By clearlyamule 2017-11-01 17:51:07
Link | Citer | R

Psh I just pew pew thru PD. Invincible spam would be much worse most the time
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-11-01 17:57:45
Link | Citer | R

Depends. Invincible helps gives MNK a reason to exist.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Serveur: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-01 18:00:18
Link | Citer | R

If Geo bubble present, mob gains permanent invincible and or dt effect.

if mnk is present mob is weakened -100%

if smn is present mob is strengthed +100$

if blu is present mob gains instant KO effect

balance!
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-11-01 18:27:59
Link | Citer | R

In that case, you would want to bring an alliance of SMNs and a THF. MUG that beautiful $1,700 and logout!
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-01 19:27:23
Link | Citer | R

Tanag said: »
FFXI has always had gimmicks. Not every fight does but if the entire game was just tank and spank mechanics it wouldn't be very fun. I agree they are a plus.

I feel the only "bad" thing about gimmicks is the failure to communicate them. Having unique mechanics in a fight makes a boring slog far more enjoyable, having unique mechanics that you can't figure out makes a fight extremely frustrating. I always that it was dumb that we can to use trial and error to figure things out, which often lead to people just using the simplest strategy that "works" while ignoring the mechanics because their just too annoying / random to deal with.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-01 19:27:49
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
If Geo bubble present, mob gains permanent invincible and or dt effect.

if mnk is present mob is weakened -100%

if smn is present mob is strengthed +100$

if blu is present mob gains instant KO effect

balance!

Other jobs would still be better :P
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-01 19:50:52
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
To tank for the MB setup?
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-01 20:06:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
FFXI has always had gimmicks. Not every fight does but if the entire game was just tank and spank mechanics it wouldn't be very fun. I agree they are a plus.

I feel the only "bad" thing about gimmicks is the failure to communicate them. Having unique mechanics in a fight makes a boring slog far more enjoyable, having unique mechanics that you can't figure out makes a fight extremely frustrating. I always that it was dumb that we can to use trial and error to figure things out, which often lead to people just using the simplest strategy that "works" while ignoring the mechanics because their just too annoying / random to deal with.

True. But I still mildly prefer it to the FFXIV simon says rote memorization 'dance'.

And even though there will always be the tendency to travel down the path of least resistance, at least in the current end game, there are still various paths to the same outcome with different set-ups. I don't think you can dance to a different tune in other MMOs that requires memorizing mob phases.
 Asura.Inuyushi
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2017-11-01 20:30:35
Link | Citer | R

clearlyamule said: »

Formless Strikes
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-01 20:38:24
Link | Citer | R

True. But I still mildly prefer it to the FFXIV simon says rote memorization 'dance'.

And even though there will always be the tendency to travel down the path of least resistance, at least in the current end game, there are still various paths to the same outcome with different set-ups. I don't think you can dance to a different tune in other MMOs that requires memorizing mob phases.

Monster phases and patterns are actual skill, NM dice rolls aren't.

That's been my only real gripe with FFXI, too many mechanics are dice based. The "difficulty" is in stacking your dice with minor nods to mechanics.
By clearlyamule 2017-11-01 21:12:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Inuyushi said: »

Formless Strikes
Naw that can't be it. That wouldn't make mnk useful
 Asura.Cair
VIP
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2017-11-01 21:35:24
Link | Citer | R

MNK is fine, don't listen to cherry's whines
[+]
By Afania 2017-11-01 22:14:09
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Gimmicks with work arounds based on player input are fine. Like, the proc systems for Abyssea were pretty well-loved and popular. Voidwatch less-so, but it was the drop system that was reviled.

Gimmicks like "Repeated use of Perfect Dodge," "Immune to Spell/Job," "Mute/Amnesia/Equipment-Strip" a la Incursion can all die in fires.

I disagree completely, proc systems are horrible and it gives certain job artificial advantage over another just because they proc.

Immune to spell/PD/amnesia/mute gives certain jobs advantage because these jobs has mechanics to counter them. Don't like PD? Bring mage/ranger or thf to steal it. Don't like amnesia? Bring mage, or DD RUN to resist them, or MNK to white dmg it to death, or ranger to get away from it, or stunners to stun them like old incursion pt. Don't like mute? How about using dancers to heal? We get variety of ways to counter these mechanics in ff11 instead of "bring best DD" and that's what makes the game fun.

