On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 95 96 97
 Leviathan.Stamos
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2019-05-10 12:15:40
Link | Citer | R

Wut @ one shotted on whm
[+]
By eliroo 2019-05-10 12:17:32
Link | Citer | R

I'm convinced Nyaarun heals the Wave 2 boss in melee.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
Serveur: Asura
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-05-10 12:17:58
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
eliroo said: »
The sacrifice argument is a bit moot. Anyone who thinks a WHM had no situations where Solace Sac was optimal probably never played WHM.

That being said the new Sacrifice seems useless unless the Solace thing is a bug.

Anyone who ever thought there was a good situation for it doesnt understand optimization.

You've been given numerous examples here of when there was a good situation for Sacrifice, though.

It was a situational tool.

I personally never used it all the time, but it was occasionally nice, particularly in older ilvl content where we could always be outside of range. Anyway, it was up to us, using our best judgment, to determine when those occasions were.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 12:20:49
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Banhammer said: »
Sylph.Banhammer said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
That's fair, and maybe in some fights cureskin isn't critical, but to me, it's a nice bonus when healing and I can't foresee a situaiton where cureskin would be less desirable unless the mob is specifically just spammy with amnesia.

I tend to focus on situations involving big groups and lots of coordinated strategies. Currently that's mostly Dynamis D and some Aeonic clears (without SMN).

A typical DD party would be

DD
DD
COR (also a DD)
BRD (maybe a DD)
GEO
WHM

3~5 members of that team are going to be standing less then 5 yalms from the bad guy. The bad guy is usually going to have some very high damage attacks that will hit all 3~5 of those team members. This means Curaga II / III (or Curaga III / IV if no Raetic +1) will be the primary means of healing and Cureskin doesn't work on it.

SE has been giving 25 or 30 yalm attacks to most of their boss's these past few years and almost everything has one attack that this 20 yalms. Max cure range is 20.8 yalms meaning there is a very small spot the healer can stand at and not get hit and frequently this places some party members out of direct cure range (but curaga still hits them). I've seen far too many WHM's flattened by high powered attacks to just assume their safe from everything and anything. In our team it's a requirement that every WHM have a super DT set they can immediately switch into on demand.

No, you just stand in range and curaga the entire party, including yourself. It's trivial to cap DT while maintaining a high level of magic evasion. It's not as dangerous to stand in range as you want to make it seem. Guess what you can do if you're in range anyways?

What do you mean switch into? They should be in it full time most of the run if they're getting Ballads.

Given literally any wave 2 boss will 1 shot a whm outside a DT set, such as curing, thats a no.

You've never been to a wave 2 boss.

I have.
By eliroo 2019-05-10 12:21:38
Link | Citer | R

Interestingly enough though the situations (sans old esuna memes) where Solace Sacrifice was most useful are now situations where Misery Esuna are most useful.

Unless I'm missing a detail Misery Esuna is now old Solace Sac without the punishment and can now cure Amnesia.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 12:22:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sirris said: »
The sacrifice argument is a bit moot. Anyone who thinks a WHM had no situations where Solace Sac was optimal probably never played WHM.

That being said the new Sacrifice seems useless unless the Solace thing is a bug.

Anyone who ever thought there was a good situation for it doesnt understand optimization.

You've been given numerous examples here of when there was a good situation for Sacrifice, though.

It was a situational tool.

I personally never used it all the time, but it was occasionally nice, particularly in older ilvl content where we could always be outside of range. Anyway, it was up to us, using our best judgment, to determine when those occasions were.

It cant be a situational tool when literally every single situation it was worse than not curing the ailments at all. Anything that is worth removing is by far worse on the whm than literally anyone else in the party. Youd be stupid to ever use it.
By eliroo 2019-05-10 12:22:29
Link | Citer | R

I have.

Like you've pulled it? You've seen it? You fought it with some group who doesn't know what elevation is?
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 12:24:24
Link | Citer | R

I have.

Like you've pulled it? You've seen it? You fought it with some group who doesn't know what elevation is?

Given the quotted argument was "stand in range and just curaga yourself" tell me how youre going to both be in range of curaga and out of range at the same time?
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Serveur: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2019-05-10 12:25:00
Link | Citer | R

Interestingly enough though the situations (sans old esuna memes) where Solace Sacrifice was most useful are now situations where Misery Esuna are most useful.

