Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)
Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-09-20 13:02:27
Link | Citer | R

That still doesn't change the fact that they're not the same stat, and shouldn't exactly be compared as such.
 Diabolos.Raelia
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-09-20 13:03:19
Link | Citer | R

Are you seriously just bitching about it being slightly inaccurate?

They are the same stat mechanically: A percentage-chanced multiplier of damage.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-09-20 13:04:16
Link | Citer | R

Yes I am.

One is a multiplier and one is an addition to a function. One also only applies to the first hit of a round and the other does not. Saying x% crit = x% ODD is still a terrible idea, unless you're stating something like "against this target and stats, they are comparable."
 Diabolos.Raelia
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-09-20 13:13:36
Link | Citer | R

It's about context. You're talking about a different context. Taint is using a metric of damage multiplication native to the weapon.

It's a way to compare the weapons in their basic states. It's the same way you place damage against delay to produce the DPS metric. You wouldn't say DPS is an invalid metric just because you haven't yet considered hitbuilds, gear, or other buffs being given.

It is a way to compare the weapons themselves.

It's a reference, a guide. It tells us that Rag at least matches the ODD of Caladbolg in native damage multiplication, albeit through a secondary stat.

But that's just the thing: It is a valid comparison in this context. If you double-dipped the crit bonus (using the ODD equivalence and calculating crit rate) or something it'd be invalid, sure.

But they're damage multipliers, and this is fifth grade math to put them together so you can compare the weapons on a basic level. You're making a case similar to saying a 'DPS' value from damage and delay is irrelevant or invalid because Haste values and hitbuilds may vary, see?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-09-20 13:23:03
Link | Citer | R

No, I'm saying X% crit = X% ODD is not an accurate statement, because it's not always going to be that way. Taint understood it, why you're having such a difficult time and trying to put words in my mouth, that's what I don't think anyone understands.
 Asura.Jem
Serveur: Asura
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-20 13:32:59
Link | Citer | R

Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's entirely possible as my only DD empy is Almace which I've used once) but can't Empy ODD proc on multihits whereas Relic can only proc on the first swing? So comparing the two is already shaky if so.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-09-20 13:38:52
Link | Citer | R

I'm not entirely sure for non H2H ones, which can only proc on the first swing on an attack round.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-09-20 14:05:23
Link | Citer | R

Spharai and the mythic h2h can only proc on the first hit with the main hand, where as Calad and other empy aftermath can strike on any hit in an attack round from what i've seen. I have 90 Calad, 90 Vere, 85 hvergelmir, and 85 kannagi, as well as my 99 ragnarok.

with an appropriate build, torcleaver can be pretty hot stuff, easily countered by a reso with an appropriate build. one thing i do with ragnarok, is sekkanoki scourge to reso for the added light chain damage.

I've pit my calad against a borealis, and calad came out on top, just using torcleaver while the other drk used reso. had similar gear, he used a 6 hit while i used a 7 hit, with a focus on DA to make up for the difference in xhit. The aftermath alone, along with a str/vit/att setup completely ruined him in parse
 Fenrir.Curty
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 17:37:43
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok's 2.5 damage proc can't proc on 2nd hit of a Double Attack? That's pretty huge if true.
 Fenrir.Ghostknight
user: Zeraphion
By Fenrir.Ghostknight 2012-09-20 17:41:37
Link | Citer | R

So much stupid in this tread.
 Cerberus.Taint
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-20 17:52:56
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Ghostknight said: »

Says the guy with a 99cala ROTFLMAO....

Would love to see you justify 99Cala over 99Rag.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-09-20 17:53:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Ghostknight said: »

So far all you posted was a lol and the above comment. Now that's proof of superior intelligence, right? Right ;P
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-09-20 17:55:35
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Curty said: »
Ragnarok's 2.5 damage proc can't proc on 2nd hit of a Double Attack? That's pretty huge if true.

Pretty sure it's the case for all relics.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-20 17:59:19
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Jem said: »
Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's entirely possible as my only DD empy is Almace which I've used once) but can't Empy ODD proc on multihits whereas Relic can only proc on the first swing? So comparing the two is already shaky if so.
yup

I think Vere is an exception though, due to the weirdness with H2H multiattacks.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-20 17:59:42
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Detzu said: »

Exception for Bow and Gun which can proc on a double shot.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 18:02:57
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

Ya that's why it surprised me. Only relic I have is gun and double shot works great :).

Really think this fact solidifies Calads dominance over Ragnarok on non-evasive content.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-20 18:14:11
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

Ya that's why it surprised me. Only relic I have is gun and double shot works great :).

