Bushido - The Way Of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0
Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0
First Page 2 3 ... 149 150 151 ... 154 155 156
 Ragnarok.Primex
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Primex 2023-06-13 13:58:20
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Tatenashi doesn't drop from Shinryu? Not sure what you meant there °-°
sorry memory fail. Hachiryu. It had Ryu somewhere in there. Hadoken. another memory fail.. why do I remember Hachiryu haidate coming from PW and not sara? I'm getting really old.

Multiattack takes priority over Hassanshin procs,
this I did not know. As a drk/mnk/war my knowledge of Zanshin is limited to how bad it was back in the day when they first released it and hasso/seigan changes to sam.
thanks
Hassanshin might appearently look similar to a weaker doubleattack that only procs in base attack and not WS, as such you might get the idea that's it's weaker than QA, TA or even DA.
But thanks to Ikishoten Merits, every Hassanshin attack generates a huge amount of TP compared to normal attacks and multiattack, and this is what makes them so incredibly attractive.
great explainer, thank you.
All the muscle memory of stacking QA/TA/DA is actually detrimental? getting educated as this is so counterintuitive for me.
Dodik said: »
Glass canon doesn't work anymore, not with the amount of dmg mobs put out.
I need to watch some videos of this kind of thing. I'm still stuck in pre-dynamis divergence lol 2017. Haven't seen any of the new content or meta. Kinda picked up on it consuming bits and peices here and there on meva and how people actually now talk about status ailment resist sets.
guess I'll be investing in empy+3. Is empy+2 slightly less viable and usable end game or is it also going to make me an mp sponge?
 Asura.Sechs
Serveur: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-06-13 14:28:42
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Primex said: »
sorry memory fail. Hachiryu. It had Ryu somewhere in there. Hadoken. another memory fail.. why do I remember Hachiryu haidate coming from PW and not sara? I'm getting really old.
Hachiryu is the name of the old level 75 set (dropping from the 3 ToAU HNMs and PW)
Tatenashi is the name of the ilevel version, dropping from the ilevel (UNM) of those 4 NMs.
I think you got the name right, you were confused just about the source of the drops, I guess?

Ragnarok.Primex said:
this I did not know. As a drk/mnk/war my knowledge of Zanshin is limited to how bad it was back in the day when they first released it and hasso/seigan changes to sam.
Ignore "normal" Zanshin, which is a double attack that happens when you miss. It's basically useless.
SAM main job, when Hasso is active, transforms Zansihin+X% into a "Hassanshin"+Y%, that's the name most people give to it.
It means that it can make Zanshin proc even when you don't miss, when Hasso is up.
Zanshin attacks confer an insanely high amount of TP, thanks to Ikishoten Group #2 merits.
So basically this means that the "double attacks" happening from Hassanshin, will give you huge amounts of TP per hit, making them extremely valuable.

Again, this applies to SAM main only.
The priority of multiattacks has always been there. The game checks for different multiattack (quad attack, triple, double etc) in a specific order. Which means that if something that is checked for earlier happens, then what would be checked after that won't be checked at all, i.e. it will not happen.
Zanshin/Hassanshin is pretty much one of the last things that gets checked.
This means that if you have a lot of, say, triple attack, that reduces the chance for Zanshin to happen.

Quote:
All the muscle memory of stacking QA/TA/DA is actually detrimental?
It's not necessarily detrimental, it just produces the effect of slightly reducing the chance of Hassanshin to happen.
That's why if you intend to build a TP set focusing on Hassanshin, you pretty much want to avoid any other form of multiattack.

As I mentioned before, "hybrid" builds that mix up Hassanshin and multiattack can still be pretty good, just inferior to a full Zanshin build but this doesn't make them "***".
It's a scale of greys you know, not black or white.
Plus if you're a returning player to SAM it's gonna take you a while to gather all the Hassanshin gear, which implies you pretty much have to start from somewhere else as you eventually aim towards that goal.

Quote:
I need to watch some videos of this kind of thing.
While I GREATLY support the approach Dodik mentioned, I think he might be a bit exxagerating.

I mean, it sorta depends what kind of content you intend to do and with which setup.
For the majority of content that's not Odyssey you're pretty much fine with the old approach of Glass-Cannon TP set, but in this scenario you gotta have quick reflexes and a fast way to swap into full-DT set when need be.
If like that style, which has been meta in FFXI for quite many years, it still works in the majority of content. Just not in the hardest ones of course.

