Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 635 636 637 ... 834 835 836
By Jetackuu 2020-02-21 19:09:11
Link | Citer | R

As it was brought up to me: yes, drivers still matter for XI (drivers always matter) and intel HD have terrible drivers (as in theory it should support XI just fine, even at 1080P 60fps.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-02-22 15:28:48
Link | Citer | R

Anyone have an updated AP Radar by chance? Or would anyone be able to update it? The version I have works but won’t let me change the colors so it’s a giant sea of purple names and only a singular Pink NM.

I just wanna be able to customize it again is all.

If this sort of thing isn’t covered on FFXIAH, sorry for wasting time.

Thanks
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-23 11:54:15
Link | Citer | R

It appears they fixed whatever was causing the issue with the siren quest
By Wotasu 2020-02-24 08:59:15
Link | Citer | R

Has anyone seen August spawn on 3rd wave in SR since Siren update? I know it's random has fk, but Ive done SR more or less daily last week, and only seen him once when leader picked Single August SR fight.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-02-24 11:17:26
Link | Citer | R

Anyone think Ridill drop rate was raised?
[+]
 Asura.Mewwgoat
user: mewgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2020-02-24 15:37:43
Link | Citer | R

Anyone know if running windower (namely for gearswap) on a cloud based service like gdrive or one drive is viable? I do edit my luas often and sometimes forget to move a copy from one to another, and I know that I could end up overwriting and regressing an update if I just blanket move gs over.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-02-24 15:39:59
Link | Citer | R

Use a symbolic link to link your onedrive or dropbox folder to your windower or ashita folder. There's a guide somewhere on the forums here.

If you have a logger style plugin, that could result in constant io with the remote and be less than ideal. An alternative could be to just symlink a few of windower's subfolders.
By tyalangan 2020-02-24 15:52:57
Link | Citer | R

Looking for some Economics 101. Has something happened in the last month or so that would allow for AH sellers to increase prices? I was looking at a few crafting items and noticed since February one or two crafters DOUBLED the price of HQ gear. The gear had been a steady price range for the past year but for some reason this month that changed (yes I am bummed and wish I had bought all this stuff last month before the influx).

So my question could be loaded and unanswerable but is there something specific that has brought more gil in that crafters are taking advantage of, is this price fixing, or could it have been a new crafter that realized prices were too low and boosted them to higher than any server average and idiots bought them anyway? (The answer can be "yes" lol)
By Pantafernando 2020-02-24 16:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Hard to tell if the HQ prices spiked due to mat price dramatically rising (increase in costs) or its the mat price that spiked due to more demand on HQ gear.

Game wise i dont remember anything that could change offer or demand from SE side. So its just speculation left. Either bans wave have been hitting some RMTs or maybe some unknown exploit were fixed. Or maybe just now some side effect from previous change started to kick, like the turning of prize powder stackable to 99, generating increased influx of gil in economy.

One thing for sure, if people are paying that much high prices its because people are becoming more and more rich. Either massive gil buying or gil generation.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-24 16:35:13
Link | Citer | R

It's kind of interesting right? Very dynamic.

People don't have anything new to buy, so they're going back and picking up the small upgrades like NQ to HQ. At the same time materials are harder to get because no one wants to do that ***, again because they don't have anything new to buy, so why get money.

Couple that with the absolutely *** ridiculous amount of sparks/gil on the daily, and 30c per mil. and well. Yeah.

On top of that there seems to be heavy market manipulation going on.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-02-24 16:40:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »

On top of that there seems to be heavy market manipulation going on.

This has been getting more and more noticeable lately. It's quite aggravating.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-24 16:44:25
Link | Citer | R

It's just like real life, isn't it lovely?
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-02-24 16:50:35
Link | Citer | R

and 30c per mil.

Is that too low? Or the lowest?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-24 16:54:36
Link | Citer | R

30 is actually on the high end for the english bots/sellers. (a year ago it was still a whole dollar)

Just this month guy was doing .20, lots of .25s and .27s

Quote:
500M gil + x495 S. Astral Detritus + Stikini Ring+1x5 + 30,000 Alexandrites* for $250

Billion gil for a quarter a mil basically (this is why there are always so many stikini rings +1 floating around)
By Jetackuu 2020-02-24 17:42:38
Link | Citer | R

tyalangan said: »
Looking for some Economics 101.

Probably the last thing to do online, especially this site.

tyalangan said: »
Has something happened in the last month or so that would allow for AH sellers to increase prices?