Really think this fact solidifies Calads dominance over Ragnarok on non-evasive content.
But due to the absolute need of AM3, it would only be viable in VW, I would think.

The more and more it is shown how Caladbolg 99 can shine, the less and less it looks appealing.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-20 18:19:18
Link | Citer | R

Anything lasting less than three minutes where you can build TP beforehand arguably qualifies, though Sekkanoki is potentially a counter-consideration for extremely short fights.
 Leviathan.Frotaut
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Frotaut2
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-09-20 18:20:32
Link | Citer | R

Wouldn't it be better to math out for the OP how the damage defers between the borialis and Cala? i'm interested as i'm assuming the op wont ever make a rag and is planning on stopping cala at 90. I think he was actually looking for some usefull info so he knew wether to waste time doing Ig or CC's
edit: i just read that meme it's sad but so true lol
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-20 18:37:24
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Anything lasting less than three minutes where you can build TP beforehand arguably qualifies, though Sekkanoki is potentially a counter-consideration for extremely short fights.

^ This

And it would take a lot of ODD to over come a single extra Resolution.

Not even mentioned is the fact WAR can use Rag which opens a whole new tier of endgame damage potential.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-20 18:48:27
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Frotaut said: »
Wouldn't it be better to math out for the OP how the damage defers between the borialis and Cala? i'm interested as i'm assuming the op wont ever make a rag and is planning on stopping cala at 90. I think he was actually looking for some usefull info so he knew wether to waste time doing Ig or CC's

90Cala is likely easier and faster to obtain.

90Cala
+ODD
Torcleavor for Light if applicable
Fast and easy to make

Borealis
8% proc 50% WS boost
480 delay easy 6hit

The simple answer is start making Cala90 its a very quick path, chances are you'll never get a Borealis. If I had to bet on a weapon I'm taking Cala90 and its superior white damage over Borealis.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 21:11:43
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Taint said: »

^ This

And it would take a lot of ODD to over come a single extra Resolution.

Not even mentioned is the fact WAR can use Rag which opens a whole new tier of endgame damage potential.

Night, you know I love you man, but sometimes you worry me. If you're /saming to a zerg you are doing it wrong.
 Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow 2012-09-20 21:14:15
Link | Citer | R

This is still going on?! Make OAT or Ragnarok and be done with it. D:
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-20 22:04:36
Link | Citer | R

Night, you know I love you man, but sometimes you worry me. If you're /saming to a zerg you are doing it wrong.
I distinctly remember using the words "potentially" and "Sekkanoki". It was far from a blanket statement regarding use of the two subs in a zerg. That said don't overestimate the difference between the two subs when Bergressor isn't in play, particularly if you're getting buffs that favor /SAM (Boost-STR, Fighter's Roll).
[+]
 Asura.Jem
Serveur: Asura
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-21 01:39:21
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much what Night said. And if you were talking about a pure zerg which was standalone then the Rag user should be going WAR anyway.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 08:16:55
Link | Citer | R

/sam for very fast fights like ADL or with fighters

/war for the rest
 Ragnarok.Galiber
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2012-09-21 09:03:04
Link | Citer | R

So wait we're back to /sam is the way to go on most things?

I'm not sarcastic at all. :)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-09-21 09:26:22
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
So wait we're back to /sam is the way to go on most things? I'm not sarcastic at all. :)
I distinctly remember using the words "potentially" and "Sekkanoki". It was far from a blanket statement regarding use of the two subs in a zerg. That said don't overestimate the difference between the two subs when Bergressor isn't in play, particularly if you're getting buffs that favor /SAM (Boost-STR, Fighter's Roll).

If you don't need acc or attack benefits or aggressor, or berserk youre just getting DA. There's not really a "this always wins". That being said i am of the opinion that with all the new relics every 20 seconds and drks attack so HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE high now (with LR 71% of the time) it never was much of a choice.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2012-09-21 09:48:19
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Taint said: »
Leviathan.Frotaut said: »

90Cala is likely easier and faster to obtain.

90Cala
+ODD
Torcleavor for Light if applicable
Fast and easy to make

Borealis
8% proc 50% WS boost
480 delay easy 6hit

The simple answer is start making Cala90 its a very quick path, chances are you'll never get a Borealis. If I had to bet on a weapon I'm taking Cala90 and its superior white damage over Borealis.

With borealis you can make a 5 hit
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-09-21 09:53:04
Link | Citer | R

For Legion at the least, you will still need aggressor to cap Accuracy even with relic, and SE or DE on Harpi.