Absorb Question
 Valefor.Tiniky
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-14 10:45:18
Link | Citer | R

Hello Dark Knights!

I was wondering something.. When I fight Delve bosses, I tend to notice the Dark Knights in my group using Absorb-STR. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but... Wouldn't Absorb-VIT or Absorb-AGI be better? Then everyone in your group would hit harder or hit more often with more crits.

Once again, please, correct me if I am wrong.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-06-15 08:10:36
Link | Citer | R

absorb-str = selfish str boost
absorb-vit = bring down the vit so everyone does more dmg
absorb-dex/acc = selfish acc boost
absorb-agi = slightly lower its evasion
absorb-int/mnd = helps nukes resist less, enfeebles stick and last longer, and slightly help you in the inverse

honestly the only absorbs ive really used in delve content are absorb-acc mnd and int (helps silence stick/duration on eft in morimar) after that i dont think it really makes that big a difference unless youre using mythic and absorbing 60+ of each stat
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-15 13:10:26
Link | Citer | R

STR lets you put out more damage on Resolution. The fSTR bonus from -VIT wouldn't be that great considering how much STR people are already packing. If you got a good set the +acc from reducing AGI might be helpful.
By Ophannus 2013-06-15 13:17:24
Link | Citer | R

Is Absorb TP worthwhile? I never read any testing on AF3+2 hands that enhance Absorb TP effect. Is the 1.5ish cast time after a WS and the 2s job delay worth losing 2-3 hits of TP if you can potentially get back 80%+, or at least use it when you're at 50% and try to get enough TP from the spell to WS again? I know probably not on megabosses or NMs, but what about on fodder delve mobs?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-15 13:23:46
Link | Citer | R

Aborb-TP is hit / miss. Once your riding high on LR and haste buffs the cast time ends up netting you the same results as if you had just hit the thing a few more times. On occasional I can time it to absorb right after I WS but before the monster has had a chance to use it's own TP.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-15 13:36:39
Link | Citer | R

Actually gonna highjack the thread a bit from the OP.

What do people have for absorb-stat sets? I only see two pieces specifically for it, so figure the rest as +skill for accuracy?
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-06-15 13:43:40
Link | Citer | R

Ophannus said: »
Is Absorb TP worthwhile? I never read any testing on AF3+2 hands that enhance Absorb TP effect. Is the 1.5ish cast time after a WS and the 2s job delay worth losing 2-3 hits of TP if you can potentially get back 80%+, or at least use it when you're at 50% and try to get enough TP from the spell to WS again? I know probably not on megabosses or NMs, but what about on fodder delve mobs?
theres no "hit or miss" it has the potential to be resisted if you dont cap your skill but with af3 hands and basic dark magic gear it shouldnt be much of a problem, it comes down to understanding how tp is collected on the mob, once you get used to when the mob will use a tp move (also useful for when trying to stun) you'll know when you can get the most out of it. absorb-tp can be like a free wing during zergs due to you being able to take the tp an entire alliance has caused a mob to build up

long story short, absorb-tp is awsome and also another absorb i use, but its grouped different than the other absorbs

edit for context: back at 75 i spent a few hours learning how much tp i gave the mob with perdu sickle so i could time a meditate > ws > absorb-tp > ws to make compression and mb drain II

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Actually gonna highjack the thread a bit from the OP.

What do people have for absorb-stat sets? I only see two pieces specifically for it, so figure the rest as +skill for accuracy?

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/12391/what-does-your-dark-magic-gear-set-look-like/

not much has changed

my listed set is different now but the idea is the same for absorbs throughout the thread
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-15 14:33:19
Link | Citer | R

Absorb-TP is terrible unless you're trying to play defensively for whatever reason

Swinging gives you virtually the same TP in the same window, with the added bonus of actually dealing damage in the process
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-15 14:36:32
Link | Citer | R

I always use Absorb-CHR.
It doesn't help me in any way, but brings a great shock value to the fight, making people wondering if I know a secret benefit of it that they don't.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-15 14:59:00
Link | Citer | R

Only acceptable answer
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-15 15:58:55
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
theres no "hit or miss" it has the potential to be resisted if you dont cap your skill but with af3 hands and basic dark magic gear it shouldnt be much of a problem, it comes down to understanding how tp is collected on the mob, once you get used to when the mob will use a tp move (also useful for when trying to stun) you'll know when you can get the most out of it. absorb-tp can be like a free wing during zergs due to you being able to take the tp an entire alliance has caused a mob to build up

long story short, absorb-tp is awsome and also another absorb i use, but its grouped different than the other absorbs

edit for context: back at 75 i spent a few hours learning how much tp i gave the mob with perdu sickle so i could time a meditate > ws > absorb-tp > ws to make compression and mb drain II

Hit and miss because if there are multiple people on the monster it can be impractical to time it. Much easier to do when it's only you.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-06-15 16:54:47
Link | Citer | R

any and all absorbs are situational, giving up dot for any of them is silly, but theres times and places for them to be used. Ignoring the potential of them is ignoring a large portion of the job. obviously everyone here loves their absorb-troll spells
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-15 17:02:38
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »
any and all absorbs are situational, giving up dot for any of them is silly, but theres times and places for them to be used.

Which is basically what I said.

Quote:
Aborb-TP is hit / miss. Once your riding high on LR and haste buffs the cast time ends up netting you the same results as if you had just hit the thing a few more times. On occasional I can time it to absorb right after I WS but before the monster has had a chance to use it's own TP.