Them closing the dupes in the past 3 months would certainly increase costs for a lot of crafted items, yeah.

A lot of other items are still severely inflated due to the overall inflation by people and their duping/rmt (lol@12k/beitetsu...).
By Pantafernando 2020-02-25 01:56:36
Link | Citer | R

It appears they fixed whatever was causing the issue with the siren quest

Maybe not.

Just received a message of emergency maintenance on Leafallia.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-02-25 06:30:27
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Mewwgoat said: »
Anyone know if running windower (namely for gearswap) on a cloud based service like gdrive or one drive is viable? I do edit my luas often and sometimes forget to move a copy from one to another, and I know that I could end up overwriting and regressing an update if I just blanket move gs over.
I do this using Dropbox. Have the Dropbox folder on my home PC and work PC, with the Windower folder in it.
 Bismarck.Batton
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-02-25 08:27:51
Link | Citer | R

Has SE ever responded to the half-sided-ness of "here's a mage weapon with melee stats, but no other gear to go with it"? This is my continued complaint of "if you put X number of stacks of this material, we'll give you 8 more physical damage and Acc+30". Would it have been easier / obvious to just make the magic damage stat = physical damage stat? Damn near identical as it is.. continued mage rage..
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-25 08:35:19
Link | Citer | R

Wut
 Bismarck.Batton
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-02-25 08:36:43
Link | Citer | R

Aeonic / SU5 weapon augments, i know the post is a little hyper condensed
By Pantafernando 2020-02-25 08:46:12
Link | Citer | R

Even if they responded, and the answer is kinda obvious (they are just lazy to make job specific improvements), that wouldnt mean they would change their way to make upgrades.

I know what you mean, kinda of piss me that mage jobs hardly have any useful Relic, Empyrean and Aeonic weapons leaving only mythics to aim for.
By Afania 2020-02-25 08:48:03
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Draylo said: »
I have no idea why Acer is considered so bad

As I said last page, build quality. If you get a properly made one with no issues, it's got the same capabilities as anything else in the spec range. But, Acer has had more frequent issues with using subpar parts or having major design flaws than the other manufacturers.

After a model range has been out for a couple years and the most common issues with it have been identified, it's not as much of a problem. But, if you're buying the latest model then going with a manufacturer that has a better track record reduces the chances you have problems in the future.

tldr; your Acer is probably perfectly fine, Buuki's Acer is probably perfectly fine, and millions of other people probably have perfectly fine Acers.. but as a prospective consumer who has not yet attached themselves to a product by purchasing it the failure rate is higher than the other manufacturers and that's an important metric worth considering

In past 10 years or so Ive owned 1 HP, 4 acers, 1 dell.

HP-> motherboard died in less than 2 years.
Acer 1 -> lasted 3 years then motherboard died
Acer 2 -> lasted 5 years, still going then I sold it.
Acer 3 -> lasted 4+ years, still going.
Acer 4 -> 1.5 year now still going
Dell -> ***tons of software and hardware issues since purchase. Send to repair several times within the 1st year and issues still persist.

If Acer is bad then other brands are just as bad if not worse, and more expensive too. Laptop market is a competitive, saturated market so every manufacturer will just cost reduction on everything. The quality of your laptop is just pure luck.

If everything is pure luck I may as well pay for the cheaper one lol. It's better to pay $200 less if they are going to die within a few years anyways.

As far as your suggestions:
Mac -> too bad it's not windows
Lenovo -> no thanks to anything that may be related to Chinese spyware
Asus -> its just a prettier and more expensive Acer IMO.
By SimonSes 2020-02-25 08:50:44
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Batton said: »
Aeonic / SU5 weapon augments, i know the post is a little hyper condensed

Putting Aeonic and SU5 weapons augments in the same league as "bad for mages" kinda make me question if you really ask this seriously. All mages type SU5 weapons have path C with very specific "not simple accuracy/attack" augments.
Aeonics on the other hand are indeed strictly melee oriented and here complains are pretty accurate.
By Pantafernando 2020-02-25 08:51:27
Link | Citer | R

Well we shouldnt ignore that machine is also affected by the user.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-02-25 08:56:45
Link | Citer | R

you realize that posting your personal experience with 6 machines is not actual data, right?

you can run windows on a mac, and it's still got the best build quality of any of them, you just give up price:performance so it's not something most people on a budget would consider

lenovo's not been known to have anything firmware related(none have, not that it means they don't) and any user with an idea what they're doing will clean install windows on any new machine anyway

'its just a prettier and more expensive Acer IMO' - again this isn't logic, it isn't data, it's just your personal bias based on having bought acer machines and not having owned an asus machine in the last decade

https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf - actual data, presented by the company footing the bill for the repairs(warranty company)
[+]
By Afania 2020-02-25 09:34:08
Link | Citer | R

The "data" that you posted is 2009 though, I doubt it's still accurate in 2020. I don't even own any laptop before 2009 lol.