Personally I sorta dislike glass-cannon builds, but that's more related to my personal preference than a complete unviability of that approach.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-06-13 14:40:18
Link | Citer | R

I think you got the name right, you were confused just about the source of the drops, I guess?
i got the name wrong lol. the hachiryu and taten set share same graphics. In my head I remembered hachiryu as shinryu. forgot about current shinryu set, or shinryu fight. never mind, in my head there's a lot of dust. I'll spare you lol
By Dodik 2023-06-14 07:15:14
Link | Citer | R

I think he might be a bit exxagerating.

I am exaggerating, but not by a lot :)

Having said that, my comments were referring to current content, Sheol, sortie. For Sheol C farms which are considered trash mobs, not even including Agon mobs, I would 100% die many times over without 3 pieces of Empy in to set. Regularly go into red with those, though I end pulling half groups a lot of the time. Sheol bosses you want capped pdt at all times regardless.

In older content, ambu, escha, it might not matter as much but that content dies so quickly to make the extra dps from using less defensive tp gear irrelevant. I'd rather be able to go all out and not worry about dmg taken.

One of my biggest issues with Sam before Empy upgrades was pulling hate too much and taking a lot of dmg. Somewhat playstyle as well as personal preference based that I do not have a glass canon set.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-06-14 07:53:46
Link | Citer | R

Wait, I thought we were calling it Zanhasso... now it's Hassinshin?

That's just out right.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-06-14 08:02:05
Link | Citer | R

Ignore "normal" Zanshin, which is a double attack that happens when you miss. It's basically useless.

Its not useless at all. Gkt is capped at 95% hit rate. With 99% zanshin in my build, that 5% miss will almost always result with zanshin swing. Its a very nice thing on top of having Zanshin proc from Hasso.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-06-19 14:57:01
Link | Citer | R

Glass canon doesn't work anymore, not with the amount of dmg mobs put out.

And to be clear, nobody is suggesting a full-on glass cannon SET, just a couple of more glass cannon leaning PIECES for hands/feet slots. Kasuga +3 head/body/legs plus PDT- augment on JSE cape is DT-35% & PDT-10% (i.e., PDT-45% and capped MDT with Shell). Already a set that is arguably worthy of being called a "hybrid".

The significant difference for hands/feet slots is that Tatenashi and Ryou pieces also have mediocre Meva and DEF, so if you're concerned about that being a risk (most notably on stuff with potent magical damage or enfeebles), you can swap into an even more defensive set without a huge hit to DPS. Just swap hands and/or feet to something like Nyame for DT-/Meva/DEF, or even Mpaca (cap PDT-, still mediocre Meva, but good def and MDB and strong offensive stats, and the Killer effect+2 has some defensive benefit too).

Or you could mix and match and swap just ONE of hands/feet to a more defensive piece. Don't want to give up the Zanhasso stats on Ryuo feet? OK, just swap in Nyame hands and you're capped PDT-, higher Meva than your default TP set, and you're still not giving up the Zanhasso stats. That's a super beefy defensive set, even without feet going full turtle. Or if you're fighting something that hits hard but it's all physical, maybe Mpaca hands to cap PDT- is enough for you.

Feet are the most interesting SAM TP piece due to so many options:
- If you want to focus on Zanhasso (with minimal Acc), Ryuo+1
- If you need more Acc you can go Kasuga +3 (also with PDL) or Tatenashi +1 (TA/STP)
- If you want max defense, Nyame
- If you want PDT-6% more than your default TP set, but with solid offensive stats and some additional defensive perks over your default set, Mpaca is a viable option

Quote:
Ryuo feet

Here's a question I have... how much worse is path D (STR+12 Atk+25 Crit rate+4%) than path C (HP+65 STP+5 SB+8)?

I have one pair of Ryuo +1 feet, and they're currently path D - which I also use as BiS gear for Stringing Pummel on my Kenkonken PUP. While STP might be preferable for SAM TP, those augments are still beneficial, especially when not capped atk (and if I knew I was capped, I might be tempted to go for Kasuga feet for SAM). But has anyone broken down how close they actually are?

Of course I could just get a second Ryuo+1 for C path, and it's not that expensive. But it's a little annoying to have to lug the extra inventory for what feels like a rather minor gain.