Quote:
Ignoring the potential of them is ignoring a large portion of the job. obviously everyone here loves their absorb-troll spells

No one here every said or remotely hinted at ignoring their potential. Stop trying to win a strawman, there are no bonus points for that.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-15 17:06:56
Link | Citer | R

I just remember Absorb-TP was the most amazing spell in the game, and then it was perhaps the worst.

Took me back to the days of 48TP Return Guillotine.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-06-15 17:09:15
Link | Citer | R

someone seems to take posts personal o.o;

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-15 19:23:00
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »
absorb-str = selfish str boost
absorb-vit = bring down the vit so everyone does more dmg
absorb-dex/acc = selfish acc boost
absorb-agi = slightly lower its evasion
absorb-int/mnd = helps nukes resist less, enfeebles stick and last longer, and slightly help you in the inverse

honestly the only absorbs ive really used in delve content are absorb-acc mnd and int (helps silence stick/duration on eft in morimar) after that i dont think it really makes that big a difference unless youre using mythic and absorbing 60+ of each stat

Sould have done this order:

AGI > VIT > MND > INT > DEX > ACC

that way everyone Benefits off it.

and you are right, SELFISH DRK noobs tend to think "Ooooo if i do STR i will do better WS" but they don't realize that if they do in that order their WS is not only boosted by STR + but also from enemy getting VIT AGI down (EVA down / Def Down) which will be optimal for Resolution (multi-hit) (AGI-/EVA-) and dmg itself (VIT-/DEF-)

That is all, any sane person can see that
 Bismarck.Hsieh
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2013-06-15 19:49:49
Link | Citer | R

I don't see how Absorb-STR is considered "selfish". I can make the same claim that it will reduce enemy attacks. Let's all be honest, if you're fighting delve bosses 9/10 times your absorb spells will get resisted or make little difference for others.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-06-15 20:29:37
Link | Citer | R

that wasnt really an order just what they did lol

only absorbs ive used on delve bosses were mnd/int where useful to help mages land spells as resistance builds, maybe absorb-tp if the situation allows, all of which land 9/10 of the time with a decent build
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-15 20:44:31
Link | Citer | R

I know , just saying it be a nice order due to the stats

1st thing ppl got problems with: EVA
2nd thing ppl got problems with: DEF
3rd thing ppl got problems with: M.DEF Bonus

so after those are lowered, they could do STR ACC DEX I guess.

just a suggestion, so they help PT 1st before helping themselves.
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2013-06-15 22:42:11
Link | Citer | R

Should really only use absorb tp when you are hitting a wall or an elemental. You can almost always absorb for over 90 tp for back to back WS on those things. That being said, you should only do that if you are not getting any haste buff. Absorb acc is good when you absolutely need it. If you can't hit a mob, think about fixing your gear set, but until you can do that, you should absorb acc just so you can at least do some damage. Aside from that, unless you have a Liberator, which extend the duration by a mile, you really shouldn't be using absorb-states.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-16 20:21:34
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
I know , just saying it be a nice order due to the stats

1st thing ppl got problems with: EVA
2nd thing ppl got problems with: DEF
3rd thing ppl got problems with: M.DEF Bonus

so after those are lowered, they could do STR ACC DEX I guess.

just a suggestion, so they help PT 1st before helping themselves.

DRK has no way to reduce def in any meaningful way. Absorbs are based on your level.

floor((Level/5)+3)

So 22 for a level 99 DRK. There are two pieces of +10% potency gear and emp +2 makes NV a 75% boost. The boosts are multiplicative. You can use DS to ensure it lands though you might be stuck with half duration. Thankfully potency is static and only weakens at 1 point per 10s.

[22 * 1.2] * 1.75 = 45 VIT. Turns into -22 defense and +11 fSTR for anyone not capped. 22 defense won't do jack ***for anyone, the 11 fSTR would be really nice for MNK or other fast hitters, if their not already close to capping. 45 AGI on the other hand is -22 evasion for +11% hit rate to everyone not capped, and potentially 10%+ crit rate if people aren't capping dDEX. Of course the duration is what sucks. Getting 120s base duration shouldn't be that hard and with DS you'll get at least 60s of time on it. And IMHO on anything that you'd be concerned with using absorb-stat you would want to be using NV + DS for it. Otherwise your wasting time for a 26 point return.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-06-17 03:07:48
Link | Citer | R

lol no
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-19 10:13:27
Link | Citer | R

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Absorb

Base Absorbed = Floor(3 + (Job Level÷5))

Total Absorbed = floor( floor( Base Absorbed×Σ(Equipment Bonuses) )×Nether Void )
Quote:
It is worth noting that the potency of these spells is not enhanced by Dark Magic Skill. Their accuracy is enhanced by it, and Resisted Absorb spells will be given half duration or have no effect (two-state spells). These spells decay over their durations at the rate of 1 stat every 10 seconds and eventually wear off after 90 seconds without any duration enhancing equipment.

Outside of mythic scythe there are only two pieces of potency gear for a total of +20% potency.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Chuparrosa_Mantle
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Pavor_Gauntlets

Using the formula posted on BGwiki we get 22 as base absorbed. With 1.2 as the equipment bonus and 1.75 as the NV bonus we get. [[22 * 1.2] * 1.75] for 45. Duration is 90s base with one of those potency pieces giving another 20s for 110s total, there are several pieces that you could tack on to up the duration though it might not be worth it. DS pretty much guarantees you won't get a total resist though you might get stuck with half duration.

Urteil if you disagree with any of this then go edit BGwiki with your own special correct information. Otherwise you've just become the posterchild for the next Movie
 Phoenix.Urteil
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-06-20 14:10:48
Link | Citer | R

I was never talking to you.
Dare to dream.