First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 11:45:54
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
A month ago, Square Enix rocked the Gigas Socks off players during VanaFest 2012 by introducing “Seekers of Adoulin” the fifth expansion for Final Fantasy XI which is celebrating ten years of service. New jobs, new continent, new UI… even with all the information released at the event, people still wanted to know more! We had a chance to get some of our questions answered straight from the source.

Read on for our interview!

GE- It’s great to see that a new expansion is on the way! It’s been quite awhile since Wings of the Goddess came out. Why was there such a long period of time between expansions? When did development begin on Seekers of Adoulin?

SE- While we were planning the release of Wings of the Goddess, we realized that there wouldn’t be enough room in the future to create the amount of additional maps needed for a full disc expansion. With that in mind, we decided to do what we could by using existing areas for add-on scenarios and the addition of a few areas for the Abyssea battle area add-ons. During that time, we continued researching and revamping the system to allow us to increase the number of maps that we could implement, something that was previously impossible. With the revamp completed it became possible for us to increase the map capacity around the middle of 2011 and then we started planning for Seekers of Adoulin.

GE- In North America Seekers of Adoulin will not be available for the PlayStation 2. Can you tell us what lead to this decision? It seems a bit odd to increase HDD capacity for the game on the console then only release the expansion in one territory. Why not release the expansion digitally?

SE (Answered by Square Enix, Inc.)- In evaluating the North American release of the expansion across all platforms, we needed to consider multiple factors, including the number of players exclusively on the system, and the costs associated with publishing or developing a stand-alone download. Regrettably, these two factors greatly determined our final decision to support the PC and Xbox platforms exclusively. However, we remain committed to supporting FINAL FANTASY XI on the PlayStation 2 platform for the foreseeable future.

GE-How will players first arrive in Adoulin? Where will they depart from and what kind of prerequisite will need to be met before travel to Ulbuka is possible?

SE- For Seekers of Adoulin, we didn’t create a map for an ocean route, so we’re planning to make the main mode of transportation a teleport-like warp. We are planning to make this extremely convenient, and as players progress further with pioneering, the number of areas that they’ll be able to warp to will increase. We can’t say too much, but yes, there will be a quest requirement similar to the one to use the boat to travel to Aht Urhgan.

GE- How many types of Runes and Luopons will there be? Will they be a consumable item that players will have to carry around with them? Or will they be a spell or ability?

SE- Runes will be activated through the use of abilities. As mentioned at VanaFest, there are both offensive and defensive types of runes. Offensive runes will mainly be used against enemies dealing elemental damage and such, while defensive runes will mainly be used on yourself and party members to reduce elemental damage.

Rune fencers will also be able to utilize enhancing magic, so like paladins they will also utilize and consume MP.

GE- How will the new jobs play into current relic, mythic and empyrean weapons? Is it safe to assume that they’ll have relic and empyrean armor as well?

SE- Rune fencers and geomancers will have Artifact equipment, Artifact weapons, Relic Equipment, Empyrean equipment, and Mythic weapons.

GE- With Seekers of Adoulin, players will receive private islands that they can use like a farm. How similar will these be to the Mog House? Can other players visit your island? Will you be able to furnish any parts of the island?

SE- As there will be rental houses for players within the town of Adoulin, the islands will not be too similar to Mog Houses. Imagine the island as a specialized area for procuring materials. From a system perspective it is difficult to invite other players to your island, but that’s not to say that we have completely given up on it. Since you won’t be able to alter the layout of this area like you can inside of a Mog House, it won’t really be possible to decorate it. However, there will be visual variations that can be made, such as farmland expansions, in order to increase the amount of materials that you can procure.

GE- At VanaFest you said that you’re looking into changing some of the core coding for the game to deal with issues such as the limit on recast timers. Are there any other things that the coding will make possible that you can tell us about?

SE- We’re not actually changing the code itself but expanding on the character-related data. This update will enable the addition of new jobs, as well as the expansion of various other facets of the game, but we have not yet fully planned out exactly what we will be doing with this. To start out we will first be expanding job-related aspects, such as new jobs and recast timers.

GE- It’s been mentioned that plug-ins might be supported with the new PC user interface. Can you tell us more about what tools will be made available to the community, what type of plug-ins will be allowed or forbidden, and if there will be some type of approval process?

Using a tool we’re internally calling “Schemer,” we will be making it possible to freely customize and arrange existing functions with the graphics of your liking. We are currently looking into the overall approval process.

