A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 99 100 101
By SeekerStar 2014-03-18 15:55:44
Link | Citer | R

Okay, asking for assistance. Don't shoot me.

Bit of background: I hate being the stun sch, but in the LS I spend a lot of time in, I'm it. /sadface

Current Stunset:

Main/Pajama Staff
Grip/ Mephitis Grip
Ammo/ Incantor Stone

Head/ Academic's Mortarboard (thinking of getting relic instead)
Neck/ Eddy Necklace
Ear1/ Loquacious Earring
Ear2/ Gifted Earring

Body/ Vanir Cotehardie (lack of refresh on this saddens me.)
Hands/ Hagondes Cuffs (I have a +27 macc on these, but...?)
Ring1/ Prolix Ring
Ring2/ Sangoma Ring

Back/Swith Cape
Waist/Witful Belt
Legs/Academic's ...whatever they are
Feet/Pedagogy Loafers

Now, I do have a Jeweled with fast cast on it, and plan on getting the Meebles collar that has fast cast +5. I also possess an Archon Ring, though Sangoma's macc is higher....

What do I need to get? With just that gear, and no haste/march, I have 7-sec recast (using stratagem/Thunderstorm obviously).

Just trying to suck less is all. ;)
By Sieha1 2014-03-18 16:20:27
Link | Citer | R

Like everything in the game, its situational. The goal is to not have to rely on strats to keep your timer down. since over the course of a 7-10 minute fight you will probably run out of them and start missing stuns. this is why the AF reforged feet and Relic reforged head are nice. Remember that fast cast is only have the value in recast reduction. You want to max recast since actually casting it fast isnt an issue.
 Bismarck.Inference
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-03-18 16:36:41
Link | Citer | R

Well, we're still restricted by the same 25% haste gear as everyone else, and with it being pretty much tossed on every piece of ilvl gear now it's really not that hard to hit that.

Like he said though, you don't want to rely on Alacrity. Your set seems fine as is. If you're not doing 18 man versions(in other words, you're the only stunner; no partner), you should have someone giving you magic haste and probably marches the entire time. I'm not sure what the drop in WS frequency is when you have less DD on it, but I can't stun something important like Peiste in 18 man without either using partnered Alacrity, or having marches.

Possible improvements(like relic hat when not using Alacrity, or Nahtirah Hat for when using Alacrity), will help your recast marginally but you already have a pretty strong foundation of gear for the job and it'll really just come down to making sure you have buffs.
By Sieha1 2014-03-18 16:40:14
Link | Citer | R

Yes, for all the times that melees whine about haste and marches, it is now time for schs to whine to!

Also, this is a real pain to do but depending on the situation, the recast staff for thunder isnt a bad idea. If you dont need the macc or at least dont need it right away then the staff is good for lowman stunning.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-03-18 16:48:24
Link | Citer | R

I too am the main stunner and hate it, but I'm also the best geared stunner atm, aside from some of the relic stuff that I haven't done yet.

On point, talk with your LS leader and get yourself 2x March and Haste, which should eliminate the need for Alacrity use. Once you do that, you can save your stratagems for when these buffs start to wear off. You can get the BRD rotated into the pt as needed and not be 100% reliant on strats.
 Asura.Chefm
Serveur: Asura
user: Chefm
By Asura.Chefm 2014-03-25 23:16:44
Link | Citer | R

I have been gone for awhile, so i put together so set that i think i should set goals for. What do you think should be different ?

Stun:
ItemSet 321504
other: Stun Staff, Macc earrings
Nuke:
ItemSet 37666
Heal:
ItemSet 37664
/w lightstorm up 24/7
 Ragnarok.Sharain
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sharain
By Ragnarok.Sharain 2014-03-26 00:00:22
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
On point, talk with your LS leader and get yourself 2x March and Haste, which should eliminate the need for Alacrity use. Once you do that, you can save your stratagems for when these buffs start to wear off. You can get the BRD rotated into the pt as needed and not be 100% reliant on strats.
I'd like to point a minor thing that you need at least +3 marches (maybe +4), +2 isn't quite enough. I didn't even think about it since in LS runs there's usually gjalla99 bard, but then there was one run with a different brd, and I found my 8 sec recast suddenly being 10. Yikes! That's barely not enough for boss.
By Pantafernando 2014-03-26 06:07:01
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Chefm said: »
I have been gone for awhile, so i put together so set that i think i should set goals for. What do you think should be different ?