These kind of mechanics allows creative freedom in setup to counter them, 100x better than "I'm bringing MNK war nin blu blm because I need to proc"

Can disagree, but the only advantage some jobs have is a purely artificial one. It isn't creative freedom. In some cases you are locked into efficiency. In others you are locked into bringing a more diverse set of jobs. It's just how the game is.
THFs can steal a PD once every 45min. That doesn't help in an Ambu fight that should last 5min but lasts 12min because of multiple PDs back-to-back-to-back. It doesn't make the content more difficult. It just makes it longer. I hate those kinds of gimmicks.
Mute and Amnesia are often paired together because locking players out of being able to do anything is often considered "difficulty". In those cases, players may as well not even play. AFK on a job with enough accuracy to hit it. Or RNG, I guess.
Or, as has seems to happen on other servers, just SMN everything to not deal with the B.S.
But gimmicks should be an opportunity for immersion. SP-spam/Mute/Amnesia/Gear-strippage and TP-wipega is the absolute opposite of immersion, imho.

Stealing PD with thf isn't the only way to deal with pd. Several jobs can do ranged attack or recast buffs/debuffs.

As a COR fighting an NM with pd make me feel good to gain an advatage as a DD. Like wise when I DD on RUN against amnesia spamming NM. Otherwise what's the point to bring these jobs? May as well WAR DRK SAM all things. Hell it probably provide an incentive for WAR DRK SAM ranged attack builds to generate a few % dps.

If switching between melee/ranged attack mode on COR, or resist amnesia on RUN, or build status resist sets for amnesia on other job isn't immersion, then idk what is in FFXI. It's basically part of the job and gear set building is part of entire game.

If there are absolutely no way to deal with all of thes moves I'd agree with you that these moves are useless design. But how I see it is that it gives certain job advantages so we have more reasons to bring them. Or it provides incentives to build more gear sets so there are more things to work on.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-11-02 07:10:12
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I think we have completely different expectations of the term immersion.
Planning ahead and constructing a party as a work around of a gimmick isn't the same as being able to actively do something in the moment to counter-act said gimmick.
In your example, if you plan well enough ahead, you no longer have to pay any attention to the gimmick, you just pew pew/resist right through it. I wouldn't call that immersion.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-02 10:34:09
Link | Citer | R

Planning ahead and constructing a party as a work around of a gimmick isn't the same as being able to actively do something in the moment to counter-act said gimmick.
In your example, if you plan well enough ahead, you no longer have to pay any attention to the gimmick, you just pew pew/resist right through it. I wouldn't call that immersion.
Can it be both. Gear goes a long way but 80% of my job on WHM is applying bar spells and anticipating gimmicks to mitigate and heal through them. A lot of times gear + abilities + mitigation spells is what it takes to power through gimmicks. Any one piece isn't enough or ideal.

It's also why i build my whm with a minimum status resist and dt down at all times, even when im curing.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-11-02 10:40:31
Link | Citer | R

Immersion is something that comes built in to the foundation of combat in this game, to me. It doesn't really matter what job you're playing, you can find reasons to have to pay really close attention.

Of course you can also be a mediocre player who just plays by rote, doing the same crap over and over. Spam the CDC, spam the Volt Strike. And you can probably be successful at it. But that doesn't mean you couldn't be doing more, if you were inclined. This game gives a lot of reward for paying active attention to the pace of the battle and adapting accordingly.

That's all the immersion I need, honestly. Beyond that the gimmicks and mechanics, as long as they aren't overly restrictive, are what make one battle different from the next and keep me interested in this game. And I have not found any content in this game to be overly restrictive in the long run.

I think there's a balance to be struck, and I think SE does a fairly good job of striking that balance in FFXI. Better than any other MMO that I've played. And the best part is, they don't do knee-jerk supernerfs like other MMO companies. They change slowly and deliberately, every change carefully planned and implemented. I wish other companies would learn from their example.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-02 10:40:53
Link | Citer | R

Can it be both. Gesr goes a long way but 80% of my job on WHM is applying bar spells and anticipating gimmicks to mitigate and heal through them. A lot of times gear + abilities + mitigation spells is what it takes to power through gimmicks. Any one piece isn't enough or ideal.

It's also why i build my whm with a minimum status resist and dt down at all times, even when im curing.

The moves the NM's do are, outside of very specific situations, random. You can have one run where it's super easy because it never did anything dangerous, and another run where you did the exact same thing and it was super hard because it spammed the dangerous moves. And there is nothing you can do to change that. Conversely having an opponent that does moves based on environment variables or other pattern is far better skill wise.

Most of FFXI is just stacking your dice to be bigger then the enemies dice. The "difficulty" is just how high the stack of dice need to be to "win". This is why you only see two groups of people, those that struggle and those that breeze through content with the differences being access to jobs that stack dice. It's why moves that do full dispels are the second most dangerous type, with first being random OHKOs. Removing all the buffs effectively removes all your stacked dice.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-02 10:42:39
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Pergatory said: »
they don't do knee-jerk supernerfs like other MMO companies.

