First Page 2 3 ... 126 127 128 ... 201 202 203
 Odin.Geriond
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-02-01 11:39:23
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Snaps said: »
Would be nice if Minuet was a percentage or added before percentage buffs. In regards to balance I think we'll just need to wait and see because the skill adjustment is going to affect the overall balance. It's impossible to say at this point.
Hmm? Minuets ARE added before percentage buffs.
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-01 12:32:44
Link | Citer | R

Knew it, raising song skill caps is a huge bonus by itself. Then apply the 10% increase per song+ which will become more common. Makes for a really nice buff for BRDs.
 Valefor.Omnys
Serveur: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-01 15:45:40
Link | Citer | R

There is a hilarious potential tragedy about to happen.

The game has inadvertently been balanced around a glitch so we're going to get the buffs that we've been begging for, adjustment/nerfs to GEO and who knows, GEO might become inferior in more than a few situations.

I mean they might achieve reasonable balance between the three buffers, but history implies that they will not.

But oh my gosh, two years from now, things will be great.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
Serveur: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-02-01 15:48:49
Link | Citer | R

Nothing they're doing affects Frailty, and I somehow doubt they're going to make Minuets do 500 per or something, so there's basically 0 chance GEO won't still be very powerful in melee setups.

Plus, the adjustment is really only affecting magic accuracy related spells; even if Frazzle and Threnody will be able to compete with Focus/Languor, RDM and BRD still lack anything that can imitate Acumen/Malaise.
By Bamboom 2017-02-01 15:54:53
Link | Citer | R

Might be time to try out bard. I'm guessing for endgame content bards still have a high entry barrier(horn, harp, aeonic?)?
 Fenrir.Snaps
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-02-01 15:54:54
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Geriond said: »
Would be nice if Minuet was a percentage or added before percentage buffs. In regards to balance I think we'll just need to wait and see because the skill adjustment is going to affect the overall balance. It's impossible to say at this point.

I see. It's been a while since I've actually used Minuet and this stuff isn't documented anywhere. If Minuet gets a significant boost then it might end up being on par with rolls/fury because of this.

The duration of SP songs should weigh into balance as well as Soul Voice songs are much longer than Bolster.

I really hope Honor March doesn't end up getting nerfed.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-01 16:00:27
Link | Citer | R

tier +1 Honor March will likely be weaker than it is today, but once you obtain the new gear I'm pretty confident it will be stronger.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-01 16:00:32
Link | Citer | R

Well GEO will still be a required job because of frailty and malaise. Very few things are able to do what those do.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-02-01 16:02:18
Link | Citer | R

We use vex/attunement a lot in Omen. We'll see how useful they still are after the adjustment.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-01 16:14:08
Link | Citer | R

I don't play GEO, I'm not terribly worried about it anyway but yeah, they've said nothing to indicate that anything is happening to frailty or malaise. I understand that.

I don't know why but I laugh that the game we all love, or love to hate, being balanced around bad math for years just guarantees so many things that have seemed likely for so long.

I mean, if you were a responsive developer and your players were saying "This better is always (well 90% of the time) better than that buffer, by miles", wouldn't you try each fight with both buffers just to see? Just a peek. Having invincibility as an option makes this an easy test for even one guy to multibox.

We all knew that GEO was broken, but we had no way of knowing that it was literally broken.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-02-01 16:24:21
Link | Citer | R

I see. It's been a while since I've actually used Minuet and this stuff isn't documented anywhere. If Minuet gets a significant boost then it might end up being on par with rolls/fury because of this.

The duration of SP songs should weigh into balance as well as Soul Voice songs are much longer than Bolster.

As far as I'm aware all static attack bonuses are applied prior to percentage bonuses.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-02-01 16:40:57
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

As far as I'm aware all static attack bonuses are applied prior to percentage bonuses.

Does attack food fall under this umbrella? I remember thinking it was more beneficial to eat attack food vs accuracy food if your swaps worked out for this reason although I don't remember if this is actually true or not (and food is a percentage buff with a cap.)
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-01 16:48:09
Link | Citer | R

Most food add a % bonus, not static (but with a maximum cap), no?
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-02-01 16:49:56
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Most food add a % bonus, not static (but with a maximum cap), no?