Stun:
ItemSet 321504
other: Stun Staff, Macc earrings
Nuke:
ItemSet 37666
Heal:
ItemSet 37664
/w lightstorm up 24/7

For stun set, change asap your maniacus sash for haste belt, nahtirah hat and macc earring will do more for you than those earrings. Also, new delve leg augmented for macc if you need less recast.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-03-26 06:24:20
Link | Citer | R

He actually have 24% haste (with ionis) in his set if I'm not mistaken, so there isn't much reason to get a haste belt, unless you want to swap in some FC gear in replacement of some haste gear there....

But that belt is absolutely awful for stun, why would you want -macc? I'd swap it to a +macc belt like demonry or ovate rope.

Also I'd put in that last 1% haste somewhere, get uptala grip and use aureole for more macc, or use hasty pinion instead of that incanter's stone. imo prolix ring isn't worth the effort and i'd just go for another macc ring. Meebles torque instead of shark neck if you need more fast cast... but yea, I wouldn't use relic head over bee hat. and i'd buff up that extra haste with a haste belt. so panta is prolly right there. lol
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-03-26 07:00:35
Link | Citer | R

For your nuking set, that cape only procs when your MP is under 50%. Since you should be keeping weather up for nukes and cures, I would use twilight cape and elemental obis for both sets.

Also as a question, do Umbani Boots beat Savants Loafers +2?
By Antisense 2014-03-26 09:14:19
Link | Citer | R

For stun:

Magic haste: as stated previously, March +3 x2 and Haste spell at minimum eliminates "need" to use Alacrity for trex and shark, given appropriate recast reduction in gear. Faerie Piccolo/Iron Ram Horn and AF3+2 legs (Aoidos' Manchettes +2) gets to March +3, so there really is no excuse. As stated previously, you could reserve Alacrity (including Tabula Rasa) for dropped haste buffs.

Gear haste: 20% gear haste is in the gear set listed (Vanir 3% vs Hedera 5%). A haste belt would cover remaining ~5% gear haste (Ionis is ~1% gear haste).

Other sources of recast reduction from gear: "Grimoire: spellcasting time" > fast cast. (Yes, if Alacrity active, the grimoire bonus from equipment doesn't apply but fast cast is really superfluous anyway). Well, the grimoire effect caps at -25% with both reforged relic head and artifact feet, but having both is still more efficient than fast-cast alternatives at reducing recast (25% > Fast Cast +17 from Nahtirah Hat and Pedagogy Loafers). Pedagogy Loafers/Argute Loafers +2 is Alacrity-only anyway. (There is no magic accuracy reason to choose Pedagogy Loafers over Academic's Loafers)

Magic accuracy: there is even more magic accuracy available now with any Artsieq Type B or Artsieq Hat Type C (the legs even have Fast Cast +5). In practice, one time post-update with this new gear, I stunned bee 46 times (6 eaten by shadows so they don't count) before encountering a resist (on stun #47), so if it takes that many stuns to kill a Delve 1.0 boss your DD are REALLY gimp (this bee took 10 minutes so yes they were collectively gimp).

As an alternative to Lehbrailg +2 there is Twebuliij Type B (Magic accuracy +15) if you don't want to play random number generator with wailing stones. Twebuliij is from Hyoscya (belladonna) from Yorcia delve.

For healing: if you don't want to clutter your inventory with Cure potency crap, you can get decent-enough augments on Gendewitha Bliaut and Caubeen to cap gear Cure potency with Chatoyant (10%), Bokwus (13%), Caubeen (10%) and Bliaut (8%) and 9% combined from augments for Caubeen and Bliaut. Or you could use Heka's Kalasiris + augmented Caubeen.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2014-03-26 10:28:47
Link | Citer | R

Basically what spirachub said for stun, additionally, new delve 2 pants are 5% haste + 5% fast cast + 20 macc when fully augmented and they don't seem too hard to get.

About Natirah Hat vs. Peda Hat, it could go 6 one way half a dozen the other. ~15% recast reduction vs. 10 macc and 10% recast reduction.

Definitely psystorm/lifestorm for earrings, worth losing 1% recast from loquacious.

For cure, once I obtain it, I'll go Tamaxchi, Heka's, bokwus. That way you don't have to worry about finding other cure potency gear when you use rapture.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-03-26 10:36:48
Link | Citer | R

If I made a gimp stun sch to take the place of a real one(instead of watiing 2-4 hours for one) could I just full time a stun set and still have decent stun recast times?
By Pantafernando 2014-03-26 10:47:34
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »
If I made a gimp stun sch to take the place of a real one(instead of watiing 2-4 hours for one) could I just full time a stun set and still have decent stun recast times?

