Paladin FAQ, Info, And Trade Studies.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Paladin FAQ, Info, and Trade Studies.
Paladin FAQ, Info, and Trade Studies.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 45 46 47
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-04 11:47:32
Link | Citer | R

Thanx for all the great work Martel.

One thing to note: Aegis does get about 5% more block rate than Size 3, but the lower and upper bounds may be slightly different, and I'm not sure we've nailed those down.

I'd guess the skill relation changes every 200 points rather than 100.

I'm not sure how to tell a lot of the new VW NMs lvls, but ~30% block rate with Aegis (using 0 shield gear) sounds about right. Luckily you've got fanatics often, and can alternate between sentinel and palisade/reprisal. Just goes to show Pld's should be trying for both shields, as if you wan't a substantial block rate, you've just got to get Ochain, because you're NOT bridging that gap with Aegis.

What was the block rate % for Ochain with the lvl gap? Curious what Ochain's block rate was with 10-15 lvl difference.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-11-04 11:52:53
Link | Citer | R

94% with 10 levels difference and 86% with 15 levels difference.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-04 11:55:15
Link | Citer | R

So Ochain can still (mostly) cap block rate on the higher lvl stuff with stacked shield skill. Not bad lol.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-11-04 11:58:59
Link | Citer | R

Yeah. It looked like he capped O.Chain block rate against the crawlers with 433 skill.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-04 13:11:28
Link | Citer | R

Wanted to say a big thanx to Martel/Showmo/Gustavve and a few others again for all the hard work towards knocking this question out. Should help make more informed gear choices for damage reduction and better compare shields per situation.

I'll spend a couple hours this weekend update/re-org the OP to include all the useful data and summary portions so newer Plds can make more informed decisions.
 Ifrit.Showmo
Serveur: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2011-11-05 16:55:41
Link | Citer | R

Awesome tests Martel. That is a ton of data indeed. Player level having no effect on block rate is what surprised me the most; that means the only thing that really matters is your shield skill being compared with the mob's level in some way.

One note about your block rate gain theory though:

Quote:
Below 400 skillgain/4=blockGain.
Above 400 skillgain/5=blockGain.

I'm assuming you mean any extra skill above 400 follows a formula of skillgain/5=blockGain. The test done previously here (link) starts with a base of 404 Shield skill, and adds +39 Shield Skill on top of that, but the result ends up being 0.27% block rate increase from 1 skill (roughly 4 skill = 1% block rate). The sample size was 1,500, so it could have been variance, but by a whole 0.07% (0.27-0.20).

But the main differences from our tests were mob level; mine was only Decent Challenge while yours was Incredibly Tough. But also note from my recent test (link), the Fear Dearg in this case was a Very Tough, and block rate gain followed the SkillGain/5 model (or 1 skill = +0.21% block rate).

I think the amount of block rate increase you gain from Shield Skill is scaled based on the mob's level in relation to your Shield skill, meaning that +1 Shield skill might not always grant the same block rate increase based on the mob's level. It seems that when the mob's level gets higher and our Shield skill falls behind, its value decreases (5-6 skill needed to increase block rate by 1%), but when the mob's level falls behind our Shield skill, the Shield skill's value increases (3-4 skill to increase block rate by 1%). At least that's what it seems like so far.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-06 09:30:23
Link | Citer | R

First off, thanks a lot for all the work you guys put into the testings, hypotheses and conclusions! I think it's safe to say that it's greatly appreciated by the ppl who actually care a bit about PLD anymore.

As Neo started pointing out though, how effective would adding shield skill gear be?
The most important spots would be head, neck, back and feet, where you'd add +7-12 skill or could add 3-5% PDT instead.

Now, my question is if you'd take PDT over skill in most situations, since adding 1-2% blockrate doesn't seem to give you as much dmg reduction (reliably) as the PDT counterparts would.

You've to excuse me, I'm not really great with maths, so I can't figure this out myself. :(
Is there a point where adding shield skill (meaning blockrate increase) would be more favorable, like with a lower or higher base-blockrate?
Or will the increase be static, regardless of base blockrate?

From what I see, getting shield skill over PDT against higher-lvl mobs, doesn't seem to be beneficial at all. Except for maybe re-capping Ochain's blockrate, if anything.

For example, taking the feet spot with 12 skill vs 3% PDT.
That would give us 2-3% blockrate (from skill) * ~60% dmg reduction (from shield block), resulting in 1,8% reduced dmg vs 3% static dmg reduction?
 Leviathan.Dodu
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-11-06 12:37:09
Link | Citer | R

Any thoughts on good test subjects for 0 shield skill with Ochain? It should probably be an environment that doesn't allow for skillups, but I'm not really sure how that would change the reliability of the tests.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-06 12:37:55
Link | Citer | R

Well, I currently lack the Jobs/gear to do the 0~skill/blockrate floor tests. So I decided to take a look at the opposite end of the spectrum. Block rate Caps.