Oh they used to, they used to be the worst at nerfing things. SE learned their lesson by observing the long-term effects of super-nerfs and eventually settled on a far more moderate correction system.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-02 10:43:56
Link | Citer | R

SMN could use a bit of a knee-jerk supernerf atm, honestly. It's to the point people(see:Kylos, among others) are actively avoiding using it as a strategy because they see it as a meaningless win.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-02 10:49:30
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
SMN could use a bit of a knee-jerk supernerf atm, honestly. It's to the point people(see:Kylos, among others) are actively avoiding using it as a strategy because they see it as a meaningless win.
Im down with this of thry nerf geo and blu too.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-11-02 10:53:55
Link | Citer | R

Oh they used to, they used to be the worst at nerfing things. SE learned their lesson by observing the long-term effects of super-nerfs and eventually settled on a far more moderate correction system.
I disagree. Even back in the RoZ days they rarely over-reacted. I won't say never... but most changes were extremely well-planned and worked. They've always struggled with balancing magic vs. physical, but that's understandable given that physical has always scaled linearly and magic exponentially.

And SMN doesn't need a supernerf, it just needs a Conduit nerf. SMN was an underdog for a good dozen years, please don't encourage them to nerf it back to irrelevance.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-11-02 11:01:09
Link | Citer | R

Conduit nerf doesn't really work.

As Frod as said a dozen times, you can mimic conduit with a cor and super revits.

(apogee bp2 RD apogee bp2 WC apogee bp2 RD apogee bp2 revit RD apogee bp2) the only thing this (may) not work on is Schah.

it needs to be a nerf to gear (bp damage+) or consecutive bps deal less damage.

Old nerfs; Ranger got /destroyed/ completely and totally by the ranger nerf.

/rdm /brd /drk got completely ruined by nerfs to enmity

Modus got nerfed into complete uselessness.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-11-02 11:03:13
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

BLU has already been nerfed into irrelevance by means of not being included on any new melee gear.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-02 11:04:08
Link | Citer | R

They already nerfed focus/lang/attune/vex. They have displayed that if they feel frailty is overpowered they will weaken it on a by-mob basis(see: Master Trials).

BLU isn't overpowered any more, it might be the most flexible DPS but it's got significantly less damage potential and it's being intentionally left off of good gear. They got next to nothing from omen, and if it's still seen as strong that trend is likely to continue. So, BLU is nerfed in a way as well.

Never mind that SMN is the only job allowing you to completely bypass all mechanics on the vast majority of current content. BLU and GEO are good, but they've never been at that level.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-02 11:07:35
Link | Citer | R

idk the rdm nerf was pretty huge, unnecessary and never really worked and really just a kneejerk to a few soloers.

The enmity nerfs were definitely not that well thought out since they had to go back and adjust more stuff. And it only worked if you didn't like a couple more options tanking

The whole abysea thing with pets was extremely not well planned thru. That was a total kneejerk reaction to smns doing cool things so they adjusted that specifically only to have to adjust all pets a couple of months later when bst was doing it too and really smn still could with more difficulty... while not in all this time revisiting the now unnecessary avatar pdt nerf basically nerfing them twice for the same thing
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-02 11:11:30
Link | Citer | R

idk the rdm nerf was pretty huge, unnecessary and never really worked and really just a kneejerk to a few soloers.

The enmity nerfs were definitely not that well thought out since they had to go back and adjust more stuff. And it only worked if you didn't like a couple more options tanking

The whole abysea thing with pets was extremely not well planned thru. That was a total kneejerk reaction to smns doing cool things so they adjusted that specifically only to have to adjust all pets a couple of months later when bst was doing it too and really smn still could with more difficulty... while not in all this time revisiting the now unnecessary avatar pdt nerf basically nerfing them twice for the same thing

They just moved away from mobs that can be graved and kited. In theory they can move content in new directions that will disadvantage some jobs over others without actively using the nerf stick.

I play several jobs considered op over various periods and im still playing. People really need to chillax abput smn. Theres been plenty of cheese tactics before people SMN was actually really powerful post geo bubble nerf and there will continue to be tactics like tgat after. People seem to be only upset because its smn.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-11-02 11:12:50
Link | Citer | R

They get upset because smn is perfect.

it has the safety of ranger, with the speed of zerg.

That's broken.

And an incredibly low barrier to entry.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-02 11:13:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
They get upset because smn is perfect.

it has the safety of ranger, with the speed of zerg.

That's broken
SMN cant tank. The perfect job is blu.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-11-02 11:14:32
Link | Citer | R

It's so broken that it doesn't NEED to tank. (summoner if it wasnt clear)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-02 11:15:16
Link | Citer | R

a smn smn smn geo run cor party capable of killing schah in 30 seconds costs less gil total than 1 decent blu covering all of their sets and requires no meaningful amount of coordination

you are not living in reality, no other job is in extreme demand for high end content with only 1 set and no swaps
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 186 187 188 ... 201 202 203