Leviathan.Seuss
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: DiscoDuck
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 11:35:21
Link | Citer | R

vs.

Help me out here please gang.

I am not a gung-ho player that has all the math or mechanics of the code figured out, nor do I care to. I enjoy playing when I have the time to (which isn't all that incredibly much now that I'm working on my PhD) but I do enjoy finishing a few of the less time/help-intensive items.

Anyways, with my limited time, I would like to know if I am better off to complete the WoE VS knock-off h2h or am I better with the Dbl.Att. Ursa Major h2h with 5/5 Shijin? Yes, I realize gear will be a variable, but I just want to know comparing apples to apples, which I'm better off with...

Other h2h ideas are welcome, of course, but please keep in mind my limited play time, so Vere, Sphar and mythic are out for me.

Thanks!
 Shiva.Galbir
Serveur: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-18 11:42:38
Link | Citer | R

Making a 99 WoE wep takes a metric ton of effort and honestly it would be easier making a 85 Vere.
[+]
 Leviathan.Scribe
By Leviathan.Scribe 2012-05-18 11:47:11
Link | Citer | R

Bah! My fault. I was simply using the pictures off the trial page to example it. I hadn't meant it to be saying finish either to 99 level.

To clarify,

vs.

Thanks for pointing that out before we got derailed...

...and one other point that may make a huge difference in discussion, I play as MNK/WAR only.

Thanks!
 Valefor.Omerta
Serveur: Valefor
user: arouis
By Valefor.Omerta 2012-05-18 11:52:43
Link | Citer | R

Getting the double attack claws to 99 isnt that much of an effort, yo can buy the mirrors//sands. WOE wapons are as hard if not harder to make than their full fledged counterparts. Id honestly just make Vere.
 Leviathan.Scribe
By Leviathan.Scribe 2012-05-18 11:56:07
Link | Citer | R

I can see we're already derailed, fantastic!

If you'll please note in my post, I specifically stated I don't have that much time to invest in a weapon. Not only that, soloing a Vere is the same as masturbating with a cheese-grader. Sure it gets the job done, but it leaves you crying and in more pain than the outcome was worth.
[+]
 Leviathan.Seuss
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 12:01:40
Link | Citer | R

BTW, I am both Seuss and Scribe. Not sure why this forum keeps rotating the account from which I'm posting under without me changing it...

Anyways, discuss on...

Thanks!
 Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Darkdias
By Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu 2012-05-18 12:02:48
Link | Citer | R

While you are talking about limited play time, I would like to ask if you have started trials towards either of the 2 weapons you mentioned, and if so, how far along are you?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 12:05:33
Link | Citer | R

I think -- I'm not 100% certain -- but I think if you want to do the most damage without making Vere or Spharai, you want to be making the +STR Magian path and then maxing out Shijin Spiral (and you still want to do this even if you've made Spharai).

Again, far from guaranteed here.

Other than that, the WOE weapon is probably your best bet as Victory Smite is still pretty beastly.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-05-18 12:08:18
Link | Citer | R

I think WoE weapons actually take longer to make than an 85 empyrean so you'd probably be better off just making that instead.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 12:20:26
Link | Citer | R

A lot of people will get down on the length of time it takes to make WoE weapons, but they don't factor in that you don't have to two box or find friends to make WoE weapons and you can do it much more casually.

When you're plowing through Empyreans generally you have a friend or two -- or at least a mule -- and you spend a lot of time all at once. A few 10-12 hour days plowing through mobs doesn't seem like a lot of time to most people.

But if you work a lot or are active with family or cannot commit any long individual sittings like that to play, WoE can be worlds easier, even if it takes longer overall. For some reason, many folks don’t grasp this concept and I think it’s just largely because most of us playing MMOs don’t have nearly as many commitments for a large variety of reasons.

There are lots of options out there to complete Empyreans, too, and if you have the patience to commit long-term you may still want to consider that as they are better weapons.

But WoE is a good option if you’re only able to invest in a few hours a day and you like the activity. I know I have 3 level 90 WoE weapons just because I enjoyed doing WoE for a while as a change of pace.~
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-05-18 12:23:12
Link | Citer | R

If you have a lot of money to spend you can make a deal with someone to farm you the items and you just buy them whenever you have time :/ Pricey but you get a better weapon out of it and less time spent yourself.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2012-05-18 12:25:48
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Scribe said: »
soloing a Vere is the same as masturbating with a cheese-grader. Sure it gets the job done, but it leaves you crying and in more pain than the outcome was worth.

I'm not really interested in seeing evidence of this either way, but I question whether it would even get the job done.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 12:51:02
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Leviathan.Scribe said: »
soloing a Vere is the same as masturbating with a cheese-grader. Sure it gets the job done, but it leaves you crying and in more pain than the outcome was worth.
I'm not really interested in seeing evidence of this either way, but I question whether it would even get the job done.