Block rate caps
65% has long been believed to be the block rate hard cap. With the recent exceptions of Ochain and from more recent testing, Aegis.

There are some Aegis tests that showed block rates higher than 65%(in this thread actually. Showmo's low lvl mob test 75% vs 37 mob) And Neo's Test with a 68.7 rate on a lvl 80 mob.

But are these just from it being Aegis? Or a post 75 boost? Is 65% still the cap for normal shields?

Tests
Code
Gleaming Shield	
PLD95	Korrigan 73~75
Skill		404
Block%		71.24%	
Total Hits	5026	

When I did the initial 404 skill test I thought, "Ok, a 70% block cap. And of course, I can't just assume I'm capped and move on, I have to prove it. So another test. If the rate doesn't increase with more skill, then I'm capped.
Code
Comparison
Gleaming Shield	
PLD95	Korrigan 73~75
Gear+		+0		+52
Skill		404		456
Block%		71.24%	77.26%
Gain		0		6.02%
Total Hits	5026	5200

And.. it went up!? By 6%.. What the hell? I can't even cap with base skill on a mob 20~ levels lower than me? Weird. And +6% for +52 skill is really small. Maybe it's capping? But 77% would be a pretty weird cap. Variance? Maybe it's actually capping at 75% or 80%?

Well, I brought along a Castellan's Shield(size 4) to do some dmg- test after these. But let's see how it does in these same tests.
Code
Castellan's Shield
PLD95	Korrigan 73~75 
Gear+		+0		+52
Skill		404		456
Block%		51.33%	54.65%
Gain		0		3.32%
Total Hits	5622	5401

... Different shield, same ***. Very low block gains from lots of skill. Implies a 55% cap to me.

Can't add any more skill to confirm cap. I could drop some skill and see if rate decreases, but how much skill to drop?

Seems like it'd be simpler to just get a lower lvl mob and test again. Then I should get that 77% or 55% with 404 skill and confirm the possible caps.

So, over to the Mourioche.
Code
Gleaming Shield	
PLD95	Mourioche 62~68 
Gear+		+0		+52
Skill		404		456
Block%		70.68%	77.14%
Gain		0		6.46%
Total Hits	5171	5347

Castellan's Shield
PLD95	Mourioche62~68 
Gear+		+0		+52
Skill		404		456
Block%		50.22%	55.63%
Gain		0		5.41%
Total Hits	5224	5863

... Deja Vu. This looks familiar. So I move to a mob 5~13 lvl lower and my block rates are the same? ...The hell?

So, how do we explain this? If the factors affecting block rate are skill and mob lvl, why has reducing the mob lvl not increased the block rate?

The only explanation that occurs to me, would be some kinda reverse lvl correction cap. That is to say, we're only getting credit for so many lvls over the mob, in terms of base skill. Base skill being treated like player lvl in this case. And after that point, we cease to benefit from more base skill.

But even that seems weird considering that player lvl itself seemed to have no effect on block rates. But aside from this, I have no idea as to why adding skill with gear increased block rate, but lowering mob lvl didn't.

Anyway even after this weirdness I still don't feel I've really nailed down the block rate caps. I can certainly say it's Not 65%. But 75% for size 3, and 55% for size 4 feel fairly reasonable.

I might go back to the korrigans eventually, and try testing with different skill.. but.. without knowing the lvl of each mob, I could end up with all 75's or all 73's. Which could skew my numbers. So I'd have to re-test a control... so that may or may not happen.

Block DMG reduction
Finally, about those DMG- test for the Castellan's shield. I don't like using low per-hit dmg for dmg- tests so I don't wanna use the mandy tests. So.
Code
Castellan's Shield
PLD95	Mourning Crawler105 
Gear+		+0		+52
Skill		404		456
Block%		15.27%	26.49%
Gain		0		11.22%
PDT used	44%		1%
avg.block	10.93	18.96
avg Nblock	104.15	184.28
BlockDMG-	-89.5%	-89.7%
TDT-*		-13.6	-23.7
Total Hits	5224	5863

*the total dmg taken reduction from the shield, via block rate vs dmg-

Nice to see that I can use PDT on these guys without messing with the DMG- numbers.

Awesome DMG-, about 90%. ***block rate. 10% at 404 skill... I'd like to see a 369 skill test, lol. Might find the block rate floor.

Terrible over all dmg-. But I bet it'd be fun with reprisal and palisade. The spikes would hit like a train. But still, really terrible shield.

