Newcomers' Guide to FFXIAH
First Page 2
 Shiva.Galbir
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-04 10:22:17
Link | Citer | R

Evening folks! Alyria pointed out that we don't really have a newcomers' guide to FFXIAH.com forums and as a result, a lot of new posters aren't familiar with the functions or rules of the site. So this thread was made in order to alleviate some of these problems.

Forum Rules:

For an in-depth explanation of the rules, read this thread. One common thing that I would like to address is the profanity filter. This is a feature that keeps our site alive and running. Without it Google would pull our ads and the site would die. Going against it is a direct strike against the site. Here's a quick list of words:
I feel sick...

The profanity filter mainly applies to pictures, unless used excessively in posts.

If you're not logged in to the site, or are under a certain age, profanity is filtered automatically according to the list above. However, it cannot filter pictures, thus posting pictures with the previously stated words is bad. Profanity in simple posts is acceptable as long as you aren't going overboard with it. cr: Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness

The Staff:

Admins:
Jaerik (Currently taking a break)
Scragg

Mods:
Alyria
Anye

The Search Function:

Before you make a new thread, make sure you search previous topics. This can be done by going here and clicking Topics and then typing in general terms for your thread. If nothing pops up, you're clear. If a thread pops up that fits your topic just bump it.

The topics button is highlighted here:
The Wanted Feature:

FFxiah has an awesome feature that allows us to display our interest in an item and how much we're willing to pay for it. This feature can be found here. Just type the name of the item and how much you're willing to pay. After that, just wait and hope someone shoots you a pm.

The Block Function:

When a user has driven you off the edge and you can't handle it anymore, instead of pointlessly arguing with them, simply add them to the nifty Blocklist. Doing this will make your FFXIAH.com experience a metric ton better.

Useful threads:

FAQ:

Why aren't my achievements showing up?

If you're updating your Guildwork profile from the Linkshell Community site, make sure nothing is set to private. Even something as simple as having your missions set to private will keep it from updating. After that, make sure your character is linked correctly. Go here and make sure that your Guildwork username is written correctly in the Guildwork slot. If your issue is still not resolved, feel free to bump one of the many threads and state your problem.

How do I obtain xyz? cr: Ragnarok.Ashman

There are 4 links on each items page to some helpful wiki's / pages of use.

BG Wiki for newer stuff,
GE Wiki and Wikia for older stuff. cr: Phoenix.Elspetta

Also, people are nice enough to usually post where to obtain an item in the comments section.

If all else fails, or perhaps you're browsing on a phone or 3G, please at least say "i'm too lazy to look, will you help anyway?" or "i looked and couldnt find it" or whatever. I, and most likely others, are more inclined to help someone who's honest.

More will be added! Suggestions would be awesome.
[+]
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 10:28:24
Link | Citer | R

thank you! lol

also if anyone has suggestions to add feel free to post in and we can update.

<3
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-04 10:46:55
Link | Citer | R

FAQ (and personal pet peeve): How do I obtain: xyz

There are 4 links on each items page to some helpful wiki's / pages of use. Also, people are nice enough to usually post where to obtain an item in the comments.

If all else fails, or perhaps you're browsing on a phone or 3G, please at least say "i'm too lazy to look, will you help anyway?" or "i looked and couldnt find it" or whatever. I, and most likely others, are more inclined to help someone who's honest.

(decent attempt at spelling and grammar will help your cause as well. I usually don't respond seriously to "yo ware dis be at")
[+]
 Bahamut.Xiutaru
Serveur: Bahamut
user: etherue
By Bahamut.Xiutaru 2012-05-04 10:54:35
Link | Citer | R

Point them to the Fan-Art section for more MS Paint doodles!! :o

And if the fishing thread is listed under the Useful Threads, you could, but it may be a bit extreme, to list the other general stickied ones D: ---

FFXIAH.com: [Suggestion] A few ideas to enhance this site & Recent pretty new things
Guildwork: Guildwork Client
Dynamis: Dynamis FAQ
AF3: Everything you need to know about AF3 & Everything (else) you need to know about AF3
Paladin: Paladin FAQ, Info, and Trade Studies.
Dancer: The Last Dance: Gearing Paradigms for a New Age

Google Docs:
Voidwatch: Voidwatch Weakness
DPS: Motenten's Spreadsheets
[+]
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2012-05-04 10:57:38
Link | Citer | R

Might want to note that the profanity filter mainly applies to pictures, unless of course someone is using it excessively in posts. Well I guess I could be clearer.

If you're not logged in to the site, or are under a certain age, profanity is filtered automatically according to a list. However, it cannot filter pictures, thus posting pictures with the previously stated words is bad. As I understand it, profanity in simple posts is ok as long as you aren't going overboard with it.
Eg.
Was just an example, don't bring the Walken down on me.

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-04 11:00:21
Link | Citer | R

Since there's a job specific thread up there, we have Corsair 101 in the pirate lair.
[+]
 Phoenix.Elspetta
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2012-05-04 11:01:08
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
FAQ (and personal pet peeve): How do I obtain: xyz

There are 4 links on each items page to some helpful wiki's / pages of use. Also, people are nice enough to usually post where to obtain an item in the comments.