If you have enough macc and experience, you can deal with recast selecting just lahar to stun (for tojil), guillotine (for shark) and aphoteosis (for bee) and slowga, meteor. This way you wont ran out alacrity, but will put a heavy burden to whm. Tabula rasa if you ran out alacrity.

Also, players must be able to survive one or 2 of those moves to go off. Dont really feel guilty if you lose a run because of stunning. If losing a move result in wipe, that mean the DDs/healers werent at the level to require a perfect stun also, so NO RIGHT to blame the SCH.
By Antisense 2014-03-26 10:48:30
Link | Citer | R

Since everyone seems to cast cures under Aurorastorm as a "given":

Chatoyant + Caubeen (with augment) + Heka's + Bokwus + Rapture: (1.2)(1.5) = ~1.8x "base cure"

Tamaxchi + (Bonnet +2) + Heka's + Bokwus + Rapture: (1.1)(1.6) = ~1.76 "base cure"

Chatoyant + Caubeen (with augment) + Heka's + Bokwus + Rapture + "finding other cure potency gear for Rapture): (1.2)(1.6) = ~1.92x "base cure"

Using Chatoyant without Bonnet and capped Cure potency under Aurorastorm is already ahead of Tamaxchi/Heka's/Bokwus + Bonnet +2 with capped Cure potency.
By Airwave 2014-03-26 10:51:08
Link | Citer | R

A couple of questions about the nuking set.

First about Umbani Boots. They look great but do they beat Hagondes +1 feet even with a great augment? Or maybe Umbani for lower tier nukes and Hagondes +1 for higher? What's the highest MAB you can get on Hagondes? +30? How much MAB would you need on Hagondes +1 feet to beat Umbani? Or even with MAB+30 they won't win?

Next question is about the Artsieq Jubbah. Does that get Augments or something? If so what kind of augments can you get on it? I don't see how that beats Hagondes +1 body even with decent augment

Thanks in advance

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-03-26 11:06:10
Link | Citer | R

Antisense said: »

Chatoyant + Caubeen (with augment) + Heka's + Bokwus + Rapture: (1.2)(1.5) = ~1.8x "base cure"

Tamaxchi + (Bonnet +2) + Heka's + Bokwus + Rapture: (1.1)(1.6) = ~1.76 "base cure"

Chatoyant + Caubeen (with augment) + Heka's + Bokwus + Rapture + "finding other cure potency gear for Rapture): (1.2)(1.6) = ~1.92x "base cure"

Using Chatoyant without Bonnet and capped Cure potency under Aurorastorm is already ahead of Tamaxchi/Heka's/Bokwus + Bonnet +2 with capped Cure potency.

Wouldn't tefnut be a better choice?

Airwave said: »
Next question is about the Artsieq Jubbah. Does that get Augments or something? If so what kind of augments can you get on it? I don't see how that beats Hagondes +1 body even with decent augment

It's delve gear so you get mezzotint on those. What augments you get depends on which path you take, and how high rank it is.

At rank 15:
A path : MP+30 MABy +20, INT+7.
B path : MP+30 Magic Accuracy +20, MND+7.
C path : Macc+25 Meva +10 MDT-5%
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-03-26 11:15:41
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »

If you have enough macc and experience, you can deal with recast selecting just lahar to stun (for tojil), guillotine (for shark) and aphoteosis (for bee) and slowga, meteor. This way you wont ran out alacrity, but will put a heavy burden to whm. Tabula rasa if you ran out alacrity.

Also, players must be able to survive one or 2 of those moves to go off. Dont really feel guilty if you lose a run because of stunning. If losing a move result in wipe, that mean the DDs/healers werent at the level to require a perfect stun also, so NO RIGHT to blame the SCH.

Would I need the Apjamas staff? By gimp I don't mean strictly AH gear, I would get most of the gear listed for the stun set except things like meebles neck ect.
 Asura.Chefm
Serveur: Asura
user: Chefm
By Asura.Chefm 2014-03-26 11:17:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
He actually have 24% haste (with ionis) in his set if I'm not mistaken, so there isn't much reason to get a haste belt, unless you want to swap in some FC gear in replacement of some haste gear there....