For comparison:
Code
Shield TDT vs 105 mob
Gear+->		+0		+52
Skill->		404		456
Castellan's	-13.6%	-23.7%
Gleaming	-21.4%	-27.6%
Aegis*		-27.5%	-36.1%
Ochain 		-60.8%	-64.7%**

*Projection based on the diff between size 3 and aegis block rate, and reported Aegis DMG-.
 -77.5%(75%+2.5% SDB Based on Neo's testing)
**Ochain Capped block rate at 433 skill. 
All values are without Creed hands.

Well, that's all for now.

EDIT: I completely forgot the parse data.
Gleaming data
Castellan's Data
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-06 12:43:39
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dodu said: »
Any thoughts on good test subjects for 0 shield skill with Ochain? It should probably be an environment that doesn't allow for skillups, but I'm not really sure how that would change the reliability of the tests.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is campaign mobs. You won't skill up, but the lvl of the mobs is unknown. And the randomness of campaign is a pain in the ***. At least you don't actually need a battle. Just campaign mobs up in a bst controlled zone.

I can't think of any other place where you could fight decent lvl mobs an not skill up.
 Leviathan.Dodu
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-11-06 12:52:44
Link | Citer | R

Oh, you don't skillup on campaign mobs when you don't have tags? News to me. Guess I can go train mobs in Castle Z., then.

Thanks!
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-06 12:56:38
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dodu said: »
Oh, you don't skillup on campaign mobs when you don't have tags? News to me. Guess I can go train mobs in Castle Z., then.

Thanks!
They patched that a while back, basically saying FUUUUUU to all the skillup people.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-06 17:05:32
Link | Citer | R

Well Martel, as for the anomalous results for the lower lvl mobs, I wouldn't be too surprised honestly. The current damage formula works like this:

From Wiki:

Melee cRatio = Ratio - 0.050 x level difference

"This is not, however, applied in reverse if the player is the higher level being attacked."

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Level_Correction_Function_and_pDIF

For damage dealt, you're penalized for each lvl the mob is above you, but you gain nothing when you're above that lvl. So as long as your shield skill is above the appropriate skill lvl for the mob you're fighting, there is nothing more for you to do. And non Ochain shields generally perform poorly on higher lvl mobs due to the massive amount of skill it takes to get % increases in shield skill, and the much higher rate at which block rate % decreases as your enemy lvl's increases.

Seems pretty straight forward to develop a spreadsheet now to determine what skill you need to cap block rate by shield type and mob lvl.

As for the question above about PDT gear, I can't think of many situations where you'd want to wear shield skill in almost any spot over the other PDT options (other than if you're tying to get TP via shield mastery) when your goal is damage reduction.

There are other benefits of items in those slots though (mp restore from af3+2 head, parry/evasion rate on boxers if your enemy isn't far overcapped on acc, hp+ on af1+1 feet).
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-06 17:13:25
Link | Citer | R

Now, you see, the thing I can't figure out about the level correction type thing.

Is that, unlike actual lvl correction, in the dmg formula, I Am receiving benefits for being higher lvl than the mob. Or I'd have the same block rate as I do against an EM mob.

At lvl 90, I parsed a 45% block rate vs EM(size 3 shield, 369 skill). Now at 95, I parsed 70% vs mobs, 20~ lvl below. But also 70% vs mobs 25~38 lvl below. In neither case was block rate capped, and adding skill moved the rate up to 77%.

So there is a benefit for being above the mob, but it seems to have capped at some point.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-06 17:55:50
Link | Citer | R

Oh I see what you're saying. That is frustrating lol.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-06 18:50:31
Link | Citer | R

What's also strange is that you have the same blockrate against mobs of different lvls where the shield skill of a PLD would be different as well.
For example, when you fought lvl 62-68 lvl mobs, the shield skill for a PLD of that lvl would have been 212-241 and the for the korrigans (73-75) and a PLD of that lvl it would have been 266-276 skill.
So that is a difference of 25-64 shield skill between all the possible lvl combinations and yet the same blockrate.

Whereas, the added shield skill from gear (+52) then increased said same blockrate.

Edit: Maybe the shield skill (a PLD would have had at those lvls) somehow negated the penalty you might have received from a lvl-correction? This is assuming that you still get penalties even if you're higher lvl, as you (seemingly) didn't cap blockrate still.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-11-06 18:52:56
Link | Citer | R

Only thing I could imagine is some weird coding where there is a base block rate cap you can reach via latent skill, and you can only go past that with gear and/or job abilities. Hence the discrepancy of block rates.

Though that seems silly, as I can't think of anything else that works like that (maybe spell interrupt?).
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-06 19:04:20
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Neosutra said: »
Only thing I could imagine is some weird coding where there is a base block rate cap you can reach via latent skill, and you can only go past that with gear and/or job abilities. Hence the discrepancy of block rates.