(decent attempt at spelling and grammar will help your cause as well. I usually don't respond seriously to "yo ware dis be at")
^^ This ^^

BG Wiki for newer stuff
GE Wiki and Wikia for older stuff

It might also be an excellent suggestion to keep their eyes opened for the wall of purple that happens when new updates are announced and that they can RSS feed Kalilla's updates.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Serveur: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2012-05-04 11:03:07
Link | Citer | R

Can someone proofread the OP? I'm dying to correct it but I don't want to come off as a tool.

(Not saying it needs to be 100% correct, but considering it's a guide I feel the spelling and grammar should be correct, that is just my opinion however. *Wanders off*)
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-05-04 11:03:55
Link | Citer | R

Niniann's DNC Guide?

Just in case?
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-04 11:07:07
Link | Citer | R

Think I have all the useful threads now. Can y'all think of any other functions that I should go into detail about?

Asura.Daleterrence said: »
Can someone proofread the OP? I'm dying to correct it but I don't want to come off as a tool.

(Not saying it needs to be 100% correct, but considering it's a guide I feel the spelling and grammar should be correct, that is just my opinion however. *Wanders off*)
Sorry wrote it then posted so that I could edit as people suggested ideas. Fixing now.
By Azurea 2012-05-04 11:08:04
Link | Citer | R

Sadly half the posted gearsets in Niniann's thread no longer link to DNC sets. Some NIN, BLU, etc
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 11:08:29
Link | Citer | R

really?... u cant make out some words of what they are? teh = the

but yes we will fix it... just so it is clear in the info

great suggestions guys!
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-05-04 11:10:25
Link | Citer | R

Azurea said: »
Sadly half the posted gearsets in Niniann's thread no longer link to DNC sets. Some NIN, BLU, etc

Ahhh...NVM then. Nix that.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-04 11:15:08
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, since there is a limit to how many gear sets you can store one often has to recycle sets. Perhaps we can request more or another way to post sets since that would help thread continuity and ensure new users who are reading old threads don't get told to use almace on dnc.
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2012-05-04 11:22:44
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Yeah, since there is a limit to how many gear sets you can store one often has to recycle sets. Perhaps we can request more or another way to post sets since that would help thread continuity and ensure new users who are reading old threads don't get told to use almace on dnc.

I would love to see how they would accomplish such a feat though.
 Valefor.Zolan
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2012-05-04 12:18:15
Link | Citer | R

I actually never knew "D*mn" was part of the filter as well. Guess you learn something new everyday even if you have lurked for many years..
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-05-04 19:50:42
Link | Citer | R

Grammar nazi mod to the rescue!

(No offense to xGal, he knows I <3 him ;D)
[+]
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-04 19:59:30
Link | Citer | R

It.. looks so pretty now. :o
[+]
VIP
By alyria 2012-05-04 20:01:33
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Galbir said: »

yea anye is taking my thunder now!! jk lol <3 her
 Bismarck.Patrik
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-05-04 20:02:08
Link | Citer | R

should mention profanity in pictures specifically since that's the part that is having the most issues

EDIT: and well done. nice thread to have
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-05-04 20:07:53
Link | Citer | R

Aly Saxena said: »
Shiva.Galbir said: »

yea anye is taking my thunder now!! jk lol <3 her
SUCK IT, ALY, IT'S MY THUNDER
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-04 20:09:36
Link | Citer | R

*camera*
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-05-04 20:12:24
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Well, there is a new thread :P
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-05-04 20:14:56
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Sylow said: »

Oh that's right, Sylow's thread--but if I'm not mistaken there's a few conversational posts in there, too; is there enough information for newer users to glean? (Speaking for myself, too, actually. Leveling DNC atm ^^;)
 Phoenix.Elspetta
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2012-05-04 20:15:32
Link | Citer | R

It's already in the OP, I gave the link to Gal earlier today.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-05-04 20:15:51
Link | Citer | R

BOO BAD ANYE

NOT RESPONDING AT ALL ;;
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-04 20:16:00
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said: »

Oh that's right, Sylow's thread--but if I'm not mistaken there's a few conversational posts in there, too; is there enough information for newer users to glean? (Speaking for myself, too, actually. Leveling DNC atm ^^;)

The first few posts are very informative.

Also, can add this to the OP. Comprehensive BLU Whisker burning guide for Abyssea. It was never stickied for whatever reason so it's hard for people to find it.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-05-04 20:19:32
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
BOO BAD ANYE

NOT RESPONDING AT ALL ;;
TO WHAT

OH

BRB
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
The first few posts are very informative.

Also, can add this to the OP. Comprehensive BLU Whisker burning guide for Abyssea. It was never stickied for whatever reason so it's hard for people to find it.
Thanks, Proth; adding.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-04 20:26:42
Link | Citer | R

That would be my fault I guess. She mostly linked my (now gone) sets for the higher-end stuff and I've been at (probably well beyond but I don't dare delete a set) the item set limit for a long time, which forces me to cannibalize sets when I need to make new ones. Could use more tbh, but that doesn't seem like it'll happen.

At any rate, Niniann's guide is depreciated and she doesn't play DNC as much nowadays (not that either of us have really been on the past couple weeks). Sylow's thread is certainly the better option to link.
First Page 2