But that belt is absolutely awful for stun, why would you want -macc? e.I'd swap it to a +macc belt like demonry or ovate rope

Also I'd put in that last 1% haste somewhere, get uptala grip and use aureole for more macc, or use hasty pinion instead of that incanter's stone. imo prolix ring isn't worth the effort and i'd just go for another macc ring. Meebles torque instead of shark neck if you need more fast cast... but yea, I wouldn't use relic head over bee hat. and i'd buff up that extra haste with a haste belt. so panta is prolly right there. lol

I made the changes for the belt piece, for some reason i thought it said +10 mac lol . I'll work on Macc+ ring and neck piece

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
For your nuking set, that cape only procs when your MP is under 50%. Since you should be keeping weather up for nukes and cures, I would use twilight cape and elemental obis for both sets.

Also as a question, do Umbani Boots beat Savants Loafers +2?

i have all the obi and twilight, this set is if i nuke outside my weather, BUT how does the SCH cape do with and without weather up vs these two other capes?????

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Basically what spirachub said for stun, additionally, new delve 2 pants are 5% haste + 5% fast cast + 20 macc when fully augmented and they don't seem too hard to get.

About Natirah Hat vs. Peda Hat, it could go 6 one way half a dozen the other. ~15% recast reduction vs. 10 macc and 10% recast reduction.

Definitely psystorm/lifestorm for earrings, worth losing 1% recast from loquacious.

For cure, once I obtain it, I'll go Tamaxchi, Heka's, bokwus. That way you don't have to worry about finding other cure potency gear when you use rapture.

What is the name of the new pants??? I like the Pada hat lol. and i made changes to the earring spots.

A couple of questions about the nuking set.

First about Umbani Boots. They look great but do they beat Hagondes +1 feet even with a great augment? Or maybe Umbani for lower tier nukes and Hagondes +1 for higher? What's the highest MAB you can get on Hagondes? +30? How much MAB would you need on Hagondes +1 feet to beat Umbani? Or even with MAB+30 they won't win?

Thanks in advance

Umbani vs Hagondes vs Savan ft ????? and anyone played around with Artsieq Jubbah or should i just go with Hadodes+1 body???
By Antisense 2014-03-26 11:18:19
Link | Citer | R

The reasoning is technically correct but the difference (given "best-in-slot" as the "all else being equal") is negligible if you don't consider single or double-digit differences on helices/tier 1 or ~1% differences (100-120 damage differences) on tier 5 nukes to be meaningful. This would be the case for Hagondes +1 with MAB+30 vs Umbani.
Highest possible MAB value is 30. If you are on Ragnarok, go find Pikoru and his MAB+30 on Hagondes Coat lv113.

Wouldn't tefnut be a better choice?

Don't people Cure under light weather 100% of the time? Then Iridescence would apply 100% of the time.

It's delve gear so you get mezzotint on those. What augments you get depends on which path you take, and how high rank it is.

At rank 15:
A path : MP+30 MABy +20, INT+7.
B path : MP+30 Magic Accuracy +20, MND+7.
C path : Macc+25 Meva +10 MDT-5%

This Type C only applies to Artsieq Hat, as type C augments vary by equipment slot for the augmentable Delve 2.0 equipment. (For example Artsieq Boots Type C is pet macc or some ***)

Quote:
blah blah miscellaneous OCD'ing blah blah

Savant's Loafers + 2 vs. ilevel alternatives: Loafers provide a 10% bonus that is offset by MAB/MDMG/INT (where INT actually increases damage) on ilevel feet, so that 10% is actually closer to 3-5%.

Twilight Cape vs. Bookworm's Cape: it could be shown that Bookworm is better for helix/tier 1 but not for tier 4/5. Again the meaningfulness of the difference is highly questionable as for max MAB Hagondes +1

Since there is the possibility that max ilevel on gear may exceed 119 in the future, I don't see why anyone would bother with augments that provide negligible benefits compared to good "out-of-the-box" alternatives.
By Airwave 2014-03-26 11:55:17
Link | Citer | R

Ok thanks for the fast replys guys.

So Hagondes Coat +1 with a Augment of MAB+20/21 or high beats Artsieq Jubbah?

And I'm still not clear about the Hagondes +1 feet though. Was the answer that even with a amazing MAB augment on Hagondes +1 feet even if they did pull ahead of Umbani Boots it wouldn't be by much? So not really worth /tossing a lot of +2 stones at those probably huh?
By Pantafernando 2014-03-26 12:03:47
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »

Would I need the Apjamas staff? By gimp I don't mean strictly AH gear, I would get most of the gear listed for the stun set except things like meebles neck ect.