GE- Final Fantasy XIV has been picking up some steam lately while heading towards the launch of 2.0. Now, Final Fantasy XI has a new expansion pack coming out next year. Have you thought about a permanent discount or a bundled subscription to both games so that players don’t have to pick one over the other?

SE- This is currently undecided.

GE- This year marks the 10th anniversary of Final Fantasy XI. What are some of your favorite memories since the project began? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Mizuki Ito- Well, one of the most memorable things for me recently is the announcement of Hiromichi Tanaka’s retirement. While I was saddened by that fact that he is retiring, I feel very proud and fortunate to be a developer at the same company with a person who retired while being loved by many of the fans.

Yoji Fujito- When I think about memorable things in the history of the game, I would have to say the earthquake on March 11, 2011 and how its influence reached FFXI had a major impact on me. There hasn’t been an example in the past where service had to be halted for a long time and when I think about the fact that there were players who were affected by the disaster, I feel that this was a major event for both us and players alike.

Link

Thoughts:

-Took SE tons of research to complete seconds of work

-lolPS2

-What the *** SE, teleport? Really? Not a boat? Not an airship? A *** teleport?

-Runes being stratagem-like seems likely. Also giving Rune Knight access to Enhancing Magic could be interesting.

-Mythic Weapons... a mythic greatsword could be quite potent. Wondering if relic and empyrean equipment entails weapons too, very doubtful.

-lol approval process
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-25 11:57:15
Link | Citer | R

I read it wrong *pouts* why no empy weps?
 Cerberus.Logical
Serveur: Cerberus
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2012-07-25 12:01:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Mizuki Ito- Well, one of the most memorable things for me recently is the announcement of Hiromichi Tanaka’s retirement. While I was saddened by that fact that he is retiring, I feel very proud and fortunate to be a developer at the same company with a person who retired while being loved by many of the fans.

This one's utterly delusional!
[+]
 Sylph.Nephriel
Serveur: Sylph
user: Nephriel
By Sylph.Nephriel 2012-07-25 12:08:45
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
SE- For Seekers of Adoulin, we didn’t create a map for an ocean route, so we’re planning to make the main mode of transportation a teleport-like warp. We are planning to make this extremely convenient, and as players progress further with pioneering, the number of areas that they’ll be able to warp to will increase. We can’t say too much, but yes, there will be a quest requirement similar to the one to use the boat to travel to Aht Urhgan.

SE- As there will be rental houses for players within the town of Adoulin, the islands will not be too similar to Mog Houses. Imagine the island as a specialized area for procuring materials. From a system perspective it is difficult to invite other players to your island, but that’s not to say that we have completely given up on it. Since you won’t be able to alter the layout of this area like you can inside of a Mog House, it won’t really be possible to decorate it. However, there will be visual variations that can be made, such as farmland expansions, in order to increase the amount of materials that you can procure.
These are both incredibly disappointing to me :/
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-07-25 12:08:49
Link | Citer | R

Geomancer mythic weapon. I am hype.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2012-07-25 12:17:20
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
What's wrong with this? Did you EVER take the boat to Whitegate again after getting the teleport ability? (and not talking about in the first days or for fishing)
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Serveur: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2012-07-25 12:19:30
Link | Citer | R

I dreamt last night that I reinstalled FFXI and the first words to my linkshell were "ok, where do I start?" and then I got ripped away from the computer and had to go to work :(

I want to play again ;;
[+]
 Sylph.Nephriel
Serveur: Sylph
user: Nephriel
By Sylph.Nephriel 2012-07-25 12:25:59
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said: »
What's wrong with this? Did you EVER take the boat to Whitegate again after getting the teleport ability? (and not talking about in the first days or for fishing)

I actually did a number of times. Recently too in fact. A boat ride is a great and fun way to get somewhere new imo. At least they could make it a boat ride to get there once and then people who don't like it can take teleports. The system worked great with ToAU I think.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-25 12:31:54
Link | Citer | R

lol wow only mythic weapons.
 Fenrir.Cobblers
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ntfc
By Fenrir.Cobblers 2012-07-25 12:36:30
Link | Citer | R

This is very exciting, as we all know, when s.e have a lot of time to work on a project its always epic...

[+]
By daemun 2012-07-25 12:36:43
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Daus said: »
I want to play again ;;
I just got that same stupid urge. I was fine until reading your post and realizing it would be as new as when I first began because I know nothing of the new battle systems, nor what gear is good.