I would suspect it's subjectively based on pain tolerance per person.

Edit: I've heard the comment before but always just took it at face value as an amusing retort. As I think on it more -- which I didn't really want to do but once you questioned it, it was in my head and I had to carry it through to the logical conclusion -- the physical possibility of it is starting to reach outside of the realm of possibility. Anyone sensitive enough to *ahem* finish before they had completely decimated their naughty bits into something fit to be sprinkled on a taco would probably not be able to tolerate the pain of doing so.

God dammit this was not what the OP intended, I'm sure. Damn you.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 12:52:28
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
If you have a lot of money to spend you can make a deal with someone to farm you the items and you just buy them whenever you have time :/ Pricey but you get a better weapon out of it and less time spent yourself.

If you have a steady supply of income that makes you more money in less time than farming the WoE or Empy items yourself, this is a valid consideration.

But really, only valid if you have a supplier. Otherwise, all the time standing around shouting in Jeuno is better spent working on the weapon yourself.
 Siren.Vanian
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Vanian 2012-05-18 12:56:47
Link | Citer | R

Make the WoE's weapon, sure, shijin will beat it outside abyssea by a small amount but inside just having VS will do far more dmg.
I got the coins for mine back when you could only enter once per game day, and I managed to get 30 coins of decay, advancement, and birth within a week just logging in after work, doing 2 runs then doing ls event, then maybe 2 runs in the morning before work. Days off had more runs but by no means did I grind hours upon hours in there
 Leviathan.Seuss
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 12:58:44
Link | Citer | R

In response to the whole paying people to make weapons thing, I don't/won't pay for someone to build a weapon for me. I would rather go around bare knuckle fighting mobs than to pay for something in that manner. That's just me, I guess...

I don't pay for exp, I won't pay for a weapon. End of story.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 13:05:47
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Seuss said: »
In response to the whole paying people to make weapons thing, I don't/won't pay for someone to build a weapon for me. I would rather go around bare knuckle fighting mobs than to pay for something in that manner. That's just me, I guess... I don't pay for exp, I won't pay for a weapon. End of story.

I respect that and generally feel the same way myself. Just putting forth all options.

Siren.Vanian said: »
Make the WoE's weapon, sure, shijin will beat it outside abyssea by a small amount but inside just having VS will do far more dmg. I got the coins for mine back when you could only enter once per game day, and I managed to get 30 coins of decay, advancement, and birth within a week just logging in after work, doing 2 runs then doing ls event, then maybe 2 runs in the morning before work. Days off had more runs but by no means did I grind hours upon hours in there

While Abyssea is still pertinent, it is not where you'll spend the majority of your time anymore, so gauging anything solely on how it performs in Abyssea is hardly appropriate.

That said, your description of coin attainment is pretty spot on. A few hours here and there in WoE will get you finished quicker than a few hours here and there solo in Abyssea.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-05-18 13:07:33
Link | Citer | R

Between those two, go for WoE (it's a good 8% ahead).

However Brawny Adargas with Shijin will be almost as good* as the Revenant Fists +2 (within ~2%) for a lot less effort (just a million gil on AH, which is one or two Dynamis runs).

Verethragna 85 beat WoE 95 even without aftermath.

I'd recommend getting Brawny Adargaas now, and putting whatever time you would have invested in trials for either of the others into Vere. Even if it takes a few months of sporadic progress, you still end up ahead. And if you don't want to work on Vere, you still have a decent weapon without dumping time into magian trials.

* Outside Abyssea, of course; as long as you have Ascetic's Fury, though, nothing inside Abyssea is going to be any real challenge anyway, so Smite is mostly for fun-ness.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 13:14:15
Link | Citer | R

Derp. I totally forgot Brawny existed.

Told you I wasn't 100% sure. And that's why. Forgetfulness in my old age.
 Leviathan.Seuss
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 15:45:22
Link | Citer | R

Appreciate the info, gang.

I already have 21 of the Adv. coins for the WoE line anyways and since it sounds like the VS "nerf" wasn't all that harmful, I think that would be the way to go for this character.

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-05-18 16:03:25
Link | Citer | R

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before asking for suggestions. Did you want people's opinions just so you could crap on them?
 Leviathan.Seuss
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 16:25:40
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Sounds like you already had your mind made up before asking for suggestions. Did you want people's opinions just so you could crap on them?

Actually, Capt. Smart-***, I already had all these coins from doing WoE for scrolls for BLM.