Acer reformed several times in past 10 years because they acknowledged the cost reduction strategy isn't sustainable. So saying Acer in 2020 is the same as pre 2009 isn't fair for them.

Same can be said for Asus. It has been facing decline in past 10 years and no longer the Asus it once was. There's ***tons of report on internet about Asus laptop has poor quality too. They had mass layoff just 2 years ago. If their quality is still good why would they decline?

And yeah, I don't own Asus, but my family owned 2 and none of them last as long as my Acer, so the Asus experience is just as valid as Acer lol.

Running Windows on a Mac is more work. Pay $500 more AND do more work for a laptop just because it potentially last a few more years? Honestly what's the point if I'm getting a new laptop every 2-3 years anyways?

As far as Lenovo goes, I don't really care if nothing has been found yet. Chinese government owns ALL of the company in China, they can do anything or collect any data if they want to. Surely they can give us something with an update or so. I'm just gonna say no to everything from China.

The point is that laptop by nature isn't kind of machine thats meant to last for a long time. It isn't your TV or refrigerator lol. Laptop is meant to be replaced every couple of years when new things came out.

To me there's no real point to pay $200 more for the same spec just because some 2009 data says certain brand has a few more % malfunction rate. If there's 2020 data I may consider* giving other brands more chance if the difference is big enough.

Otherwise I'm just gonna look at the price tag and spec. If I'm unlucky and got a piece of trash then I'm just gonna buy a new one after 2 years when newer things come out.
 Bismarck.Batton
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-02-25 09:43:40
Link | Citer | R

I'm referring to the 'diversity' of the paths For Su5 weapons, A&B are viable for melee since that's what they do. I'm sure we all agree that physical stat augments aren't conducive to mages. We don't make subtle blow builds, and we have Khatvanga 'for funsies'. I just think it was a missed opportunity like everything else.

The original question is if anyone questioned SE & received feedback, so I'm just posting here to see if this was ever a topic at one point and if it just fizzled out.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-02-25 10:17:06
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Batton said: »
The original question is if anyone questioned SE & received feedback, so I'm just posting here to see if this was ever a topic at one point and if it just fizzled out.
It's not really just a question to be asked, as it's just design. Relics, Empyreans, Aeonics, and Su5s are all (for the most part) "high-damage-low-delay" weapons. Which is a design space that lends itself better for melee than for magery.
Hence why Claustrum is/was a meme. (and why mages used Lv51 staves for the bulk of this game's life.)

As for why there's 3 sets of ultimate weapons that function in the same way... Well that's because of the decision to never add jobs to Relics. So we got Empyreans, Relic "equivalents", for ToAU and WotG jobs... then we got Aeonics, Relic "equivalents", for GEO and RUN... Which has the side effect of giving Base and RotZ jobs 3 choices to choose from. (in other words, game design faux pas)
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-02-25 10:21:45
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
The "data" that you posted is 2009 though, I doubt it's still accurate in 2020.
That's a fair point, but in the absence of newer data you don't just throw out the data you do have.

Your post is all bs opinion, you can find anecdotes about bad machines from any manufacturer. Without aggregate data, they don't mean anything. This is the same as why none of us care about the random 'testing' a setup on xi and posting a ***parse or a blatantly false average ws number.

Running windows on a mac is not a significant amount of work, and anyone who believes that is clearly not technically inclined, at all. I also have not recommended mac, just mentioned that they have excellent build quality. They have better failure rates and they all around feel like premium machines.

Asus are rarely $200 more than acer for the same specs, in fact the Asus I linked was a better deal for the specs than the acer linked a page apart.

That said, I don't know why you choose to make a stand on an issue where you seem to have minimal to no knowledge that was dead for over a page. You come in late and babble personal opinion all over, but you've offered nothing in terms of actual evidence to support any of your claims.

You don't like anything chinese and you don't mind buying a new laptop in 2 yrs if you get a bum one. Great, so you buy an Acer. Nothing is stopping anyone from getting what they want, but not everyone wants to or is able to treat their tech as disposable or is scared to death that something was made in china.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 635 636 637 ... 834 835 836