That's what I said, but I remember it being affected by Berserk (although I could just be wrong.)
By Pantafernando 2017-02-02 02:27:34
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Hello, everyone!

Following yesterday's update for enfeebling spells, today I'd like to share the upcoming adjustments to songs in the next version update.

As mentioned previously, we'll be introducing new gear which will include the "All songs +" property.
In addition to this, we'll be adjusting the effect from the "Song +" property.
Specifically, instead of having this property increase different values for different songs, we'll standardize the effect to be a "+10%" increase for the following songs:

Minne / Minuet / Madrigal / Prelude / Mambo / March (including Honor)

We'll also raise the skill and caps on the above songs.
Furthermore, the "Song +" property will now affect "Carol" songs as well.

These changes will increase the performance no matter which skill obi or gear is used.

Once these are implemented, we hope that you try them out with your instruments!
By Pantafernando 2017-02-02 02:31:28
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Announcing the February Version Update

A fair morning, afternoon, or evening to you, adventurers!
Matsui here with the usual version update rundown for February 10.

As you have likely guessed, February will bring with it the standard changes to Ambuscade. As you’ve probably guessed by one of the banners on the front page, one of the Ambuscades pits adventurers against fearsome adamantoises, while the other Ambuscade...well, why spoil the surprise?

We’ve also got some adjustments coming to omen. Players will be able to select which route they would like to take to the third area, including routes that do not have minibosses. This will allow players to more easily obtain job cards, and I hope you’ll pick a style that best suits your adventuring needs.

We’ve also got a couple more-than-minor-but-not-quite-major job adjustments in store. We took a look at balancing for enfeebling magic, songs, and geomancy colures and adjusted effect values where we deemed it appropriate. Coupled with adjustments to monster attributes, these changes should create a more strategic environment in which to use buffs and debuffs.

We’ve also got a special treat in store for the more synthesis-minded among you: synthesis guild-specific equipment known as “Escutcheons!” We’ve implemented the first step in the escutcheon questline, so give it a crack if you’re confident in your synthesizing prowess.

Finally, we’ve got another quest exploring another side of the Sacred City of Adoulin and a handful of alter ego adjustments.

Below is a table of all the goodies we’re planning on cramming into February. As always, some of these items are currently undergoing testing, and there may be some which might get pushed off to later version updates if any sudden issues rear their ugly heads.

Mission and Quest-related
New quest
・Create text
・Create event
Existing quests
・Adjust quest difficulty

Content and System-related
Trust
・Adjust existing alter ego
Auto-translate
・Add new words

Battle-related
Ambuscade
・Add new nortorious monsters
Records of Eminence
・Add new objectives
Omen
・Add new route
・Adjust to certain monsters
Monsters
・Adjust magic evasion
・Adjust overall battle, and magic skill
Red Mage
・Adjust duration of certain spell effects
・Adjust effects of certain spells
Bard
・Adjust effects of certain songs
・Adjust effects of special stats gained from equipment
Geomancer
・Adjust effects of certain Geomancy spells

Item-related
Crafter specific equipment
・Create new items
Ambuscade
・Create new items
New quest
・Create new items
Synthesis
・Add new recipes
・Create new items
Existing Items
・Adjust prices of certain items when sold to an NPC
Porter Moogle
・Add to the list of supported items

UI-related
Add placeholder <recast>
・Create new placeholder
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2017-02-02 03:14:18
Link | Citer | R

I kinda thought at first they were going to adjust monster magic eva and overall skills for another update after they "bugfix" geo spells for feedback and then comes in pages of complaints :p
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-02 03:31:08
Link | Citer | R

Calinar said: »
Geo was(is) VERY OBVIOUSLY broken. Blatantly, in fact.

You'd fight tooth and nail arguing it wasn't. Delusional.

The same thing is going to happen with BLU. Then all these people will be like "oh yeah I knew it was broken." liars.

Probably going to happen to summoner too. Depending on severity of changes, smns will be even more op with the plethora of buffs they've received.

GEO was very obviously more powerful than bard for modern mechanics. It wasn't obviously literally malfunctioning.

SE just made GEO necessary. It wasn't unreasonable to believe that they just forgot about Bard. After all, this is the company that made tanking worthless for years and introduced a tank during that period that was even more usless (at that time).