People like you are the reason that no one uses these forums much anymore. Obnoxious little children who only care to chime in where there nose isn't needed/wanted for nothing more than to stir up some cheap drama. Ask a civil and polite question and get jag-off comments from kiddies like you who have nothing better to do because mommy and daddy didn't give you enough attention when they should have or enough discipline when they should have, you pick.

I weep for the future...
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-05-18 16:27:15
Link | Citer | R

Actually he was pretty much 100% correct. A lot of people do come here, ask for advice, and then turn around and totally ignore what's been said.

It's the
"Okay, I hope I can get some confirmation in my choice, but if not, oh well" mentality
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-18 16:28:37
Link | Citer | R

Appreciate the info, gang.

I already have 21 of the Adv. coins for the WoE line anyways and since it sounds like the VS "nerf" wasn't all that harmful, I think that would be the way to go for this character.

Thanks!

If you've already got that many coins I'd have reccomended doing the WoE H2H in the first place; you'll be spending only as much time as it takes to camp the build-up NMs, really, and you can work on getting them to 99 at a leisurely pace.

At that point, there's no downside if you come across more time to make something better, either.
 Leviathan.Seuss
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 16:47:47
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Actually he was pretty much 100% correct. A lot of people do come here, ask for advice, and then turn around and totally ignore what's been said.

It's the
"Okay, I hope I can get some confirmation in my choice, but if not, oh well" mentality

This is called profiling.

Unless you live in 1964 Mississippi, you're going to have a hard time in the real world with that attitude and basis for actions/responses. It'll get you in hot water before you can say "civil liberties."

i.e. "I was once robbed by a Canadian, hence, all Canadians are trouble and I will never allow another to enter my store without acting like an *** to them and holding a gun to their head while they shop."

Motenten and Ramyrez, thank you for the constructive input. Done and done.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-05-18 16:53:16
Link | Citer | R

Well I wouldn't have said anything, but then you made the I weep for the future bs post when the dude was 100% right with his post.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-05-18 16:55:35
Link | Citer | R

Actually, Capt. Smart-***, I already had all these coins from doing WoE for scrolls for BLM.

People like you are the reason that no one uses these forums much anymore. Obnoxious little children who only care to chime in where there nose isn't needed/wanted for nothing more than to stir up some cheap drama. Ask a civil and polite question and get jag-off comments from kiddies like you who have nothing better to do because mommy and daddy didn't give you enough attention when they should have or enough discipline when they should have, you pick.

I weep for the future...
There's nothing wrong with asking for confirmation on a decision you probably already made. But you asked a fairly open ended question then claimed the replies were derails or acted too good for them. To summarize:

1) you're overestimating the time commitment required to get vere or spharai, both being superior weapons. *not* knowing that you almost had 30 coins already, this was the best advice.
2) mercing out an empy is another valid option but saying that there's no personal interaction in that method isn't true as you obviously had to farm for the gil yourself
3) the AH weapon someone mentioned is another very valid option
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2012-05-18 17:02:29
Link | Citer | R

Level BLU, aoe burn, get vere in your own time and take your time if needed. Even whilst doing a PhD... just get them slower, whats the rush anyway?

Edit - nvm you said you had 21/30 coins I guess they're worth getting then in that case, kinda.

Oh and its cheese grater* not grader.
 Leviathan.Seuss
By Leviathan.Seuss 2012-05-18 17:07:59
Link | Citer | R

I weep for the future...
There's nothing wrong with asking for confirmation on a decision you probably already made. But you asked a fairly open ended question then claimed the replies were derails or acted too good for them. To summarize:

1) you're overestimating the time commitment required to get vere or spharai, both being superior weapons. *not* knowing that you almost had 30 coins already, this was the best advice.

How many Vere or Spharai have you finished solo as a MNK/WAR?

Quote:
2) mercing out an empy is another valid option but saying that there's no personal interaction in that method isn't true as you obviously had to farm for the gil yourself

Not even sure what your point is with this. You're angry that I'm unwilling to pay people to build a weapon for me?

Quote:
3) the AH weapon someone mentioned is another very valid option

When did I say that that was not a valid option?

As for the derails, if someone had actually read my original post, I clearly stated that I DID NOT want to become involved with having to build a Vere solo and in what little time I have as it is. So when someone reads that someone is excluding that option but still says that is what they suggest, then either they have absolutely no reading comprehension skills at all or they think that anyone who doesn't have that weapon is "too weak." Either way, it's a pointless derail of the question asked, yes.

As for, "acting too good..." When and where did I say that any constructive response given was stupid or worthless? I don't see that, do you see that somewhere?

Thanks, try again...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-05-18 17:44:18
Link | Citer | R

Cataclysm aoe gold box farming while solo then shouting in jeuno for the kill is another option. A mnk can easily tank chloris or uld. Sorry if you think that's a derail or profiling or wtf.
[+]
First Page 2