Or, I could keep just the one Ryuo+1 and swap it to C path, and use the somewhat worse Mpaca feet for Stringing Pummel (less STR than Ryuo D, 1 less crit rate, a little less Atk until I get around to augmenting Mpaca feet). Maybe I'll just do that, but trying to figure out how much I think it's worth doing that, based on how much I stand to gain on SAM by swapping paths.
By Hopalong 2023-06-20 22:41:49
Link | Citer | R

Good question, I like path C for the hp, store tp, and the subtle blow.
 Ragnarok.Primex
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Primex 2023-07-01 03:18:05
Link | Citer | R

So I got my sam decently geared. Nothing special, but not "gimp".
I've been testing out my other jobs on what was endsh-game content when I quit in 2017.
Mainly VD AA Galka, Hume and Ev, Ambuscade and some 128+UNM. Practiced with PLD, MNK, WAR, DRK, RDM and BLU first.
Just to make sure my lua's are working, my macros suit my muscle memory, and to just feel comfortable soloing things entirely, or/and with trusts and with alts.

Then I started testing out SAM, yesterday, without a lua.
It was 1 - 2 - 3 shotting everything. I obliterated AA Ev in 1 minute 48 seconds. Only thing I couldn't do was Ambuscade VD and that's probably because I don't have a lua.

this job is broken AF
[+]
 Asura.Diluted
user: Crumpet
By Asura.Diluted 2023-07-04 19:17:25
Link | Citer | R

I'm coming towards the end of Voracious Resurgence now (thank god), and will be able to choose a ring tomorrow after a Sortie run. Any standout ones for SAM? I already have Epa, Sroda, Regal, And Karieyh available for WS so not sure if any of them will be of a huge upgrade? Was considering Cornelia's if anything.

If not I also play WAR, RDM, GEO so if any suggestions for ones which I can get the most use out of overall would be appreciated!
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2023-07-05 00:45:44
Link | Citer | R

If you happen to use Hybrids a lot, Cornelia probably is the ring granting you the best upgrade in terms of DPS increase.

Otherwise Ephramad is gonna be good for situations where you can benefit of PDL.

Those two are the most standing out rings for SAM in my humble opinion.
By Blazed1979 2023-07-05 08:52:47
Link | Citer | R

On fodder and mid-tier content, for most jobs(SAM isnt included), stacking QA/TA in a lot of slots and maintaining haste cap with Lehko's.
Is it superior to other choices? I don't know. But its making things interesting.
 Asura.Chendar
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2023-07-06 12:21:13
Link | Citer | R

For SAM specifically I'd rate Ephramad's Ring pretty high. Considering GKT has a lower pDIF cap than the other 2 handers and SAM doesn't have access to as many good PDL options as certain other jobs (no gleti/sakpata and no pdl on JSE earring). Worst case when none of the extra pdl applies it's basically just an extra regal ring, which is already decent enough.

Like Sechs pointed out Cornelia's is probably better for hybrids specfically, depends what you value more I guess. You can only 99k so hard though :P

SAM doesn't usually run into issues with haste in sets afaik, and you usually already have a ton of STP so not sure I'd rate Lehko's super high for SAM specifically.
[+]
By K123 2023-07-25 09:31:00
Link | Citer | R

I see some luas around that drop Moonshade earring when TP=3000 but I want my lua to drop Mpaca head for Nyame at TP>2600 (cus it's likely another hit will land before ws most the time) and both Mpaca head and Moonshade at TP>2500

How can I code this into lua?
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-07-25 09:34:05
Link | Citer | R

K123 said: »
I see some luas around that drop Moonshade earring when TP=3000 but I want my lua to drop Mpaca head for Nyame at TP>2600 (cus it's likely another hit will land before ws most the time) and both Mpaca head and Moonshade at TP>2500

Depends on who's Lua you are using to start
By K123 2023-07-25 10:22:20
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »

Depends on who's Lua you are using to start
Using Arislan as a base, but thinking about switching everything to Sellendrine (but can't find their github anymore?)
By dontclickme 2023-07-25 10:24:39
Link | Citer | R

Assuming MOTE's or some derivation.

Throw this:
Code
if spell.type == 'WeaponSkill' then
  if player.tp >= 2600 then
    equip{head={ name="Nyame Helm", augments={'Path: B',}},}
  end
end

into this function:
Code
function job_post_precast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)

You can add other adjustments following the same format.
[+]
 Odin.Bangla
Serveur: Odin
user: Ceal
By Odin.Bangla 2023-07-25 10:24:50
Link | Citer | R

https://github.com/Headtatt/Gearswap
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2023-07-26 02:40:10
Link | Citer | R

There's a plethora of different ways you can do this, I can teach you a very simple a straightforward one, but according to which Lua you're using (for instance if you're using Mote's...), it might not work.

