Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2017-12-23 12:11:43
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Why?

If you dislike what they've done with the series, that's your prerogative. But how is it "not really Star Wars?"

No George Lucas direct involvement?

George Lucas also directed ep1 if I remember correctly and they said ep1 was the worst SW movie ever made.

So yeah, nothing will make people happy because everyone will forever compare it with the original trilogy with a rose-tinted glasses since no movie can replicate that 1977 magic ever again.
I enjoyed EP.1 more then then 7/8 and 2/3 were amazing. What I don't like about the new series is 3 main characters, kylo is a complete pussbag, finn is about as cornball and pointless as jar jar, and rey is about as interesting as a 2 day old biscuit. Im OK with the story, but those characters are boring and unlikable as ***. Just my opinion though /shrug.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-12-23 13:38:16
Link | Citer | R

I didn't go into this movie expecting the original trilogy. TFA set my expectations pretty low for Disney's star wars.
I went in expecting some kind of investment from disney to both try to please star wars fans and grow the audience.
What I got was uh-oh spaghettios flung at me experience. I walked out of Imax feeling like someone had just punched my childhood in the balls and took a ***on any hope of decent star wars story telling for the future.

***on star wars past - check
destroy any hopes for future star wars stories - check

Its not often that one film can do both those things at the same time!

Even the DCU movies are better than this ***.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Serveur: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2017-12-23 13:52:37
Link | Citer | R

So is this going to be the last stupid movie about the stupid Skywalkers?

I keep hearing that Star Wars doesn't suck, that it's only the few books about Luke that sucked...
 Shiva.Shruiken
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-12-23 15:57:37
Link | Citer | R

Whatever you think about TFA, JJ Abrams ended it on an impactful scene with Rey handing Luke his lightsaber. Rian Johnson started TLJ with Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder off a cliff as if it's a slapstick comedy like Spaceballs.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-23 16:06:58
Link | Citer | R

Spaceballs had better direction and actors.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2017-12-23 16:15:49
Link | Citer | R

Born in the early 80's, I carry no special attachment to the original trilogy. These last two movies were horrid, TFA less so.

I think I'm over the whole star wars hype. It feels like it's becoming harder to wade through today's plethora of entertainment and find good storytellers.

I wish I could get more of a political thriller, space-action movie in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe. Told well... of course.
[+]
By volkom 2017-12-23 20:25:16
Link | Citer | R

something's been on my mind the whole day on how the shields work in star wars.

ep1 - gungan shields ~ strong enough to repel the attack from the droid tanks, but allows drois to walk through. So pretty much absorbs energy based attacks? Also Obi Wan/Quigon vs Darth Maul, the energy fields in that hallway where they were having that duel prevented them from fighting for a little bit.

ep3 - anakin shoots the generator powering the shield on the hanger bay on grievous's ship ~ otherwise they wouldn't be able to board and probably would've crashed if they kept going.

rogue one - x wings crashed on the shield that was protecting scarif and was strong enough to hold up the wreckage.

ep5 - the hoth base's shield strong enough to withstand any bombardment yet ground forces able to get up close to the shield generator and blow it up.

ep6 - the shield generator protecting death star II. lando tells the fleet to break off the attack because the shields are up. Also fighters shot the deflector shield generator on the super star destroyer allowing the a-wing to kamikaze the bridge.

TFA (ep7) - shield has some refresh rate that prevents anything 'slower' than lightspeed from going through at star killer base says han solo when they're in hyperspace.

so..... it seems to me that either you have to go be going lightspeed+ or a snails pace to get through a shield, or just take out the exposed generators.

so yeah. i'm hoping for hyperspace capable missiles on poe's new x-wing in the return of a self taught jedi.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-12-23 20:41:46
Link | Citer | R

This trilogy has blown up the concept of shields, both instances of shield breaking have been bunk.
By emiledge 2017-12-23 21:02:08
Link | Citer | R

I honestly think the writer secretly hates Star Wars and wanted to give a big middle finger to all Star Wars fans
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-12-23 21:06:45
Link | Citer | R

emiledge said: »
I honestly think the writer secretly hates Star Wars and wanted to give a big middle finger to all Star Wars fans

forreal. writer/director Rian Johnson came into this thing like

Valefor.Endoq
Serveur: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2017-12-23 23:15:22
Link | Citer | R

for the sake of my own sanity I just think of each of those shields as a unique shield that has its own properties in of its self lol
 Fenrir.Nitenichi
Serveur: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Nitenichi 2017-12-24 00:50:34
Link | Citer | R

This pretty much sums up everything.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-12-24 08:17:01
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nitenichi said: »

The voice of millions!
I watched that twice. First time for myself. 2nd time I played it for my bandwagon starwars disney fans,younger brothers. I made them watch it or no food would be served.
Thank you!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-24 08:36:03
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nitenichi said: »
Pretty sure I could just show you a picture of Mickey Mouse taking a ***on the Star Wars logo and save you from wasting thirty minutes of your life.
[+]
By volkom 2017-12-24 11:07:12
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-24 12:02:23
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Endoq said: »
for the sake of my own sanity I just think of each of those shields as a unique shield that has its own properties in of its self lol

They probably are unique shields. Each time, someone figures out a work around and destroys the thing. So they keep trying new ideas.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-12-24 15:29:25
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-24 16:08:31
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Shruiken said: »

Replace the Star Trek and this pretty much is how I want Star Wars.

Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-24 16:40:21
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Serveur: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-12-24 18:11:23
Link | Citer | R

VIII was pretty good. Best Star Wars since the OT trilogy.

Actually new plot details and moving the story forward and not just covering story we've known the ending to and then botching it (glares at Lucas) or a remake like TFA.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-24 18:33:57
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
[+]
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2017-12-24 20:00:46
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
Ok cool, just good to know where we stand, this is officially the "We hate TLJ and let's laugh at everyone who enjoyed it" thread.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-24 20:59:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Tydis said: »
this is officially the "We hate TLJ and let's laugh at everyone who enjoyed it"
Good to know we're all on the same page here.

I mean, you don't see me going off about how 'Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda' was the best movie in the trilogy since the original Jaws.
Sure, it's okay if you thought the third Godfather was better than the first; but that doesn't mean you should be a film critic for a living.

Which brings me to my next point:
"You want to be different!"

So, what part of the new trilogy was better than the prequels?

Was it the overall lack of direction, the failure to create interesting characters, the cringe-worthy comic relief, or...
maybe it was the part where they entirely replaced character development with Michael Bay logic?

I'd say the majority of people that are over the age of twelve aren't just pointing out the flaws and hating it for little to no reason.

Hell, I liked a few parts in it. The hyperspace kamikaze scene was fairly well done, if not somewhat predictable. Seeing the "royal guards" actually in action was nice; even if their uniforms were *** up and they should've killed both Kylo and Rey ten times over. We even have Luke milking a pteracuda! I even thought the new rendition of Yoda was better than the original Jim Henson/Frank Oz puppet and digital renditions from the prequels.
That being said, it doesn't make the other 93% of the movie stop sucking balls.

Is it okay to, 'just like it as a movie'? Sure.

But to sit there gargling Disney's *** while raving about 'how great it was' is either to have no understanding of cinematography, just purposely trying to be different, or better yet; maybe you're an IGN employee and you're being paid to say ***like, "Wow! Great movie! The best one yet! 100/10 in my book, guys!"

Is Star Wars the epitome of cinematographic perfection in this world? Of course not. The original trilogy had cheesy stop-motion claymation, and minor film continuity issues - but it was a brilliant success that launched multiple unknown actors into their careers, created a massive fan following, became one of the most iconic trilogies ever created *sucking noises*, so on - so forth. The prequels had Jar Jar, cheesy late 90's digital transposition, some really bad film continuity issues - but it covered the missing questions the fans had about the original trilogy, retained the feeling that you were actually watching Star Wars, and further boosted Natalie Portman's career. (However, it also destroyed Jake Lloyd as an actor and human being.)

TL;DR: Uneducated opinions are wrong opinions.
[+]
By anik 2017-12-24 21:10:29
Link | Citer | R

Can the nerds please stop trying to QUALIFY statements based on undefined QUANTITIES of THE FORCE. It's star wars, if a force assisted turd flies at light speed and impacts the DEATH STAR, then the DEATH STAR will get a new butthole. Because, some writer said the FORCE now works that way. Physics has nothing on THE FORCE! END OF DISCUSSION
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-24 21:11:11
Link | Citer | R

See Full Metal jacket as the use above me is an example of a good movie. Star Wars TLJ is this:

[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-24 21:16:28
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
something's been on my mind the whole day on how the shields work in star wars.

ep1 - gungan shields ~ strong enough to repel the attack from the droid tanks, but allows drois to walk through. So pretty much absorbs energy based attacks? Also Obi Wan/Quigon vs Darth Maul, the energy fields in that hallway where they were having that duel prevented them from fighting for a little bit.

ep3 - anakin shoots the generator powering the shield on the hanger bay on grievous's ship ~ otherwise they wouldn't be able to board and probably would've crashed if they kept going.

rogue one - x wings crashed on the shield that was protecting scarif and was strong enough to hold up the wreckage.

ep5 - the hoth base's shield strong enough to withstand any bombardment yet ground forces able to get up close to the shield generator and blow it up.

ep6 - the shield generator protecting death star II. lando tells the fleet to break off the attack because the shields are up. Also fighters shot the deflector shield generator on the super star destroyer allowing the a-wing to kamikaze the bridge.

TFA (ep7) - shield has some refresh rate that prevents anything 'slower' than lightspeed from going through at star killer base says han solo when they're in hyperspace.

so..... it seems to me that either you have to go be going lightspeed+ or a snails pace to get through a shield, or just take out the exposed generators.

so yeah. i'm hoping for hyperspace capable missiles on poe's new x-wing in the return of a self taught jedi.

Too much thought has been put into this. It's a cheesy soap opera in space. Also Science Fiction. That is a keyword. If it was all based in science you wouldn't have ewoks and all that other ***.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-12-24 21:17:26
Link | Citer | R

This thread is worse than PnR.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-24 21:18:18
Link | Citer | R

Viciouss said: »
This thread is worse than PnR.

Actually some people have good points but just saying "Yay it's Stars Wars yay" Doesn't mean it is good. Or a good opinion.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-24 21:39:15
Link | Citer | R

"The Last Jedi" is to Star Wars as "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" was to Indiana Jones.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12