Unless I'm missing a detail Misery Esuna is now old Solace Sac without the punishment and can now cure Amnesia.

Nope, it’s true. Traded Solace Sacrifice for a better version in Misery Esuna and, potentionally, Misery Sacrifice if they fix it. Just missing the old ability to Esuna remove it from everyone else which was a combo you almost never used though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-05-10 12:28:24
Link | Citer | R

It cant be a situational tool when literally every single situation it was worse than not curing the ailments at all. Anything that is worth removing is by far worse on the whm than literally anyone else in the party. Youd be stupid to ever use it.

Blind, Bio, Dia, just about any stat down or attribute down, hp down curse, slow, hp recovery curse, gravity, bind, plague, any sort of DoT.

WHM gets to sit outside AOE largely unthreatened, ballads and AF legs have made MP an afterthought to the point that MP down/plague are irrelevant, they don't eat AOEs so defensive stat downs don't matter, they don't DPS so offensive stat downs don't matter, and MND/VIT are a small enough part of cure equation that they barely matter either. Slow and Elegy matter in some cases, but using sacrifice typically means you're immediately dealing with debuffs, and you can always go up a tier on cures for recast reasons(because MP doesn't matter).

The debuffs WHM does care about are in the minority.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 12:30:26
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

Blind, Bio, Dia, just about any stat down or attribute down, hp down curse, slow, hp recovery curse, gravity, bind, plague, any sort of DoT.

WHM gets to sit outside AOE largely unthreatened, ballads and AF legs have made MP an afterthought to the point that MP down/plague are irrelevant, they don't eat AOEs so defensive stat downs don't matter, they don't DPS so offensive stat downs don't matter, and MND/VIT are a small enough part of cure equation that they barely matter either.

The debuffs WHM does care about are in the minority.

Yes... Yes.... Exactly 0 of those things are things you should ever sacrifice.

Lets reduce the defence on the most important job in the party that is almost a guaranteed wipe if they die. What could go wrong? Its genius.
By eliroo 2019-05-10 12:31:15
Link | Citer | R

For someone who doesn't like meleeing on WHM I'm surprised to see you care about Bio and Blind.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 12:32:46
Link | Citer | R

For someone who doesn't like meleeing on WHM I'm surprised to see you care about Bio and Blind.

Blind is a low prio and you have blindna, youd never sacrifice for it.

Bio is still a dot, and any bio worth removing is a potent as *** bio such as escha sky NMs. Also generally spammed. Erase works just fine for this.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2019-05-10 12:35:15
Link | Citer | R

And if you even remotely serious about WHM. Beyond laziness, why wouldn't you have Yag already? It is one of few game changing tools in the game.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-05-10 12:35:43
Link | Citer | R

Bio gives attack down. Blind reduces accuracy. Both are combined in several dark based TP moves, obviously you eat a minor DoT instead of casting 2 spells. It's obvious you're just trolling, per usual.

On a more relevant note, I didn't see it confirmed anywhere, the multiple debuff part of sacrifice was not moved to Misery, you still only get one. But, you gain a divine caress type resistance for the next use of that status effect in addition to not transferring it.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 12:35:57
Link | Citer | R

Lets reduce the defence on the most important job in the party that is almost a guaranteed wipe if they die. What could go wrong? Its genius.
I think the only explanation for Nyaarun's obliviousness is actually quite simple: He plays with morons who die if he stops healing them for 1 second.

Why else would the WHM dying = almost a guaranteed wipe?

Nyaarun, you need to elevate your company. They're all riding your coattails if this is the world you live in.

Nevermind the question of how you're in such danger of dying all the time because you absorbed a Bio, that's on you. No clue how you pull that off.
[+]
By eliroo 2019-05-10 12:37:53
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
On a more relevant note, I didn't see it confirmed anywhere, the multiple debuff part of sacrifice was not moved to Misery, you still only get one. But, you gain a divine caress type resistance for the next use of that status effect in addition to not transferring it.

Its already been discussed and we were just talking about how that makes it suck now.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-05-10 12:40:23
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
I haven't been able to test it yet, can people confirm solace+sacrifice no longer absorbs 7 debuffs and it's now buffed instead by misery?

