Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12
By anik 2017-12-21 23:53:04
Link | Citer | R

Yeah and that kamikaze ship... well that just wrecked the force. I never thought of ramming a ship into another ship while watching a star wars flick. Now, it's all I think about... why not just ram the death star...

that one scene from TLJ... looks cool... but it just wrecked everything in my star warsian imagination. Begging the question, why are people fighting these wars when there are plenty of big ships and droids. Which in all other star wars movies were failed attempts, but now ***works. So FU FORCE!
By anik 2017-12-22 00:03:56
Link | Citer | R

Darth Donald
R2Pluto
Mickey Skywalker
Princess Minnie
Emperor McDuck

Star Wars: A New Trope
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2017-12-22 00:05:58
Link | Citer | R

Meesa stopped watching after Ep1 personally
[+]
By volkom 2017-12-22 00:51:03
Link | Citer | R

no point to space battles anymore. as soon as you see a first order fleet. just sacrifice a ship to wipe everything out.
By Draylo 2017-12-22 02:49:11
Link | Citer | R

This movie sucked so bad. I left shocked at how terrible they handled star wars.
[+]
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2017-12-22 04:52:32
Link | Citer | R

I don't get the obsession with the kamikaze ship. The argument of "Why not kamikaze the Death Star" seems really stupid to me as well.

To start of the Death Star was much much larger than the Dreadnought and needed a force assisted X-Wing shot to be able to destroy, throwing ships at it wouldn't have done the job.

The reason for the kamikaze effort made sense as well, they're picking off the escaping ships one by one, she only had one option available to stop the Dreadnought, whereas constant kamikaze efforts on the Death Star would lose so many more lives and barely make a dent.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-22 07:16:44
Link | Citer | R

Despite how awful everything about the purple-haired Mary Sue was, I found that particular scene fairly impressive. Mostly because it's something I'd always wanted to do in any game where you could pilot a starship and something I'd always wanted to see a pilot about to get shot down do in Star Wars. The closest we ever got to that kind of scene was the A-Wing in RotJ who flew straight into the bridge of a Star Destroyer.

However, I take exception to the anime-style flash frames after the fact, which had absolutely no place being in a Star Wars film.
Kinda like how 99% of the content from TFA and TLJ doesn't belong in the Star Wars universe to begin with.

But hey, *** the fans, Disney's gotta make a return from purchasing the franchise by selling trash to children and anyone dumb enough to buy it.

Shitty comic relief aside, I thought TLJ was doing alright up until to the scene with Leia, at which point logic died and the story began to feel like a freshmen tried to finish writing it five minutes before their homework was due in class.

Draylo said: »
I left shocked at how terrible they handled star wars.
I waited twelve hours for the Mexi-cam version to show up online.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-22 07:28:52
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
no point to space battles anymore. as soon as you see a first order fleet. just sacrifice a ship to wipe everything out.

While that whole idea was dumb, my best guess would be that the fleet felt so confident in destroying the last Rebel cruiser that they never thought it would jump try to jump to lightspeed ~through~ the fleet.

Now to the bigger idea of why not on the death star, well it's about mass. The smaller the ship the less damage it would do going through such a sudden acceleration burst. That Rebel cruiser had enough mass to cripple but not destroy the imperial flag ship, which would be much smaller then something like the death star. Cruisers are expensive, hard to find when your a guerrilla rebellion, and generally protected at all costs because their strategic value is so large. So I guess no one really ever wanted to sacrifice such valuable assets on a suicide run that would normally be so easily defended against.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-12-22 07:41:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
Now to the bigger idea of why not on the death star, well it's about mass.

Death Star surface.

Star Destroyer causing "minimal" damage (relatively speaking), for scale.