First of all some premises so you can understand what's going on.

Let's check the "precast" basic function of Lua. This is used to swap gear for precasting spells, and for JAs and WS.
A simple precast will be something like a single big, chained if-then-else, checking for conditions and equipping sets accordingly. For example something like:

It's just a simplified example of course.
This if-then-else cycle checks for various conditions, if he finds a condition that is "true" then it executes the related list of commands and exits the if-then-else cycle.
Then, at the end of the function and not at the end of the cycle, Gearswap will inject an equip packet to the game. Emphasis on this. The equip command is injected only at the end of the function, not at the end of the cycle.

And this is the key of the method I'm about to suggest. Because even if you create multiple if-then-else in the function (I mean multiple, separated ones, not a single one with multiple conditions/checks) then you can modify a preliminary equipset that is about to be injected, before it gets injected.
Check this

Now let's see what's gonna happen with this function under various scenarios.
Let's say you use Tachi: Fudo.
The if then else will see that WS['Tachi: Fudo'] condition is "true" and as such will execute the related command which is "equip(sets.precast.WS['Tachi: Fudo'])" and then exits the cycle (which means following conditions in the same cycle, will not be checked for).
At this point your regular set, with moonshade and Mpaca head, will be selected for preliminary equipment.
The /equip command won't be injected yet because we're not at the end of the precast function.

There's another cycle at this point.
This second cycle checks first if the WS used is one of the WS that benefits a lot from TP bonus. If that's true, then it delves further in and checks if your current TP is higher than TPthreshold1 or TPthreshold2, in my case these are set to 2250 and 2450 TP if I'm not wrong.
These two sets are "empty" sets with just earring or ear+helm gear defined in them.
One is used to put a different option to replace Moonshade, the other to replace both moonshade and Mpaca.

These two sets will be "merged" with the preliminary set that was prepared in the previous if-then-else and previous relevant slots will be overwritten.
Then we reach the end of the Precast function, and at that point the equipment we prepared will be injected into a packet and equipped for the relevant action about to be performed.

That's it!
This long explanation to let you understand that multiple equip commands won't be sent to the game but just once, at the end of the function, regardless of how many times you potentially modify the "preliminary" equipment about to be sent.
[+]
By Gasho 2023-08-10 21:58:32
Link | Citer | R

what is the best TP set if I didnt care about the DT from empyrean +3? Tatenashi wins? ty
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-08-10 22:13:20
Link | Citer | R

Still going to be likely 3 pieces of Empy (Head/Body/Legs, Tatenashi hands, Ryuo +1 feet)
[+]
By Hopalong 2023-08-11 22:29:36
Link | Citer | R

I personally chose to upgrade Kasuga Kabuto to +3 after body and legs for an across the board solid choice for tp head slot.

Ignoring defense considerations its hard to discount Flamma Zuchetto +2 with its Acc +44, Triple Attack +5, and Store TP +6.

Not to mention a crit hit build with Masa, Blistering Sallet and Lehko's ring might be good.

I like Wakido Kote +3 in solo situations also.

Lot's of options, it's good to be a Sam in this end game.
VIP
By Lili 2023-08-12 00:06:15
Link | Citer | R

Hassanshin

I feel like Zanhasso is a much better term than "*** and Shins", but I don't play SAM.
[+]
By Taint 2023-08-12 07:50:58
Link | Citer | R

Flamma head is solid when you don’t need the Def stats.

Lehko ring is meh at best on SAM. The job already vomits haste and stp. White damage is such a small % of over DPS that crits don’t matter.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [37 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-09-18 16:09:37
Link | Citer | R

Hybrid WS questions. Assuming access to both R15 Masa and R15 Doji and solid WS sets (i.e., Nyame B R20+, Empy +3, all relevant accessories including Orpheus's Sash):

1) In what practical situations are you actually using hybrids? ML parties only? Is it even really the best choice for that situation?

While I can get good damage out of hybrids on mobs that don't resist, I just don't tend to find them actually outperforming Masa/Fudo for stuff like Segment farming. And not just the raw WS damage, I think people also often forget to consider Masa's far better white damage over Doji due to Empy AM.