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
A couple pages ago someone posted that Solace Sacrifice is just one debuff now. No word on Misery yet.

These were both on the last page, in between Nyaarun's trolling and the people fighting with it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-05-10 12:45:18
Link | Citer | R

I can see some use for new sacrifice (tank eats paralyze, whm resists due to super m.eva, you can both remove the debuff from the tank and get yourself a guaranteed block in the process). Maybe not worth using misery for, but it's a big change and there's certainly going to be some learning curve as far as stance swapping.

Note that you only lose 2 seconds if you idle in solace, misery>cast, and solace>next cast. It's not necessarily going to be best to lock into one stance, there will likely be times where it's worth swapping to misery for a quick Esuna despite mostly running solace.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 12:46:31
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I can definitely see bouncing between stances in the future in some scenarios. It'll take some playing with to really nail down the best practices.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-05-10 12:53:09
Link | Citer | R

Also a way to prevent petrify or silence on the WHM, since you have no way to divine caress yourself on either of those. The buff stacks with divine caress as well.

Some other notes:
-Sacrifice resistance lasts 60 seconds or one use, whichever occurs first.
-If you apply both divine caress and sacrifice for the same debuff, regardless of the order you applied them, sacrifice will be consumed first and will not remove one of the divine caress's remaining charges.
-If you apply both divine caress and sacrifice for different debuffs, they both work independantly.
[+]
 Asura.Iiana
By Asura.Iiana 2019-05-10 12:53:39
Link | Citer | R

Yagrush does not stack with new esuna and that's a bit sad.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Serveur: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2019-05-10 12:56:41
Link | Citer | R

The single greatest tragedy is they didn’t give us Bardarkra/lightra. A man can dream though, a man can dream.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 13:24:54
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Pergatory said: »

I think the only explanation for Nyaarun's obliviousness is actually quite simple: He plays with morons who die if he stops healing them for 1 second.

Why else would the WHM dying = almost a guaranteed wipe?

Nyaarun, you need to elevate your company. They're all riding your coattails if this is the world you live in.

Nevermind the question of how you're in such danger of dying all the time because you absorbed a Bio, that's on you. No clue how you pull that off.

Whm death = near guaranteed wipe. Whm got hit before, will likely get hit again, and its not like the whm can just sit outside 20 yalms for safety. Whm doesnt exactly have a +hp DT set like a tank does, so youre now in threat of death spam on AoEs.

Tank dies, you can arise and their DT set has enough HP that their HP pool is still likely the highest in the party.

DD dies, its a DD. Not a big loss. Youve got more, and the tank can hold the 3 mins for weakeness.
By eliroo 2019-05-10 13:32:36
Link | Citer | R

Unless the AoE is at the 25'+ range then a smart tank can position themselves to allow the whm to heal and also be outside of 20' up to like 23'. Cast range is ~21' iirc.

Its a strat we do on Omen all the time.

WHM can die a lot and the run is still fine.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2019-05-10 13:36:54
Link | Citer | R

WHM is one of the most sturdiest jobs in the game. Why are you dying? What kind of weird idle are you in?
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 13:49:33
Link | Citer | R

its not like the whm can just sit outside 20 yalms for safety.
Why not? I'm almost always 20 yalms away from the enemy when I'm on WHM. If there's a DD standing behind it or something, I use Curagas & Yagrush to heal them rather than moving inside the 20 yalm AOE range. I'll sometimes straight up tell them "Hey XYZ, you're outside Cure range."

It's not your job to put your life in danger just so they can stand wherever they want. It's the WHM's job to know where they can and can't stand. If you're in a fight where standing inside 20 yalms puts you at risk of dying to AOE, then don't stand inside 20 yalms! If the tank is standing where you can't heal them from outside 20 yalms, then ask them to move! Again, it's not rocket science.

You keep saying WHM is in so much danger all the time, but if played correctly, it really shouldn't be.

Whm doesnt exactly have a +hp DT set like a tank does, so youre now in threat of death spam on AoEs.
WHM has fantastic DT options, I don't know what you're on about here. Inyanga+2 set has amazing magic evasion for surviving magic attacks and resisting ailments. This is my most commonly used idle set, only has about 8 or 9 refresh but I find that's enough. I've never died to Mijin in Dyna[D] on WHM. Not one single time, and I've cleared wave 3 in all 4 zones using all strats (melee, ranged, manaburn).