Or initial iLVL melee weapons not having magic accuracy skill (considering jobs like NIN, DRK, PLD, BLU, RDM) or (unrelated) blue magic additional effects not proc'ing on anything for a long long time.

With iLVL also came a complete obliteration of pet jobs which they didn't remedy for months.

I don't think they're inept or anything, I just don't think they've cared in a long long time.
By Ruaumoko 2017-02-02 05:30:11
Link | Citer | R

Be great to not just see 3-4 GEO in alliances for a change.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-02 05:36:04
Link | Citer | R

What's an alliance?
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-02 05:43:33
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Omnys said: »
I don't think they're inept or anything, I just don't think they've cared in a long long time.

I'm going with the former, they've just been getting a little better.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-02 06:56:01
Link | Citer | R

I've never quite been able to rationalize them being incompetent and FFXI simultaneously having the best jobs of any MMO ever and I'm hardly their biggest fan.

Each buffer, mechanically, has diverse strengths and weaknesses. (COR has awesome buffs, can usually DD well, and has RD. Cor's weakness is cooldown on abilities (not terrible) and not being 100% reliable. BRD can provide a blanket of support, across a several people very well. GEO's buffs are irresistible (which would be fine on its own) but they take effort to maintain, annd sometimes they die.

Both tnnks, and Ninja, are completely different in play but fairly interchangeable. Before a certain cLVL, Sword's compatibility with SCH skillchains almost makes up for not having Rayke/Gambit (though nothing matches Valiance) RUN can use swords, but that's not as fun.

Dancer is by far the most complex and rewarding rogue I've ever played. It would be neat if it was more regularly able to fill a combat healer role.

Yeah the meta is completely broken, and they do absolutely dumb things all the time. It's very confusing.

Some of the jobs are bland too. It's hard for me to feel anything about monk, especially these days when everything hits so fast. WHM, while powerful, is the blandest healer I've ever played (14's SCH and WoW's Disc Priest would be my favorites). Chasing down debuffs on multiple people was never my idea of fun.

Love it or hate it, BLU mage's whole "blank-slate" thing is pretty well designed.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-02 07:02:35
Link | Citer | R

There's an interview with Matsui where he admits he needed to bother his son to help him level in abyssea because he couldn't kill anything. He's terrible at the game...that he's leading. Now, I am pretty confident other members of the team are long time fans of the game and help make some things more reasonable, but I think Matsui and some others leading it are just good with the concepts and what would be neat and cool, and what they think the game should be like, and some of that ***works, and some does not. Which is why we get things that are so hit or miss and the like.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-02 07:08:45
Link | Citer | R

Granted that Matsui's incompetence in the game is a bit too extreme to be justified by what I'm about to say, a large part of what are widely reknown as "Good game designers" suck at playing their own games.

This is to say: you don't have to be the best of the best in the game you're making to be able to be a good game designer and hence make a good game out of it.

But as I said in the premise, Matsui's situation seems a bit too beyond reason to be excused lol
Altough, to be fair, if we want to see the glass half full instead of half empty, despite his reknown lack of knowledge of the game, I think in hindsight he's been a (almost?) better game designer than those before him, if you consider the resources in his hands, and the complete lack of long term plans.
Given these aspects and despite all the plentiful mistakes, I don't think he did such a bad job after all over the last 3+ years?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-02 07:13:30
Link | Citer | R

There's a difference between not being the best, and being absolutely terrible. I imagine almost any Blizzard Dev is alright and can reasonably carry their weight in a standard raid. From the sounds of things Matsui would more likely contribute to a wipe than a clear, lol.

That said, I think he's been a decent game designer. And I think that's because he has spent enough time in the genre to have an idea of what should be in a game. I also think he's the first FFXI designer that really started listening to the players and that's been pretty damn good for QoL over the last few years.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-02 07:15:00
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I was just talking to a guy in private messages about Matsui's comment on needing help in abyssea.

@Sechs, Yep. I have no problem with the idea of developers releasing content that they themselves can't beat, or beat without some advantage. I don't expect them to be world-class players.

I don't expect them to beat everything, but I do wish they could play at a level that's not embarrassing.

