what's the difference. Think. When you've got people buying 18 galka a week, yeah, that's "growing" alright.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-07-22 10:13:28
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

FFXI has a lot more micromanagement than any other MMO on the market in general, and I think that has a lot to do with its appeal. In FFXIV dungeons and raid bosses are scripted. You always know where the dungeon mobs are, how many of them there are, and what to expect from them. Raid bosses go through set phases with set burst windows and you know beforehand where you should or shouldn't be standing at any given time.

FFXI's combat is more fluid, and there's a lot more micromanagement from fight to fight. From micromanaging your defensive abilities to responding to things the mobs do in a fight the combat flow is more dynamic. You can't predict when mobs are going to cast sleepga instead of a nuke, managing slept versus non-slept adds changes from fight to fight, and random things like three rabbits using whirl claws in unison or a sudden mijin unexpectedly going off really change up the feel of a fight even though you've done it before. In addition to the gear swapping, combat just feels more fluid and that's a big part of the reason FFXI's combat feels so interesting and engaging.

The heavy scripting is an interesting point to unpack. The reason games like 14 and WoW have this heavy scripting is because the content is supposed to be overcome in a relatively short amount of time - usually a few months or less - before the next round comes up, and the devs closely test and monitor feedback, tweaking numbers, tweaking timers and triggers on abilities, range, etc. etc., so the fights always feel appropriately challenging but never unfair. And that's good! That's good active game design and I'm not trying to mock it; it's a competent expression of the devs holding the reins closely.

The way I usually explain my continued fascination with XI is that it's the complete opposite of that. There is no control, there's no consideration of how new content measures up to an "intended" power level, there's not even any "intended" power level because current power levels in the playerbase are all over the goddamn place and the very idea of power in this game is based on mechanics that veterans like us take for granted but it is not at all clear the devs understand. It's the Wild West out here! I love it!
By SimonSes 2021-07-22 10:23:59
Link | Citer | R

An interesting (to me!) tidbit there, subtle? coincidental? Accidental?

the USERbase is still growing

Not the playerbase. You may ask, well what's the difference. Think. When you've got people buying 18 galka a week, yeah, that's "growing" alright.

Its only translation, so we dont even know what he actually said in japanese. I think you just want to hear what suits your conspiracy theory.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 216 217 218 ... 424 425 426