[+]
By Viciouss 2017-12-22 07:41:59
Link | Citer | R

All of the space battles that went down in Clone Wars and Rebels, why not just kamikaze? Forget about the Death Star question, you could have just run a couple of ships out there to begin every battle and taken out every fleet you were up against, no casualties on your side.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-22 07:46:12
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

That was a "Super" Star Destroyer even, larger more heavily armed and still didn't do much to the Death Star. A cruiser doing the whole light-speed kamikaze would of done damage, but not significant enough to change anything and the chances of them pulling it off were minimal with how heavily defended the Death Star was.

The only reason it worked (other then SCRIPT) is that the First Order didn't expect it at all.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-12-22 08:09:13
Link | Citer | R

other then SCRIPT

Yeah...

Honestly I sometimes wonder how some people enjoy anything anymore. If you're not willing to suspend disbelief for a *** space opera then what are you willing to do it for? Unplug and enjoy a spectacle or don't. But don't get rageface about it.

Or, you know. Do. Free country I guess.

But if a hobby/interest isn't fun for you anymore, drop it and move onto a new hobby/interest. Don't devote yourself to insisting someone else make it "better" just for you. Remember the good times and move on.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-22 08:34:59
Link | Citer | R

So basically this is is The Last Jedi:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-12-22 12:49:39
Link | Citer | R

Now to the bigger idea of why not on the death star, well it's about mass. The smaller the ship the less damage it would do going through such a sudden acceleration burst.

At light speed it would tear through it. Heck even a booger aimed at the deathstar at light speed would tear right through it.
E=mc^2
The damage from a small ship travelling at light speed through the deathstar is going to do more dmg than a force assisted widdle missile.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-22 12:56:48
Link | Citer | R

Blazed1979 said: »
Now to the bigger idea of why not on the death star, well it's about mass. The smaller the ship the less damage it would do going through such a sudden acceleration burst.

At light speed it would tear through it. Heck even a booger aimed at the deathstar at light speed would tear right through it.
E=mc^2
The damage from a small ship travelling at light speed through the deathstar is going to do more dmg than a force assisted widdle missile.

It would probably cause a massive black hole also and suck all the Mary Sue characters into it !
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-12-22 13:36:39
Link | Citer | R

MERRY CHRISTMAS STAR WARS NERDS!!!
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-22 13:38:22
Link | Citer | R

Blazed1979 said: »

E=mc^2

That is a very misapplied definition of that formula. If you could convert all of the fighters mass into energy and apply it simultaneously to the deathstar then yes it would destroy the death-star and most of the local star systems, that's not whats happening though. The ship isn't even hitting "lightspeed" nor even a fraction of it, it's not possible to accelerate to "lightspeed" as that would require more energy then exists in the entire universe. The ships are opening a miniature hole to hyperspace and being accelerated through that hole into a meta-dimension where the normal rules of physics no longer apply. What happened in the TLJ is that women had the cruiser start the process of entering that hyperspace but with the hole being on the other side of the Imperial flag ship such that the Cruiser accelerated through the flag ship and was destroyed in the process.

Please remember that when most of this "space magic" techno-*** was created the Hollywood script writers had zero idea of how physics actually worked and instead were all social sciences graduates. Much later it, like Star Trek, was heavily retconned to at least be somewhat kinda maybe plausible.

If anyone wants a really fun read involving space battles and what physics would actually be like, then check out the Star Carrier series by Ian Douglas. What happens when two objects moving at 0.997c impact each other? It's pretty spectacular.
[+]
By volkom 2017-12-22 17:02:19
Link | Citer | R

Now to the bigger idea of why not on the death star, well it's about mass.

Death Star surface.

but f=ma right? sure the super star destroyer has a lot of mass but it was going pretty slow, maybe if it used its hyperdrive we'd seen a bigger hole. and yeah i get the argument that going lightspeed+ into a star destroyer would do a lot of damage but significant enough to destroy it, but like the A-wing reference ~ why not just sacrifice some small light craft into the bridge. wipe out the top of the chain of command.

idk overall the movie has a lot of flaws that contradicts much of the setup from TFA as well as shits all over the original trilogy. The movie prompts more questions than provides answers.
Also I was going through a view youtube comments on some of the Mark Hamill interviews on TLJ, saw one that said maybe Hamill wasn't told that Luke was going to get killed off so thats why the clip that shows him and Rian Johnson at the premier looks like he's about to murder him or something
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-12-22 21:38:00
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
and suck all the Mary Sue characters into it !