Though that seems silly, as I can't think of anything else that works like that (maybe spell interrupt?).
Next emergency maintenance: "Current known issues. Shields were not blocking at the intended rate. This has been corrected."
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-06 19:13:26
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, whether you use job lvl, or skill lvl at the mob lvl for comparison, it's still weird as hell.

I had the same thought, Neo. But that's so freaking weird.

If the difference were lvl based and capped after a certain amount, then I could see skill+ still raising block rate, when lowering mob lvl didn't.

But my earlier tests showed changing my lvl by 5 while maintaining skill made no difference in block rate.

Although, that was when the mob was a higher lvl than me. Maybe it works differently in reverse? Still weird though.

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Next emergency maintenance: "Current known issues. Shields were not blocking at the intended rate. This has been corrected."

If they changed something vital at this point and I had to re-test everything... *twitch* *twitch*
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-06 19:15:31
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Martel said: »

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

If they changed something vital at this point and I had to re-test everything... *twitch* *twitch*
Depends, is it going to be a positive result? Perhaps they did screw something up and just don't know cause of the level of difficulty in being able to tell.

If the aspir formula was jacked up after one update, no one would be able to tell without significant testing.
 Ifrit.Showmo
Serveur: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2011-11-07 23:50:56
Link | Citer | R

Saw this post on the official forums:

Camate said:
Howdy :) I will be sure to pass on your feedback to make it easier for you all to test content.

In the meantime I wanted to pass along some other related information.

In addition to the current features we have setup in your Mog House for setting and equipment, we are working towards adding commands for the below items:
• Setting your level
Setting your skill values
• Warping to areas
• Changing movement speed
• Becoming invincible
However, the testing volume for these commands is quite large and since it will take more time than your average update, it will be a bit before we implement them. Apologies for any inconveniences the lack of these commands may be causing, but just hang in there a bit longer.

We will also be adding Retrace scrolls and reraise items to the list of items you can obtain.
Source

Looks like foreseeable 0 Shield Skill Ochain & Aegis tests may be possible soon? Anyone know how to find the test server's memlocs for KParser?

It would also make it easier to test the effects of Shield Skill if we're able to freely manipulate our skill levels.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-08 00:09:54
Link | Citer | R

Set skill, set invincible, go to bed, wake up with complete test! Sounds like win.

Well, I suppose they'd need to add a block message for being 'invincible' to work for parsing or it'd have to display the correct damage but not affect your hp... Either way, I'm fully in favor of a block message being added...
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-11-08 00:17:24
Link | Citer | R

Hmmm. Now if only I was on the test server... I'm avoiding the new payment system like the plague it is.

Edit: Yeah, sek. Block messages, SE? Please? One of the things I most want SE to do. That and making ranged attacks shield blockable.
 Carbuncle.Blazer
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-11-13 15:37:04
Link | Citer | R

Question:

Friend is telling me the cap for + enmity is 100, I have always believed it's +50. There is some testing I've seen but it was done in 2008. What is the current cap for +enmity?
 Fenrir.Mrtoker
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Miklov
By Fenrir.Mrtoker 2011-11-13 15:39:19
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Blazer
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-11-13 15:43:50
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mrtoker said: »

UGHHH FUUUHHHHHH.

thanks.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-13 16:02:30
Link | Citer | R

http://kanican.livejournal.com/14465.html
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2011-11-15 05:17:37
Link | Citer | R

Hey :) just wanted to start by saying all this info is just mind blowing too much i can handle as far as math and equations go tho lol. i wish i understood the Kparser info and stuff like that but guess you either get it or you dont type of thing. well down to business, i'm posting right now because i was interested in a very detailed xml for pld prefferably an aegis owner one since im currently building an aegis and was hoping to have the proper -mdt and -pdt set down as well as cure cheat set and all the other good stuff. Neosutra told me a while back that his xml on first page was kinda out of date so was hoping something similar but without the Burtgang because im just gonna almace/aegis and slowly build maybe an excal come 99 cap when we get to see the final weapons and its determined which is more worth the journey to complete. hope i dont get jumped on for building an aegis and not knowing certain things because hey at least i came for help and not walk around acting like i know more then i do :) (which i actually do know a bit but not enough for all these math/equation genius's lol)
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-16 18:01:48
Link | Citer | R

I would suggest that you use Neo's .xml and just update the gear with what you have available or think is best to use.

Or you want a ready-to-use .xml without putting any thoughts into the sets yourself?
 Bahamut.Bizarro
Serveur: Bahamut
user: bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2011-11-16 18:14:58
Link | Citer | R

Have I fallen that far down your list that you didnt even ask me Cololo? /shamed
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 45 46 47