It was extensivelly discussed apajamas ii or macc staff, and seems like the macc staff are the way to go, because the gap on macc is a lot compared to any ilv staff (apajamas is 70 macc and most staves will gives 180+macc) for a recast reduction, that most set really dont require. Sch nowaday have access to a shitload of fast cast and haste gear, added with marches and haste, they seems to be hitting the 8 secs that is around the time between mega boss tp moves without alacrity, so any fast cast wont help. But macc and recast are 2 things that will affect more or less your work depending your style and/or yours dds. Supose your dds are top notch, that can finish all mega boss in 5- mins. In this case, you will stun everything with alacrity, and wont hit the resist. But if your dds are too slow, you will both ran put alacrity and/or hit stun wall. In the case of stun wall, the extra macc could give you some extra mins, thats why most prefer the macc staves than apajamas ii. Also worth mention in lowman situation you wont have geo magic, but also theoretically nms wont do tp move so fast due to low rate of tp generated, so even more reason to go to macc way. Lehbraigh +2 augmented with fast cast, though, could reduce a bit the gap to apajamas ii and still have respectable macc.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2014-03-26 12:19:06
Link | Citer | R

Antisense said: »

Wow, I just learned something today. I had no idea that Chatoyant got a boost from weather. That is awesome!

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2014-03-26 12:28:32
Link | Citer | R

And I'm still not clear about the Hagondes +1 feet though. Was the answer that even with a amazing MAB augment on Hagondes +1 feet even if they did pull ahead of Umbani Boots it wouldn't be by much? So not really worth /tossing a lot of +2 stones at those probably huh?

For Tier 1 nukes, 1 magic attack bonus = ~ .75 magic damage.
For Tier 5 nukes, 1 magic attack bonus = ~ .2 magic damage.

So for Umbani, MAB aug on Hag feet would beat it outright at ~26-27 on T1. At ~22 on T5

Edit: I'm probably being pretty conservative towards magic damage to tell the truth.
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2014-03-26 12:41:16
Link | Citer | R

If you start hitting the stun wall focalization is your friend....

5/5 Focalization > All !!! (Personal preference, pay me no mind >.>)
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-03-26 13:04:48
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »

For Tier 1 nukes, 1 magic attack bonus = ~ .75 magic damage.
For Tier 5 nukes, 1 magic attack bonus = ~ .2 magic damage.

So for Umbani, MAB aug on Hag feet would beat it outright at ~26-27 on T1. At ~22 on T5

Edit: I'm probably being pretty conservative towards magic damage to tell the truth.

Disagree.

According with your math, a max augmented hagondes would hit 29 mab = 21,75 magdmg. Umbani has 20 mab+10 magdmg+5int = 30 magdmg, so hagondes +1 will never beat a umbani in low tier nuke, acording with your math.

About your relation mab and magdmg, it isnt a static value. Depending on your base values, this change completely. Im not a math expert, but considering a rude hypothesis of dmg= v*mab/mdb.

Suposing base values of v=100, mab/mdb=2.

This way, dmg=200
With magdmg+1 => dmg=101*2=202.
With mab+1 => dmg=100*2,01=201

So for those values, magdmg=2*mab. As your gear magdmg grow, its less interesting stacking magdmg, thats why high tier nukes benefit more of mab, they have static values of v over 700.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2014-03-26 13:35:32
Link | Citer | R

I forgot to factor in the extra int on Umbani, you are correct in that regard that I didn't factor that value in. It only changes the outcome though on T5 nukes by 1 to 2 mab.

Assuming really good gear all around and a dINT of 100, base damage for a Stone V is 1200. Assuming as well that the other magic damage gear you are using is hag pants and skirmish staff, you have a base damage of 1425. Lets also assume that you have 100 MAB without your feet slot. Base damage for your nuke is going to be 2854.

Umbani feet give you a nuke value of 3205 where an augmented Hag feet give you 3210 at +25 mab on the augment. If you have a perfect augment, Hag feet get you all the way to 3267, that is +57 damage over Umbani.

If you are at 200 base MAB before feet. Hag feet still win at at least +27 mab, so we are getting closer to having Umbani win, but you would still need significantly more base mab before that is the case.

My set isn't that great to tell the truth, I probably don't quite hit the dINT 100+, which it is more favorable to Umbani (being under dINT 100) too due to how INT calculates to magic damage. Truth to tell, if you don't have money to have killer augs on the rest of your hag pieces, Umbani is better. But if you have great augs on your other stuff, and have anything over +25 on your Hag feet, you probably don't need Umbani
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 99 100 101