So like...who is left?

A bunch of storm troopers and a fat rebel pilot or two?
By fonewear 2017-12-22 21:39:29
Link | Citer | R

So like...who is left?

When I saw there is a purple haired woman that is enough reason for me to avoid.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-12-22 21:39:41
Link | Citer | R

Also holy ***trying to apply physics to Star Wars, but only selectively.

"Space fantasy."
By fonewear 2017-12-22 21:40:46
Link | Citer | R

If it said Star Wars the last star wars ever... I'd probably go to see it.

They might as well just change the title cause it isn't Star Wars really. It is Disney presents some shitty movie...with familiar characters. Doing sorta Star Wars related stuff.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-12-22 21:44:55
Link | Citer | R

So like...who is left?

When I saw there is a purple haired woman that is enough reason for me to avoid.

Gotta be honest. The way some people around here are crying I went in expecting to be beaten over the head by a cadre of rebel women wearing vagina hats.

The ONLY heavy-handed allegory I saw (as pertains, again, to "social issues") was a thinly-veiled shot to the dome of the military-industrial complex in the Finn bit. I could have done without that part because it felt a little too prequel for me, but I can live with it.
By Ramyrez 2017-12-22 21:47:49
Link | Citer | R

They might as well just change the title cause it isn't Star Wars really.

Why?

If you dislike what they've done with the series, that's your prerogative. But how is it "not really Star Wars?"

No George Lucas direct involvement?

Shifting the story line to new characters?

I fully understand if they're not how you want Star Wars to be.

But in every measurable, assessable metric -- from story to legal ownership -- they are Star Wars.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-22 21:50:57
Link | Citer | R

They might as well just change the title cause it isn't Star Wars really.

Why?

If you dislike what they've done with the series, that's your prerogative. But how is it "not really Star Wars?"

Shifting the story line to new characters?

I fully understand if they're not how you want Star Wars to be.

But in every measurable, assessable metric -- from story to legal ownership -- they are Star Wars.

As far as I'm concerned it stopped being Star Wars after it Disney got involved. It would be like if Matt Groening sold the Simpsons after season 2. It would no longer be the Simpsons.
 Asura.Gwindor
user: finarfin
By Asura.Gwindor 2017-12-22 22:51:57
Link | Citer | R

saw it and ..... wow... did I spend that much time checking another BORING Star wars movie............

it was VERY awful.... point.
[+]
By Afania 2017-12-23 02:16:43
Link | Citer | R

Why?

George Lucas also directed ep1 if I remember correctly and they said ep1 was the worst SW movie ever made.

So yeah, nothing will make people happy because everyone will forever compare it with the original trilogy with a rose-tinted glasses since no movie can replicate that 1977 magic ever again.
[+]
By axetofall 2017-12-23 03:14:11
Link | Citer | R

The movie was dope you whiny nerds. Glad Rian Johnson had some balls and was willing to do things a bit differently. Too bad JJ will most likely reverse all that ***and wrap up the trilogy in the most by-the-numbers fan servicey way he can.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-12-23 09:16:17
Link | Citer | R

Also holy ***trying to apply physics to Star Wars, but only selectively.

"Space fantasy."
Physics has no place in Star Wars. Lucas deliberately copied dogfighting moves from WWII movies for his space combat.

Personally I think it made for better combat scenes, but it did throw physics right out the airlock.
By fonewear 2017-12-23 10:23:36
Link | Citer | R

They real kicker is people at Disney don't care what you think. It is marketed towards young kids that like spaceships and light sabers. Not the people that grew up with Star Wars.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12