It's not hard to cap PDT, either. Don't need HP+ at tank levels, I have some 2100 HP in idle, which if you include Stoneskin (which should ALWAYS be up) is near tank levels of HP. Plenty high to not be in danger, in fact I feel safer on WHM than I do on RUN. My WHM is damn near unkillable!

But again, none of this should be necessary most of the time because you should not be getting hit by AOE with less than 25-30 yalm range. If you are, you're probably doing something wrong. (I say "probably" because sometimes you do need to stand closer, but it's extremely rare.)

Tank dies, you can arise and their DT set has enough HP that their HP pool is still likely the highest in the party.
And yet, they have to start over building enmity from scratch, and rebuff themselves so they don't get stomped as soon as they pull hate back. How long does that take? Meanwhile, the enemy is smashing on people who aren't supposed to be tanking (like the WHM!).

Contrast that to the WHM dying. What happens? Does the mob go wild and start attacking people besides the tank? No, the supports just need to do basic curing on the tank while the WHM gets up, Light Arts, Solace, casts Reraise, and bam. You're back in business like nothing ever happened.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 13:51:57
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
WHM is one of the most sturdiest jobs in the game. Why are you dying? What kind of weird idle are you in?

Whm is only sturdy to magic damage, not phys. You can swap to pdt, but youre losing refresh idles.

Youre also not sturdy midcast.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 13:56:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Pergatory said: »
its not like the whm can just sit outside 20 yalms for safety.
Why not? I'm almost always 20 yalms away from the enemy when I'm on WHM. If there's a DD standing behind it or something, I use Curagas & Yagrush to heal them rather than moving inside the 20 yalm AOE range. I'll sometimes straight up tell them "Hey XYZ, you're outside Cure range."

It's not your job to put your life in danger just so they can stand wherever they want. It's the WHM's job to know where they can and can't stand. If you're in a fight where standing inside 20 yalms puts you at risk of dying to AOE, then don't stand inside 20 yalms! If the tank is standing where you can't heal them from outside 20 yalms, then ask them to move! Again, it's not rocket science.

You keep saying WHM is in so much danger all the time, but if played correctly, it really shouldn't be.

Whm doesnt exactly have a +hp DT set like a tank does, so youre now in threat of death spam on AoEs.
WHM has fantastic DT options, I don't know what you're on about here. Inyanga+2 set has amazing magic evasion for surviving magic attacks and resisting ailments. This is my most commonly used idle set, only has about 8 or 9 refresh but I find that's enough. I've never died to Mijin in Dyna[D] on WHM. Not one single time, and I've cleared wave 3 in all 4 zones using all strats (melee, ranged, manaburn).

It's not hard to cap PDT, either. Don't need HP+ at tank levels, I have some 2100 HP in idle, which if you include Stoneskin (which should ALWAYS be up) is near tank levels of HP. Plenty high to not be in danger, in fact I feel safer on WHM than I do on RUN. My WHM is damn near unkillable!

But again, none of this should be necessary most of the time because you should not be getting hit by AOE with less than 25-30 yalm range. If you are, you're probably doing something wrong. (I say "probably" because sometimes you do need to stand closer, but it's extremely rare.)

And yet, they have to start over building enmity from scratch, and rebuff themselves so they don't get stomped as soon as they pull hate back. How long does that take? Meanwhile, the enemy is smashing on people who aren't supposed to be tanking (like the WHM!).

Contrast that to the WHM dying. What happens? Does the mob go wild and start attacking people besides the tank? No, the supports just need to do basic curing on the tank while the WHM gets up, Light Arts, Solace, casts Reraise, and bam. You're back in business like nothing ever happened.

Clearly youre incapable of reading.

Whm DOES NOT have a + HP DT set. +HP. Your DT doesnt matter while weakened, given most anything will 1 hit you through DT because weakness reduces HP significantly.

Doesnt take much for the tank to regain enmity control. Takes all of 5 seconds. So hard to cast 3 spells and a few JA. Toss a p/s 5 and theyre good. So hard.
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 95 96 97