2) Jinpu gets all the hype, but are you ever finding good practical uses for Goten/Kagero/Koki?

3) Is there a good chart anywhere of Sheol mob family weaknesses that includes all of the SAM hybrid options? I've seen the NIN ones posted, but not SAM.

4) If I was ever doing something lowman with just me on SAM + one other player for buffs that can be either BRD (all REMA), COR (Phantom Roll+8), or GEO (Idris) + 4 trusts... what would you think is the optimal party composition to maximize damage from hybrids?
 Shiva.Humpo
Serveur: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2023-09-18 16:41:52
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
1) In what practical situations are you actually using hybrids? ML parties only? Is it even really the best choice for that situation?

Dyna-D, specially the w3 boss, its absurdly broken.
I also tested it in sortie recently, and found it worked fantastic on plenty of things. Mainly on sub bosses and trash. Use with extreme caution on bosses.

Quote:
2) Jinpu gets all the hype, but are you ever finding good practical uses for Goten/Kagero/Koki?
I've come across a few things resistant to wind, but typically its jinpu jinpu jinpu.

Quote:
3) Is there a good chart anywhere of Sheol mob family weaknesses that includes all of the SAM hybrid options? I've seen the NIN ones posted, but not SAM.
There is actually an addon called "sheol helper" that shows you the current segments along with % resist of each mob for both their physical resists as well as magical. It's somewhere here on the forums but i'm sure google can find it.
It won't tell you the specific weaponskills to use, but it will at least tell you if its 50% slashing resist but takes 125% from piercing. Same for magics.

Quote:
4) If I was ever doing something lowman with just me on SAM + one other player for buffs that can be either BRD (all REMA), COR (Phantom Roll+8), or GEO (Idris) + 4 trusts... what would you think is the optimal party composition to maximize damage from hybrids?
Depends on the content. I'd certainly opt for BRD or COR since they can DPS while geo is a bit sub-part in that department.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-09-18 17:16:26
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Humpo said: »
Depends on the content. I'd certainly opt for BRD or COR since they can DPS while geo is a bit sub-part in that department.

Appreciate the reply. Specific to this last one, that's certainly a valid point if considering the BRD COR GEO being played by someone who's doing damage.

For my particular situation, the alt is generally going to be for buffs only because I'm actually manually controlling both characters (no auto WS add-ons, bot scripts, or similar for the alt). I might occasionally like, engage on my BRD and toss out some WS occasionally, but I'm mainly focused on playing the SAM after I get buffs up.

So what I think I'm really asking is, JUST considering the SAM's DPS and not the impact on the rest of the party, what buffs/trusts would be ideal?

I'm thinking something along the lines of:
SAM (me)
COR (me, PR+8, using Samurai + Crooked Wizard's Rolls)
Qultada (who should use Chaos/Fighter's as defaults)
King of Hearts (fast Dia III, keeps me hasted)
Joachim or Ulmia (for March x1 to cap haste)
Yoran-Oran

And if I had to drop one trust to like... add Monberaux for more healing/status removal, use both BRDs to ensure at least one of them is using Marches - the one to drop is prob Qultada.

IDK, maybe easier to just do player BRD and the typical March x2 Minuet x2, but lose out on any magical buffs and Samurai Roll...

And really at the end of the day, probably easier still to go with BRD and just... use Masa/Fudo. But I was thinking more just for the sake of messing with maximizing hybrid potential in a party with some trusts.
By Dodik 2023-09-18 19:33:04
Link | Citer | R

For alts a Geo will add more dmg especially if idris, however, in some content brd/cor will do better eg in Sheol A/B/C.

For NMs and anything not nerfed Geo will add more. Can cap haste with indi haste + any haste from a trust and also cap attack with geo frailty.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-09-18 19:48:12
Link | Citer | R

For NMs and anything not nerfed Geo will add more. Can cap haste with indi haste + any haste from a trust and also cap attack with geo frailty.

Good points. And with GEO you can also get a bit of a boost by having Entrusted Indi-Acumen on SAM about half of the time.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-09-18 20:20:18
Link | Citer | R

You would entrust Haste and do Frailty/Malaise, then switch to haste/frailty or haste/malaise when Entrust is down. If you want to trust the ***BRD AI to keep march on you fulltime then you could consider Acumen or Focus/Languor.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 149 150 151 ... 154 155 156