Thank you for making me have to re-install ><
 Fenrir.Dibble
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Dibble
By Fenrir.Dibble 2012-07-25 12:39:51
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
While I was saddened by that fact that he is retiring, I feel very proud and fortunate to be a developer at the same company with a person who retired while being loved by some of the fans.
Fixed it for him.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 12:41:23
Link | Citer | R

Not even the point. Point is the adventure of first going to the new place, not taking the boat every single time. "Not talking about in the first days" is circumventing the entire reason that someone would want a boat or airship ride to the new continent.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-25 12:44:26
Link | Citer | R

I love adventuring~
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-07-25 12:48:47
Link | Citer | R

Seriously, complaining for the sake to complain, lol.

Not even the point. Point is the adventure of first going to the new place, not taking the boat every single time. "Not talking about in the first days" is circumventing the entire reason that someone would want a boat or airship ride to the new continent.

There was no feeling of adventure, my first time on that boat. It was more like "When the hell am I getting off this thing so I can OBTAIN BLUE MAGE JOB ASAP."
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 12:49:21
Link | Citer | R

Yeah ok, whatever you say oh mighty one.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-07-25 12:51:25
Link | Citer | R

Don't even try to front. No one cares about the boat ride to a new place lol.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 12:51:39
Link | Citer | R

Making a blanket statement to say that people only care about adventuring if they don't care so much about instant gratification.

I'm disappointed. :<
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-07-25 12:51:55
Link | Citer | R

I think it adds to the "Epic Journey" to have a physical route to the new place for the first few times. Sure I don't want to swim, airship, boat over every time but it has an impact.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 12:52:06
Link | Citer | R

"I don't care about the boat ride to the new place, so I'm going to try to devalue the opinions of those that do by being a ***"

ok.
[+]
 Asura.Rekin
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Rekin 2012-07-25 12:53:26
Link | Citer | R

Mythic weapons for the new jobs only? This mythic weapon revamp better be really good.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 12:54:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rekin said: »
Mythic weapons for the new jobs only? This mythic weapon revamp better be really good.
I was seriously hoping Rune Fencer would get on Almace or Caladbolg (mostly Almace).
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-25 12:55:16
Link | Citer | R

Relic and Empyrean equipment might mean the weapons included, but the fact that they basicly just confirmed 2 new mythics is pretty sick.
Also, mythic great sword? fairly sure Rune Fencer is gonna be the new best DD properly geared.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 12:55:18
Link | Citer | R

Still possible that they'll add them to empy weapons, at the very least I'd hope that they're going to be put on basic magian weapons

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Relic and Empyrean equipment might mean the weapons included, but the fact that they basicly just confirmed 2 new mythics is pretty sick.
Also, mythic great sword? fairly sure Rune Fencer is gonna be the new best DD properly geared.

Idk about that really. The job doesn't seem to be centered around DD at all, meaning it will have to rely on things like Hasso and have a low attack score out of the gate. Likely face the same issues that DRG has, except without jumps to help make up for it.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-25 12:55:26
Link | Citer | R

I'm so pissed about npcs sending us there by teleportation; so uncreative and lazy for both developers and players. I was looking forward to seeing what they come up with, possibly even a new fishing spot if it was by boat, and they decided to put no effort into getting there.

This is just lowering my expectations of what the expansion is going to end up being like. This might be something small and meaningless to everyone else but it's just one sign of them putting the least amount of effort into this project, and if they make the travel there instant what makes anything else different?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-25 12:55:32
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Shokox said: »
Don't even try to front. No one cares about the boat ride to a new place lol.
I would be fine with my first trip there being a boat ride. Teleporting in seems rather anti-climatic. So yeah, go away.
[+]
By Sidiov 2012-07-25 12:55:33
Link | Citer | R

"I don't care about the boat ride to the new place, so I'm going to try to devalue the opinions of those that do by being a ***"

ok.
I'd look at it like this: Do you want SE to spend 1.5 years programming a boat ride you will take once, or 1.5 years programming something else that has a small chance of being useful?
I play the lottery, so I would pass on the boat ride for that small chance at a dream.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-25 12:56:50
Link | Citer | R

>>Assuming it would take them 1.5 years to make a boat ride
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-25 12:57:08
Link | Citer | R

Sidiov said: »

ok.
I'd look at it like this: Do you want SE to spend 1.5 years programming a boat ride you will take once, or 1.5 years programming something else that has a small chance of being useful?
I play the lottery, so I would pass on the boat ride for that small chance at a dream.
I don't think it's hard to borrow the boats there already are, draw up a simple map, and then implement them.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8