When I was playing Wrath of the Lich King (WoW), Blizzard's devs openly admitted to never accomplishing some of the achievements the game demanded. Like 0 deaths for the entire raid on heroic mode (not as easy as you'd think, especially since one fight had eight pvp-style npc enemies (basically of trust-level intelligence) that couldn't be tanked.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-02 07:34:08
Link | Citer | R

Most Blizzard devs, aside a few here and there, kinda suck at playing WoW compared to highend player, but they can play to decent levels no problem and they're more or less pretty knowledgeable on the current status of the game and how people play it.

Matsui is on a COMPLETELY different scale, as we all know lol
At first I thought he was just pretending to be clueless, but oh how hard reality came down on me soon after lol
By Verda 2017-02-02 07:53:49
Link | Citer | R

I'm not really a fan of the SE bashing attitude. They're not perfect but no game company is, and they make a game I grossly enjoy. I've heard suggestions from players about how they'd change the game and more often than not hearing them just makes me glad SE is in charge of the game. Players don't typically make good developers and most of us are pretty biased even when we try to not be. It's really easy to be critical, I think it gets to a fever high a lot around here and is very rarely kept in perspective. Even the welcome back guide on bg-wiki has a lot of this SE bashing going on, saying the devs never listen to players when I see them constantly do so, more so now than in the past but even when RDM was super strong and they tried to reign it in, it was based on players and feedback from the community. Guess soon as people start the game or come back we want to get them on the SE hate train? How does that benefit anyone? I really don't think it's a good thing, here or anywhere else. A lot of times the players are exceedingly slow to catch on to new trends and take months to catch up to balance changes. I think Nightfyre said something similar a while back so I know I'm not the only one noticing this. Frequently I see people disregard tools too the devs even gave to players to win fights. I don't think SE is perfect, just saying the playerbase and community isn't either so judge not lest ye be judged and all that. Frankly, since the day I started posting here the amount of hostile mentality toward SE often exhibited has really bothered me. I think overall they do a pretty good job, and their direction and results are preferable to most the player run suggestions I've heard. They did make a few big mistakes but I mean, game balance is far from easy, and they have the additional difficulty of if they make game balance decisions that negatively effect anything scores of people turn into 5 year olds who had their cookie taken away from them and drop subs so they can't even do what is needed most the time.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-02 08:09:51
Link | Citer | R

I'm not really a big fan of people cheering things on every step either.

I do agree that some of what "we never asked for" is what some people were asking for, and some people can't see that (especially since the [bulk?] of the population speaks a language most of us can't read) but I also agree they have their janitors learning to paint (master trial fights, a new mount each month!) rather than maintaining the building and grounds.

And back to the multi-page sub-discussion: The game was balanced around a couple of glitches for literal years that they would have seen, had they tried one or two of the harder fights with and without a GEO.

When you have things like that, and the director saying he needed help in the easiest content the game has ever had--yeah they earn the crap we give them.

Also, please use the enter key more lol.

---

More: I see threads like "Should I come back?" and tons of welcoming yees (and hey, that's awesome). I'm polite enough to keep my cynical/negative attitude out of the thread, but we all know what's awaiting these people for the forseeable future. Spamming content until they're bigger to spam other content. If they don't have pretty geared friends playing, most of us have some idea how rough it's going to be either because we've been helped or have helped others. I've done both.

Or we've groaned and just ignored the people asking for help. I've also done that.

Edit: I'm taking a break soon (I'll probably still be around ffxiah, and I think my profile header sums it up well "It is not the game I'm tired of, nor the people in it. I need a break from the people behind it."

They ignore so much of what's wrong with the game like how bad bead farming is and how bad Voidwatch is and how annoying Apex is, how enmity in the lower half of the game is broken and how mage enmity is laughably small. If things get interrupted by a charm in a mana-burn on WoC, one flash is usually enough to get him looking at me. I don't even sweat it.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-02-02 08:19:02
Link | Citer | R

It will be interesting to see how much they boost the other buffers/enfeeblers. Would it get to the point where we see the big drawback of Geo being that they can only maintain 2/3 bubbles at a time.

In comparison RDM can throw out a large host of buffs and enfeebles, same for BRD, although more weighted towards the buffs.
First Page 2 3 ... 126 127 128 ... 201 202 203